Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Flight cancelations and FUN

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

delta just lowered their employee isolation to 5 days which is in line with their request to (cdc?)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@davewesen said:
    sadly the ANA's intermediate grading course got cancelled today.

it seems to be related to PCGS not going as one of the instructors was going to bring some of PCGS grading set.

Most of my reservations seem not cancellable, so I will just fill my time going to SeaWorld a couple days. My airline (Delta) has been having some delays. It is possible that more airline employees will be taking mandatory recovery days after a positive test after the Christmas / New Years rush.

taking an extra N95 not attractive?

anyway, you may enjoy https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

More stats, not from CNN (LOL), but directly from flight aware:

Total cancellations within, into, or out of the United States today: 1,372

34 flights into MCO cancelled, 39 out, if one had a connection to a hub first, then chances are that this is magnified for those headed to Orlando, and of course, with:

Total delays within, into, or out of the United States today: 7,287 (166 into MCO, 168 out)

ones flight could also be delayed enough to miss a connection, right when flights are full so that also magnifies the misery if one misses a connection because the next flight to MCO may not have a seat (Disney is open, Magic Around Every Corner)....

Stats, who needs them anyway? And who wants to really believe CNN (quoting above posts) that going into next week might be worse. Rumors I guess, but FUN might be difficult to get to via air with the Omi surge coming.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 6:42AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@CoinHoarder said:
    ColonelJessup has been banned.

jmlanzaf probably complained about being verbally assaulted by the Colonel. :o

Nope. I didn't take anything he said as being even close to a verbal insult much less an assault.

Any other brilliant deductions?

Rick and I have been getting along fine lately. In fact, he actually compliments me in his last post.

I was referring to the virtual knee to the groin he spoke of.

That wasn't aimed at me.

Oh, I think it was Scooter. He quoted you before his response. Read it again if it’s not too uncomfortable for you. Your argumentative demeanor has cost us another popular forum member. You seem to have a knack for that.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well their tone has changed a little bit…the big “NO” is out.

“ The Orange County Convention Center (OCCC) has not changed their COVID requirements for convention attendees. As per the FUN Board decision in September we will follow the protocols established by the State of Florida and the OCCC in the case of a conflict the State of Florida rules will take precedent. The OCCC has established that the organizers of all conventions in the OCCC can establish the Covid guidelines within their leased convention area. We do not plan to mandates masking protocols on the bourse floor, we learned from Summer FUN that enforcing such rules is extremely difficult and we do not have the manpower to enforce it. The dealers at their tables can make the rules they want to enforce for doing business at their table. We understand that we cannot please everyone in this regards. We encourage our attendees to take the precautions you feel are needed to protect yourself.

The Orange County Convention Center has implemented a mask requirement for its employee staff ONLY. There are NO restrictions on convention attendees entering the Convention Center.”

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else read a certain numismatic blog this morning and think the authors symptoms sound like Covid-19?

I think many folks are writing off their symptoms as a cold, etc. rather than Omicron.

• Options

"> @J2035 said:

Anyone else read a certain numismatic blog this morning and think the authors symptoms sound like Covid-19?

I think many folks are writing off their symptoms as a cold, etc. rather than Omicron.

"You can rest assured that I will not be celebrating New Year's eve, rather heading to bed early to fight off a head cold. Most of Thursday was spent in bed with a sore throat and fatigue. "....................

Someone needs to get tested for Covid I think. I hope the blogger does b4 attending FUN next week.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Needs Covid testing

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    "> @J2035 said:

"You can rest assured that I will not be celebrating New Year's eve, rather heading to bed early to fight off a head cold. Most of Thursday was spent in bed with a sore throat and fatigue. "....................

Someone needs to get tested for Covid I think. I hope the blogger does b4 attending FUN next week.

Best, SH

My first thought when I read yesterday's blog and confirmed when I visited and read today's.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    "> @J2035 said:

Best, SH

Even if it is the big C19 by next week current CDC guidelines currently say 5 days is enough isolation. Next week should be no issue for that particular person.

Have had several people around my inner circle of friends work and family positive recently. Most were vaccinated and had 2-3 days of symptoms or less. The couple who weren’t had it a bit longer but the only one who had severe-ish symptoms was vaccinated and boosted.
    Had 3 or 4 people I know who felt mild symptoms and got tested negative. I guess the flu and common cold are still around.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 9:02AM

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@CoinHoarder said:

jmlanzaf probably complained about being verbally assaulted by the Colonel. :o

Nope. I didn't take anything he said as being even close to a verbal insult much less an assault.

Any other brilliant deductions?

Rick and I have been getting along fine lately. In fact, he actually compliments me in his last post.

I was referring to the virtual knee to the groin he spoke of.

That wasn't aimed at me.

Oh, I think it was Scooter. He quoted you before his response. Read it again if it’s not too uncomfortable for you. Your argumentative demeanor has cost us another popular forum member. You seem to have a knack for that.

No, I don't think it was. And, regardless, I considered it playful banter not an insult. You might also note that he starts by saying that his comments are "general". In other words, he was not speaking to anyone in particular. He also goes on to talk about 2nd Amendment rights and Stand Your Ground laws, none of which was ever mentioned by anyone other than him.

I wasn't arguing with Rick.

I'm not really sure why you want to blame me for his actions. But, whatever...

• Options
    edited December 31, 2021 9:08AM

@J2035 said:

A lot of people who get tested, with symptoms, actually don't have Covid. Why would we attempt to make a diagnosis with zero information in the middle of a really bad cold & flu season?

• Options
    edited December 31, 2021 9:27AM

****> @bigjpst said:

Even if it is the big C19 by next week current CDC guidelines currently say 5 days is enough isolation. Next week should be no issue for that particular person.

Here is what the CDC guidance is from a CNN article today:

"For instance, the CDC this week reduced isolation time from 10 days to five days for people with a positive Covid-19 test who don't have symptoms or whose symptoms are resolving — as long as they mask up for a further five days."

If the blogger does not confirm with a Covid-19 test either neg or pos, said blogger has not followed CDC guidelines and won't be meeting the quarantine requirements. Further if the test is positive, said blogger has symptoms which does not meet the 5 day quarantine unless said blogger symptoms begin to recede after the positive test. If blogger tests neg, no issues. But said blogger needs to get tested given said bloggers symptoms.......

Best, SH

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@CoinHoarder said:

What a shame

He obviously wanted to be banned, just read his post.........
    Probably tired of all the whining, complaining, and BS you have
    to read to get to any real content lately.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

@habaraca said:

@Boosibri said:

@CoinHoarder said:

What a shame

He obviously wanted to be banned, just read his post.........
    Probably tired of all the whining, complaining, and BS you have
    to read to get to any real content lately.

There has always been “real content”. There has also always been “all the whining, complaining and BS” - that’s nothing new.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

I looked for COL over there today briefly and did not see him

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Damn now to improve my vocabulary I will have to join the CAC Forum. Curse you Sears

m

MJ
    I was trying to figure out why you weren't over there already.
    (Good luck with Michigan later).

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Damn now to improve my vocabulary I will have to join the CAC Forum. Curse you Sears

m

MJ

Thank you! Life has just been body blocking me and getting in the way. Rick asked me to mosey over to CAC just last week as he's been noticeable quiet here of late. I'll migrate over soon

Happy New Year my friend!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 2:34PM

@Justacommeman said:

@breakdown said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

MJ

Thank you! Life has just been body blocking me and getting in the way. Rick asked me to mosey over to CAC just last week as he's been noticeable quiet here of late. I'll migrate over soon

m

Could this be part of a plan to get more people to migrate over?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Justacommeman said:

@breakdown said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

MJ

m

Could this be part of a plan to get more people to migrate over?

I don't think they are having a membership drive. I did see a lot of familiar faces over there. I always planned on joining but time has been at a premium for me.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 3:40PM

There are several great coin forums!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, Mark! Good to hear from you. Feliz Años!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Welcome back, Mark! Good to hear from you. Feliz Años!

Right back at you MW!

m

• Options
    edited December 31, 2021 5:20PM

@spacehayduke said:
    ****> @bigjpst said:

"For instance, the CDC this week reduced isolation time from 10 days to five days for people with a positive Covid-19 test who don't have symptoms or whose symptoms are resolving — as long as they mask up for a further five days."

If the blogger does not confirm with a Covid-19 test either neg or pos, said blogger has not followed CDC guidelines and won't be meeting the quarantine requirements. Further if the test is positive, said blogger has symptoms which does not meet the 5 day quarantine unless said blogger symptoms begin to recede after the positive test. If blogger tests neg, no issues. But said blogger needs to get tested given said bloggers symptoms.......

Best, SH

So are you suggesting that if he doesn’t get tested the CDC believes he should quarantine indefinitely? The onset of and receding of symptoms starts and ends the isolation period. If we are going to follow the “guidance” to the letter I guess he needs to stay home forever.

One of my family members tested positive, isolated for 10 days (this was before the change) and after 3 days had no symptoms. His Dr. Told him he could possibly test positive for another 3 months. Should he keep isolating?

• Options

@bigjpst said:

@spacehayduke said:
    ****> @bigjpst said:

Best, SH

So are you suggesting that if he doesn’t get tested the CDC believes he should quarantine indefinitely? The onset of and receding of symptoms starts and ends the isolation period. If we are going to follow the “guidance” to the letter I guess he needs to stay home forever.

One of my family members tested positive, isolated for 10 days (this was before the change) and after 3 days had no symptoms. His Dr. Told him he could possibly test positive for another 3 months. Should he keep isolating?

He shouldn't test positive for another 3 months...??? That seems highly dubious...and then I looked it up. Some patients, not all, do test positive for weeks after recovery. Very interesting. It is reverse transcription of the RNA.

You learn something new every day! Thanks.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am out. My table partner might get there driving. (Getting my book there will be racing with him.)

The flight cancelations were an original decision driver. Between that and the prospect of being stuck in an hotel for a week or two quarantined (guarding coins and money), flying was out.

I considered driving. But PCGS and Heritage, as well as other dealers I would have liked to see, pulling back or out, sealed it. Great table location and I had things to do at the show besides the usual. So is was a decision with a lot of regrets.

As long as Long Beach is a go, and I think it will be, I will be set up there.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2022 6:54AM

@bigjpst said:

I think you are overinterpreting what I wrote, I merely pointed out the CDC guidelines about what should be done if one has symptoms that could be Covid. Take it or leave it and you seem to be defensive and blowing this out of proportion. If I was the blogger I would get tested and proceed accordingly.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigjpst said:

@spacehayduke said:
    ****> @bigjpst said:

Best, SH

Can he pass it on to others?

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@bigjpst said:

I think you are overinterpreting what I wrote, I merely pointed out the CDC guidelines about what should be done if one has symptoms that could be Covid. Take it or leave it and you seem to be defensive and blowing this out of proportion. If I was the blogger I would get tested and proceed accordingly.

I’m not being defensive. I was just pointing out that by next week the blogger would likely be out of the new “contagious” state for isolation and them traveling to the show was not out of line. (As long as they had no symptoms)
    You were the one who felt the need to correct me by saying there needed to be a test according to the CNN report. So I was being a smart ***.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@bigjpst said:

@spacehayduke said:
    ****> @bigjpst said:

Best, SH

No.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong. You can pass it on as long as you’re positive. Symptoms or not. The reason for masking is primarily to not pass it on. It’s not about your health it’s about not infecting others.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

Not my opinion. Medical facts 🤨

• Options

@Zoins said:

@bigjpst said:

@spacehayduke said:
    ****> @bigjpst said:

Best, SH

No. It's RNA not DNA

• Options
    edited January 1, 2022 10:44AM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Wrong. You can pass it on as long as you’re positive. Symptoms or not. The reason for masking is primarily to not pass it on. It’s not about your health it’s about not infecting others.

This is not accurate. There is no live virus. The PCR test isn't for live virus.

https://wi.mit.edu/news/new-research-reveals-why-some-patients-may-test-positive-covid-19-long-after-recovery

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Not my opinion. Medical facts 🤨

Not the facts. Here's an easier to read summary than my previous link:

https://byweeknd.com/646636/how_long_can_you_test_positive_for_covid-19/

• Options
    edited January 1, 2022 10:51AM

You are able to infect three days before exhibiting symptoms as well…good times

• Options

From your post.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

This is not accurate. There is no live virus. The PCR test isn't for live virus.

https://wi.mit.edu/news/new-research-reveals-why-some-patients-may-test-positive-covid-19-long-after-recovery

Kary Mullis, Nobel prize winner and inventor explains why his PCR test is not a diagnostic test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXm9kAhNj-4

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    You are able to infect three days before exhibiting symptoms as well…good times

Or the entire time that you are asymptomatic.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

I'm not sure what your point is. ????? If you read the articles, it is quite clear that you can test positive long after you are unable to infect anyone. That was the point to which you were objecting.

In fact, all of the people I know who were infected were told to quarantine for 10 to 14 days (14 days last year, 10 days this year, 5 days now) and then go back to work. None of them were told to even bother to get tested after the 10 days, probably for the reasons given in the articles I posted.

Honestly, if you have symptoms, there is no NEED to get a test ever. Even if you have the flu rather than Covid, you should still quarantine for 5 days and then go back to your life. There is no need to confirm the diagnosis with a positive up front nor to get a negative after recovery.

You might want a test up front if you are planning on going out and spreading the flu if it's negative, but that isn't exactly neighborly either. ;)

• Options

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Kary Mullis, Nobel prize winner and inventor explains why his PCR test is not a diagnostic test

Yes, PCR stands for "polymerase chain reaction". It's a chain reaction. The test itself makes millions of copies of DNA or RNA fragments in the sample tested. It's very sensitive, but not testing for the presence of "live" virus. [Are viruses really alive? Debate amongst yourselves.]

• Options

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXm9kAhNj-4

I’ve read articles where they discussed this being the reason for a large number of false positives. (I suppose and overly accurate test is better than a less accurate one). But public policy is made on a test positivity rate that may be quite a bit off.
    The large number of people who test positive who never have any symptoms makes you wonder if there are asymptomatic cases or just false positive tests.
    Once we stop politicizing a virus and demonizing people for vaccination status I think things can return to somewhat normal lives. Good luck with that.

• Options

@bigjpst said:

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

I’ve read articles where they discussed this being the reason for a large number of false positives. (I suppose and overly accurate test is better than a less accurate one). But public policy is made on a test positivity rate that may be quite a bit off.
    The large number of people who test positive who never have any symptoms makes you wonder if there are asymptomatic cases or just false positive tests.
    Once we stop politicizing a virus and demonizing people for vaccination status I think things can return to somewhat normal lives. Good luck with that.

We're drifting in a dangerous direction here...

HOWEVER (LOL), it was interesting to watch the athletes last year. A lot of them had positive tests followed by negative tests a couple days later. It did make me wonder about the number of false positives.

The more interesting question to me is 2022-2023. You are still going to have hundreds of thousands of positive cases every day. What is the guidance and response going to be?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@bigjpst said:

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

We're drifting in a dangerous direction here...

HOWEVER (LOL), it was interesting to watch the athletes last year. A lot of them had positive tests followed by negative tests a couple days later. It did make me wonder about the number of false positives.

The more interesting question to me is 2022-2023. You are still going to have hundreds of thousands of positive cases every day. What is the guidance and response going to be?

I’m not a DR. Mostly just a cynical loudmouth, but I said at the beginning of the pandemic that given time this will eventually turn into something like the swine flu, avian common cold etc.
    I will admit I’ve been wrong or being right had been substantially delayed. 😁.

I stand by my statement though that by making the pandemic a political issue from the beginning we’ve polarized perception dramatically. I attended virtually every show here in Vegas last year minus a few PCGS shows. Some people wore masks, other didn’t. Lots of people at most of the shows.
    I think we will get to a point where shows are once again a place to buy coins not an excuse for us to come on forums and trash each other.

• Options

Seeing fewer JetBlue cancellations @ MCO

But now delta has a couple and southwest has several

This discussion has been closed.