Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***The Official 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coin Program Thread***…On sale Jan. 6th!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 6, 2022 9:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Some nice designs here. The silver $1 commemorative obverse will be a winner IMO.

What say you?

Gold $5

From Britannica.com............Rube Foster, byname of Andrew Foster, (born September 17, 1879, Calvert, Texas, U.S.—died December 9, 1930, Kankakee, Illinois), American baseball player who gained fame as a pitcher, manager, and owner and as the “father of Black baseball” after founding in 1920 the Negro National League (NNL), the first successful professional league for African American ballplayers.

Silver $1

Clad $.50

https://www.usmint.gov/news/image-library/commemoratives#2022nlb

Comments

• Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

That silver dollar is amazing, it captures the feeling of the sport

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will certainly be getting them for my "baseball" themed collection.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2021 10:40PM

Often when there isn't a lot of chatter, there is more interest than one would guess. The proof silver dollar with the Jackie Robinson proof silver medal, as well as all other proofs may take the shine off the unc. The unc sales might suffer due to all the proofs offered. Thinking I read not more than 400,000 silvers according to law. Just my opinion.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very nice, as drawings.... I do wonder how they will appear on the coins. Will be watching for these. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the silver dollar design! Although I wish there was a team insignia on the obverse cap (like the reverse) - maybe an "H" for the Homestead Grays. I went to the Negro Leagues HOF a few years ago when I was doing some work in KC. Expected to spend a couple hours and ended up spending the better part of a day - well worth the visit!

• Options
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bus should be dropped from the half dollar. It detracts from the design.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like these in inverse to the values, with the half dollar the very nicest, then the dollar, and then the gold piece (with all due respects to Mr. Foster). And the obverse design of the half is quite appropriate IMHO in that it blends the action and high level of play in that league with the reality of what was faced OUTSIDE the playing field and the hazards of road travel for black or African-American and Hispanic players of that time. The bus is a subtle hint of that clearly, an aspect that well ought to send shivers down the spine of empathetic viewers of the coin.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I really like these in inverse to the values, with the half dollar the very nicest, then the dollar, and then the gold piece (with all due respects to Mr. Foster). And the obverse design of the half is quite appropriate IMHO in that it blends the action and high level of play in that league with the reality of what was faced OUTSIDE the playing field and the hazards of road travel for black or African-American and Hispanic players of that time. The bus is a subtle hint of that clearly, an aspect that well ought to send shivers down the spine of empathetic viewers of the coin.

Bus travel was common during that time period. For minor league teams it remains common today.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    FlipsFlips Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Did any body else catch that the mint is starting the year with the pre sale game again...

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overall I like the designs and am excited about these!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2021 12:43PM

@Flips said:
    Did any body else catch that the mint is starting the year with the pre sale game again...

Flips!!’ Thanks. Why those dirty ,no good , low life, @&$#%+*!! I knew it. I and others said “. There going to repeat this disrespectful behavior because they can. No respect for the customer. Tie up your CC for over 4 months again. Backorder 🤨. I really don’t like any business that jerks their customers around. 🙀
    Sure was fun waiting 5 months last summer. 😞 Just to have terrible quality problems, way increased prices, and junk packaging.
    I’m not going for the new Morgan’s or peace dollar. Ase’s, I’m over them.
    Looks good for my new album collection of dimes. I’ll pick up a certified Purple Heart and the Baseball dollar later. Good luck everyone 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also think the drawings are great but don’t know how they will look on a coin. Maybe a large high relief medal could capture the detail.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

With that kind of artistic detail, can't it be in high relief? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh, not just bus travel as in equal for all - perhaps not quite the same greeting parties for Negro league players.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the half dollar the best.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2022 5:24AM

Look at all these MINT offerings on January 6th. Some very interesting combos, not to mention a silver dollar with privy mark.
    HL = 1

$74.

Item Number: 22CS
    Mintage Limit: 400,000 (across all options)
    Product Limit: 20,000
    Household Order Limit: 1

https://catalog.usmint.gov/product-schedule/2022/?_ga=2.78382356.1803142966.1641211565-238337487.1641211565

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

No thanks.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I'm all commemoratived out.

• Options

U.S. Coin News.

These series of coins have been anticipated by collectors so demand is expected to be high for all of the products. Given the affordability of the silver Dollar and clad Half Dollar coins, those likely will be the first to sell out. Readers are strongly encouraged to be on the Mint’s website at Noon Eastern on January 6th at attempt to buy any of these coins and sets for their collections.

https://uscoinnews.com/2022/01/03/2022-negro-leagues-baseball-commemorative-coins-sales-start-january-6th/

• Options

One man's opinion.

42 reason! why the 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball coins & medal will be a BIG miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO3wnu_nboE
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan. Of the U.S. Mint.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2022 3:13PM

Mint PR Jan 3, 2022

United States Mint Accepting Orders for Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coin Program on January 6

WASHINGTON – The United States Mint (Mint) will open sales for the 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coin Program on January 6 at noon EST. This program commemorates the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Negro National League, a professional baseball league formed in response to African American players being banned from baseball’s major leagues. Public Law 116-209 directs the United States Mint (Mint) to produce $5 gold coins, $1 silver coins, and half dollar clad coins as part of the program.

The Jackie Robinson silver medal carries the same design as the Jackie Robinson Congressional Gold Medal produced by the Mint in 2003 in accordance with Public Law 108-101, which honored Robinson as a baseball great, civil rights leader, and political activist. The Coin and Medal Set will be limited to 15,000 units, and will be available to order during a 30-day window.

The Silver Dollar with Privy Mark features a privy mark on the obverse of the coin, commemorating the 100th anniversary of Negro Leagues Baseball in 2020. This product will be limited to 20,000 units, and will be available to order during a 30-day window.

“Just as this game connects families and communities, every day, across the Nation, the Mint connects Americans through coins,” said United States Mint Deputy Director Ventris C. Gibson. “It is now our great privilege to connect America to the extraordinary legacy of Negro Leagues Baseball.”

The Mint set pricing for the gold product options according to its Pricing of Numismatic Gold, Commemorative Gold, and Platinum Products table, available here. Introductory sales prices are in effect until February 7, 2022, at 3 P.M. EST, after which regular pricing will take effect. The household order limits are in effect for 24 hours.

Surcharges in the amount of $35 for each $5 gold coin sold; $10 for each silver dollar sold; and $5 for each half dollar sold, are authorized to be paid to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum to aid in its mission to promote tolerance, diversity, and inclusion.

“The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is thrilled to partner with the United States Mint on the release of these historic coins that beautifully captures the ‘winning spirit’ of the Negro Leagues,” said Bob Kendrick, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum President. “We hope that collectors and baseball fans alike will purchase these coins and support the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum efforts to ensure that the legacy and important life lessons of the Negro Leagues plays on,” Kendrick said.

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/united-states-mint-accepting-orders-for-negro-leagues-baseball-commemorative-coin-program-on-january-6

Finally got some renderings, only the gold Proof and Unc are posted at this point.

Not a fan of the font used on the reverse. Really poor choice IMHO.

• Options

Just posted the silver and clad issues on the Mint Website this evening.

Silver Proof Obverse

Silver Proof Obverse Privy Mark:

Silver Proof Reverse

Clad proof obverse

Clad Proof Reverse

• Options
    edited January 3, 2022 6:41PM

Well the mint is going to put the proofs in garbage packaging and the privy in a clamshell. $11 extra

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    One man's opinion.

42 reason! why the 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball coins & medal will be a BIG miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO3wnu_nboE

Yeah...I believe this guy is wrong. This limited edition silver proof will sell out in my opinion

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

$74.00! No way. Hard pass.

• Options

$85 for the privy 👍🏼

• Options

So the $5 gold , all half dollar and dollar and the 3-coin are in the fuzzy junk packaging.
    The privy dollar, the 2-coin (JR medal) are in clamshells 🤨

• Options

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to keep my top ranked registry set going so I’m in for the half dollar! I really like the silver dollar design

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Those are very nice, as drawings.... I do wonder how they will appear on the coins. Will be watching for these. Cheers, RickO

You nailed it. The designers in days of old were sculptures, most designs now seem like 2d sketches fed into a CAD program that tries to simulate a coin. The Five star generals silver dollar is a great example of this

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

No interest at the prices offered.

A lot of other coins for those prices I would rather have.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

Gold pricing set.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2022 3:53PM

As these go on sale did anyone else notice how much these idiots are asking for the colorized Purple Heart? $95😳😂😳😂🙀😂
    And and a😂n😂d😂 the shipping date is like these TBA
    These guys crack me up 😂😂😂😂😂
    All of its coming with a warning about keeping your CC current so they can charge it😂T😂B😂A😂
    I can’t stand it. One time last year and now it’s mint policy. Help me 😂

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not much into commemorative coins (like the 2021 Morgan...LOL) but I like these.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going ALL IN

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    I’m going ALL IN

My guess is you won’t have any problems getting all you want. I do hope that they work out for you. I shall watch from the sidelines and cheer you on 😉
    One never knows which one will be special.

• Options

Ah. Shipping date just announced. 4-27-2022. 4&1/2 months. Gosh

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    Gold pricing set.

And gold drops $36/oz. this morning :/

• Options

The proof $5 and the uncirculated $5 are priced $10 apart. $674 & $664. Interesting 🤨

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine a quick sell out.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully,
    Is this the 'Official' thread?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

The law enforcement gold uncirculated commemorative only sold 1,754 coins. The proof sold 5,871.

While I do like this design more than the law coins, 50,000 is a lot of commemorative gold to sell, and there are just not that many commemorative gold collectors. I do not see the gold selling out at all, and don't see much after market pricing upside for them either.

The 4-month delay is also a downer. I don't see any need to rush into these gold ones and they will be cheaper next week if gold stays down like today. I will probably just buy a 70 first strike from the early delivery to the dealers if that is how it ends up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file