Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    For what some see as "losers", they seem to be flying out the door like hotcakes...

But what do I know?

"Losers" because people won't be able to easily triple or quadruple their money with little effort. The Mint probably came close to a price and quantity that satisfies organic demand.

"Winners" for people who would rather pay $80 each than $250+, since they have been readily available for months at the lower price. "Losers" for folks who would rather see mintages artificially restricted so they could buy at the lower price and flip at the higher price.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2023 3:33PM

Remember that subscriptions are not sales. Subscribers may down-adjust their subscription numbers until not long before the release date. IOW, even though the Morgan unc subscriptions available will likely go to zero not later than next week, it may very well be that there are more than 27,500 (10% of the mintage/product limit promised to be withheld for day of release sales) of the Morgan uncs available on release day.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2 cents for whatever it's worth...but if anywhere near the First Day sales number (is it 10% of the mintage) is the only real quantity available when these actually go on sale...then these will be a sell out on Day 1.

Say what you will...but these are simply well-liked classic designs.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm, think about your 2021 dollars. Do you really care about them or are they laying around in boxes in your closet? I have one of the Peace Dollars out that I look at on occasion, but no matter how much I like the CC original dollars, these seem almost like fakes or wannabes (and let's not go there with the New Orleans privy coins). I have "fear of being an idiot (again)". So what did I do if anyone cares? Well, instead of three each got one each as I am a collector and most assuredly NOT a flipper.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

[Do you really care about them or are they laying around in boxes in your closet?]

Truth be told...all my GSA Morgans (and the rest of my collection for that matter) are neatly locked away too...I'd love to have them spread all over the house in glass cases on display, but my wife...and my insurance company...would shoot me!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not here to speak for others, and you will not that at least in my case I don't have a problem with the coins themselves. I rather like the Peace dollar and maybe not the Morgan quite as much. What some appear to be saying is that the mintage is out of line and the coin as a scarcity? Well, probably not. Overminted? Probably so.
    And each is obviously free to do what they will but for me, they are a bit redundant (which has also been said) and look forward to just a bit more innovation on the mint's part.
    But breathless countdowns of the mint's stock? PLEASE! Now that is a bit much. So hopefully that answered your question about why some are not crazy about the issue (and NOT the coins).

On a more personal level, you will also notice that I did get a single example of each of the coins. Also, if a forlorn coin sits in the bottom of the ignominious closet, then that is a bit sad IMHO and do try to take a peak or so at coins even in the SDB every now and then.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like in 2021, I'll be ordering 2 of each example of these coins and RP set. My subscription has been in place since it was first offered. Whatever the mint decides is the HHL is their business. I'm not out to flip these. I just like pristine examples of the two series of coins I'm most interested in. I might even acquire the 2022 Fiji examples of the Morgan and Peace just to have a complete date run of the new coins.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

@anablep said:
    I might even acquire the 2022 Fiji examples of the Morgan and Peace just to have a complete date run of the new coins.

Then you might also be interested in the 2022 date offerings from Moonlight Mint / Dan Carr: https://www.dc-coin.com/

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't seem to get the Data-available for any coins on the Mint sight to work. Is it me doing something wrong, or is in not working, or removed by the mint ?

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@HATTRICK said:
    I can't seem to get the Data-available for any coins on the Mint sight to work. Is it me doing something wrong, or is in not working, or removed by the mint ?

I am using stocklevel. View page source -> Ctrl F -> stocklevel. I have not used it on anything other than these Morgan and Peace subscriptions. It is my understanding that the mint does not update this in real-time on a product release date.
    Latest numbers - a relatively slow weekend:

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2023 2:32PM

Thanks. That works. GOING DOWN !!!

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:

Same here.

Best guess - the Mint changed their code.

• Options

see SPALLIDINO's reply above. Use STOCKLEVEL it works

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2023 6:19PM

Do not underestimate those pesky Morgan Dollar collectors.

Unfortunately I am one of them.

• Options

April 4 at 3:00 PM available for subscription levels for the three lowest are;
    Morgan Uncirc 4,300
    Peace Uncirc 10,564
    Two coin RP set 11,174

Slow and steady " Going Down ? "

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2023 1:32PM

Perhaps these will provide a little excitement. So far this year the mint offerings are not raising anyones interest. Atleast not to the point of needing a “waiting room “. I guess this is great news to some folks who really wanted to be able to get an example and not so much for those who like a little chance in their lives. I am somewhere in between in my feelings.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

'availablecount' still works for checking inventory levels.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

April tax time. Slow as she goes until probably June.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I've made my decision. I pulled the plug are all of them!
    Numbers should go up now. I just don't believe these will be a block buster coin.
    If I want one I will wait to buy a certified coin down the road, I think they will be available at decent prices. I'd rather concentrate on my other registry sets.
    The other reasons being dealing with the mint. They have no concerns on the quality of there products. They just mass produce them, and ship, and what you get is what you get.
    Count me out!

• Options

the number of subscriptions available for the Morgan uncirculated has dropped to 2,999

• Options
    edited April 13, 2023 12:13PM

The subscriptions have plateaued at about 150-200 new subs per day for the products with HHL of 25, and about 50-75 new subs for the RP set.
    Depending on exact date of release, it is clear that the proof products will not reach full subscription capacity before release date. Further, I would expect the proofs not to sell out on release day - there will be too much inventory for that to happen.
    The uncs and RP set may reach full subscription before the release date, depending on exact date.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I've just got to wonder if there is going to be a flood of these on eBay with people who increased their subscriptions to the revised HHL and are trying to hit the flush button after getting them in hand.

• Options

I suspect that these will still be a popular issue after the smoke clears...call me naive.

• Options

I think it'll be popular as well in that there is a large audience of people who want these but still at the end of the day my guess is that there will be excess supply after the initial release. Maybe very little of the recent increased subscription numbers since they've raised the HHL are from people who have any desire to sit on them and if so they'll be looking for another home for them somehow.

• Options

@jeffas1974 said:
    I've just got to wonder if there is going to be a flood of these on eBay with people who increased their subscriptions to the revised HHL and are trying to hit the flush button after getting them in hand.

...and similarly, how many that currently hold subscription numbers that will downward revise them not long before the release date..

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    The subscriptions have plateaued at about 150-200 new subs per day for the products with HHL of 25, and about 50-75 new subs for the RP set.
    Depending on exact date of release, it is clear that the proof products will not reach full subscription capacity before release date. Further, I would expect the proofs not to sell out on release day - there will be too much inventory for that to happen.
    The uncs and RP set may reach full subscription before the release date, depending on exact date.

FWIW, your personal enrollment page shows some tentative release dates.

For example, consider the two-coin RP set (23XS).

The "Product Schedule" currently shows "Fall":

However, "My Product Subscriptions" shows a "Next Shipment Date" of NOV-14:

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

by the time these coins will be released, will be in a full blown recession with a realistic chance of a depression, the dump will be huge

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭✭

I continue to be curious about the negativity surrounding these products on this group.

It's not the Mint's job to create product on which flippers will make a profit.

The 2021 offerings were an example of a huge Mint mistake, IMO, since they left a lot of money on the table (either by not charging more for them, or by not making more of them). By the look of things, they've adjusted about perfectly this time; there likely won't be the clusterf#$k there was two years ago on release date; everyone who wants to buy one from the Mint will be able to do so, and the Mint probably will sell out in due course.

This is good business, and should be applauded IMO.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2023 3:56PM

@MetroD said:
    FWIW, your personal enrollment page shows some tentative release dates.

Thank you.
    Based on the dates listed, it is quite possible that:

• the unc subs will fill up prior to the July release date.
    • the proof subs will not fill up prior to the September release date.
    • the RP set subs will fill up prior to the November release date.
    Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@124Spider said:
    I continue to be curious about the negativity surrounding these products on this group.

The 2021 offerings were an example of a huge Mint mistake, IMO, since they left a lot of money on the table (either by not charging more for them, or by not making more of them). By the look of things, they've adjusted about perfectly this time; there likely won't be the clusterf#$k there was two years ago on release date; everyone who wants to buy one from the Mint will be able to do so, and the Mint probably will sell out in due course.

I agree with most of what you’re saying but I don’t think that people are being negative about the coins but more debating on where prices will trend post release from the mint. I’m still planning on getting one of each product for myself but I’m not maxing out like I did for the 2021’s.

• Options

@124Spider said:

Just like the 2023 W ase’s and the congratulations set. Available now and probably forever until they are replaced by next year “ success “. I’m not quite understanding how this is good business but ok. I’m glad you are happy and I also agree with @jeffas1974 that we are having a discussion. Thanks 🙏

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@124Spider said:

Just like the 2023 W ase’s and the congratulations set. Available now and probably forever until they are replaced by next year “ success “. I’m not quite understanding how this is good business but ok. I’m glad you are happy and I also agree with @jeffas1974 that we are having a discussion. Thanks 🙏

I would be very surprised if a significant number of these don't sell in the reasonably near future. And any that don't sell don't get tossed in the dumpster.

Yes, excellent business--Find the right balance among price, supply and demand, and sell them all. As opposed to the mess of a couple of years ago, when more money was made by flippers than by the Mint!

• Options
    edited April 14, 2023 6:47AM

With more attention being paid to these as we actually near the release dates...I'm not seeing the number of remaining available coins as being extraordinarily large.

And I'm glad that because of the subscription process that we're not all still furiously (and maddingly) refreshing browsers at noon as we all attempt to bum rush the door!

• Options
    edited April 18, 2023 6:16PM

• Options

+1

• Options

Also consider the retail pricing on the '21 Morgan/Peace is strengthening, not falling off.

Do not underestimate demand side.

• Options
    edited April 20, 2023 10:38AM

I would attribute those most recent changes in numbers to either random fluctuations or bookkeeping corrections...they look very static all things considered.

My main point being that there doesn't seem to be much attempt to flee out the door by subscribers.

• Options
    edited April 20, 2023 9:12PM

I’m thinking that the lack of anything resembling a “winner “ this year is adding to the excitement, so to speak, of these being the ones. Too many of everything is leaving an empty feeling with collectors. I’m not saying that we are looking for the big flip but we all like to have a coin that holds it’s value and maybe even is a winner.
    I think of the congratulations set ( still available) as an example. Also the S uncirculated quarters from last year seems to have suffered a similar fate. Too many. I’m may just save my money and not buy any of them. If I find one that seems to fit my plans I’ll buy a certified example. I’m good with my 2021 CC and peace dollar Thanks 🙏

• Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

Weren't the release dates already set for these? I was just looking at the mint schedule and there are no fixed dates.

• Options

@OLC said:
    Weren't the release dates already set for these? I was just looking at the mint schedule and there are no fixed dates.

If you go into the section showing your subscriptions it'll show the release dates.

• Options
    edited April 24, 2023 6:29PM
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2023 6:37PM

only 1,244 left for the Peace Uncirculated subscription. Dropping as I posted

only 1,873 left for the two coin reverse proof set

still plenty of the proofs available for subscription

• Options
    edited April 24, 2023 6:41PM

I believe there’s too many of all these. At this point I’m willing to bet that there will be no problem on release day. Just too many. I’m not buying anything from this years offerings as far as the Morgan’s or peace dollar. I’m really learning to appreciate the stack of hundred dollar bills that not buying these leaves for other items. Just too many. They killed the American womans S uncirculated quarters because too many. I’ll leave my enrollments active until they are close to release and then re-think these and finalize my decision about buying any. Options are good. Thanks 🙏

• Options
    edited April 24, 2023 6:46PM

everything is being overproduced as more collectors overcome their addiction to wanting every coin that comes out.
    If I had the money I would have a pile of coins I rarely take time to look at. :o

That being said I am in for 5 of each of the uncirculated coins and the reverse proof set. :#

• Options
    edited April 25, 2023 9:30AM

Big changes over the last 24 hours in subscriptions available. The Morgan unc no longer has available subscriptions - subscriptions are full, and subscription status has changed to 'remind me'.
    Also a big drop in Peace uncs and the RP set.
    The Peace unc and RP set subscriptions will likely fill before release date, but the proofs will likely not.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

That being said, 9% and 13% being available, respectively, for the Morgan and Peace dollar proofs, are not enormous numbers with months remaining before sales begin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file