Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Flight cancelations and FUN

yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

3800 flights canceled on Christmas Eve and Day.

Certainly just a sign of things to come.

Scheduled to arrive Jan 5

Got non refundable Epcot tickets

Not sure about hotel reservations.

Taking wind out of sails TBH

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay healthy for the next week and take whatever flight is still going.

As for Epcot, the tickets may be non-refundable, but I'll bet they can be used on another day if you can't get there due to COVID. Hotels could be trickier. Depends what you booked and how you did it.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    3800 flights canceled on Christmas Eve and Day.

Certainly just a sign of things to come.

Scheduled to arrive Jan 5

Got non refundable Epcot tickets

Not sure about hotel reservations.

Taking wind out of sails TBH

Does travel insurance take care of the finances?

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t look promising.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2021 5:17PM
    mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

Putting aside the obvious health risks for all involved...

Would they cancel show at this point?

I was on the road all Nov.

Not gonna drive 8hrs

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

CES is Las Vegas’ largest annual convention. It is the same time as the FUN show. It is still scheduled, but the following companies have pulled out.

Google, General Motors, Waymo, Lenovo Group, Intel, AT&T, T-Mobile, Amazon, Twitter and Meta (formerly known as Facebook).

Those companies cited the rapid spread of COVID-19 resulting from the omicron variant as the reason for staying on the sidelines.

Who knows what will happen to FUN.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the coin clubs delayed the meeting a week to the 3rd week in January. It is just too hard to plan at this point how the latest variant will play out especially for those vulnerable.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling this thread is going to poof so commenting may be pointless. But I just attended a fairly big conference in California, and I am going to another about the same time as FUN. There was no talk of the state or the venue forcing cancellation. I feel like there's no political will to go down that road again. Masks, probably. Vaccine requirement, maybe. Cancel, at this time I doubt it.

Airline flights are a wholly different matter. Hard to predict if a given flight crew will have a positive test or just decide to opt out that day.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

We always purchase trip insurance. It's all the more important with COVID.

Good luck!!! I hope that you are able to go as planned.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure hope the FUN does not get cancelled..... I agree that those with special vulnerabilities should be cautious.. However, the show is held during flu season anyway. So, those who have taken precautions (which are millions of citizens), and continue safeguards, should be fine. I will be traveling in a different direction, but still intend to travel. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talked to a FUN Board member a couple of days ago and it's full speed ahead. Remember, the show takes place the week after the holidays - not going to worry about any flight issues.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    stevefromnestevefromne Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

With Omicron exploding and huge amounts of flights being cancelled, the FUN Show committee should at least consider postponing for a month or two. A tough call.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

1600 U.S. flights cancelled during the Christmas holiday weekend out of a total of 20,000 daily flights...about the same percentage of me getting a gold sticker...don't worry about what you can't control...it you are a worrier you should always buy flight insurance or a refundable ticket...safe travels...

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope everything goes well. Even though the holiday rush will be over, the OSHA mandate could be starting .... depending on ? The major airlines all have over 100 employees and flying around the country where many states have different 'rules' could get complicated.

• Options
  • Options

@Zoins

Florida hit a new record in the pandemic for the second day in a row as the state reported 32,850 daily new cases on Saturday.

https://apnews.com/article/b10650dbe748751d2c2c830813d64df8

• Options

@Byers said:
    @Zoins

Florida hit a new record in the pandemic for the second day in a row as the state reported 32,850 daily new cases on Saturday.

https://apnews.com/article/b10650dbe748751d2c2c830813d64df8

Having FUN is a personal choice.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that the show will be cancelled. There might be a number of no shows, but I think it will go on.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plan is to drive down (8 hrs), mask at the show, and rapid test the morning of return. I've been boosted but don't want to bring it home.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be driving, so airline flights are not an issue for me. I have decided that I won’t be flying any time soon because it seems like I catch a cold every time I fly.

There is no way the show will be canceled. I’ve heard they have 1,500 dealers booked.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not going to make it. In fact, I am canceling a great deal of my current trip and heading home.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps FUN goes into Overtime to give everyone waiting on flights something to do

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
  • Options

I do enough driving with Rideshare, and made four trips to Ga in November for family reunions and emergencies.

Wore me slap out.

Just was not going to do 8hrs each way in a vehicle without getting paid... LOL

I canceled my flights and ate some $$$

Baltimore and Atlanta are direct flights.... so maybe Dalton and Whitman later in the year.

Be safe!

• Options

Wow 2,000 more flights cancelled
    today ( Monday Dec. 27th)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/27/business/flights-canceled-omicron-covid/index.html

• Options

that's globally thankfully

700 in or in/out of the usa, which is still a lot

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

But that's out of about 45,000 per day?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2021 1:53PM

@FredWeinberg said:

“This morning I cancelled my trip to Orlando/FUN.”

I have been hearing that others are cancelling too…

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg Hate to hear I'm not going to get to wish you the best in person. I completely understand your decision as I am helping my 84 year old Dad make it through these difficult times. Hope you stop in here occasionally and let us know how you are doing. Been a pleasure learning from you!

• Options

If it wasn't for the aggravation of getting there, I would probably have sucked it up.

Dalton trip, circa 2018, weather delays turned a 3 hour tour into 12 hours of waiting... BOTH WAYS

Swore never to be at their mercy again, not sure what I was thinking.

In the future and hopefully normalized times... Direct flights or NO GO for me.

• Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sitting here debating. when I booked everything I was super excited, now with the stress of airlines, travel, etc starting to not sound as fun. I guess at this point I will play it by ear and see what the next week brings. I will say that my patients sure are dropping this week. Covid cancellations have not been this bad at any point in the past 2 years.

• Options
    edited December 27, 2021 1:33PM

http://www.arrowcast.net/fids/mco/

scrolling through, at least for now, I'm not seeing cancellations into/out of MCO

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2021 1:39PM

@FredWeinberg - I'm not sure what you're going to do with your friends and admirers after the office shuts down. It's always Paul Nugget's birthday during FUN. A few of us had been hoping to fete you both. If I were to go to June LB and you had no table, how would I get in touch with you? BTW, I told Jay Miller to piggy-back your redolent poster consignment after his get graded. :)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rick, I'll still be on these chatroom boards, and I will
    have my email (same), so it'll be easy to contact me.

If you come out to LB for the June show, just post it here,
    or email me - I'll still go there for one day to socialize,
    have a lunch or dinner, etc.

As far a Nugget - I just can't imagine celebrating both of us
    at the same time !

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@MsMorrisine said:

About 8-10K.......

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2021 5:16PM

@spacehayduke said:

@moursund said:

@MsMorrisine said:

About 8-10K.......

Looks like 3-5% for United and Delta. Here’s some comparative info:

United said it canceled 115 flights Monday, out of more than 4,000 scheduled, due to crews with COVID-19. Delta expected to cancel more than 200 flights out of its schedule of over 4,100, after scrapping more than 370 on Sunday, citing the effect of COVID-19 on crews and winter weather in Minneapolis, Seattle and Salt Lake City.

Ref: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/over-4000-flights-cancelled-so-far-as-omicron-storms-disrupt-air-travel-for-4th-consecutive-day

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2021 8:11AM

That number I got from an article on the web, with your updates, we are talking more like 12-15K including the other big airlines.... Looking at flghtaware, there are sure alot of planes out there right now........

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2021 10:33AM

The numbers may seem inflated when considering US flights as the following BBC article indicates the majority of cancelled flights are by Chinese airlines. Here's some additional information on yesterday from FlightAware:

The majority of the flights cancelled on Monday are those by Chinese companies, according to FlightAware. They include China Eastern, which cancelled more than 420 flights, and Air China, with more than 190 cancellations.

So for Monday on FlightAware we have the following, which still indicates a strong showing by US companies.

• China Eastern: 420 flights cancelled
    • Delta: 200+ flights cancelled
    • Air China: 190 flights cancelled
    • United: 115 flights cancelled

Ref: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-59798682

• Options

@Zoins

Wow 2,500 more cancelled flights today
    (Tuesday Dec. 28th).

FUN is an international show. If they still have the coin show, clearly some travelers will have issues showing up.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/28/business/flights-canceled-omicron-covid/index.html

• Options
    edited December 28, 2021 3:02PM

@Byers said:
    @Zoins

Wow 2,500 more cancelled flights today
    (Tuesday Dec. 28th).

FUN is an international show. If they still have the coin show, clearly some travelers will have issues showing up.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/28/business/flights-canceled-omicron-covid/index.html

I think so, and people are rightly concerned. It would be terrible to have plans like this disrupted at the last moment. It seems like it's a day by day thing right now.

This discussion has been closed.