Home U.S. Coin Forum

Flight cancelations and FUN

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    reading this thread and the post above I come to one conclusion: Mother Nature is smarter than the Human Race and always seems to win in the end.

Evolution will win! Even the Pope says so!

• ByersByers Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is getting serious:

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
    edited December 29, 2021 1:54PM

@Byers said:
    This is getting serious:

4 million cases???

Florida only has 20 million people!

Jon @ScarsdaleCoin’s prediction of everyone getting Covid may be coming true in Florida!

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

....> @keets said:

reading this thread and the post above I come to one conclusion: Mother Nature is smarter than the Human Race and always seems to win in the end.

Yes but if the dealers would only be allowed to make the rules I'd see a glimmer of hope for the human race.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps this info might be useful:

peacockcoins

That may explain away part of the flight cancellations!

But it doesn’t explain 4 million infected overall in Florida, and yesterday 46,923 new COVID-19 cases in Florida alone!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that 4mil number is across all strains of Covid over the last two plus years

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am assuming it is a to-date number

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

here s Florida from JHU

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    That may explain away part of the flight cancellations!

But it doesn’t explain 4 million infected overall in Florida, and yesterday 46,923 new COVID-19 cases in Florida alone!

How does this compare to New York which has a smaller total population?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

edited December 29, 2021 2:18PM

Excellent point!

But yesterday 46,923 new COVID-19 cases in Florida alone!

For those of you still planning to attend the FUN show, be safe out there!

NYS from JHU

wikipedia estimate 20 mil NYS vs. 22 FL

edited December 29, 2021 2:34PM

NY estimated population 19.8 million. FL is 21.7 million.

NY State total infected estimated at 3.26 million. FL is 4 million.

NY new cases yesterday 35,830. FL is 46,923.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great chart!

Scary😳

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

After reading this thread, one would think that bodies are littering the sides of the road in Florida. :#

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    Great chart!

Scary😳

I have been watching that chart for about a year and a half now. The DPM is the key figure.

My state of California seems to one doing better than others states, my guess is because of tighter covid policies.

You can watch spikes in cases after certain events like the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. It is on the charts.

I was planning on getting a table at the next Long Beach Show, in February, but decided now is not the time.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Byers said:
    Great chart!

Scary😳

I have been watching that chart for about a year and a half now. The DPM is the key figure.

My state of California seems to one doing better than others states, my guess is because of tighter covid policies.

You can watch spikes in cases after certain events like the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. It is on the charts.

I was planning on getting a table at the next Long Beach Show, in February, but decided now is not the time.

I've got flight/hotel reservations for the Long Beach show as well. Still on the fence about going....

For those of you who decide to skip the FUN show due to the number of infected, think about attending the PCGS January Las Vegas Coin Show. It’s small, intimate and relaxing!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not cases, it's hospitalizations. Cases will go up with Omicron, but they are generally mild.

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's not cases, it's hospitalizations. Cases will go up with Omicron, but they are generally mild.

It seems mild with 3 shots. Single J&J or unvaccinated still seems pretty serious.

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

It seems mild with 3 shots. Single J&J or unvaccinated still seems pretty serious.

The numbers exist. Cases are way up, hospitalizations are not.

edited December 29, 2021 3:39PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

First-hand reports exist too. Don't be a statistic (unless you want to be)!

edited December 29, 2021 3:45PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Anecdotal evidence is grossly inferior to statistics. I'm not sure what you're point is. You will likely have 100,000 cases per day every winter for the rest of your life. You likely have 100,000 flu cases per day. If you only look at the case numbers you will never leave the house again.

I like statistics. They are great when it's not you :)

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 3:50PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Hospitalizations are starting to tick up (see UK and San Francisco data), and, as expected, they are lagging the surge in case numbers. Most expert are _not _expecting a huge Covid hospitalization bump, but we will know more in 7-10 days. What is happening is that ERs and other acute medical facilities are clogging with Covid cases, which isn't great if you have appendicitis or an ankle fracture and need emergency services, to say nothing of an MI or stroke!

For those that have health conditions that put them at higher risk for needing acute medical care (cancer undergoing treatment, immunosuppresion, unstable cardiovascular disease, etc.), it might be worth checking in on ER and hospital capacities in the Orlando area immediately prior to your departure to help inform your travel decision.

edited December 29, 2021 3:52PM

@RYK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Hospitalizations are starting to tick up (see UK and San Francisco data), and, as expected, they are lagging the surge in case numbers. Most expert are _not _expecting a huge Covid hospitalization bump, but we will know more in 7-10 days. What is happening is that ERs and other acute medical facilities are clogging with Covid cases, which isn't great if you have appendicitis or an ankle fracture and need emergency services, to say nothing of an MI or stroke!

Hospitalizations are starting to rise in Florida too, but not deaths yet. 7-day average for hospitalizations is at 22% of cases now.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region/us/florida

• SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breaking News!!

Heritage Auctions Platinum Night got moved from Florida FUN on Jan 7th, to Dallas, TX on Jan 14th!!!

Not looking promising for the FUN coin show.

edited December 29, 2021 3:58PM

@Byers said:
    Breaking News!!

Heritage Auctions Platinum Night got moved from Florida FUN on Jan 7th, to Dallas, TX on Jan 14th!!!

Not looking promising for the FUN coin show.

Hmm, PCGS and now Heritage?

I'm guessing safer is better! Is it ignoring the statistics, or knowing how to read them?

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s see if they update their live and let live protocols

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Anecdotal evidence is grossly inferior to statistics. I'm not sure what you're point is. You will likely have 100,000 cases per day every winter for the rest of your life. You likely have 100,000 flu cases per day. If you only look at the case numbers you will never leave the house again.

Everyone can make their own risk assessment.

edited December 29, 2021 4:04PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Everyone can make their own risk assessment.

Exactly!

No one is telling PCGS and Heritage to stay away.

@Zoins said “ Hmm, PCGS and now Heritage?”

It may be too late for FUN to effectively update their protocols.

Did I mention the PCGS January Las Vegas coin show🤔😈

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SIowhand said:

The Colonel's first sig-line was not "You can't handle the truth" but "It's not just a river in Egypt" B)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    Breaking News!!

I just got an email from Ha about FUN saying that all live auctions will move to Dallas. But they are still going to have lot viewing at FUN thru Sat at noon.

Best, SH

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

the interesting part, is there is no press release on the HA site

the dates in upcoming auctions have already been moved.

I guess FW won't have to be disappointed in missing the live auction

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

My daughter is expecting to give birth to our first grandchild on or about January 5th so I cannot go to FUN. On top of it she just tested positive for Covid a few days ago. Of course, my wife and I are nervous.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • savitalesavitale Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:
    I have a feeling this thread is going to poof so commenting may be pointless. But I just attended a fairly big conference in California, and I am going to another about the same time as FUN. There was no talk of the state or the venue forcing cancellation. I feel like there's no political will to go down that road again. Masks, probably. Vaccine requirement, maybe. Cancel, at this time I doubt it.

Airline flights are a wholly different matter. Hard to predict if a given flight crew will have a positive test or just decide to opt out that day.

Well, I might need to eat some crow. My conference in California scheduled for the first week of January was just canceled. Now this was a professional society meeting (a few thousand attendees) not a hobbyist trade show, so the situation is a bit different. My understanding is that less than 1/3 of the usual attendance was registered for the in-person event, and at that point the meeting becomes not viable for various reasons. That being said, FUN is a different beast and even if 1/3 of the dealers and 1/3 of the customers show up a trade show might still be not a disaster.

• SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    My daughter is expecting to give birth to our first grandchild on or about January 5th so I cannot go to FUN. On top of it she just tested positive for Covid a few days ago. Of course, my wife and I are nervous.

Hope everything works out well and your daughter isn’t too miserable.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

My daughter has been fully vaccinated but no booster shot.

She thought she had a relatively mild flu but then tested positive for covid.

My Dad lost his Mom to the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 in 1919 when my Dad was 1 years old.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Sorry to hear that @oreville. Best wishes for a healthy birth and new addition to the family!

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember, facts are like a box of chocolates; they'll kick your mangy dog.

peacockcoins

No, that’s a huge disaster!

This discussion has been closed.