Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pinehurst is now buying certain 2021 morgans O privy and S
    Also buying 2021 ASE type 2 proofs and 2022 ASE proofs

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

Morgan & Peace Pinehurst is buying
    21XD, 21XG, 21XF, 21XE, 21XH

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2022 5:21PM

I don't understand the whole shortage issue. If you are a supplier to the gov you have a signed contract and are obligated to supply the planchets.

The silver is out there. There is no shortage of silver. I honestly do not know what gives.

Doesn't pass the smell test.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    I don't understand the whole shortage issue. If you are a supplier to the gov you have a signed contract and are obligated to supply the planchets.

The silver is out there. There is no shortage of silver. I honestly do not know what gives.

The excuse is "supply chain issues". This is the excuse that companies throughout the world are now using to go back on their commitments. I am so sick of it; it's getting old already. As you stated, there is plenty of silver out there - no shortage whatsoever. The shortage is of people and companies who want to do the work.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 11:10AM

The London Bullion Market Association (LBMA) is the world’s largest silver exchange. For the last nine consecutive months, the quantity of silver held in LBMA vaults have declined. The August 2022 report states that the vaults now hold only 916.5 million ounces of silver, the lowest total since July 2016.

In November 2021, the LBMA vaults held 1.170.6 billion ounces of silver. Since then, inventories have fallen 21.7 percent. As dramatic a drop as that is, it becomes even more extreme when you consider only the LBMA inventories not owned by 13 silver exchange traded funds (ETFs) and the private client investors who are customers of Bullion Vault and GoldMoney.

• Options

Received another reminder memo from the mint today saying these are
    Still available for subscription. It appears as only half have been committed??? Subject to cancellation.

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

Enrollments are getting filled at a snail’s pace these days. Only 5k more spoken for with the 2 coin reverse proof set over the past 3 weeks.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2022 2:22PM

The 2021 reverse proof ase type set 1&2 was $175 The Morgan’s and Peace Dollar were $85 ea.
    Why do I feel $90-95 for the 2023 Morgan’s and Peace Dollars and $200 for the 2- coin set 🤨

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

@fathom said:

The excuse is "supply chain issues". This is the excuse that companies throughout the world are now using to go back on their commitments. I am so sick of it; it's getting old already. As you stated, there is plenty of silver out there - no shortage whatsoever. The shortage is of people and companies who want to do the work.

The problem is not supply chain issues (which do in fact exist).The problem is both wholesellers and retailers are selling merchandise they do not have. They are banking on a promise from theirs supplier just as you are banking on a promise from your supplier. With most US inventories of most retail items, globalization brought a quick shipment when ordered by the seller eliminating the need for a full in house warehouse. Retailers got cozy with the global supply chain working at full throttle. The current supply chain issues will hamper globalization and many countries will find it's time to crank up in country production. Retailers will also be unlocking their empty warehouses and stock them when they can. Think toilet paper shortage and you get the picture.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:
    The London Bullion Market Association (LBMA) is the world’s largest silver exchange. For the last nine consecutive months, the quantity of silver held in LBMA vaults have declined.

A result of LBMA and COMEX vastly increasing their list of approved gold and silver bar brands in an effort to stop the bleeding of the vault inventories. Many of these new brands, particularly from new suppliers in China, are not meeting QC requirements.

The August 2022 report states that the vaults now hold only 916.5 million ounces of silver, the lowest total since July 2016.

In November 2021, the LBMA vaults held 1.170.6 billion ounces of silver. Since then, inventories have fallen 21.7 percent. As dramatic a drop as that is, it becomes even more extreme when you consider only the LBMA inventories not owned by 13 silver exchange traded funds (ETFs) and the private client investors who are customers of Bullion Vault and GoldMoney.

Don't bring this up on the PM forum. You will quickly become a russian bot and a conspiracy theorist. I know from experience.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Skipping on the 2023. Just no interest. Bought three of the D and one S in 2021 along with two Peace dollars and that will be it. Wished they just kept it the 1 year and 100th anniversary Morgan but that's just my opinion. I do like seeing others excited about it though and hopefully for those who missed out in 2021 are able to pick up any they might have liked from then. Enjoy!

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options

@Stingray63 said:
    Skipping on the 2023. Just no interest. Bought three of the D and one S in 2021 along with two Peace dollars and that will be it. Wished they just kept it the 1 year and 100th anniversary Morgan but that's just my opinion. I do like seeing others excited about it though and hopefully for those who missed out in 2021 are able to pick up any they might have liked from then. Enjoy!

I’m wondering what a reverse proof morgan and peace dollar are going to look like and can my geriatric brain adjust to the first time offering. Will I be unable to deal with the almost phony appearance?
    Perhaps 😁

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@Stingray63 said:

I’m wondering what a reverse proof morgan and peace dollar are going to look like and can my geriatric brain adjust to the first time offering. Will I be unable to deal with the almost phony appearance?
    Perhaps 😁

Just saw an HSN re-run recently where FIJI produced these coins (2022). Magic Mike had 'em graded by ANACS, they almost wouldnt grade 'em - too close to the originals. But they looked GREAT!! B)
    They were ~$590 for a PF70 pair (FDOI). While they looked REAL nice, I'll pass. Too much dollah!!

• Options
    CXDCXD Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

But wait! Mike on CSN had the Fiji set ANACS 70 for $399 this morning 🙃

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

Large drop in availability of the reverse proof 2 coin set recently. Availability is showing just over 60k and I thought this was north of 100k even as recently as last week. @Jzyskowski1 what are your cats telling you about when these are going to run out?

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BucketHead said:

@HATTRICK said:
    I did not see anything in the weekly Mint sales figures for these enrollments and do not expect to. In the past Coin World
    has received and reported allocations for enrollments on some coins, however I have not seen anything on these coins.
    When I get information on quantities available for enrollments or the quantities of enrollments accepted so far I will post in this thread.

On the mint's website it is stating that the mintage will be:

275K for the unc. Morgan and Peace
    400k for the Proof Morgan and Peace
    250K for the Rev Proof

I'm sure they reserve the right to revise these numbers as they do with the pricing.

But the mintage on them are way lower then the other key Morgan's.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:

@Tomthemailcarrier said:
    I signed up for the enrollments on the Silver dollars. I’ve never owned a proof silver dollar before. The reverse proof sounds particularly interesting!

Anyone have a link for the enrollments?

I can't find one.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/coin-programs/morgan-and-peace-silver-dollar-coins/?cm_mmc=ExactTarget--Campaign--20220816MorganPeaceEmail_Purchasers-_-ViewProductCTA&utm_source=Campaign&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_content=ViewProductCTA&utm_campaign=20220816MorganPeaceEmail_Purchasers&cm_mmca1=Marketing&cm_mmca2=Purchasers&cm_mmca3=&cc=MORGANPEACE

• Options

Looks like summer for the uncirculated coins and fall for the proofs. Plenty of time to get your enrollments in.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2022 4:56PM

@Type2 said:

@BucketHead said:

@HATTRICK said:
    I did not see anything in the weekly Mint sales figures for these enrollments and do not expect to. In the past Coin World
    has received and reported allocations for enrollments on some coins, however I have not seen anything on these coins.
    When I get information on quantities available for enrollments or the quantities of enrollments accepted so far I will post in this thread.

On the mint's website it is stating that the mintage will be:

275K for the unc. Morgan and Peace
    400k for the Proof Morgan and Peace
    250K for the Rev Proof

I'm sure they reserve the right to revise these numbers as they do with the pricing.

But the mintage on them are way lower then the other key Morgan's.

The problem (. If that’s the correct term) is the large number of 69’s and 70’s available for these recent issues and everyone is pretty much able to buy some. The old issues don’t have the quantity of great condition coins or even close. Back then there weren’t lots of dedicated collectors as today. I still believe the old issues will hold value due to lack of population 😁( nice run on sentence, eh? 😂

• Options

For anyone who may not have noticed the 2023 Product Schedule is now on the mint website.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2022 9:48AM

I just noticed on the Morgan & Peace subscriptions for the 2023 coins it now says

1 set shipped per year per subscription.

Does that mean you need to make 3 separate subscriptions of 1 each to get the household limit of three shipped ?

Why does the mint continue to F with order limits once established ? Because they can. :#

• Options

Breaking news update.

This just in from the mint. Our new director of doing weird stuff 😁
    And this just in….. Welcome our new director of shipping. Just arrived but judging by the mode of transportation this director knows the problem’s inside out 🙀

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will continue to stay out... I never got a 2021, and there really is not a reason for me to start now. I have so many coins I need already. This would just be one more thing.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2022 5:23PM

@HATTRICK said:
    I just noticed on the Morgan & Peace subscriptions for the 2023 coins it now says

Does that mean you need to make 3 separate subscriptions of 1 each to get the household limit of three shipped ?

Why does the mint continue to F with order limits once established ? Because they can. :#

Looks like they added that line to all of the currently available subscriptions, except for M8.

Example:

Source: https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-women-quarters-ornament-subscription-NF.html

• Options

I assume demand is picking up quite substantially.

• Options

@fathom said:

Assuming the "data-available" field means the same thing for subscriptions as it does for other "add to bag" items:
    ~ NL currently has 58,190 available subscription units out of a mintage limit of 250,000;
    ~ NG currently has 169,218 available subscription units out of a mintage limit of 400,000;
    ~ NJ currently has 179,448 available subscription units out of a mintage limit of 400,000;
    ~ NH currently has 90,626 available subscription units out of a mintage limit of 275,000;
    ~ NK currently has 94,868 available subscription units out of a mintage limit of 275,000.

• Options

@MetroD said:

@fathom said:

Assuming the "data-available" field means the same thing for subscriptions as it does for other "add to bag" items:
    ~ NL currently has 58,190 available subscription units out of a mintage limit of 250,000;
    ~ NG currently has 169,218 available subscription units out of a mintage limit of 400,000;
    ~ NJ currently has 179,448 available subscription units out of a mintage limit of 400,000;
    ~ NH currently has 90,626 available subscription units out of a mintage limit of 275,000;
    ~ NK currently has 94,868 available subscription units out of a mintage limit of 275,000.

This is awesome info! How are you getting these numbers? Insider?🤣🤣

• Options

@Jsmiith said:
    This is awesome info! How are you getting these numbers? Insider?🤣🤣

Definitely not an insider. Just learned from the knowledgable and generous people here. :)

~ Open up a webpage for a Mint item of interest. For example, NL.
    ~ Left click "show page source" on the tool bar of your browser. (I assume that this is located in different areas depending upon your specific browser. For me, in Apple Safari, it is under "develop".)
    ~ Search for "data-available" in the "page source" information.

Here is what it currently looks like for NL:

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:

When I was on there today, my takeaway was that they just call each coin is its own subscription, but you don’t have to order it three separate times. Just change the quantity up to 3 when you add to cart. When you go into “manage subscriptions” it allows you to change the quantity easily, or put it on indefinite pause. This is the first time I’ve bought anything from the mint, figured there’s not much downside and I was a little surprised it was actually simple. We’ll see if it’s as painless when they fulfill the orders.

• Options

Well now. 🤔
    Here’s my subscription page. Not all but enough to show that they didn’t change mine, yet😁

• Options

There is massive reporting delays on the presale numbers.

It's a government operation.

• Options

@fathom said:
    There is massive reporting delays on the presale numbers.

It's a government operation.

I am not saying the Mint is perfect.

That said, the number of available subscription units appears to be updating in real-time.

Since my last post:
    ~ NL (RP Set) - # of available subscription units down by 35;
    ~ NG (Proof Morgan) - # of available subscription units down by 26;
    ~ NJ (Proof Peace) - # of available subscription units down by 33;
    ~ NH (Unc. Morgan) - # of available subscription units down by 34;
    ~ NK (Unc. Peace) - # of available subscription units down by 35.

Also not saying that this is the quantity the Mint will sell via subscription at release. It is just a 'snapshot in time' of the current 'reservations'. A lot can happen between now and 'summer/fall' 2023 (e.g., customers can change their subscription quantities, Mint can change HOL, etc.).

Simply trying to gauge 'demand/interest' via the subscription numbers. FWIW, CW did essentially the same thing back in AUG-2022.
    Link: https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2023-silver-dollar-enrollments-rising-but-plenty-remain

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dumb question, do subscriptions count as orders when the item goes available? Or does one still have to log into the Mint site and battle the bots?

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    edited December 7, 2022 6:59PM

The subscription is automatically filled. They’ll contact you a day or so before release date. Now I have noticed that the quantity HHL does carry over. For example, if HHL is 3 and you ordered 2 on subscription you can only order one more on release day, generally. At least that’s been my experience 😁

• Options

Does anyone think these will sell out as fast as the 2021 Morgan and Peace issues ? Got my subscription in for the proofs.
    I love <3 shiny silver coins.

• Options

Right now:

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like I won't be getting three of each?

• Options

Mine shows 😀

When I click on an individual item it shows this. 🤔

• Options

Got mine in. FOMO for sure. Plus always loved Morgan’s.

Definitely a fan of the subscription system vs, chaos on line at noon.
    Taylor Swift tickets anyone?

• Options
    edited February 11, 2023 1:40PM

Are all the 2023 Morgan & Peace Silver Dollar Proofs and Uncirculated sold out thru Subscriptions ? LOL :D

If you are watching Magic Mike right now selling his MS70 Silver eagles he is saying "Better buy now because all of the 2023 Proof Silver Eagles and all of the 2023 Morgan & Peace silver coins are already SOLD OUT thru subscriptions"

and there is such a silver shortage the mint can't even get the silver to make the coins.

Either he ordered everything that was left this morning or his nose will start to grow. :D

Better buy his now while you can.

Unbelievable the stuff this guy claims and even more unbelievable is the number of people who fall for it.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    Does anyone think these will sell out as fast as the 2021 Morgan and Peace issues ? Got my subscription in for the proofs.
    I love <3 shiny silver coins.

Highly unlikely, given the higher mintages, the longer time they are available for subscription, and the lower subscription limits.

• Options

While reviewing my subscriptions for these coins today I noticed the following:
    You can now edit billing information to change payment method, shipping method, and shipping address
    It also shows the following dates for shipment of these coins:
    Morgan & Peace uncirculated July 19
    Morgan & Peace Proof Sept. 13
    Reverse Proof Set Nov. 14

Months to go before they ship. :(

• Options

With the price increase on everything I don’t mind having some time to set aside the necessary money. But agree, sooner on at least one would be nice. 😀👶😻

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Anyone have an update on this series? I’m curious about the interest from the public. I’m looking at this as the beginning of the series and will stick around for a couple years to see if it flames out.

I guess you might need an inside source at the mint to know, but figured I’d throw it out there

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭

somehow my subscriptions to the Morgan/peace dollars are doubled. I have two sets, three each. This is despite having an HHL of only three. I assume at some point the Mint will correct this.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2023 5:32AM

@Orlena said:
    Anyone have an update on this series? I’m curious about the interest from the public. I’m looking at this as the beginning of the series and will stick around for a couple years to see if it flames out.

I guess you might need an inside source at the mint to know, but figured I’d throw it out there

The peace dollar and the CC morgan where the big winners from last year.
    Because there’s only one choice of mm and such you would think, 2023 , perhaps. Now prices and product quantity will have an effect but with no commemoratives and massive mintage on the ase’s, there’s a chance these will be it. Nobody likes the Liberty or armed forces medals. The silver proof set and limited edition set are way expensive. They messed up the woman’s quarter program with terrible packaging and increased mintage. What’s left? So maybe 😁🙀

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

New U.S. Mint Prices for 2023 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars and Set

U.S. Mint 2023 Morgan & Peace Silver Dollar Products and Prices
    Product Mint / Mint Mark Mintage* Original Price New Price
    2023-P Uncirculated Morgan Silver Dollar Philadelphia – No Mint Mark 275,000 $67.00 $76.00
    2023-P Uncirculated Peace Silver Dollar Philadelphia – No Mint Mark 275,000 $67.00 $76.00
    2023-S Proof Morgan Silver Dollar San Francisco – S 400,000 $73.00 $80.00
    2023-S Proof Peace Silver Dollar San Francisco – S 400,000 $73.00 $80.00
    2023-S Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar Reverse Proof Set San Francisco – S 250,000 $175.00 $185.00

https://www.coinnews.net/2023/03/03/new-u-s-mint-prices-for-2023-morgan-and-peace-silver-dollars-and-set/

• Options

Seems reasonable. The poor mint is just trying to break even. If I look carefully at the gigantic price increase of silver!! Wait, no it’s cheaper than last year. They just are reaching for the moon. 😂

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file