Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone want to share their new purchases?

Comments

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2022 4:49PM

@coinsarefun said:
    Yes, super cool @johnny010 there’s a conder token place on Facebook run by Gary Groll. Maybe post it there and ask.
    I would love to find out. Restrike san be rarer than the original. Would be awesome if pcgs recognizes it.
    If you can find the NGC number assigned to it then Pcgs would do it.

Appreciate the advice, for real. I do not have any social media unfortunately. I’ll look around on NGC.

Here was the listing description
    “ (1870's) THOMAS PAIN RESTRIKE HANGING SCENE SATIRICAL POLITICAL TOKEN. UNC. Plain Edge, 19mm, Copper.”

• Options
    edited December 13, 2022 4:55PM

I like the “tears” running down her face if you will

@hummingbird_coins said:
    As promised, here are better photos (courtesy of seller) and 2 new coins.

• Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Au-58+

A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:

@johnny010 said:

@coinsarefun said:

That is FANTASTIC! Score. Is it graded? If not will you go though pcgs and get trueviews ?

Thanks! It’s raw. Was not sure how it would grade with that spot on the obverse bottom left. Open to grading for sure.

I went ahead and looked it up. It says Restrike. I’ve not seen a Restrike of this one. But, then again I’ve never seen a Pain
    token with a bird/devil on the giblet before. It looks brass to me too…….is it?
    Also, if it’s a Restrike I’m not sure pcgs would grade it but NGC will.
    Also as far as the s-or goes, can you take an up close image? I can’t tell what kind of spot it is.

I’m not sure that restrike is the best term for this. I would say modern copy may be more accurate.

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:

@coinsarefun said:

@johnny010 said:

@coinsarefun said:

That is FANTASTIC! Score. Is it graded? If not will you go though pcgs and get trueviews ?

Thanks! It’s raw. Was not sure how it would grade with that spot on the obverse bottom left. Open to grading for sure.

I went ahead and looked it up. It says Restrike. I’ve not seen a Restrike of this one. But, then again I’ve never seen a Pain
    token with a bird/devil on the giblet before. It looks brass to me too…….is it?
    Also, if it’s a Restrike I’m not sure pcgs would grade it but NGC will.
    Also as far as the s-or goes, can you take an up close image? I can’t tell what kind of spot it is.

I’m not sure that restrike is the best term for this. I would say modern copy may be more accurate.

First, I did some research and found that the coin in purchased was likely a copy of a copy. I presented my research to the seller and he refunded my money. I do think the real version is a modern copy based on the fact that a coin dealer reproduced the coin in 1830s-1840s

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    2 items from a Pawn Shop.

1. 1955 " Bugs Bunny"

$20

Holy smokes!!!

• Options
    kirkminkkirkmink Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

@hummingbird_coins said:

@kirkmink said:

I'd say that looks AU!

I thought so as well. Thanks!

"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"- Calvin and Hobbes

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mrweaseluv said:
    $20 LC set scores a nice piece for 23.66 :smiley:

Woah! That would have been a decent price at twice that! Nice steal :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file