Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***The Official 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coin Program Thread***…On sale Jan. 6th!

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 7:12AM

@Martin said:
    Serious question. What is the allure of the privy mark in this case? It’s not like there are very few for the coin it most likely will be the highest mintage of any of the offerings. What am I missing here?

Martin

It has created the illusion of rarity. The fact is that 20,000 coins for a modern coin is not "rare". These are not ASEs or Morgans. If the only coins minted were the 20 000 privy coins, these still wouldn't be worth $90. But when it is the smallest mintage of the set, it creates the illusion of rarity when though most commems struggle to sell more than 30,000 as @cagcrisp summary shows.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

In case you missed this NN Mint Stats post.

Can anyone else check my numbers for these 'available' coins.

I'm using Firefox's 'Page source.'

Negro Leagues Baseball 2022 Proof Silver Dollar....89,876

Negro Leagues Baseball 2022 Proof Silver Dollar with Privy Mark....0

Negro Leagues Baseball 2022 Proof Silver Dollar Coin and Jackie Robinson Silver Medal Set....7,071

Negro Leagues Baseball 2022 Three-Coin Proof Set....2,528

Negro Leagues Baseball 2022 Proof Half Dollar....19,744

Negro Leagues Baseball 2022 Uncirculated Silver Dollar....25,212

Negro Leagues Baseball 2022 Uncirculated Half Dollar....14,019

Negro Leagues Baseball 2022 Proof Five-Dollar Gold Coin....5,024

Negro Leagues Baseball 2022 Uncirculated Five-Dollar Gold Coin...2,203

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The Negro Leagues three piece set intrigues me, but the price is almost $800. I spend that kind of money on some more interesting things. In addition, if the price of gold drops a great deal, the value of the set will go along with it.

And when the price of gold goes up a great deal, the value of the set will go up along with it.

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@Goldminers said:
    If the Mint would actually have coins to ship when they sell them, the situation would be a lot different.

I will buy one of each of these including the expensive (per ounce) gold for my commemorative set eventually, but I decided not to order any from the Mint because a 3-month wait should not be encouraged as the appropriate way to sell things. That applies to almost everything.

I would Not be holding my breath hoping for things to change...

Exact quote for Acting Mint Director Gibson:

"As part of our efforts to improve customer satisfaction and reduce program costs, the Mint launched a new pre-order system and began accepting pre-orders for both of the 2021 commemorative coin programs recognizing Christa McAuliffe and the National Law Enforcement Memorial & Museum. The new system extended and equalized the selling periods for both programs. This allowed the Mint to reduce product backorders while also improving our customers’ ordering experience."

The enrollments show a 28 year wait for this set. LOL.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@cagcrisp said:

@Goldminers said:
    If the Mint would actually have coins to ship when they sell them, the situation would be a lot different.

I will buy one of each of these including the expensive (per ounce) gold for my commemorative set eventually, but I decided not to order any from the Mint because a 3-month wait should not be encouraged as the appropriate way to sell things. That applies to almost everything.

I would Not be holding my breath hoping for things to change...

Exact quote for Acting Mint Director Gibson:

"As part of our efforts to improve customer satisfaction and reduce program costs, the Mint launched a new pre-order system and began accepting pre-orders for both of the 2021 commemorative coin programs recognizing Christa McAuliffe and the National Law Enforcement Memorial & Museum. The new system extended and equalized the selling periods for both programs. This allowed the Mint to reduce product backorders while also improving our customers’ ordering experience."

The enrollments show a 28 year wait for this set. LOL.

Maybe the Mint is waiting for the women to be canonized.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@BillJones said:
    The Negro Leagues three piece set intrigues me, but the price is almost $800. I spend that kind of money on some more interesting things. In addition, if the price of gold drops a great deal, the value of the set will go along with it.

And when the price of gold goes up a great deal, the value of the set will go up along with it.

Having been a collector for over 60 years, I have seen many ups and downs with the price of gold. Almost 40 years ago, it reached $850 and eventually dropped to $350. I have seen similar ups and downs through the years.

A $5 gold coin has slightly less the on quarter ounce of gold in it. At $1,850, that would put the melt at $463.50. The mint is charging $674 for this coin. Many U.S. commemorative $5 gold coins are selling for melt. This one might be no different.

Are you starting to understand my point?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hadn’t noticed the gold commemoratives are 90% gold. Thought things changed to.999 but that’s for the silver only.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 12:34PM

I'm sorry...but for the past few years, I've received and responded to lengthy Mint customer survey questionnaires re "What I like" and "What I'd buy"...

So where did the Mint get the idea that a Negro Leagues commemorative SHOULD GET A MONSTER 9 PRODUCT OFFERINGS??? For the love of God, options like that used to be reserved for Olympic games...and rarely even sold out then!

This program should have had, at most, a nice half dollar and a silver dollar...and possibly only a silver dollar. This was overkill plain and simple...a worthy topic of course...but still overkill! Most people are just not throwing around big $$$ like this for modern commems anymore.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@Goldminers said:

@BillJones said:

Having been a collector for over 60 years, I have seen many ups and downs with the price of gold. Almost 40 years ago, it reached $850 and eventually dropped to $350. I have seen similar ups and downs through the years.

A $5 gold coin has slightly less the on quarter ounce of gold in it. At $1,850, that would put the melt at $463.50. The mint is charging $674 for this coin. Many U.S. commemorative $5 gold coins are selling for melt. This one might be no different.

Are you starting to understand my point?

I completely understand your point and it is valid for most modern commemoratives, especially considering the Mint pricing grid has gone way up. For 40 years I have collected a PCGS 70 of each one. Several can now be sold for a few thousand each, and they are not available for sale very often.

Most others will never do well at all. These new ones will have very low mintages, because few people want to buy them now. Maybe in 20 years they will be worth several thousand as well, or maybe they will be worth whatever melt is at the time. I collect them because I like them.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m definitely not a fan of the privy mark either. we already went through that with Alabama, Missouri and Grant commemoratives in the days of old.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fish were biting this morning,

• Options

@kiyote said:
    I’m definitely not a fan of the privy mark either. we already went through that with Alabama, Missouri and Grant commemoratives in the days of old.

Yes, the privy mark is just a gimmick to sell more coins, just like *, 2X4 and 2*2 was on those classic commemoratives. There might be those who will pay a premium for it, but as a collector, I don’t care about it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps one should review the controlling legislation...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/4104/text?r=12&s=1

6 of the 9 SKUs are directly mandated (SHALL in legal wording)

The three coins, and that they are made in proof and uncirculated.

The other three? Purely from the mind of the mint.

Also interesting is the language from the 50SQ program is back...

SEC. 9. MARKETING AND EDUCATIONAL CAMPAIGN.
    The Secretary shall develop and execute a marketing, advertising, promotional, and educational program to promote the collecting of the coins authorized under this subsection.

Has anyone seen anything???

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2022 6:47PM

[The Secretary shall develop and execute a marketing, advertising, promotional, and educational program to promote the collecting of the coins authorized under this subsection.]

Yes...in legalese this means getting one of those boilerplate e-mails from the Mint that asks...checking notes..."Are you interested in buying Negro Leagues coins...?"

Check...done.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fishing again this morning,

• Options

Were they biting?

• Options

Looks like it. “Processing “ with today’s date. I wondered if it was a catch and release 👍🏼

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

I speared my whales. Waiting for them to die so I can pull them in to render down the blubber.

I am testing some new ordering strategies on these coin, very interesting results so far.

• Options

Fishing is slow. The season for ase’s won’t open until April 14. Proof gold age’s March 17. Maybe time to dry dock the boat and clean it up for summer season 😉

• Options

Ice fishing only, up here. He’s had to improvise 🙀

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2022 11:49AM

Jzyskowski1,

Now I will have a new picture in my head every time I hear or read the term "catfishing". :D

I miss my cat very much and just can't bring myself to replace her. RIP Bella

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was sleeping in again till I was awakened by a fisherman getting one.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    I was sleeping in again till I was awakened by a fisherman getting one.

Bummer, it looks like a fish that got away.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭✭

I clipped a salmon on the side of the small windshield of my bass boat I was running around 60 mph at the time. Left a few scales on the windshield. Definitely a wow moment
    Martin

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Martin said:
    Serious question. What is the allure of the privy mark in this case? It’s not like there are very few for the coin it most likely will be the highest mintage of any of the offerings. What am I missing here?

Martin

It has created the illusion of rarity. The fact is that 20,000 coins for a modern coin is not "rare". These are not ASEs or Morgans. If the only coins minted were the 20 000 privy coins, these still wouldn't be worth $90. But when it is the smallest mintage of the set, it creates the illusion of rarity when though most commems struggle to sell more than 30,000 as @cagcrisp summary shows.

People also need to bear in mind that the survival rate for U.S. commemorative coins is much higher than it is for regular issue pieces. The only catch is the modern commemorative gold coins that have been melted, but even that factor has not made much of a difference.

You can't compare "mintage 20,000" for a commemorative coin and a Liberty Seated Dime, for example.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2022 8:15AM

W/E 01/23/2022

2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL GOLD PROOF 1,022 + 64
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL GOLD UNC 822 + 36
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER PROOF 10,927 + 988
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER UNC 5,147 + 429
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL CLAD PROOF 10,916 + 874
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL CLAD UNC 6,282 + 359
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL 3-COIN SET 2,611 + 188
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER DOLLAR AND MEDAL SET 8,531 + 779
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER DOLLAR W/PRIVY MARK 19,996 -

• Options

W/E 01/30/2022

2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL GOLD PROOF 1,064 +42
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL GOLD UNC 854 + 32
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER PROOF 11,723 + 796
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER UNC 5,464 + 317
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL CLAD PROOF 11,599 +683
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL CLAD UNC 6,540 +258
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL 3-COIN SET 2,740 +129
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER DOLLAR AND MEDAL SET 9,043 +512
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER DOLLAR W/PRIVY MARK 19,997 + 1

• Options

Thanks cagcrisp. I appreciate your posting this regularly. I’m doing some research on the mint and the going’s on there. 👍🏼🧐

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Thanks cagcrisp. I appreciate your posting this regularly. I’m doing some research on the mint and the going’s on there. 👍🏼🧐

I've been keeping Mint statistics for Several years...

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

+1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

W/E 02/06/2022...

2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL GOLD PROOF 1,132 +68
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL GOLD UNC 932 +78
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER PROOF 13,131 +1,408
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER UNC 6,019 +555
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL CLAD PROOF 12,802 +1,203
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL CLAD UNC 7,040 +500
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL 3-COIN SET 2,936 +196
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER DOLLAR AND MEDAL SET 10,249 +1,206
    2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER DOLLAR W/PRIVY MARK 19,997 –

• Options
    edited February 8, 2022 4:49PM

Hey the 2- coin set has gone unavailable 👍🏼
    Settin in the doctors office scrolling through the mint website and bingo.

• Options

Well I expected someone would respond. THE 2- COIN IS UNAVAILABLE 😉

• Options

Hello hello is is anyone anyone there there?😂

• Options
    edited February 9, 2022 5:48AM

Wrong thread😂

• Options
    edited February 9, 2022 7:52AM

@Jzyskowski1 said:

That is quite a shocker. According to @cagcrisp , only 10,249 sets of the 15,000 have been sold as of Feb. 6th.

4,751 sets sold in last 3 days?

Stay tuned.

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Sorry, I don’t believe it’s that exciting. I received an email Monday

“ PRODUCT ALERT!
    ONLY AVAILABLE UNTIL FEBRUARY 7TH
    The 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Proof Silver Dollar Coin and Jackie Robinson Silver Medal Set”

Seems like they gave everyone a month to decide and then halted production. If you bought you have a very low mintage set!

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

That is quite a shocker. According to @cagcrisp , only 10,249 sets of the 15,000 have been sold as of Feb. 6th.

4,751 sets sold in last 3 days?

Stay tuned.

The offering did not sell out. The offering was pulled...

• Options
    edited February 9, 2022 10:27AM

There were 142 line items removed yesterday from the United States Mint's production and sales report.

The Mint's doing some house keeping...

• Options

@Orlena said:
    Sorry, I don’t believe it’s that exciting. I received an email Monday

“ PRODUCT ALERT!
    ONLY AVAILABLE UNTIL FEBRUARY 7TH
    The 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Proof Silver Dollar Coin and Jackie Robinson Silver Medal Set”

Seems like they gave everyone a month to decide and then halted production. If you bought you have a very low mintage set!

Glad I snagged one now.

• Options

There has been questionablity as to the legal issues concerning the medal as pertaining to it being offered with the commemorative coin program and the money generated within.

The United States Mint has broad discretion pertaining to issuing medals.
    The United States Mint does Not have broad discretion pertaining to commemorative coin programs that are legislated by Congress and signed by the President. There is No mention of a Jackie Robinson medal in the Negro Leagues Baseball commemorative coin program.

The design for the Jackie Robinson Silver medal is the same as what was authorized by law in 2003.
    There Should be no legal question as to whether the United States Mint could introduce a Jackie Robinson Silver medal. That is not in dispute.

The question is whether or not the proceeds from the $135.00 offering should go to the profitability or non profitability of a commemorative coin program that it was Not authorized to be a part of.

The United States Mint issued a statement on February 7 saying “This Special Set is Unavailable to Purchase After Today”

Currently there is a Remind Me button on the offering and Not a Sold Out button.

IF you are Serious about “This Special Set is Unavailable to Purchase After Today” then you need to move it to the Sold Out column and take away the Remind Me button…

• Options

I believe they are referring to the discount price that they do and then raise the price 1 month later

• Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

You would think that they could continue sales on this set if it was only an issue of where the proceeds would be directed. I'm wondering if they can legally distribute these sets at all.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2022 7:14PM

I believe they can but they have plenty of time to figure it out , shipping doesn’t start until April 27 😉

• Options

Wasn’t the price supposed to go up today. I didn’t notice.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Wasn’t the price supposed to go up today. I didn’t notice.

Prices went up February 7.

Not all items had a price increase…

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2022 8:26AM

I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the Two Coin Set...

Edit to add, Thanks again to @cagcrisp for the sales info...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Just curious- there’s a website Vanenons selling the privy coin, available now, for something like $19.98. They claim Philadelphia mint, use all US Mint photos and verbiage, etc. obviously has to be counterfeit, how do they get away with this?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

People get away with crime all the time

Turn them in.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file