Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***The Official 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coin Program Thread***…On sale Jan. 6th!

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@djm said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Of course it was easy. These will probably never sell out. It'll be even easier to buy them next month.

No, Next month the price goes up $5 per coin.

I said easier, not cheaper. And if gold keeps dropping, that one might be cheaper also.

It just seemed that people were surprised there wasn't a long line to check out.

After last year I have a very good idea why. The mint didn’t do itself any favors last year.😉

It has nothing to do with last year. This type of issue is never that hot. Most commems that come with 400,000 mintage limits have very limited appeal. There is no secondary market. No one has probably issued a bid on them. So you don't have any flippers involved.

JM. The question was about why they were surprised. My answer is spot on. One of several reasons. Last year was the topic. You have additional comments but don’t slam my opinion. I respect your knowledge but don’t appreciate your gruffness.

I think I misinterpreted what you were saying. I thought you were suggesting that last year's issues kept people away this year.

But I didn't mean to "slam" your opinion. I just more fully explained mine. 400k commems don't sell out and don't have a secondary market so there's no mad rush to buy them.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Off the top of my head the only commem that I recall selling out, at least quickly, was the buffalo dollar years ago.

The Lincoln dollars might have sold out, as well.

Yes. Unfortunately, these are headed for a huge price drop in coming years. It's really too bad as it is a nice issue.

This is one where the gold coin almost seems like the best deal. It won't lose 50% of its value because there's the bullion value underlying it. The silver ones could drop to $25 and who knows where the bottom is for the clad ones.

This is one of those issues that probably hurts the Mint far more than the chaos of a "limited edition" release. When someone goes to sell one of these in 2 or 3 years and gets offered 40% of what they paid for it, they may never buy Mint products again.

In my ever humble opinion, of course.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had no trouble getting a single uncirculated half dollar

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

As with US Mint issues for the last several years, I just do not find the art work of the issues very inspiring. I do think these issues are a more interesting design, but still clip art (as mentioned by a previous poster) and not interesting enough for me to pay the high price. Not totally sure yet... but I will likely pass.

----- kj
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 2:18PM

Out of every modern commemorative proof I believe the 2017 Boy's Town had the lowest mintage of approximately 31,600 counting the 3-coin proof set. Even the recent Christa and Law sold more than that.

This 2022 baseball silver dollar with the privy 100 diamond shape proof had a product limit of 20,000 which is lower, and as far as I can tell is not available in any other set, so the 400k mintage limit is irrelevant to it. That is why I am surprised under 10k sold at this stage? Of course, there is a lot of year left, but I think it did poorly on the first day, even for a commemorative, and it might have been able to sell out today, if there was not a HHL of 1. Maybe Alison needed to sign a few random certificates to give it more appeal >:)

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Out of every modern commemorative proof I believe the 2017 Boy's Town had the lowest mintage of approximately 31,600 counting the 3-coin proof set. Even the recent Christa and Law sold more than that.

This 2022 baseball silver dollar with the privy 100 diamond shape proof had a product limit of 20,000 which is lower, and as far as I can tell is not available in any other set, so the 400k mintage limit is irrelevant to it. That is why I am surprised under 10k sold at this stage? Of course, there is a lot of year left, but I think it did poorly on the first day, even for a commemorative, and it might have been able to sell out today, if there was not a HHL of 1. Maybe Alison needed to sign a few random certificates to give it more appeal >:)

In at $85, how much upside is there?

It isn't clear to me that collectors have embraced privy marks in general.

Once they list the HHL, we'll see if the bulk buyers want to do anything with them.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is pretty cool that at this point you could make a pretty neat set of baseball themed coins from the US mint. I am getting a wee bit of baseball fatigue though. And thankfully we don’t have to pay $4000 for the Jackie UNC gold anymore.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    I had no trouble getting a single uncirculated half dollar

For some issues the clad half is my favorite, especially the unc. The clad has a nice look to it on the baseball HOF, for example.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 2:40PM

Not for nothing...but why so much baseball?

Has there ever been a football (now the country's most popular sport) commem?

There have been several noteworthy football events and people.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Out of every modern commemorative proof I believe the 2017 Boy's Town had the lowest mintage of approximately 31,600 counting the 3-coin proof set. Even the recent Christa and Law sold more than that."

Perhaps for the proof versions. The lowest mintage total is for the 2017 Boys town Unc at 12,234. Who knows... maybe the 2022 privy marked proof will be a winner... but as mentioned, at the price point, how much do you think the secondary market is going to pay for it??

The US Mint has done a pretty good job of making sure most of the 'meat' (profit potential) has been taken, before offering the bones to the public.

----- kj
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 8:09PM

Am I the only person who thinks that campaigns like this would be better served by a reasonably priced, widely available sheet of stamps?

I'm sorry, but spending several hundred dollars for most commemoratives is no longer rational. For that kind of $$$, a coin (or coins) need to be extraordinary (or classic designs like Walkers, Morgans or Peace dollars).

Plus...you can't float multiple commemorative issues like this every year and expect them to sell out.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 8:09PM

There isn’t an expectation for a sell out

And there’s only 2 commems per year

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

I’m always eager for the new commemorative coins to come out and then I wait until the end of the year to buy 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

Two commemorative programs.

So, were the 2001 Morgans and Peace dollars commems or just part of the original series. :*:D

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 8:19PM

I'll get the silver ones...I like the design and the topic.

K

ANA LM
  • Options

@JBK said:

@MsMorrisine said:

So, were the 2001 Morgans and Peace dollars commems or just part of the original series. :*:D

They weren't classified as official commemoratives, were they? We had this discussion before. The only official commemoratives last year were the Christy MacAuliffe and the Law Enforcement coins.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@MsMorrisine said:

They weren't classified as official commemoratives, were they? We had this discussion before. The only official commemoratives last year were the Christy MacAuliffe and the Law Enforcement coins.

Exactly. (Or not, depending on someone's opinion).

• Options

@RichR said:
    Am I the only person who thinks that campaigns like this would be better served by a reasonably priced, widely available sheet of stamps?

I'm sorry, but spending several hundred dollars for most commemoratives is no longer rational. For that kind of $$$, a coin (or coins) need to be extraordinary (or classic designs like Walkers, Morgans or Peace dollars).

Plus...you can't float multiple commemorative issues like this every year and expect them to sell out.

There are far more commemorative stamps every year. They only do 2 coin commems every year. If not this, then what?

• Options

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Exactly. (Or not, depending on someone's opinion).

Well, it's more a legal classification than just an opinion.

• Options
    taciturntaciturn Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 10:05PM

@tincup said:
    "Out of every modern commemorative proof I believe the 2017 Boy's Town had the lowest mintage of approximately 31,600 counting the 3-coin proof set. Even the recent Christa and Law sold more than that."

Perhaps for the proof versions. The lowest mintage total is for the 2017 Boys town Unc at 12,234. Who knows... maybe the 2022 privy marked proof will be a winner... but as mentioned, at the price point, how much do you think the secondary market is going to pay for it??

The US Mint has done a pretty good job of making sure most of the 'meat' (profit potential) has been taken, before offering the bones to the public.

National Law has lowest now for all Unc modern comm. $1 Silver Unc 9,426 sold from last sale report (first below 10k). Gold Unc only 1,754 sold. Maybe because of many coin releases in 2021 (eagles I + II, Morgan, Peace,...) demand for commemorative coin was exceptional low, but design is also not appealing. ^^

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

10,913 of the Privy dollars left as of 5:20 AM this morning. That means they sold a little under half of the available yesterday. Unless the big buyers swoop in and grab the remaining ones when HHLs are lifted, this one is going nowhere...

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2022 6:42AM

I wonder if they will lift the HHL. Last year they experimented with HHL and wound up leaving it at one for several issues. I don’t think they will remove it but we shall see later today.
    Also 50% sold is pretty good. The 20,000 and under product limits should be unavailable in a couple days
    That’s very good for a commemorative

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Dirt94Dirt94 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    I wonder if they will lift the HHL. Last year they experimented with HHL and wound up leaving it at one for several issues. I don’t think they will remove it but we shall see later today.
    Also 50% sold is pretty good. The 20,000 and under product limits should be unavailable in a couple days

I believe they removed the HHL of one for everything last year. They just ended up putting them back on later in the year for some issues but they were gone originally.

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 7:21AM

That sounds about right. Remember the 99 on some issues, quickly went down. With the way they immediately adopted the backorder/ months long delivery date. I don’t expect them to miss any tricks
    Edit. Pre-sale not backorder.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Only 10k sold the first day, is miserable. My guess is, that everybody who wanted one got one. Unless the "speculators" decide this may be a sleeper and gobble up a big chunk, it's still DOA.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    I wonder if they will lift the HHL.

>
    The HHL will be lifted at 12:00 ET...

• Options

@mbogoman said:
    10,913 of the Privy dollars left as of 5:20 AM this morning. That means they sold a little under half of the available yesterday.

You are making the assumption that the Mint started with 20,000.
    They did not..

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

They generally don't sell 10,000 per day. Early birds jump in on the first day. 2nd day sales could well be under 1000 (unless three bulk buyers come in and have plans when the HHL is lifted)

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@mbogoman said:
    10,913 of the Privy dollars left as of 5:20 AM this morning. That means they sold a little under half of the available yesterday.

You are making the assumption that the Mint started with 20,000.
    They did not..

Do you know the number? Just curious.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Lets see the proposed maximum mintage numbers, less is more IMHO.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

@RickR

The sheer number of different designs, finishes, and privy marks makes it outrageously expensive to buy from the US-Mint. I think they want to saturate the markets to hurt the flippers. But flippers gonna flip flip flip. Meanwhile the regular collector has buyers fatigue, particularly if they attempt ordering directly from the US Mint.

The problem is these new issues undermine the whole concept of collecting. Everything is scarce, Everything is relatively rare, yet nothing is in demand, nothing is scarce, nothing is rare. Price goes down over time until there is very little premium for collectors or dealers.

@RichR said:
    [I imagine a quick sell out.]

I'd be shocked if these sell out...EVER! At 50,000 for the gold options and 400,000 for the silver, I'm just not seeing that kind of demand anymore for commemorative issues...especially at elevated issue prices for gold and silver.

But what do I know?

I'd be more willing to guess that these will have very low/disappointing initial sales when all is said and done...with many remaining at the end of the year.

Personally, with so many issues each year, I'm keeping my powder dry for the more compelling issues to come later in the year.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2022 9:33AM

I like the designs. I love baseball oriented coins, but dont we now have to honor the other leagues too? Its a big world out there with lots of leagues. Eg., the Pacific Coast League which gave us Joe Dimagio, Casey Stengel, and Billy Martin.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2022 10:04AM

@mbogoman said:
    10,913 of the Privy dollars left as of 5:20 AM this morning. That means they sold a little under half of the available yesterday. Unless the big buyers swoop in and grab the remaining ones when HHLs are lifted, this one is going nowhere...

My browser says 10979

Picked up 4 more for a total of five.

Order #12459xxx

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

Household limit is off. Buy away!

• Options
    goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    I wonder if they will lift the HHL.

>
    The HHL will be lifted at 12:00 ET...

Yep you were right 👍

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 10:22AM

For fun I’ll give the privy $ until tomorrow evening to go unavailable. Just a feeling about this one. Of any this has the best chance of being a winner. Silver with a low product amount. Maybe. And I feel like this privy mark is less problematic than the CC and O Morgan’s being it’s not a replacement for something original. It’s not a bad design.
    I just realized that my opinions are focused on different aspects of these , different perspective not worrying about it from a buyer’s perspective 😉

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@mbogoman said:

My browser says 10979

Picked up 4 more for a total of five.

Order #12459xxx

Oh, just a few cancellations

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 10:45AM

@rooksmith said:
    I like the designs. I love baseball oriented coins, but dont we now have to honor the other leagues too? Its a big world out there with lots of leagues. Eg., the Pacific Coast League which gave us Joe Dimagio, Casey Stengel, and Billy Martin.

The Negro leagues are in no way comparable to a random minor league. They are commemorating more than baseball.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@rooksmith said:

The Negro leagues are in no way comparable to a random minute league. They are commemorating more than baseball.

Thank you JM. I was thinking of a way to comment and remain tasteful and you have done so nicely 👍🏼

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 11:12AM

After the HHL was lifted the Big Boys got Active.

There were a Total of 10,863 2022 Negro League Baseball Proof Silver Dollar Sold in 3 hours before going Dark.

A little over 1,500 were Sold in the last15 minutes…

• Options

I’ve posted before that between 35%-45% of every numismatic coin Sold goes to the Big Boys…

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

Privy now unavailable.

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

I think the non-privy will be the lower sales figure when the program ends...so if you are looking for a low mintage, the non-privy will be the way to go.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@rooksmith said:

The Negro leagues are in no way comparable to a random minor league. They are commemorating more than baseball.

Agree, and furthermore, I recall hearing that last year MLB elevated the Negro Leagues to full major league status, up there with the AL and NL.

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 1:24PM

Well I guess I was 22 hours or so early. I figured with Saturday shoppers that might do it.

@Schmitz7 said:
    I think the non-privy will be the lower sales figure when the program ends...so if you are looking for a low mintage, the non-privy will be the way to go.

20,000 product limit on privy. That’s your Winner, maybe.

• Options

Here’s the basketball mintages
    Gold pf. 8070
    Gold unc. 3261
    Silver $ pf. 68,756
    Silver $ unc. 21,317
    Clad half $. pf. 26,572
    Clad half $ unc. 13,635
    Kids enhanced uncirculated (one off)
    half dollar 22,528.
    Silver $ colorized 25,719
    Clad half $ colorized 32,581

These are curved coins and the first ever colorized US Mint coins.
    Lot of stuff and for now, a lead balloon.
    Just posting as a little comparison. As with everything we shall see.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@Schmitz7 said:

I think you will be right.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin World PR: "Sales of Negro Leagues Baseball coins start without a hitch"

Sales of the 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball commemorative coins began Jan. 6 at the U.S. Mint, with few if any problems reported by Mint customers.

None of the three limited-edition products reached the “No Longer Available” status during the first hours of the sales, as has happened to some previous product launches.

The limited-edition products are the three-coin Proof set, the Proof silver dollar and Jackie Robinson silver medal set, and the privy-marked Proof 2022-P Negro Leagues Baseball silver dollar.

Introductory pre-sale prices were scheduled to run through 3 p.m. Eastern Time Feb. 7, after which higher regular issue prices would be imposed on remaining product. Household order limits, in effect for the first 24 hours of sales, would afterwards be removed.

More in link........ https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/sales-of-negro-leagues-baseball-coins-start-without-a-hitch

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file