Home U.S. Coin Forum

***The Official 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coin Program Thread***…On sale Jan. 6th!

Comments

• CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

The Mint is not in the business of losing money.

People have weird expectations for the mint vs. other business entities.

I've been told that tin foil is good for preventing tarnish on coins.

@Goldbully said:
    Now that the Privy silver $1 has been available for over 4 hours, I believe the Mint is creating demand for the series by hyping the privy coin. Was there any reason for the Mint to shut down sales of the coin yesterday? Did they really fill all those coin orders available. In the past, once a coin became 'unavailable,' there were only a few fleeting moments that you could snag a few the next day or so. This is quite unusual for the Mint in what I can see. Anyone else have a theory?

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I thought I was helping. You said they were dirty “. It’s ok you can just return them, no ?”🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2022 5:31AM

Privy open for sales at 7:30am.

edited to add: Closed in at 7:31am.

edited January 11, 2022 5:33AM

Closed about a nanosecond later. What is the point. I swear they mess with us 🙀

• MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Got the one in my cart, my son will dig it. Night all, enjoy your day!

• OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Closed about a nanosecond later. What is the point. I swear they mess with us 🙀

I got one so they were actually for sale. FYI

Congratulations. I timed it this morning. In my time zone (mtn) on my iPhone , 15seconds. I absolutely understand that you got one. This has come up before. Seems like a different amount of time but there has to be some explanation. I’m not buying these but have more than a passing interest in the mint.
    I do know my old hands never could have entered the info and paid in 15seconds. I maybe could have as our forum member Metal did and move one from cart to check out.
    Again, cool beans that you got one. 😉

• FlipsFlips Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

2022 NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL SILVER DOLLAR W/PRIVY MARK 19,992 1/9/2022

• JeffMJeffM Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Silly old me thought this was a hobby. I didn't realize it was a game. :D

It's only a hobby for those lucky enough to snag a coin they like. For most others (flippers) it's a business where they buy as many as they can to make a buck while trying to force collectors to buy only from them.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll stick to my initial post. A likely " sell-out". Think deep. No thanks. Not since the Kennedy fiasco , have I been interested in those "sellouts".

HE>I

@jmlanzaf said:

@Type2 said:
    Speaking of presale is this going to be the norm now. So they can send the 10% to the dealers first then give out the rejects to the reg customer after they come back not 70’s? This is one more reason I’ll set back and see how this plays out.

You might want to do the math on that.

I think you're missing his point, as a collector.

HE>I

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2022 10:54AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@rooksmith said:
    I like the designs. I love baseball oriented coins, but dont we now have to honor the other leagues too? Its a big world out there with lots of leagues. Eg., the Pacific Coast League which gave us Joe Dimagio, Casey Stengel, and Billy Martin.

The Negro leagues are in no way comparable to a random minor league. They are commemorating more than baseball.

Although the Pacific Coast League was not a major league, it was far from just a "random minor league". In additon to Joe Dimagio, Casey Stengel, Billy Martin add: Willy McCovey and Ted Williams played for PCL.

My point is there other recognized MAJOR Leagues (besides the National and American league) not including the Negro Leagues:

_ In 1969, the Special Baseball Records Committee of Major League Baseball officially recognized six major leagues: the National League, American League, American Association, Union Association (1884), Players' League (1890), and Federal League (1914–1915) _ source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball#Other_recognized_leagues

The Negro Leagues were upgraded to a "recognized major league" recently, but don't forget there were other minor leagues with comparable talent that are not being recognized, and deserve some credit, in my opinion. Nothing against the Negro League, but there were other minor leagues at that time. The key takeaway was that due to racist policies of the National League, elite black players were excluded from playing in the Major Leagues. The PCL was integrated (or had non-white players) as early as 1910 https://www.ebbets.com/blogs/news-and-history/integration-of-the-pcl

_ In December 2020, Major League Baseball announced its recognition of seven leagues within Negro league baseball as major leagues,[73] and in 2021, baseball reference website Baseball-Reference.com began to include statistics from those seven leagues into their major-league statistics.[74] _

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand but this one is just not for me. I don’t like it, It may be a big hit just not for me it’s a pass in my book for me.

I really collect what I like just in case I do get stuck with some I like them, just Playing the Game.

Hoard the keys.
  • djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did anybody else get their order cancelled?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

mine are fine.

call in to see what they say.

what'd you lose?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    edited January 11, 2022 10:42AM

Was this a first day order ? If not when did you order?> @djm said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

It was the second day after the HHL came off.

That’s wierd. Call em. It’s been easier lately to get through. Let us know. Sorry. You should be able to get one here. 🤨

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    That’s wierd. Call em. It’s been easier lately to get through. Let us know. Sorry. You should be able to get one here. 🤨

Called them the customer service rep said a lot of these coins had been cancelled. A supervisor is supposed to call me back and let me know why.

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2022 1:37PM

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish you luck hopefully they will help you and get you one.🤞🏼

Hoard the keys.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do we have the opening day sales numbers on these coins?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

very popular privy

• Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Lower first week sales than Boy’s Town excluding the sets. Ouch.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Type2 said:
    Speaking of presale is this going to be the norm now. So they can send the 10% to the dealers first then give out the rejects to the reg customer after they come back not 70’s? This is one more reason I’ll set back and see how this plays out.

Not at all. Selling 10% ahead of time can't possibly change the odds of getting a 70. Especially since the advance sales can't even be returned. As a result, you do not have picked over inventory that has been skimmed for 70s.

@jmlanzaf said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Type2 said:

Not at all. Selling 10% ahead of time can't possibly change the odds of getting a 70. Especially since the advance sales can't even be returned. As a result, you do not have picked over inventory that has been skimmed for 70s.

Perhaps so, but "that" game of pre-sales; when the cookies aren't even out of the oven yet, tends to skew true market value as pricing goes. The chase is on and collectors often ( in haste) pay the highest price for acquisition. This often sours collectors when after a year or so they see a drop. ( more often). Take any issue.

HE>I

• MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

So, according to those sales numbers on the 10th, there were only 8 coins that weren't on an order?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Type2 said:

Perhaps so, but "that" game of pre-sales; when the cookies aren't even out of the oven yet, tends to skew true market value as pricing goes. The chase is on and collectors often ( in haste) pay the highest price for acquisition. This often sours collectors when after a year or so they see a drop. ( more often). Take any issue.

I agree with that. But that's not what I was responding to.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Privy open for a little over a minute today.

With 8 available I imagine it was a short time 😉

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only guarantee you may get orders is if you got them on first day HHL was removed. The mint has to have oversold these by about 2k at this point.

edited January 12, 2022 6:08AM

The forum member who received the letter ordered on the second day.
    First day HHL was lifted. 😉

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    The forum member who received the letter ordered on the second day.
    First day HHL was lifted. 😉

What letter?? 🤔

@Jzyskowski1 said:

This one 😉

@jessewvu said:
    Only guarantee you may get orders is if you got them on first day HHL was removed. The mint has to have oversold these by about 2k at this point.

What makes you think they are oversold by 2k. The sales report doesn't reflect that.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do predict that it will become available again at some point when cancelled orders hit.

• rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    With 8 available I imagine it was a short time 😉

There were 120 available this morning. With no HHL, they only lasted a minute.
    That will probably be the scenario for the next few weeks.

This issue has worked out well for those who wanted one and didn't wait too long. There were no issues buying one on Day 1 or even Day 2. If you waited until it became unavailable, you have to play the early morning game.

@JeffM said:
    This issue has worked out well for those who wanted one and didn't wait too long. There were no issues buying one on Day 1 or even Day 2. If you waited until it became unavailable, you have to play the early morning game.

Even on day 3 they were available for hours. You could have bought hundreds if you wanted.

@OLC said:

@jessewvu said:

What makes you think they are oversold by 2k. The sales report doesn't reflect that.

Rough guess based on my own orders, number of orders around when I ordered, and other speculative conjecture.

Also, I got 10 today so that doesn’t make any sense.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2022 11:47AM

With the pre order the Mint has more time to review orders. They can cancel your order for any reason. If they don't like how many you have ordered, or cancelled or returned in the past and especially if they do not like what you post on this forum. >:) As orders are canceled they are put back on sale again.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

I sure hope my endless whining about them doesn’t count. Returns, they pretty much discourage those with their lousy dang service 😂🙀
    Whoops, I did it again 🤨

We may never know the crazy inner workings of the Mint. I had the same issues with the Royal Mint in Great Britain. Although their ordering system with the queues (when necessary) is more civil, I have had an order cancelled for no apparent reason. Also, I ordered a coin in the first half hour it went on sale. The coin did not sell out until the end of the day. Yet, my order was pushed to the bottom of the list (probably because it's international), and buyers in Great Britain got their coins way before mine was even shipped (by about 3 months). I had fears that the order would be canceled so I canceled it myself and ordered the coin from a dealer. You just can't be certain ordering from any mint.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2022 12:10PM

We hired a temporary employee to set up model templets for building houses from the bottom up. She could type a mile a minute and everyone commented on how fast she was. After she left we discovered she was just typing garbage and nothing she did was usable. We referred to that week as when "Hurricane Enid" blew thru. Also saw an outside IT person click on our main database file and accidently hit Delete. I watched in slow motion horror. We had a backup of the day before but as it was mid day we lost all of the days activity. Based on some of the postings of interactions with some of the mint reps, I believe anything is possible. Remember that "box of chocolates" thing.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2022 1:10PM

@ECHOES said:
    I'm at a loss to understand why the Cion & Medal set is still available.

$135.00 dollars per set might have something to do with it.

FYI...7,694 Still available

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    edited January 12, 2022 1:13PM

Why didn’t they put the privy in the set?
    If I was buying these I would buy a privy and pop it in the set My 2 pennies 🤨

@jessewvu said:

@OLC said:

@jessewvu said:

Rough guess based on my own orders, number of orders around when I ordered, and other speculative conjecture.

Also, I got 10 today so that doesn’t make any sense.

I makes sense if people are canceling their orders.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file