Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:

M1-65b
    1765/3

That’s awesome! I sold that coin a couple months ago on eBay. I’m assuming you’re the one who bought it. I didn’t pick up on the overdate. Well done! I don’t think I would have sold it if I knew that. Congratulations! Always fun to cherry-pick. I always thought it was a pleasing coin, probably deserves an AU but missing the luster, I was the one who sent it in to be graded and photographed.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW said:

@JohnnyCache said:

M1-65b
    1765/3

That’s awesome! I sold that coin a couple months ago on eBay. I’m assuming you’re the one who bought it.

Yes, I bought it off eBay.

First I need to admit I'm a sucker for one real's, both pillars and portraits, that are XF and higher and not priced crazy. I have several of them that I've bought and kept outside of my main collection.

In this case I thought it was the overdate variety based off true view images and said what the heck I'll take a shot to see if it is.

As you mentioned, the coin actually does look nicer in-hand than one might otherwise perceive it to based on the pictures or its given grade. The way I look at the coin is that it's a solid for the grade 45.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2022 5:18AM

Ah, just was graded and imaged! 1980 Panama 100 Balboas in 69 PL (I don't see the ?mark in obverse field to right):

https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/45217263_246355341_max.jpg

I can't get the image to directly post, any help on this?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2022 6:33AM

@7Jaguars said:
    https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/45217263_246355341_max.jpg

I can't get the image to directly post, any help on this?

Do not know if this works, hth.

Steps I did, I use chrome:
    Open that url link
    Right-click on the image and select Copy Image
    Go back to the message and right-click and Paste

Depending on the size of the image and/or internet speed, may take a little bit to show up a url link with the image to be displayed here.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are doing great @JohnnyCache

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:
    @JohnnyCache said:

I was able to pick up a copy of The March 1997 Spink America sale of The Norweb Collection of Brazilian, Bolivian, Colombian and Chilean coins.

The catalog had a realized price list (via a faxed copy) tucked in the back.

I will buy that catalog when I can find it. I am interested in the Bolivian lots: pillars, quarter real 1796-1808, and Republic decimals 1864-1909.

Nice Colombian coin.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2022 10:38AM

Just BINed on Ebay. Bolivia pillar 2R for $22 + ship? Yes PLEASE

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

here's a few newps I'm happy with...
    I

'

m

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr Eureka I may have been the underbidder

I was in meetings all day and could not follow thru

Great series to collect.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Picked this up today. A really nice 65, and apparently pretty scarce like that. Now I’m tempted to start collecting the series!

If your goal is completion, then don’t bother starting. You will never complete it.

Though nothing prevents you from doing a mint type set, year set, or just randomly collecting those that speak to you.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

One of two new additions from MrE

The luster looks electric, almost need sunglasses, and a very solid strike, it's pin point sharp.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:

@Boosibri said:

The luster looks electric, almost need sunglasses, and a very solid strike, it's pin point sharp.

MS 65 ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@bidask said:

@JohnnyCache said:

@Boosibri said:

MS 65 ?

Indeed

• Options

@Achori said:
    added recently this 1838 North Peru 4 Escudos Ex Hammel, Ex Goodman, was out of the market since 1996 Sale.

Awesome coin and a rarity

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Another from MrE. A rare Guatemalan 4R with an Arabic 5, ex Vidal Quadras y Ramon

Have read a lot of MrE, wonder if there is a url link for his website? or only on shows? just curios. Thanks!

btw, I have seen this coin, but not in good condition, with some graffiti that to me damage the coin:

• Options

That 1807 Lima 8R has the big luster of the hoard pieces but without the usual edge scuzz and/or adjustment marks and/or planchet flaws. Nice piece!

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Another from MrE. A rare Guatemalan 4R with an Arabic 5, ex Vidal Quadras y Ramon

I have the more common Spanish 5, NGC XF-45. I bought it back in 2004.

Too bad you weren't collecting these earlier. Stacks sold the NGC VF-35 years ago and it's quite a nice coin. I have never seen the AU-58 offered, only the image on the NGC website.

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    Happy Thursday...

Found this on eBay, and impulsively bid for it a week ago. Nobody after me. Surprisingly, I think I bought it at a great price based on records. Bottom line, do not end your auctions on Thursday at 10 30 AM EST as nobody will be on eBay...

I saw it and am looking for a nice type coin. This one definitely qualifies but never have the budget for one.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC for sure did not have the budget, but now is coming home... :D It is my only 8 reales from colonial times. I liked the tone, looks nice, and placed a low ball bid. And nobody over bid me so that was it.

• Options

@SimonW said:

Some color on that one!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin > @Boosibri said:

@SimonW said:

Some color on that one!

That brown / electric blue is usually not a good combination when comes to color. Especially the blue on the devices and bust. Often points to accelerated toning. Were this one straight graded, i'd be concerned about it.

I like that die clash. Assuming this one has coin die rotation? The clash under PUB in REPUBLICA seems to align to LIB in LIBERTAD assuming it's upside-down,

• Options
    edited December 24, 2022 1:09AM

Yeah, judging by the images I'd agree with you. PCGS seemed to think it was off, but not artificial toning, they said cleaned. It surprised me to be honest. The photographers really goosed the images of all the coins I sent in with this batch. It does have a little color, but not even close to this!

It actually has lots of luster and, no hairlines that I could find. An abrasion across Bolivar's face is all.

Here's a pic of the coin before sending it in. I think it's a very interesting coin, as you pointed out TK there's some doubling/clashing. Also a nice strong strike.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW that is a nice group!

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    @SimonW that is a nice group!

Thank you! They’re tough to find!

• Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Euclid, one of the most beautiful types of American coins in my opinion. And you have the first year of strike, very good. I have the same 1826, condition is some worse. It seems that coins of Central and South America are growing in price.

Peace.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sergey74 said:
    It seems that coins of Central and South America are growing in price.

You think? :o

• Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@Sergey74 said:
    It seems that coins of Central and South America are growing in price.

You think? :o

Maybe i'm wrong, i don't collect it deep, only big silver coins, but I'm looking for prices for the coins which are interested for me. I mean coins of independent states, rare types in xf+ condition like early Colombia, Peru, Argentina... And if you look at catalog World's coin and look at auction's price you can see big difference. In my country Russia (peace for everyone, i don't support crazy) we have few this coins, it's rare and now difficult bring it in, prices are growing in $.

Peace.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Log! Welcome to the forum and those are definitely not meager!

• Options
    BSmithBSmith Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2023 9:19PM

@log87186 said:
    First time posting on here but thought I'd share my meager additions. Also hello to all the familiar faces!

That's a very well struck 8 Reales from Mexico I thought it was uncirculated.

• Options

@BSmith said:

@log87186 said:
    First time posting on here but thought I'd share my meager additions. Also hello to all the familiar faces!

That's a very well struck 8 Reales from Mexico I thought it was uncirculated.

Thank you very much, it was @Senator32 who put me onto the coin and encouraged me to chase it.