Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    Coinstar was built with the coin collector in mind :D
    I found these today after dumping 14 boxes in. Yes it was empty when I arrived.

now i'm curious. if someone got out the roosevelt, washington, lincoln etc from 64 forward, just how long it would take to fill up the albums from coinstar alone. perhaps even a type album. really only for those that regularly find coins in coinstar.

my skill set, good fortune etc resides in just buying type/collector coins outright. i have virtually no abilities to get stuff from banks, coinstars etc so i cannot participate. i'm honestly trying to think of a single time i found anything in a coin reject slot. bank, pop machine, vending machine, bank, coinstar, telephone or whatever. i honestly think i'd do better just looking for street/parking lot coins ironically.

there is a coin/currency exchange at an airport well over an hour away i think i could do something with but that is too far for my desire to try. if i lived with 10 min or so, i for sure would be meeting with them weekly.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

This with a bunch of commonwealth coins:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz... That quarter spent a lot of time in the ground... Likely a metal detector find. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 1, 2022 11:03AM

@ricko — I like to imagine that it toured the world in the bilge of a guano barge since it was in such cosmopolitan company. A good match for the sewer set.

• Options

@CoinHoarder ... Nice pile of coins.... 1959 was a good year, I joined the Navy then. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1.74 in change including 3 pre-1982 copper cents and this.....

My first ever COINSTAR find of a elongated cent (or "squished penny" as my daughter calls them).

This one from a pennycollector.com machine at Madame Tussauds San Francisco depicting Coit Tower.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@EagleScout2017 said:
    Found this in the return slot of the coin machine at my credit union today.

considering the "haphazard" way you imaged that coin, gotta say, NICE JOB!

looks like a great camera phone.

gratz

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@EagleScout2017 said:
    Found this in the return slot of the coin machine at my credit union today.

considering the "haphazard" way you imaged that coin, gotta say, NICE JOB!

looks like a great camera phone.

gratz

Yeah much better than my last camera phone. The camera on my last one was nothing more than hot garbage.

delenda est WitterU

• Options

Constar's have been devoid of reject coins for a while now.... :'( About due for a big find... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 10, 2022 2:18PM

@ricko said:
    Constar's have been devoid of reject coins for a while now.... :'( About due for a big find... Cheers, RickO

have u asked the establishment IF they accumulate rejects or the like.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today was the first good day at the Coinstar machine in a long time.

I found around $3.00 in modern US coins and six modern foreign coins.

The foreign coins were:
    Canada 25 Cents 2013 Arctic Exploration Centennial (An unusual coin)
    Croatia 50 Lipa 2006
    Czech Republic 5 Korun 1993
    Czech Republic 10 Korun 2010
    Morocco 2 Dirhams 2002
    Morocco 5 Dirhams 2002

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Today was the first good day at the Coinstar machine in a long time.

I found around $3.00 in modern US coins and six modern foreign coins.

The foreign coins were:
    Canada 25 Cents 2013 Arctic Exploration Centennial (An unusual coin)
    Croatia 50 Lipa 2006
    Czech Republic 5 Korun 1993
    Czech Republic 10 Korun 2010
    Morocco 2 Dirhams 2002
    Morocco 5 Dirhams 2002

we'll probably never know why but there is no way having 2 sequential denominations for 2 different countries like that as a coincidence!

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in a drouth, no finds since October. still have some time in December...

• Options

@Joe_360.... Silver is always welcome.... and in the Coinstar reject slot, it is almost always dimes... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 17, 2022 3:01PM

Today was the second good day at the Coinstar machine recently.

I found around $2.00 in modern US coins and four modern foreign coins.

The foreign coins were:
    Britain 20 Pence 2011 (Royal shield)
    Canada 10 cents 2018, 1987, and 1960 (silver!)

The find included two United States 2019-S American Memorial Park Quarters clad

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

Nice finds... My market machines have been totally empty lately.... Longer than usual drought. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Nice finds... My market machines have been totally empty lately.... Longer than usual drought. Cheers, RickO

Perhaps the jackpot is right around the corner. Patience and persistence always seem to pay off. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

2nd 64D dime find this month! Acetone bath forthcoming. Only shut-out two months (Mar/Nov) this year, good 2022!!

• Options

Silver from the Coinstar reject slot is always welcome... and usually a Rosie dime..... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I found a clad dime glued to a zinc cent. Pic in “don’t mix” thread. Don’t miss it!

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of zincolns and an Australian cent from 1966.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

When I check the Coin Star, I look all over as you never know where you may find the coins. I once kicked a "Tide" bottle sitting next to the machine and it was still full of coins!
    Here a tip:
    Many times, I will find coins still logged in the entryway where the coins slide into the machine (See photo)

Using a standard business card fold in half (see photo) and use it like twisters. With the card folded in half, slide it so that one side of the card is under the coin, and one side is over, clamp down and remove the coin easily - They might be silver?!?

Photo coin star entryway:

Photo of folded card:

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

Well, any silver in that Tide bottle? What was the total in the bottle?
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

Sweet. Nice little find there.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

Well... yesterday... two dimes and one nickel.... no silver.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    Using a standard business card fold in half (see photo) and use it like twisters. With the card folded in half, slide it so that one side of the card is under the coin, and one side is over, clamp down and remove the coin easily - They might be silver?!?

twisters = tweezers?

i'm not picking, just trying to visualize in case i run into a situation like you mention, which seems feasible.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC
    No worries, you are correct Sir. I've done it 2 or 3 times since this post. Thanks

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    Nice 2009 Lincoln Presidency Coin Star find. And Philly to boot!!

In this case the D is actually the more valuable one. But I think either of the Presidents P or D are tough to find in 67.

• Options

I went to the supermarket today and walked by the Coinstar machine.
    There was a gray dime in the reject bin and I picked it up.
    It was a 1944 Mercury in pretty good shape.
    Where has it been for the past 78 years?

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

Two cents and a nickel.... Nothing special yesterday. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Two cents and a nickel.... Nothing special yesterday. Cheers, RickO

Lucky 7s

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@Joe_360 said:
    Nice 2009 Lincoln Presidency Coin Star find. And Philly to boot!!

In this case the D is actually the more valuable one. But I think either of the Presidents P or D are tough to find in 67.

True, but I live in CA so I mostly get D coins. Thanks

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing in the Walmart Coinstar today, but 26 cents in the parking lot.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Joe_360 said:

twisters = tweezers?
    i'm not picking, just trying to visualize in case i run into a situation like you mention, which seems feasible.

I actually used this Tweezer technic today for my 1st 2023 silver find! A 1963D Dime. Nothing in the return, 3 coins in the tray-slot. One Canadian cent.

• Options

@Spawnfreek.... Yep... feast or famine mostly.... Once in a while, a huge pile is found... usually only a few... or none - as the last week or two has been for me. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file