Options

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the mint has learned to close enrollments before they wipe out the inventory in an effort to have some available on day of sale. Note the drastically reduced limits with the enrollments.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the intention here is to give more collectors a much longer opportunity to get their orders in for these and avoid the secondary market.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    I believe the mint has learned to close enrollments before they wipe out the inventory in an effort to have some available on day of sale. Note the drastically reduced limits with the enrollments.

I hope you're right but I think your giving them to much credit.
    We'll see

• Options

@Onastone said:
    Thanks for this thread @HATTRICK I would've missed this. Seriously, didn't see this for 3 weeks as you began the post in June!!

You are very welcome. I have learned much from this forum and am very happy to provide any useful information when I can.

P.S. And sometimes I like to throw a little gas on the fire. >:)

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Thanks for this thread @HATTRICK I would've missed this. Seriously, didn't see this for 3 weeks as you began the post in June!!

@Onastone said:

By the time these start hitting the credit card statement & shipping out...I'll have completely forgotten about them I'm afraid!

I hope someone keeps bumping this thread in the future to remind me that I "may" have ordered something! :-)

BST references available on request

• Options

Guarantee we keep this puppy going. Too much opportunity for speculating and pondering the ways of the “US Mint “. 😉🙀🦫

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:

By the time these start hitting the credit card statement & shipping out...I'll have completely forgotten about them I'm afraid!

I hope someone keeps bumping this thread in the future to remind me that I "may" have ordered something! :-)

I will keep everyone updated with the latest developments on this series unless I am partying with this crew
    o:)o:)o:)o:)

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    I think the intention here is to give more collectors a much longer opportunity to get their orders in for these and avoid the secondary market.

Yes, and I really appreciate the Mint doing this. It has solved many problems I had in the past. For the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars, I missed out on all of them because I just could not break through the crowds on release day before they sold out. So, I ended up getting them all from a dealer, and I was glad to be able to do that (all PCGS MS70).

• Options

a bump for anyone who might have missed this. The enrollment process is the best and easiest way to guarantee you get your coins. :)

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

This excerpt from an article in coinworld.com would seem to indicate that they aren't running out of these anytime soon.

That also reminds me of this Seinfeld classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KmTTy_MM5w

The 2023 Morgan and Peace dollar product options, with the maximum number of coins available, number of enrollments placed as of July 27, rounded off, and number of coins those enrollments reflect, rounded off, are:

ä Uncirculated 2023 Morgan dollar, 275,000 coins maximum, struck without P Mint mark at Philadelphia Mint; 21,000 enrollments reflecting 42,000 coins.

ä Uncirculated 2023 Peace dollar, 275,000, struck without P Mint mark at Philadelphia Mint; 25,000 enrollments, reflecting almost 50,000 coins.

ä Proof 2023-S Morgan dollar, 400,000 coins, San Francisco Mint; 25,000 enrollments, reflecting nearly 50,000 coins.

ä Proof 2023-S Peace dollar, 400,000 coins, San Francisco Mint; 24,000 enrollments, reflecting nearly 48,000 coins.

ä Reverse Proof 2023-S Morgan and Peace dollar two-coin set, 250,000 sets; 25,000 enrollments reflecting approximately 50,000 sets.

• Options

At this time it is likely that most enrollments are collectors that want them for their collections. As we have seen with the ASEs nothing is selling out do the bulk buyers getting the 40 coin trays without going to the resell market making flipping DOA. Also the mint could decide to offer 40 coin trays of these to the bulk purchasers which would make them DOA for flipping

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 enrollments each for proof Morgan's and the reverse 2 coin set only.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffas1974 said:
    This excerpt from an article in coinworld.com would seem to indicate that they aren't running out of these anytime soon.

That also reminds me of this Seinfeld classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KmTTy_MM5w

The 2023 Morgan and Peace dollar product options, with the maximum number of coins available, number of enrollments placed as of July 27, rounded off, and number of coins those enrollments reflect, rounded off, are:

ä Uncirculated 2023 Morgan dollar, 275,000 coins maximum, struck without P Mint mark at Philadelphia Mint; 21,000 enrollments reflecting 42,000 coins.

ä Uncirculated 2023 Peace dollar, 275,000, struck without P Mint mark at Philadelphia Mint; 25,000 enrollments, reflecting almost 50,000 coins.

ä Proof 2023-S Morgan dollar, 400,000 coins, San Francisco Mint; 25,000 enrollments, reflecting nearly 50,000 coins.

ä Proof 2023-S Peace dollar, 400,000 coins, San Francisco Mint; 24,000 enrollments, reflecting nearly 48,000 coins.

ä Reverse Proof 2023-S Morgan and Peace dollar two-coin set, 250,000 sets; 25,000 enrollments reflecting approximately 50,000 sets.

Thanks for sharing this information. :)

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the full article.

• Options
    edited August 7, 2022 9:27AM

@MetroD said:
    If anyone is interested, here is a link to the full article.

An interesting blurb that I noted from within the coinworld article:

The Mint is currently accepting enrollments for the program’s product options, a marketing avenue that helps the Mint foresee demand for the program.

While the above comment might produce valuable marketing data - I do not honestly believe that US Gov't workers, employed by the US Mint, would know how to properly capitalize on that data as someone in the real marketing world would know how to do.

Another blurb of note:

Plans for 2022 coins were announced but then abandoned due to planchet shortages. Mint officials indicate the procurement division is still having difficulty securing enough 1-ounce .999 fine silver planchets for 2023 production.

Might there be a possibility of a cancellation of the 2023 offerings, if enough planchets can not be procured? Or might the Mint go ahead and produce what they can, to meet demand, and thus Mike will have another unique story about the Mint to talk about (The great 2023 planchet shortage and how very special and valuable these limited releases are).

• Options

@HoneyMarket I noticed that too. Could 2023 Morgan's turn into another 2019 ase reverse or 1995-w ase ultra low mintage?

• Options

@spyglassdesign said:
    @HoneyMarket I noticed that too. Could 2023 Morgan's turn into another 2019 ase reverse or 1995-w ase ultra low mintage?

Ask the cats with the OUIJA board. They can give you a guess as well as anyone and remember that "Box of Chocolates" thing. :D

• Options
    alangloialangloi Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

Rather odd comment from the Mint as the Morgan/Peace silver dollars are not 1 oz, rather about .859 ounce of silver.

• Options

@HATTRICK yeah I meant that more rhetorically as obviously no one knows the future... Not even the US mint. 😁👍

• Options

@alangloi said:
    Rather odd comment from the Mint as the Morgan/Peace silver dollars are not 1 oz, rather about .859 ounce of silver.

Maybe the author "rounded up" as he did with the numbers...

• Options

Will they or won't they ? "Only their hairdressers know for sure" :D

2023 will be another rollercoaster ride for U S Mint releases.

• Options

Did you call? 😉🙀🦫

• Options

The 2022 ASE's were non sellouts thru enrollments. How will the 2023 Morgan & Peace Dollars hold up?
    Follow this thread for the latest news and developments. :)

• Options

Well now
    This here looks familiar. But rentals can be like that.
    Me and the boys will set up over here in the corner and look for some new fun and amusing pics to post.
    Hopefully you got a good deal on the rent and we’re able to get a month to month lease. 😉🦫🙀

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Well now
    This here looks familiar. But rentals can be like that.
    Me and the boys will set up over here in the corner and look for some new fun and amusing pics to post.
    Hopefully you got a good deal on the rent and we’re able to get a month to month lease. 😉🦫🙀

Que???? :/

• Options

Hattrick has moved from the 2022 proof ase thread to this here new fangled thread for 2023 Morgan’s and Peace Dollar.
    I was pretending that he rented a used space as this is a current thread he’s converting into the new one.
    I enjoy posting with him and many others so I pretended to rent a “corner”, to set up my “table of pontification “. 😉🦫🙀
    I also enjoy posting the occasional cat cartoon. Thanks 😁

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mint just sent out (today) email reminders that enrollments for the 2023 Moran & Proof dollars are available.

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I'll get the first year proofs only and be done. Enrolled today and will cancel after order is in hand.

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

I might get the proof version. I think the business strikes are over rated and make the 100 university coins shrink in significance.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2022 2:19PM

wrong thread

• Options

I will buy the proofs for sure. I am addicted to shiny silver coins. <3

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    At this time it is likely that most enrollments are collectors that want them for their collections. As we have seen with the ASEs nothing is selling out do the bulk buyers getting the 40 coin trays without going to the resell market making flipping DOA. Also the mint could decide to offer 40 coin trays of these to the bulk purchasers which would make them DOA for flipping

True, but the 2022 ASEs do not have mintage limits, and these do. The mint can surely do 40 coin trays, but, unless they change what they have published, they cannot sell coins outside the limits they already announced.

It seems as though the mintages are just too high, given how many different ones they are producing, and how expensive they are relative to intrinsic value, to attract much interest beyond true collectors. That's what's going to make these DOA for flipping, as opposed to trays maybe being available to bulk buyers.

Which is a little ironic, since these mintages are probably lower than those that produced sellouts for the ASEs, after taking the trays sold outside the product limits into account!

• Options
    edited August 16, 2022 7:18PM

Mintage will be further limited by the number of planchets the mint is able to procure. Keep in mind these are commercial sources that likely have more profitable avenues to sell their silver.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't hold my breath on actual mintages being much lower than the max figures put out there already.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I wouldn't hold my breath on actual mintages being much lower than the max figures put out there already.

Agreed, not buying planchet shortage.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2022 9:46PM

Add to that the uncertainty on the finished product.

Curious how they pull off the Peace proof without it looking like an ebay silver round.

Or perhaps I am just tired and grumpy right now.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not particularly interested in any of these. However, I enrolled for one of each of them. This way, I can make my decision when the time comes. I can cancel my enrollment if I decide I don't want a particular issue.

• Options

@CoinHoarder said:
    Not particularly interested in any of these. However, I enrolled for one of each of them. This way, I can make my decision when the time comes. I can cancel my enrollment if I decide I don't want a particular issue.

I do like these coins and was very excited when they came out last year. I am also enrolled for each one. I will be excited to see the proof versions and two-coin set next year. Unless there are unique issues like this every year, I'm sure a lot of us will get tired of them if they're issued every year.

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

I too have subscribed for one of each offer. There is plenty of time to firm my decision to cancel, increase or keep my subscription at one each. Likely I will obtain one each as I think these will be a nice addition to my collection.

However, should the mint continue to produce these coins annually without any low mintages, unique finishes or a combination thereof, collector’s interest may begin to fade.

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

https://lcrcoin.com/2023-morgan-peace-dollar-proof-70-6-pc-complete-set/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqZXv1NPs-QIVr8mUCR2aeA0zEAQYASABEgLuifD_BwE

I was wondering how long it would take before we started seeing the secondary market get in on the action...

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2022 1:08PM

Ok Guess I will enroll. Got one of each. Probably will not be good resale value. Just want for my collection.

• Options

There will be plenty 70s in all varieties of these available from many dealers at reasonable prices as they now have access to all they need without buying on the secondary raw coin market. Price competition will be aggressive as many will rush to unload their stock.

• Options

I wonder if these spot like ASEs.

• Options

If not enough planchets the subscriptions will be cancelled.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2022 8:07PM

I’m feeling any proof from the mint ase or commemorative or otherwise has the potential to spot. When is the question. Perhaps not at all. 😉🦫🙀
    I’ve got several examples of early on ( arrived from the mint, spotted) too a couple years down the road. And, ofcourse, many that appear fine. Have stopped buying slabbed 70’s. Can’t handle the value going from top tier to melt. I’ll take a 69 anymore 😁

• Options

Yes. I will not buy 70 ASEs anymore because of spotting.

• Options

@erp said:

@HATTRICK said:
    The 2022 ASE's were non sellouts thru enrollments. How will the 2023 Morgan & Peace Dollars hold up?
    Follow this thread for the latest news and developments. :)

From checking the availableCount, about 110-120k of each have been reserved so far.

I'm getting the reverse proof set. Saw this on a youtube video and it looks like Fiji has stolen the design but gives a nice sneak peek at what it will look like. (don't want to advertise for them, but you can google for "2022 reverse proof morgan")

These coins look absolutely magnificent! Can't wait till the U.S. coins are released.

• Options

The coins in the picture don’t look right, to me. Something awkward about them. 😉🦫🙀

• Options

@younique said:

@7Jaguars said:

Agreed, not buying planchet shortage.

While a shortage may appear in the future, the mint would not advertise mintages that it cannot support with its current planchet inventory. Unless of course it set mintages based on promised planchets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file