Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2022 11:21AM in U.S. Coin Forum

From Coin World:

Pricing for the Uncirculated and Proof 2023 Morgan and Peace dollars is established by the United States Mint.

The pricing was posted June 29 online through the Federal Register.

Uncirculated 2023 Morgan and Peace dollars will be priced at $67 per coin. Proof versions will be priced at $73 per coin.

The U.S. Mint also plans to execute a two-coin Reverse Proof set containing 2023 Morgan and Peace dollars. That set will be offered at $175.

U.S. Mint officials have not yet disclosed what the maximum mintages will be for the 2023 coins and whether the silver dollars will be produced at more than one production facility.

Cancellation of 2022 plans
Planned 2022 Morgan and Peace dollars were canceled and production was suspended until 2023 because of supply chain problems securing adequate .999 fine silver blanks to meet anticipated demand.

In announcing the cancellation, the Mint on March 14 stated, “This calculated pause is directly related to the global pandemic’s impact upon the availability of silver blanks from the Mint’s suppliers. The suspension will give the Mint time to evaluate the best way to allocate our limited supply of silver to ensure the best customer experience we can.”

Then Mint Deputy Director Ventris C. Gibson, who is now director, on March 14 said, “We’ll be required to make business decisions like this until the supply chain for silver blanks recovers from the disruptions caused by COVID-19.”

2021 Morgan dollar production was conducted at the Philadelphia, San Francisco and Denver Mints. The sole 2021 Peace dollar was produced at the Philadelphia Mint.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

Comments

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

Yes. Proof, please. ... and Rev Proof, OK OK Unc as well - might as well get 'em all.
    Here comes the angina.
    My wallet / bank hopes they dont do every mint tho - too many variations to chase. At the very least keep the privys to the 1st year.

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in for a proof version of the Peace dollar. Currently the only “Silver dollar” that I own is a 2021 Peace in MS 70. For some reason cartwheels don’t interest me.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hope that the mint doesn't screw this up like the quarters.
    They better limit the basket on these to 3 pieces and kill the bots, otherwise I'm out

• Options
    edited June 30, 2022 2:02PM

@TheRaven said:
    Would have been better off making these in 2021 and that was it.

While I'll bite and probably order these in 2023, I can get behind your statement.
    (Mmmmm, maybe do 1 round of proof and reverse proofs like they are ... these are nice designs. See, they got me! ;) )

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are they making these again? I thought the idea was to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the original 1921s. This just seems odd. I will definitely be passing.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2022 2:48PM

While my initial reaction is to pass as I see no reason that they should continue after 2021, but when 2023 rolls around, I'm afraid that I will get weak, breakdown and purchase.. But truthfully, I see no reason to own these...

It will be interesting to see what the limits will be set at for flip potential

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they want to get creative, get the suppliers to make and sell them some limited number of 90% blanks, the same size and weight as the originals, and see what demand really can be.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    I just hope that the mint doesn't screw this up like the quarters.
    They better limit the basket on these to 3 pieces and kill the bots, otherwise I'm out

Do not know if it is still the plan, but there was talk of offering Morgan & Peace dollars via enrollments.

Link

If this happens, I am sure that someone will post about it here. :)

• Options
    silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

I'l wait for the daniel carr version.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soft pass.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

Shades of P.T. Barnum.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds exciting and I'll be ordering these next year...

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2022 11:17PM

I’m such a putz. Although I’ll buy 1 of each I hope to change my mind and pass.
    It’s really just flogging a dead mule and taking joy in pretending like their going to do a series. Without the 2022 Morgan’s and Peace it’s just commemorative junk

Hopefully I will see the light. Been doing good with slowly stopping ase’s.

Collect what you like and at least you should be happy enough. 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    I’m such a putz. Although I’ll buy 1 of each I hope to change my mind and pass.
    It’s really just flogging a dead mule and taking joy in pretending like their going to do a series. Without the 2022 Morgan’s and Peace it’s just commemorative junk

Hopefully I will see the light. Been doing good with slowly stopping ase’s.

Collect what you like and at least you should be happy enough. 😉🙀🦫

I think we have to just go cold turkey Slowly stopping is too tough. Will the mint keep running a variety of finishes now on future Morgan's? I see an enhanced version in our future....

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now, it is a pass for me.... Might regret that, but I did get the 2021 Morgan and Peace. I also purchased a 2022 ASE for my nephew as part of his congratulatory gift for achieving Eagle Scout. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I got my set of 2021s, which marked the100th anniversary, so I am happy with that. There is not any significance to 2023 Morgans and Peace Dollars, so the only appeal is the proof version. Not sure that I would ever want a reverse proof. Too gimmicky. I might go for a proof of each, but I may skip these.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2022 9:21AM

I purchased the 2021 coins to flip for money to buy all the new Type 2 silver coins and my first 1oz gold eagle. Type 2 of course. I will not be interested in the uncirculated but will buy the proofs and reverse proofs as I love shiny silver proofs.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@Onastone said:

That was the original plan, now it is going to continue until the well is dry. Just wait till 2048 when we celebrate the 100'th anniversary of the Franklin Half! Anybody else in for one of those??

If you can order coins in the afterlife I am in. o:)

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Why are they making these again? I thought the idea was to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the original 1921s. This just seems odd. I will definitely be passing.

I passed on the 2021 versions and will pass on future versions. Why are they making these again you ask? Because they are selling for $67 what should be $35 or $40. All about the money.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

I wish they would not issue these from all mints, plus the privies. Set it at one or two mints and be done with it. What's next, issuing them with mint marks from mints around the world?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:

@Onastone said:

That was the original plan, now it is going to continue until the well is dry. Just wait till 2048 when we celebrate the 100'th anniversary of the Franklin Half! Anybody else in for one of those??

If you can order coins in the afterlife I am in. o:)

LOL I'm glad you caught that, I wasn't sure if anyone was paying attention!!! :D:D

• Options

Got my enrollments entered. Will these be sold out thru enrollments like this years AGEs ? :o

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    Got my enrollments entered. Will these be sold out thru enrollments like this years AGEs ? :o

@HATTRICK said:

Not sure, but I'm with you.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mintages are high on these.

Morgan and Peace Unc. 275,000
    Morgan and Peace Proof 400,000
    2-PC Reverse Proof Set 250,000

• Options

I signed up for all of these, though I don't think there will be the same buying frenzy like there was for the 2021. The dealers will buy their usual hoards. I did not want to take the chance that I'd have to buy these from a dealer again.

• Options

I do like the advance enrollments. Although your quantities may get reduced, it provides some sense of security that you will get the coin. Much better than fighting with the multitudes on release date. I think the Mint is doing a great thing with these to fight those who like to game the system.

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

I enrolled for one of each. I can always change my mind later. Such a pleasure compared to the frenzied attempts for the 2021 issues.

• Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@rip_f said:

Enrollments for these are available:

Thanks for posting rip. Got my enrollments in and hopefully it will make for a less stressful buying experience than 2021.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up on these being available... just maxed out on all the options...for now at least.

• Options
    edited July 8, 2022 7:44AM

@Bullsitter said:
    Mintages are high on these.

Morgan and Peace Unc. 275,000
    Morgan and Peace Proof 400,000
    2-PC Reverse Proof Set 250,000

we can only imagine how many 40 coin trays may be offered to the big boys. 10,000 or 50,000 ??? :o:#

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, us Mint slaves enrolled on them. Good idea? Nope, probably not as those are atrocious mintages....Even the '21s really were bad investments. Fortunately, we like the coins for their own sake & especially the Peace dollars. The reverse proofs could be the "cat's meow".

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Buy what you like for yourself. The market will surely be saturated with these.

• Options

Wow! That surprised me. I was thrown off a bit by the Unc "P" enrollments, thought that was 2021 only? But signed up for them all. B)

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

I think a new permanent series of Morgan and Peace Dollars is a good idea. Coin collectors tend to love classic designs and its a way of affordably obtaining examples of high grade and or proof Morgan and Peace Dollars one would never be able to obtain in the original series. I think this should be expanded as well in 2029 to have Indian Head $2.50 and $5 coins to commemorate the end of the 100th anniversary of the Pratt Indian Head gold coins as well as a 2033 Indian Head $10 and Saint Gaudens $20 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of circulating gold coinage and the 1933 rare coins of both series.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I truly love the new Morgan and Peace dollars that came out in 2021. However, my pocketbook isn't quite feeling the same. I've never been the smartest or sharpest tool in the shed, so therefore I will probably get in line and have a long conversation with the Bots that day and every other day they decide to hold their Lottery. I'm already getting anxious knowing that I won't be able to get even a little bite of the Apple.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@stawick said:
    Wow! That surprised me. I was thrown off a bit by the Unc "P" enrollments, thought that was 2021 only? But signed up for them all. B)

I'm not as thrown off by the Unc "P" enrollments as I am at the melange of mint marks and finishes the mint is throwing at us. First it was 5 Unc Morgans (two with a privy mark) and an Unc Peace. Now we skip a year and in 2023 have one Unc "P" in both Morgan and Peace, a proof S Morgan and Peace and S Morgan and Peace Rev Proof. Nothing in D or the privy marks.

Don't get me wrong, I like variety but if the mint is looking to develop these as an annual series I think it would make more sense to have some consistency around the base of what was released in 2021 and do maybe one specialty coin like a proof for each mint (or privy) annually.

That said, yeah, I signed up for all of them and wouldn't be surprised if they all sell out in enrollment.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2022 10:39AM

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

You've logically & reasonably assumed that a 100th anniversary commemorative coin would be produced for one-year-only.

But I see no such limitation in the 1921 Silver Dollar Coin Anniversary Act.

That is, I think the Act gives broad authority to the Mint to "recognize" this 100th anniversary in any future year.

Maybe there's a plan to replace the aging American Silver Eagle?

All that said, I signed up for the 2023 Peace versions.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I signed up for the enrollments on the Silver dollars. I’ve never owned a proof silver dollar before. The reverse proof sounds particularly interesting!

• Options
    mpbuck82mpbuck82 Posts: 40 ✭✭

Hopefully this enrollment option will make ordering much less of a zoo for these dollars than last summer.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my enrollments in for the BU Morgan and Peace, 3 each. Guess the others will follow. Had not done enrollments before. Avoided the Mint for years as I dealt only with REAL coins. LOL.

What I am certain would be popular would be if they did them in 90% silver. (Clad ones would be interesting too, but probably not popular except with speculators.)

• Options

90% silver is done! The industry standard is .999 or finer, and the Mint had to stop using 90% silver because the companies that make planchets charge extra to make them in .900 fine. Sticking to .999 saves money on refining and other costs. There just won't be any more coins in 90% silver from the U.S. Mint.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am all about the maximum on the Peace dollars!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomthemailcarrier said:
    I signed up for the enrollments on the Silver dollars. I’ve never owned a proof silver dollar before. The reverse proof sounds particularly interesting!

Anyone have a link for the enrollments?

I can't find one.

GrandAm :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file