Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps VS OPC baseball observations...

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't get a lot of my 1978 opc's to grade. Lots of Murray rookies in this category. Another reason OPC carries/should carry premiums.

1) 5% - 8% print run of topps
    2) centering is more woeful than topps, if you can believe that
    3) many OPC's have minimum size issues.
    4) the way they cut the cards, damaged many also.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    I can't get a lot of my 1978 opc's to grade. Lots of Murray rookies in this category. Another reason OPC carries/should carry premiums.

What are the ‘78’s coming back as minimum size? Did you win those ‘78’s PSA 10’s last week? Commons for $100, wow the market has changed .

• Options

@jayhawke said:

@olb31 said:

What are the ‘78’s coming back as minimum size? Did you win those ‘78’s PSA 10’s last week? Commons for $100, wow the market has changed .

I didn't win one and haven't won one in years. No matter how much I bid, i lose. I just gave up. I am not going to spend over $100 per common. When I first started collecting the set I won every single time for around $75 or lower. I had 0 competition. If you look at the registry i still don't have any competition.

Thanks for asking.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pulled a mint 78 Murray RC from a pack years ago that I subbed several times to PSA and each time it came back Minsizereq. It was slightly narrow. Finally, I just put it into my raw 78 OPC set.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@olb31 said:
    I didn't win one and haven't won one in years. No matter how much I bid, i lose. I just gave up. I am not going to spend over $100 per common. When I first started collecting the set I won every single time for around $75 or lower. I had 0 competition. If you look at the registry i still don't have any competition.

I remember when David Puddy was the only person buying 1978 OPC PSA 10's and they were at $25 or $35 each.

• Options

1974 OPC Winfield PSA 8 sold for $1250 US last night which I believe is a record in this grade.

• Options

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:
    1974 OPC Winfield PSA 8 sold for $1250 US last night which I believe is a record in this grade.

I was watching that card since my collecting focus for the past year or so has been '74 OPC HOFers and I do not yet have a Winfield. Although the Buy It Now price was $1250, I'm not convinced that was the actual purchase price. In the past, I've made offers on Buy It Now listings by sending a private message to the seller; when they accepted my offer they sent me a discounted offer to allow me to purchase it at a lower price. As far as I can tell, PSA's Auction Prices Realized feature does not include eBay non-auction (Buy It Now) sales. Is there a free source that provides the sales prices of eBay non-auction listings?

• Options

@reelinintheyears said:

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:

I was watching that card since my collecting focus for the past year or so has been '74 OPC HOFers and I do not yet have a Winfield. Although the Buy It Now price was $1250, I'm not convinced that was the actual purchase price. In the past, I've made offers on Buy It Now listings by sending a private message to the seller; when they accepted my offer they sent me a discounted offer to allow me to purchase it at a lower price. As far as I can tell, PSA's Auction Prices Realized feature does not include eBay non-auction (Buy It Now) sales. Is there a free source that provides the sales prices of eBay non-auction listings?

In this case, $1250 was the actual sale price.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

grote15, thanks for the confirmation! I guess I'll have to wait for an auction listing for this card in this grade and hope that the final price ends up quite a bit lower than that. If it wasn't a RC, it might not have even reached $100 since it's not that rare of a PSA 8 (pop 20) in comparison to all other '74 OPC HOFers. Earlier this year, I won an eBay auction for a PSA 8 Frank Robinson (pop 3) for only $147.50. And I recently purchased two pop 1 PSA 9s (none higher) for a combined total that was exactly equal to the price of this pop 20 Winfield RC.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a nice Winfield. I was close to pulling the trigger a few times.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

@reelinintheyears said:
    As far as I can tell, PSA's Auction Prices Realized feature does not include eBay non-auction (Buy It Now) sales. Is there a free source that provides the sales prices of eBay non-auction listings?

I have a few PSA Slabs that I bought from listings that had Buy-it-Now / Make Offer (where I made an offer and the seller accepted). Strange thing is sometimes these cards appear in PSA's Auction Prices Realized, and sometimes they do not.

I do have a pet peeve -- with the cards I bought through the Make-Offer option, PSA still lists the FULL amount of the original listing (not the lower amount that was accepted by the seller).

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

1973 PSA opc baseball has been selling very well the past six months.

I’m not going to say it’s on fire, but getting close to it.

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

That '74 Winfield was a good buy. We will all be kicking ourselves when people start to realize just how tough OPC rookies pre 1978 are.

• Options

@johfr said:
    That '74 Winfield was a good buy. We will all be kicking ourselves when people start to realize just how tough OPC rookies pre 1978 are.

I saw it when it was first listed. I wanted to pull the trigger, but snooze you loose. very nice card.

• Options

@olb31 said:

@johfr said:

I saw it when it was first listed. I wanted to pull the trigger, but snooze you loose. very nice card.

Looks better than my Winfield PSA 8. Toughest OPC rookie of the 70s considering the scarcity of 1974 OPC baseball in general.

• Options

really surprised that the 1980 opc ryan only sold for $1550. pop is 11, topps pop is 36 and sold for nearly $8000. in totality the opc pop is 4% of topps on this card. i know there are several people on here that don't think supply matters that much, but in this case the opc pop is so much lower its ridiculous. IMO, this was a steal for the purchaser. heck a 1982 topps ryan sale for $800 in psa 10, and you pick nice raw ones for $1, very plentiful.

• Options

great thread, I have always been drawn to the OPC's and ripped a lot of OPC packs and boxes. This wasn't pulled by me but one of my favorites

70yazOPC8

• Options

Other facts about the 1980 OPC vs Topps Nolan ryan

total pop graded by psa
    opc 291
    topps 5,172

total number of 10's
    opc 11
    topps 36

total number of 9's
    opc 71
    topps 831

total number of 8's
    opc 118
    topps 2,199

Raw purhcase, opc's sale for a little higher

PSA 9 purchase, they both sale for around $300

psa 8 purchase, they both sale for about the same $50

• Options

@olb31 said:
    really surprised that the 1980 opc ryan only sold for $1550. pop is 11, topps pop is 36 and sold for nearly $8000. in totality the opc pop is 4% of topps on this card. i know there are several people on here that don't think supply matters that much, but in this case the opc pop is so much lower its ridiculous. IMO, this was a steal for the purchaser. heck a 1982 topps ryan sale for $800 in psa 10, and you pick nice raw ones for $1, very plentiful.

to put it in perspective, I graded early of the first 80 opc ryan psa 10's from a box rip in 2006/2007. it was a $600 card then. seems like it should be a lot higher than that now

• Options

@beachbumcollecting said:

@olb31 said:

to put it in perspective, I graded early of the first 80 opc ryan psa 10's from a box rip in 2006/2007. it was a $600 card then. seems like it should be a lot higher than that now

It certainly should be near the Topps. The PSA 9 and 8 are.

• Options

@clarke442 said:
    Definitely a Set Registry special . . . A HOF'r and a low pop, but how desirable?

Sweet card. Very Rare in that condition.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Highest priced PSA card:

1992 Ramirez OPC
    1991 Chipper OPC
    1990 Walker OPC
    1990 Sosa OPC
    1989 Johnson OPC
    1987 Bonds OPC
    1987 Canseco OPC
    1987 Clark OPC
    1985 Puckett OPC
    1985 Gooden OPC
    1984 Mattingly OPC
    1983 Gwynn OPC
    1983 Sanberg OPC
    1981 Baines OPC
    1981 Gibson OPC
    1981 Raines OPC
    1979 Ozzie Topps
    1978 Murray Topps
    1977 Fidrych Topps
    1975 Yount Topps
    1975 Brett Topps
    1975 Carter Topps
    1975 Rice Topps
    1974 Winfield OPC
    1973 Schmidt Topps
    1972 Fisk OPC
    1971 Blyleven OPC
    1970 Munson OPC
    1968 Ryan OPC

Keep in mind that the OPC Populations are 5 - 10 % that of Topps. For example Mattingly Topps PSA 10 864, OPC 49. Bonds is worse than that, etc. Fidrych Topps PSA 9 109, OPC 31. The Topps sales for 3.5 times more, It doesn't look like a close call pop wise with any of the cards, but some Topps especialy starting with 1979 and back seem to be more favorable to topps. But when you get to Ryan it's a huge difference between the OPC and Topps. The OPC can be up to 1.5 times more Pricey.

Hockey is just the opposite. OPC sales for more 95% of the time. But the 1987 - 1990 hockey seems to have more OPC available than topps. But availability doesn't seem to matter.

Just thought I would provide some analysis. If find it interesting, yet puzzling.

Super interesting!

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

As someone mentioned earlier, I was surprised the 1980 OPC Ryan PSA 10 sold for that cheap. Someone got a steal.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Awesome Winfield Mike! Safe to say that's at least a $777 card today!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:

Thanx Steve - much appreciated.

Mike
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@balco758 said:

Beautiful Winfield. Love those boxes too.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

@Stone193 said:

@balco758 said:

Beautiful Winfield. Love those boxes too.

Thanx Brad - very kind.

Mike
  • Options

1974 auction results

Juan Marichal opc psa 8 sold for $1,200 pop 1
    Reggie Jackson opc psa 8 sold for $550 pop 2 one higher

1975 George Brett opc psa 8 sold for $1,800

1973 ryan opc psa 7 sold for $275, off-centered.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    1974 auction results

Juan Marichal opc psa 8 sold for $1,200 pop 1
    Reggie Jackson opc psa 8 sold for $550 pop 2 one higher

1975 George Brett opc psa 8 sold for $1,800

1973 ryan opc psa 7 sold for $275, off-centered.

I have a 1973 Ryan OPC PSA 8 OC and Jackson PSA 9 OC. Such a tough cards to find centered.

• Options

I placed what I thought were reasonable bids on the Marical and Jackson, but came up waaaaay short! I'm 54 and will be lucky to complete my quest to collect the '74 OPC HOFer subset in high grade (8NQ or higher) within my lifetime!

• Options

Awesome Hank. I will be willing to triple your investment and give you $150. LOL!!

• Options

Nice Hank!

I was watching the Winfield that just sold but it seemed tilted to me.

• Options

just a few minutes ago 1968 opc ryan psa 4 sold for $2,900. opc is very rare, no reason to think this trend doesn't continue. topps psa 4 sells for around $950.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    just a few minutes ago 1968 opc ryan psa 4 sold for $2,900. opc is very rare, no reason to think this trend doesn't continue. topps psa 4 sells for around $950.

@olb31 In your opinion what do you think a PSA 6 OPC Ryan would sell for in this current market? I value your opinion and appreciate you giving OPC baseball cards the respect they deserve. Disclaimer: I own a copy

• Options

I have one also. a psa 8 oc sold for $10,000. I would think they would be comparable.

• Options

The serialed numbered cards used for the past 20 years goes to show that people like low supply cards. Mahomes auto numbered to 500 will never sale for the same thing that one numbered to 10 will sale for (same card). So why should a 1984 donruss mattingly sale for anywhere near what an opc would sale for. huge difference in pop 10's, huge difference in number graded, huge number of donruss factory sets and unopened boxes compared to opc.

at some point it will matter greatly, like gwynn, bonds, ryan do currently.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    I have one also. a psa 8 oc sold for $10,000. I would think they would be comparable.

yes, i believe that qualifiers bring the value down 2 numerical grades. so a psa 8 oc should be worth the same as psa 6.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently picked up this 1970 OPC Baltimore Orioles team card (World Champs year) in a PSA 8 for $57 which is less than recent Topps versions that have been sold.

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

O-Pee-Chee baseball (1965-1990) has seen a pretty significant increase in value over the past few years. I believe OPC baseball will continue to increase in popularity. If you look at the population there is very little supply.

Prior to 1981 you don't really have much to collect if you are looking for specific players or teams. Let's use Thurman Munson as an example. If you want to collect Munson cards from during his career you are pretty limited to Topps, OPC, SSPC and a few odd ball special Topps issues. The Topps regular issue stuff is generally plentiful. Adding OPC to your collection seems likely. The available supply of OPC cards is so low that just a few collectors doing this would drive the price up. I'm sure we can all come up with lots of popular players from the late 60's and 70's that this is the case with.

The other issue is the quality of the cards. OPC baseball in general had very poor quality (poorly cut, poorly centered, lots of printing flaws). Finding high end (8 or better) cards is damn near impossible in many of these years. Just try to put together a 1974 OPC Baseball set, it'll cost you a fortune in money and time searching.

• Options

I have a pop 1 PSA 10 1975 OPC baseball #435 Dave Nelson that I pulled from a pack and submitted to PSA. Any guesses on current value?

• Options

pop 1 helps, but not many people have a 1975 opc registry due to the lack of inventory. plus 660 cards makes it almost cost prohibited. i would guess no more than $250 - $300 but that is just a guess. i would ask more if i were to try to sell it. start at $750 or best offer, maybe

• Options

@grote15 said:
    I have a pop 1 PSA 10 1975 OPC baseball #435 Dave Nelson that I pulled from a pack and submitted to PSA. Any guesses on current value?

Very recently on Ebay, two '75 OPC PSA 10's (Montgomery & Friesleben, both pop 2s) sold for $517 each and a '75 OPC PSA 10 Horton (pop 1) sold for $611. I have a '75 OPC PSA 10 McCarver (pop 1) that I picked up years ago that I've considered putting up for sale to help fund my pursuit of '74 OPC HOFers but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Somebody put a '73 OPC PSA 10 McCarver (pop 1) on Ebay for $1,595 obo right after he passed away last week but it hasn't sold yet.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has always been my favorite Reggie card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364150451810?autorefresh=true

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what I don’t get about OPC…the 9s and the 5s look the same!

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

Since it's an older flip, I can't chalk the seemingly low grade up to the current grading standards. I assume that there's a flaw that's not detectable when viewing the photo. As a collector of OPC's from this era, if the poster of this card is aware of the flaw that resulted in what appears to be an 8-9 being a 5 I'd love to know.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

Totally agree!!!