Options

Flight cancelations and FUN

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 5:48PM

@savitale said:

@savitale said:
    I have a feeling this thread is going to poof so commenting may be pointless. But I just attended a fairly big conference in California, and I am going to another about the same time as FUN. There was no talk of the state or the venue forcing cancellation. I feel like there's no political will to go down that road again. Masks, probably. Vaccine requirement, maybe. Cancel, at this time I doubt it.

Airline flights are a wholly different matter. Hard to predict if a given flight crew will have a positive test or just decide to opt out that day.

Well, I might need to eat some crow. My conference in California scheduled for the first week of January was just canceled. Now this was a professional society meeting (a few thousand attendees) not a hobbyist trade show, so the situation is a bit different. My understanding is that less than 1/3 of the usual attendance was registered for the in-person event, and at that point the meeting becomes not viable for various reasons. That being said, FUN is a different beast and even if 1/3 of the dealers and 1/3 of the customers show up a trade show might still be not a disaster.

In general, that sounds like a disaster to me.

Of course, if a collector finds that one piece they've been looking years for or a dealer connects with a whale buyer, it may all work out, but how many people go to the a show expecting 1/3 the dealers and customers?

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@savitale said:

@savitale said:
    I have a feeling this thread is going to poof so commenting may be pointless. But I just attended a fairly big conference in California, and I am going to another about the same time as FUN. There was no talk of the state or the venue forcing cancellation. I feel like there's no political will to go down that road again. Masks, probably. Vaccine requirement, maybe. Cancel, at this time I doubt it.

Airline flights are a wholly different matter. Hard to predict if a given flight crew will have a positive test or just decide to opt out that day.

Well, I might need to eat some crow. My conference in California scheduled for the first week of January was just canceled. Now this was a professional society meeting (a few thousand attendees) not a hobbyist trade show, so the situation is a bit different. My understanding is that less than 1/3 of the usual attendance was registered for the in-person event, and at that point the meeting becomes not viable for various reasons. That being said, FUN is a different beast and even if 1/3 of the dealers and 1/3 of the customers show up a trade show might still be not a disaster.

Of course, if a collector finds that one piece they've been looking years for or a dealer connects with a whale buyer, it may all work out, but how many people go to the a show expecting 1/3 the dealers and customers?

The FUN show turning into FUN-lite would take some of the luster off the show (pun intended), but, in the short/long run, would likely have little effect on the coin market, dealers, investors and collectors, so long as everyone has liquidity. Deals not done in January get pushed forward, perhaps to the Baltimore show, when the current spike will likely be in the rear view mirror.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worst case seems to be a c-section oreville

Is she in a hospital bed right now?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2021 5:51PM

@RYK said:

@Zoins said:

@savitale said:

@savitale said:

The FUN show turning into FUN-lite would take some of the luster off the show (pun intended), but, in the short/long run, would likely have little effect on the coin market, dealers, investors and collectors, so long as everyone has liquidity. Deals not done in January get pushed forward, perhaps to the Baltimore show, when the current spike will likely be in the rear view mirror.

The hobby will survive and coins are doing great in general.

The specific issue the going the the show. For dealers considering going to the show, it seems to be a pretty easy financial calculation, whether it be financially worthwhile with 1/3 the business.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 5:56PM

Even with a third showing up, it will have zero effect on the coin market.

The coin business is extremely strong due to many factors. New record prices are happening consistently.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 6:24PM

Called heritage today. They are bringing my won lots for me to pick up at the show. Pretty sure they’re going to be there…

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 6:28PM

So sorry to hear, Oreville. It is very hopeful that she has the support of you and your family. I do wish you the very best.
    As far as going to the show and then getting sick and stuck in your hotel room, the other issue would be getting urgent or ER care under the current conditions in Florida. That could pose an amazing nightmare situation.
    For those that have decided to wait for the next opportunity, good call.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

The email and online do say lot viewing then

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Why do I feel like politics are whispering from the back seat in all of this?

• Options

Well said, Swamp.

• Options
    edited December 29, 2021 6:50PM

Suck ups

(Jk)

• Options
    edited December 29, 2021 6:51PM

Is there a list of dealers that have canceled, besides Sheridan Downey.

FUN website listed two cancellations and about 4 pages of additions.

• Options
    edited December 29, 2021 6:53PM

Yes correct Byers, its just projection of angst.

• Options
    edited December 29, 2021 7:37PM

@Pnies20 said:

I haven't seen a list, but I recall the following dealers cancelling:

• Seth Chandler / Witter Coins
    • Fred Weinberg
    • Mike Byers

This is in addition to PCGS and Heritage pulling back.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of today, the Orange County Convention Center will require masks on all employees.

• Options

@Byers said:
    Even with a third showing up, it will have zero effect on the coin market.

The coin business is extremely strong due to many factors. New record prices are happening consistently.

Where is this coming from? Who isn’t showing up? If someone knows, please share.

• Options
    edited December 29, 2021 7:24PM

@golden said:
    As of today, the Orange County Convention Center will require masks on all employees.

Interesting, their website still says vaccination, now it's vaccination and masks. Things are moving pretty quickly.

https://www.occc.net/FAQs

Are face masks required at the OCCC?

The OCCC is following current CDC recommendations for wearing of face masks based on vaccination status. Show Management may require attendees to wear face masks during their event. All full-time, part-time and temporary OCCC employees are required to be fully vaccinated, unless otherwise exempt due to medical, religious or covered reason by Sept. 30, 2021.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OCCC is finally updating their protocol to address the situation.

Yes, a list should be started for those not attending anymore.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2021 9:39PM
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 10:03PM

Central States 1980 was a disaster. So was.... and ... and ANA 2009 and Pogue IV, but I think this is a speed bump of minor industry significance. There's plenty of demand. Omicron is spreading quickly enough that it'll be done with degrading towards a clinical mean by Easter. Many more will catch it, Hospitalizations and mortality will decrease. I think @RYK is offering some primo guidance in this area.

Think about what happens if PCGS, NGC and Heritage have in-house rolling epidemics. That's a supply-chain bottleneck of much greater impact over the next two months.

This show would have been wonderful. Attendees will kick @ss. Long Beach is already also toast for major hubs east of Dallas to LAX. At 60% of potential, parking will still be awful, and everyone will drive away with a grin. But I wouldn't count on Heritage. This is a "been there, done that" for them. and PCGS may be taking coins down to the mother ship every four hours to set up a firewall for the grading staff and the equally crucial support team.

You could cancel shows for the entire next year and it would do little but irritate and impede hands-on collectors andthus increasingly whet their appetites.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    Central States 1980 was a disaster. So was.... and ... and ANA 2009 and Pogue IV, but I think this is a speed bump of minor industry significance. There's plenty of demand. Omicron is spreading quickly enough that it'll be done with degrading towards a clinical mean by Easter. Many more will catch it, Hospitalizations and mortality will decrease. I think @RYK is offering some primo guidance in this area.

Think about what happens if PCGS, NGC and Heritage have in-house rolling epidemics. That's a supply-chain bottleneck of much greater impact over the next two months. This show would have been wonderful. You could cancel shows for the entire next year and it would do little but irritate and impede hands-on collectors and increase their appetites.

I made one of my best buys ever at the 1980 CSNS show from a dealer that needed money. The 2009 ANA was a disaster.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Pnies20 said:

I haven't seen a list, but I recall the following dealers cancelling:

• Seth Chandler / Witter Coins
    • Fred Weinberg
    • Mike Byers

This is in addition to PCGS and Heritage pulling back.

I'm sure there are many more. Among the above:

• Julian Leidman
    • Harry Laibstain
  • Options
    willywilly Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received an email from Doug Winter this evening that he was not going to the show. He was bringing me a coin to pickup in person.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hedgefundtradingdesk said:
    So will everyone bail on NY International, which has 4x the case rate of Orlando? Or are PCGS and Heritage being nakedly political here?

Welcome to the forum.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 5:31AM

@hedgefundtradingdesk said:
    So will everyone bail on NY International, which has 4x the case rate of Orlando? Or are PCGS and Heritage being nakedly political here?

Thread killer... but an interesting question. There is an extra week before NY, so that may be next week's decision.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brad Rodgers of Numismatic Emporium Inc. has also canceled the FUN show

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is what they are doing via not attending.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 7:04AM

Working list of cancellations:

Partial Cancellations

1. PCGS: no on-site grading, no cocktail party
    2. Heritage: no auctions

Full Cancellations

1. Brad Rodgers of Numismatic Emporium Inc.
    2. Fred Weinberg
    3. Harry Laibstain
    4. Julian Leidman
    5. Mike Byers
    6. Seth Chandler of Witter Coins
  • Options

“ The U.S. Mint has announced they will not be able to attend our January convention”

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 6:14AM

@Mgarmy said:
    “The U.S. Mint has announced they will not be able to attend our January convention”

Wow!

I wonder what we'll see in the next 7 days.

http://www.funtopics.com/

• Options

There nonchalant attitude toward precautions did not help them. However the virus is endemic just like flu and now we have post exposure mitigation so hopefully this will be the last Fun show messed up.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 6:23AM

I'm wondering if FUN will allow a dealer to cancel and maintain their current table assignment and not loose their bourse fee. I know I could call, but at this point I am attending. If they do allow cancellations with credit I would wager the list of no-shows would grow exponentially.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 6:53AM

@Mgarmy said:
    There nonchalant attitude toward precautions did not help them. However the virus is endemic just like flu and now we have post exposure mitigation so hopefully this will be the last Fun show messed up.

The attitude is interesting given the AKC policy in the same venue just 10 days ago.

I can see and understand PCGS not wanting to send their grading and operations staff. If any of them were affected, it could affect their business much longer than the dates of the conference.

It is promising that Omicron is crowding out Delta. Perhaps we'll see an even more transmissible and even less impacting variant in the future.

• Options

I agree Mark but was avoiding

• Options

Zoins- by next year this time my hope is that you get a Covid shot that is quadravallant that covers multiple strains for a year vice this every couple months variety.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 7:01AM

@Mgarmy said:
    Zoins- by next year this time my hope is that you get a Covid shot that is quadravallant that covers multiple strains for a year vice this every couple months variety.

The pill is coming! I wonder if it will be OTC.

My guess is we may need better global vaccine coverage before variants stop coming and vaccines last longer. From the map below, we'll get there in early 2023.

That or we see less harmful and more transmissible variants come out to the point the more severe ones are crowded out.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/01/28/vaccine-nationalism-means-that-poor-countries-will-be-left-behind

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure the FUN Crew is just trying to stop the onslaught of phone calls they have been getting. They are telling us that YOU control your own decisions pertaining to attending the show. Dealers have the right to set their own protocol when it comes to their table space. One size does not fit all. Let's go and have some FUN!

This discussion has been closed.