Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol! Thanks Ricko, to be clear, that was not a single find.. Hope the trend continues!!

• Options
    edited June 12, 2022 12:12PM

Another dime for the month (4th) very worn but I'll keep it! Looks to be a 1950, 59?

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess that someone cut the loop off and tried to fool mother coinstar

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 ... Well, at least you found silver.... and it looks like 1950 to me.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Two Jefferson nickels stuck together in the Coinstar reject bin today. New ones... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@theseos
    Nice!!! Great find!!

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 4:43PM

This coin is my first Coinstar foreign coin find in some time.

Jamaica One Dollar 1996
    Nickel-steel, 18.0 mm, 2.90 gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@WillieBoyd2... That is a really nice Coinstar find. I have been to Jamaica a few times.... Nice country, good people. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

On 6-9-2022 at the grocery store I snagged $1.80 from the CoinStar machine reject bin.

Included in the coins was a VG 1940S nickel, an AU toned 1974D nickel and an AU 1984P dime.

Not a biggie, but heck it is $1.80 in free money.

My first Coin Star reject bin find in many years (I look, but rarely find anything).

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2022 5:35AM

First find in a long time at my local TOPS supermarket. A couple Canadian cents and a bunch of crappy pennies, but there were two wheat cents in there, 1939 and 1941

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went to the store to return some of my coin roll searches on Friday.
    Found a Roosevelt dime but not silver.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never find anything at our local Coinstar ….. NADA 😟

@JBK said:
    Happy July 4th to me!

Stopped by the supermarket to get some 2-for-1 hotdogs (sold out) and on the way in I checked the Coinstar machine.

Just last night I was telling the story of my $14 face value silver find a few years ago. Today was a smaller haul but I'll take it.

1964 dime, 1963 dime, and a self-destructing zinc cent. And in the parking lot on the way out I found a bonus rare error cent. :D

• Options

The Coinstar machine reject slot at my local supermarket has been empty for quite a while now. The checkout people do keep a sharp eye on it. I even saw the manager grab some coins out of it once... I told him he should leave them for me.... he laughed. Cheers, RickO

• Options

3 for the month, for those of you keeping score at home... Nice to get a date (63D) other then 64, but I'll take them all!!

• Options

It's not Silver but a Lincoln Wheat S is always a nice find!!

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a dime in the Smoky Mountains National Park this am. No luck lately in the Coinstars in my area.

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2022 1:25AM

....ever since COVID hit my area in March 2020 CoinStar finds are a BUST in my area, before that found something almost EVERY week......people got a stranglehold on their money.....

• Options

Yep... I have not found anything in the Coinstar for about two weeks... Have not even seen anyone using them. Only street finds recently (dime and quarter). Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Yep... I have not found anything in the Coinstar for about two weeks... Have not even seen anyone using them. Only street finds recently (dime and quarter). Cheers, RickO

@Ricko,
    I am lucky, there are 3 Coin stars located about ~1 1/2 blocks from each other (Safeway / Nobhill / Mexican store), close to me that I shop at, so I can hit all 3 relatively easily.. All 3 are used quite frequently especially on Monday's and Friday's...

Keep fishing... B)

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 7:56PM

The local Coinstar finally paid off with some corroded cents, 70 cents in quarters and dimes,
    a Mexican 10 cent coin and a Portugal Euro 2 cent 2012 coin.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

The coinstar reject bin has been barren for several weeks now in my area. :'( I did find a quarter in a parking lot, and a cent in the supermarket aisle. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm rich! Not.... :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:

I havent found ANYTHING in CoinStar since COVID hit, before that I found something in the return trayh almost every week......

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭

CoinHoarder: I would have loved to have gone thru your findings from a few days ago........... there looks to be a lot of shiny, recent Canadians in there! Do you live close to the border?

I've always been curious...... what does each poster on this thread do with Darkside coins they find? Is there a lot of dual-collecting (Light- & Dark-side) going on, or do most treat modern Darkside as "junk"?

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:
    CoinHoarder: I would have loved to have gone thru your findings from a few days ago........... there looks to be a lot of shiny, recent Canadians in there! Do you live close to the border?

I've always been curious...... what does each poster on this thread do with Darkside coins they find? Is there a lot of dual-collecting (Light- & Dark-side) going on, or do most treat modern Darkside as "junk"?

Yes, I do live close to the border. I have a large jar that I put my Canadian coin star finds in. And, another jar that I put all my other foreign finds in.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

My neighborhood Walmart has removed the Coinstar machine that has been there for years. No more free coins.

Has anyone else noticed machines MIA at their Walmart?

Vplite99
  • Options

CoinHoarder: Once they go into the jars, THEN what? Saved for eternity? Put in folders/albums? Sold/swapped individually or in bulk? Other?

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:
    CoinHoarder: Once they go into the jars, THEN what? Saved for eternity? Put in folders/albums? Sold/swapped individually or in bulk? Other?

If I ever take a trip to Canada, which I haven't done in years, I will probably dump them in the coin star over there. Then I would exchange the Canadian for US currency at the going exchange rate before returning to the US.

I have much less foreign finds. Most probably have little or no value.

Of course, all the silver has been removed from these accumulations.

I have accumulated these over many years. Almost all coin star finds.

Canadian:

Other foreign coins:

• Options

I put all the foreign coins I find into a separate jar. Not sure what I will do with them, just cannot throw coins away. :# Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of foreign coin. I'm finding more and more foreign coins in rolls these days!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Anyone finding any Canadian halves in their change? I know their new issues haven't been circulating for a while, but do they make it at all into your local Coinstar reject bins?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:

@DBSTrader2 said:
    Anyone finding any Canadian halves in their change? I know their new issues haven't been circulating for a while, but do they make it at all into your local Coinstar reject bins?

nice handful, especially with the half. i've only ever purchased the much older silver halves. disappointing i've never found a modern one in-person in buckets, trays or whatever!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Safeway Coin Star this AM. I almost felt like I was stealing! Someone doesn't like nickels... No silver (1946) 74 nickels and 8 dimes and 1 dirty cent

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

CoinStar didn't even want this dreck. It's all in acetone trying to kill the bio-hazards and strip off the DNA.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Speaking of foreign coin. I'm finding more and more foreign coins in rolls these days!

you weren't kiddin'!

thanks for the transaction. kinda fun receiving even a partial usa roll of 25c full of foreign coins!

good conversation as well. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

A senior citizen had finished using the Coinstar and went to the customer service counter to turn her receipt in for cash.
    I notice that there was change in the reject slot. I found a new dime and two Zincolns.
    I took them out and went over to where she was and gave them to her and explained about checking the slot the next time, she uses it.
    She looked like she could use the money.
    Sad part, she didn't even say thanks.
    Oh well.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Next day, about same time, same location, lots of nickels, probably the same person (granny's stash) this time a presidential dollar and a 1960-D dime...

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Local grocery store, a clad dime and nickel. Pretty slim pickings,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file