Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps VS OPC baseball observations...

Comments

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johfr said:
    That 1965 Aaron in an 8 seems like a relative bargain compared to the 1985 Gooden.

The 65Aaron for sure has a greater upside for % increase. Possible a collector with a few bucks who collects out of memories more so than as investment? If that is the case great.

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1966CUDA said:
    Wanting to send in these OPC cards..just dont want to pay the higher grading fees (sorry about the bad pic..crappy cell phone) !

That ‘66 Banks is a beauty. Impossible to find that one centered like that. Congrats.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya that stood out for me as well. I have a few 9's and a stack of 30-40 raw so can't complain.

It is a fairly tough card, of the 50-60 I've gone through not sure one will 10. Have a few at SGC - along with a few Kirby's, have a stack of those as well, to see how they grade them.

@craig44 said:
    the price on the gooden surprises me. very strong price for that card. I guess Doc still has many fans.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA 9 AARON OPC 1975 - maybe $3,000

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    the price on the gooden surprises me. very strong price for that card. I guess Doc still has many fans.

The way the various Committees have been going, it is not at all unlikely he gets into the HoF. He almost certainly holds the record for a halfway decent or better pitcher of percentage of career value before his 21st birthday, but that value (at 19 and 20) was so high that there are several pitchers in that didn't reach it over the course of their career.

• Options
    SeaverfanSeaverfan Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

Met him at a card show about 10 years ago with my 3 boys... Such a gentleman! Made small talk with the kids. Huge hands!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree on Gooden. I met him 4 years ago. really nice and personable guy.

and yes, his hands are huge.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2022 11:13PM

A 1971 Yastrzemski just got put up on eBay. It’s only been for a few days and it’s over $500 and counting. Such a tough card to find. Will be fun to see what the winning bid is. The card is poorly centered but it just never comes up for sale.

• Options

PSA 7 1975 OPC Brett PSA 7 sold for just over $1000 US in Probstein auction that just ended. That has to be a new record price for the grade and in an early PSA holder. Holy Moly!!

• Options

@PNWcollector said:
    A 1971 Yastrzemski just got put up on eBay. It’s only been for a few days and it’s over $500 and counting. Such a tough card to find. Will be fun to see what the winning bid is. The card is poorly centered but it just never comes up for sale.

Slabbed or raw?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:
    PSA 7 1975 OPC Brett PSA 7 sold for just over $1000 US in Probstein auction that just ended. That has to be a new record price for the grade and in an early PSA holder. Holy Moly!!

man, that is a strong price. I only paid a few hundred more than that when I got my PSA 9 a few years ago. glad I did!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@PNWcollector said:

Slabbed or raw?

Raw

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Seaverfan said:
    Boy, the PSA 8 and PSA 9 OPC Murray rookies are both beautiful! It can be so difficult to see signficant differences particularly with an OPC 8 and 9, with "rough" cut edges and corners.... Both look great in this case.

The colors on the Murray OPC rookie makes it more visually appealing than the Topps counterpart. Great card!

• Options

@PNWcollector said:

Card ending up selling for nearly $1300 US! 1971 OPC High numbers getting these prices is awesome!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t realize the high numbers from 1971 OPC carry such a premium.

• Options

A raw 1971 OPC Clemente sold a few days ago for $500-600. Was probably in VG condition.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

I have a 1971 OPC Fingers PSA 8. Any thoughts on value?

• Options

@jayhawke said:

I don't have any idea. I don't collect him. I know a nettles is on ebay for $125 for a PSA 8. Maybe $175. but this is just a guess. i have no real info.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayhawke said:

One sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago for $306.00

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@jayhawke said:

awesome. better than i thought, OPC is red hot!!

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@jayhawke said:

Thanks, that is ironic! I have never seen one for sale. I am surprised it went for that price. It's a low pop. I think it's a 1K card.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1971 O-Pee-Chee Steve Garvey in PSA 8.5 (POP 1 with only one 9). What do you suppose my 8.5 is worth?

• Options

There are a few lower grade 71 Garveys in the 4SC current auction, fwiw

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

OPC Garvey 8.5. My guess - 1200-1300

• Options

Last night a 1984 opc mattingly sold for $2,000. Nice sale. Her are the pops on the Mattingly rookies

Donruss psa 10 295

Fleer Psa 10 410

Topps PSa 10 877

Tiffany PSA 10 51

OPC PSA 10 51

Nestle PSA 10 77

Highest selling of the above:

1) Donruss
    2) Tiffany
    3) OPC
    4) Nestle
    5) Topps
    6) Fleer

Tiffany and opc far exceed in rare gem mint form. Not really close. Fleer is last in highest selling but is twice as hard as topps in PSA 10 and the wax boxes are 10 times harder to come by than Topps. OPC still undervalued, Donruss overvalued, Fleer should be almost twice as much as topps.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    Last night a 1984 opc mattingly sold for $2,000. Nice sale. Her are the pops on the Mattingly rookies

Donruss psa 10 295

Fleer Psa 10 410

Topps PSa 10 877

Tiffany PSA 10 51

OPC PSA 10 51

Nestle PSA 10 77

Highest selling of the above:

1) Donruss
    2) Tiffany
    3) OPC
    4) Nestle
    5) Topps
    6) Fleer

Tiffany and opc far exceed in rare gem mint form. Not really close. Fleer is last in highest selling but is twice as hard as topps in PSA 10 and the wax boxes are 10 times harder to come by than Topps. OPC still undervalued, Donruss overvalued, Fleer should be almost twice as much as topps.

Yes, but the Donruss has always been key. Mattingly didn't have close to a Hall of Fame career, so his cards will always be valued on romance, and there is great romance attached to the 1984 Donruss Mattingly. It really was the card that legitimized Donruss as a card brand. Probably Fleer, too. Without that card Donruss and Fleer were doomed to second rate status. Tiffany and O-Pee-Chee can't possibly compare.

• Options

Just picked up a 1975 O-pee-chee Nolan Ryan Psa 8.

Psa 8 Pop

OPC 24

Topps 951

Incredible. I had no idea it was that rare. Until I purchased it.

• Options

A '75 OPC Baseball Dave McNally PSA 10 (pop 1) sold for $593 in an eBay auction this week. I'm confused about what this sale says about the current and future value of vintage OPC baseball cards given that this is a common player and not many people are building PSA graded sets these days. Perhaps any PSA 10 pop 1 is highly valued by enough collectors in today's market to keep driving the prices of such cards higher and higher.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@reelinintheyears said:
    A '75 OPC Baseball Dave McNally PSA 10 (pop 1) sold for $593 in an eBay auction this week. I'm confused about what this sale says about the current and future value of vintage OPC baseball cards given that this is a common player and not many people are building PSA graded sets these days. Perhaps any PSA 10 pop 1 is highly valued by enough collectors in today's market to keep driving the prices of such cards higher and higher.

I have a pack pulled, pop 1, PSA 10 1975 OPC Dave Nelson #435 that I would sell for $500 shipped if anyone is interested.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

The OPC sets are frustrating to collect due to the low number printed/being sold. I went to Chantilly last October for a show and hardly any dealers had OPC cards, baseball or hockey. They said they had some at home but not with them. Sometimes a lack of supply of an item can hinder it's value due to little or no prior sales. I price them by the Topps issue. While the Topps is more popular, if an item has an extremely low and it's selling for near the Topps, I buy. Like above with the Ryan purchase. I bought it for what the topps are selling for or pretty close but the supply difference is just unbelievable. 951 to 24. Seems like a slam dunk.

• Options

Supply and demand, it's simple economics. The primary reason that OPC stars sell for a nice amount is the player set registry. The number of OPC set collectors, however, is very thin and that will never change, as OPC baseball just doesnt have the widespread collector appeal Topps does for baseball.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Supply and demand, it's simple economics. The primary reason that OPC stars sell for a nice amount is the player set registry. The number of OPC set collectors, however, is very thin and that will never change, as OPC baseball just doesnt have the widespread collector appeal Topps does for baseball.

the supply is very low for 1976 and back opc. When collecting a set it's nice to have the cards you need show up on EBAY once in a while. With opc, you cna't even find a raw version you are looking for that's decently centered.

For OPC the supply is really low and the centering is worse than topps. Most of the sets have 40 - 50 % without PSA 10's. Topps is not that way. so you can collect a set in PSA 9 decently easily.

Now to say that the demand/cost for star cards for opc will NEVER eclipse topps seems a little off. I think most rookies already have.

Gwynn opc > topps
    Sandberg opc > topps
    Puckett opc > topps
    Bonds opc > topps
    ryan opc > topps
    Hershiser opc > topps
    Gooden opc > topps
    ozzie opc> topps
    will clark opc > topps
    brett opc > topps
    yount opc > topps
    winfield opc > topps

• Options
    edited February 26, 2022 1:58PM

@olb31 said:

@grote15 said:

the supply is very low for 1976 and back opc. When collecting a set it's nice to have the cards you need show up on EBAY once in a while. With opc, you cna't even find a raw version you are looking for that's decently centered.

For OPC the supply is really low and the centering is worse than topps. Most of the sets have 40 - 50 % without PSA 10's. Topps is not that way. so you can collect a set in PSA 9 decently easily.

Now to say that the demand/cost for star cards for opc will NEVER eclipse topps seems a little off. I think most rookies already have.

Gwynn opc > topps
    Sandberg opc > topps
    Puckett opc > topps
    Bonds opc > topps
    ryan opc > topps
    Hershiser opc > topps
    Gooden opc > topps
    ozzie opc> topps
    will clark opc > topps
    brett opc > topps
    yount opc > topps
    winfield opc > topps

I already mentioned the star card exception. The market for OPC star cards is strong primarily due to player set registry and much thinner supply. OPC sets and common cards in general, though, are valued far lower than Topps, even for very low pop cards when they come up for sale. Can you imagine how much a pop 1 1975 Topps common would command vs a pop 1 1975 OPC common card?

Also, while OPC rookie cards for HOFers in general may be strong for the aforementioned reasons, I do believe there are many instances in which Topps HOFers, even with much higher pops, still command a premium over their OPC counterparts.

• Options

How many times do we have to have the supply and demand convo with olb31. I mean, this is very easy stuff. And I’m sitting on stacks of OPC baseball so I’d love to see this stuff skyrocket. But it’s a niche segment of the market, which is fine. Give me all your Frank Thomas rook’s for 80 bucks, could be worse, they could be more.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion is one of the reasons buyers overlook OPC is they are looking for star/HOF players in PSA 10.

You have to know and love sportscards to understand that a PSA 8 of an OPC card could easily be more "valuable" than the more common Topps version in a PSA 10.

I'm guessing investors have been putting aside part of their portfolios for sportscards. I would say the short/easy answer would to stick with PSA 10's.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@80sOPC said:
    How many times do we have to have the supply and demand convo with olb31. I mean, this is very easy stuff. And I’m sitting on stacks of OPC baseball so I’d love to see this stuff skyrocket. But it’s a niche segment of the market, which is fine. Give me all your Frank Thomas rook’s for 80 bucks, could be worse, they could be more.

The newer collectors are more worried with supply, i.e. serialed number cards. The OPC market is getting stronger each day and I see no reason why it won't climb. OPC PSA 8 Ryan pop 24 or Topps POP 951. If the OPC card had /25 stamped on it, it would blow up.

Also, the brand name changes every few years for the newer cards. The OPC vs Topps (being the main name) won't matter.

For the set registry I do agree. It's just to hard to come across centered OPC cards to make sets. Takes too long to complete a set even with unlimited pockets. I have the number 1 1978 opc set, but I can't finish it because I can't find the cards. I think I only need 1. Cesar Geronimo. I have several to submit but every time I do it comes back "minimum size req".

• Options

I'm very familiar with OPC, like I said have stacks of the stuff. I opened 50 boxes of 85 OPC maybe 10 years ago.

Newer collectors aren't JUST thinking about supply, there is lots of low numbered stuff that doesn't sell well and even more high velocity stuff that sells strong. Demand is the key driver but we've been over this like 800 times , outside of key cards the OPC stuff will never be as popular.

I just collect what I like and don't really care what anyone else wants, makes it much easier then worrying about why a pop 300 cards outsells a pop 3 card.

• Options

A KSA 8 Schmidt rookie sold recently for $1150 US. KSA 8!

• Options

the card in the KSA holder did look nice with some rough cut and sharp corners, so maybe somebody buying the card in this instance?

• Options

1973 Schmidt

Topps POP total = 8,500

OPC pop total = 400

Topps psa 8 = 1,522

OPC psa 8 = 79

Based on these numbers OPC Total Run is approximately 5% of what Topps was in 1973. 1974 and 1976 must be around 2.5% because they are very rare and hard to come by.

• Options

Nothing wrong with KSA if you know the issue and there are high res scans front and back. Make sure it’s not trimmed, adjust 1-2 grades and you are good.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    1973 Schmidt

Topps POP total = 8,500

OPC pop total = 400

Topps psa 8 = 1,522

OPC psa 8 = 79

Based on these numbers OPC Total Run is approximately 5% of what Topps was in 1973. 1974 and 1976 must be around 2.5% because they are very rare and hard to come by.

5% has always been the "rule of thumb" for OPC production compared to Topps but I have not seen any documented proof of that...1970s OPC unopened at least seems about as plentiful as Topps for some years, at least at the present time.

The lower pop numbers overall (imho) have as much to do with popularity and appeal among collectors as they do with production. And while I have pulled my fair share of 9s and 10s from OPC unopened wax over the years, it is also not easy to find mint, centered cards straight out of the pack.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

A thought on the long game for OPC items: Bet-hedgers who stocked up on Gray (Grey) vs. Cream/White back 1981 OPC baseball prior to TPG's acknowledging the difference on the grading labels did very well with the after-spike when there was a rush by registry participants to get the versions they needed once they were being labeled and spec'd correctly. It could be quite a long wait, but eventually, we will see the same thing happen with 1973 OPC hockey back versions.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    A thought on the long game for OPC items: Bet-hedgers who stocked up on Gray (Grey) vs. Cream/White back 1981 OPC baseball prior to TPG's acknowledging the difference on the grading labels did very well with the after-spike when there was a rush by registry participants to get the versions they needed once they were being labeled and spec'd correctly. It could be quite a long wait, but eventually, we will see the same thing happen with 1973 OPC hockey back versions.

I have tried and been waiting for this for a long time . . . Damned Set Registry and my OCD (LOL)

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

1977 basketball will come first, much heavier collected.

• Options

Not OPC though

• Options

Some huge prices on ungraded OPC from Greg Morris. I could only win the marginal players. Seaver For $190, Yaz $70, gibson $130, Bench $155. all 1975 Just crazy. I won a nice Griffey 1975, 1973 cash, cobb most hits, 1973 sutton and couple of others, nothing great. Got out bid on all the stars.

• Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was curious to see if anyone knows if PSA used to be more lenient on O Pee Chee short cut cards in the past. I have been unsuccessful on getting my 1974 OPC All Star Catchers card graded for this reason. I have also included a photo of an older graded 1974 OPC Tony Perez PSA 8 (not mine) that clearly has narrow side borders. Thanks.

• Options

@redlegs said:
    I was curious to see if anyone knows if PSA used to be more lenient on O Pee Chee short cut cards in the past. I have been unsuccessful on getting my 1974 OPC All Star Catchers card graded for this reason. I have also included a photo of an older graded 1974 OPC Tony Perez PSA 8 (not mine) that clearly has narrow side borders. Thanks.

I have some 1968 OPC baseball cards that are short from top to bottom (these are commonly called shorties, at least for 1968) and every time I've tried to get them graded in the past they have come back as min size