Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Flight cancelations and FUN

Comments

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose getting back on topic slightly. I have never been to FUN and someday maybe would like to attend. The only pandemic related reason I would not attend would be because of risk my flight was cancelled or I was stuck out of state due to infection. If I lived within reasonable driving distance I would go.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 5:38PM

@spacehayduke said:

@bigjpst said:
    The large number of people who test positive who never have any symptoms makes you wonder if there are asymptomatic cases or just false positive tests.
    Once we stop politicizing a virus and demonizing people for vaccination status I think things can return to somewhat normal lives. Good luck with that.

There have been published studies on false positives and false negatives with the different types of Covid tests. No test is perfect but from what I recall of the summaries of these studies, anywhere from a <% to maybe 10%-ish false negatives (depends on the stage of infection apparently), and false positives are much much rarer. I am aware of one false positive for a person I interacted with, which was demonstrated to be likely negative bc she then took several more tests within 2 days that all came out negative (PCR was neg after a quick kit test was +, as were negs for different brands of the quick test). So it happens both ways, but not in anyway misleading in the amount of positives or the >800,000 deaths from Covid in the US alone. It is real, it is happening, there is a pandemic going on. Now who knows that could change with further study, nothing is impossible.

When I was a young lad we all lined up at school and got our shots - mostly several vaccinations, you are right, no one politicized it and we all just did it because it is the best way to snuff out a disease by being vaxxed. The politicalization seems to me to come from those who won't do their part for queen, country, and all of humanity, by getting vaxxed to help eradicate this thing. Not only in the US, but well documented in Europe and elsehwere as well. Just sayin'.

Best, SH

Sigh...edited because some people don't like it

• Options
    edited January 1, 2022 5:22PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

@bigjpst said:
    The large number of people who test positive who never have any symptoms makes you wonder if there are asymptomatic cases or just false positive tests.
    Once we stop politicizing a virus and demonizing people for vaccination status I think things can return to somewhat normal lives. Good luck with that.

There have been published studies on false positives and false negatives with the different types of Covid tests. No test is perfect but from what I recall of the summaries of these studies, anywhere from a <% to maybe 10%-ish false negatives (depends on the stage of infection apparently), and false positives are much much rarer. I am aware of one false positive for a person I interacted with, which was demonstrated to be likely negative bc she then took several more tests within 2 days that all came out negative (PCR was neg after a quick kit test was +, as were negs for different brands of the quick test). So it happens both ways, but not in anyway misleading in the amount of positives or the >800,000 deaths from Covid in the US alone. It is real, it is happening, there is a pandemic going on. Now who knows that could change with further study, nothing is impossible.

When I was a young lad we all lined up at school and got our shots - mostly several vaccinations, you are right, no one politicized it and we all just did it because it is the best way to snuff out a disease by being vaxxed. The politicalization seems to me to come from those who won't do their part for queen, country, and all of humanity, by getting vaxxed to help eradicate this thing. Not only in the US, but well documented in Europe and elsehwere as well. Just sayin'.

Best, SH

I think the vax hesitancy comes from people who distrust the government more than people who "won't do their part". That's why the two largest groups of unvaxed people in this country are Republicans (despite the fact that it is the "Trump vaccine") and BIPOC.

I agree, except that it clearly can't be the Trump vaccine because our current admin VP would not have gotten the "Trump" vaccine. :* This is a joke for those that don't understand emojis.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 8:15PM

While we are off topic enough, the political part really needs to be edited out

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I think the vax hesitancy comes from people who distrust the government more than people who "won't do their part". That's why the two largest groups of unvaxed people in this country are Republicans (despite the fact that it is the "Trump vaccine") and BIPOC.

While we are off topic enough, the political part really needs to be edited out

I'm not sure why that is any more political than the post that it was responding to. I'm not sure it is political at all. It is also far less judgmental than the post I was responding to.

If you can get the post I responded to to delete the "political part", I will gladly follow suit.

Otherwise, let her roll...there's a cliff up ahead.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

And….poof

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    And….poof

IDK. It's all been very civil.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@bigjpst said:

by getting vaxxed to help eradicate this thing.

Best, SH

Let's hope. I guess we will know when they tell us it's time for our 2nd or 3rd or 4th booster. I don't see this going away or being eradicated. We need to learn to deal with it. Once the treatment becomes more than take some tylenol and go home unless you can't breath, maybe we will be on track to do that.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

flight cancellations way up today - combination staff shortage and bad weather in parts of country

• Options

Bad weather affected some cities yesterday/y-evening

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Same bad actors in this thread grousing about the pandemic being politicized in one breath and then dropping political innuendo in the next.

Happy New Year

m

Happy New Year to you as well.

-Bad Actor

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Same bad actors in this thread grousing about the pandemic being politicized in one breath and then dropping political innuendo in the next.

True. I also take exception with the notion that anyone acting in the best interest of their own or their employees' health is "making a political statement".

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not posting anything since I plan to be here awhile.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jkrk said:

The thread will likely be closed by Monday, but I don't see anything ban-worthy. YMMV.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@jkrk said:

The thread will likely be closed by Monday, but I don't see anything ban-worthy. YMMV.

I'm rarely wrong but many times too early. :p

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@Justacommeman said:

True. I also take exception with the notion that anyone acting in the best interest of their own or their employees' health is "making a political statement".

Who said that???

• Options

It doesn’t matter who said it unless their flight to fun was cancelled

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

I'm still confused. But I don't really want to reread the entire thread.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I believe this might be the post in question:

hedgefundtradingdesk Posts: 3 ✭ December 30, 2021 12:31AM
    So will everyone bail on NY International, which has 4x the case rate of Orlando? Or are PCGS and Heritage being nakedly political here?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I believe this might be the post in question:

hedgefundtradingdesk Posts: 3 ✭ December 30, 2021 12:31AM
    So will everyone

Ah...yes. I remember it now.

I'm kind of sorry I asked. Didn't mean to bring it up again.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 7:51PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

@bigjpst said:

Best, SH

Is that a first?

Maybe not but it’s a bit unexpected.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

@bigjpst said:

Best, SH

Is that a first?

Maybe not but it’s a bit unexpected.

No. I sometimes reconsider. Probably more than most, but whatever...

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:

@Pnies20 said:

I ONLY drive. Like driving to begin with + hate dealing with airports.

I like airplanes and hate driving. There’s room for everybody! 😀

You must be a little guy. Airports are hell for large people. Bring back trains!

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saying. Eyes closed or open. This is it

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited January 2, 2022 9:20AM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Just saying. Eyes closed or

Sigh...

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2022 9:57AM

@MsMorrisine said:

@Zoins said:
    Case numbers are high but mild for those who are vaccinated.

A question is whether having a case of Covid would prevent someone from boarding a plane?

Morally? IMO, yes.

Here's an interesting situation where someone made a decision in the best interests of safety for others. A woman boarded a flight but then self-administered a Covid test on the plane after take off:

Marisa Fotieo said:
    The wheels started turning in my brain and I thought, 'OK, I'm going to just go take a test.' It was going to make me feel better. Immediately, it came back positive.

She was then quarantined in the airplane bathroom for 3 hours.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/icelandair-covid-passenger-quarantines-trnd/index.html

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@Zoins said:
    Case numbers are high but mild for those who are vaccinated.

A question is whether having a case of Covid would prevent someone from boarding a plane?

Morally? IMO, yes.

Here's an interesting situation where someone made a decision in the best interests of safety for others. A woman boarded a flight but then self-administered a Covid test on the plane after take off:

Marisa Fotieo said:
    The wheels started turning in my brain and I thought, 'OK, I'm going to just go take a test.' It was going to make me feel better. Immediately, it came back positive.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/icelandair-covid-passenger-quarantines-trnd/index.html

That does not make much sense to me. Put a KN95 or N95 mask on her and sit her in the back with her family. Based on the asymptomatic carrier rate, odds are that there were another 5-10 people on the plain that also would have tested positive if you checked. If you think that you are flying (domestic) Covid-free flights, you are dead wrong (pun intended).

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Marisa Fotieo said:

Pure sensationalism and wanting the five minutes in spotlight.

Should have administered it at home instead of all this drama.

• Options

@vulcanize said:

@Zoins said:

Marisa Fotieo said:

Agree. And since the bathroom is on the same HVAC system as the rest of the plane...

And why is she carrying an unused test? Wanted her 15 minutes and got it. If so, she didn't do the right thing. She did the wrong thing.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@Zoins said:

Marisa Fotieo said:

Agree. And since the bathroom is on the same HVAC system as the rest of the plane...

And why is she carrying an unused test? Wanted her 15 minutes and got it. If so, she didn't do the right thing. She did the wrong thing.

Your question baffles me. I’d bet that a lot of people travel with unused tests. In her case, maybe she was carrying one because she had (about) six of them and, as quoted from the article below, had used about five of them. previously.

“Before the flight, Fotieo told CNN she took two PCR tests and about five rapid tests, all of which came back negative. But about an hour and a half into the flight, Fotieo started to feel a sore throat.”

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

I got a warning from PCGS moderators for expressing a negative opinion of the Confederacy and a positive one of The Union. And yet this petri dish of a thread festers away on the weekend.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CopperWire said:
    I got a warning from PCGS moderators for expressing a negative opinion of the Confederacy and a positive one of The Union. And yet this petri dish of a thread festers away on the weekend.

I'm guessing this thread will be closed sometime tomorrow when the moderators come back to work.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@Zoins said:

Marisa Fotieo said:

Your question baffles me. I’d bet that a lot of people travel with unused tests. In her case, maybe she was carrying one because she had (about) six of them and, as quoted from the article below, had used about five of them. previously.

“Before the flight, Fotieo told CNN she took two PCR tests and about five rapid tests, all of which came back negative. But about an hour and a half into the flight, Fotieo started to feel a sore throat.”

Idk. It just didn't make sense. Could happen, I suppose. But why would you take 7 tests, especially when the first 6 were negative? People do crazy things, but it just doesn't ring true.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

In California, Pasadena held it's annual New Year's Rose Parade even though some people thought it should be canceled.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@Zoins said:

Marisa Fotieo said:

Idk. It just didn't make sense. Could happen, I suppose. But why would you take 7 tests, especially when the first 6 were negative? People do crazy things, but it just doesn't ring true.

Did you read the article? It didn’t state over what time period the tests were taken. But it did say “Fotieo, who is fully vaccinated and has received the booster, is an early childhood teacher in Chicago. She tests consistently since she works with an unvaccinated population.”

It rings truer to me than that this was a case of “pure sensationalism” or that someone would question why a passenger on a plane would be carrying an used test.😉

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@Zoins said:

Marisa Fotieo said:

I know a doc who recently thought he had COVID, had 3 negative nasal swab tests, an ER nurse suggested he swab his sore throat - Positive.

• Options

Seems like, in this window of time, the cancellations seem stable at MCO with JetBlue and southwest in the lead.

• Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Yes, that makes sense. Weekends get kinda wild around here.

@PerryHall said:

@CopperWire said:

I'm guessing this thread will be closed sometime tomorrow when the moderators come back to work.

• Options

Even if it’s not closed we won’t know who was or wasn’t warned.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@Zoins said:

Marisa Fotieo said:

Did you read the article? It didn’t state over what time period the tests were taken. But it did say “Fotieo, who is fully vaccinated and has received the booster, is an early childhood teacher in Chicago. She tests consistently since she works with an unvaccinated population.”

It rings truer to me than that this was a case of “pure sensationalism” or that someone would question why a passenger on a plane would be carrying an used test.😉

Lol. Idk. And she calls her school? She's on her way to Switzerland. Not to mention she puts the whole thing on social media. To me, it rings more of "pure sensationalism" (your term).

I also don't know what it has to do with FUN, coins, or anything else. So I guess I don't really need to care at all.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@Zoins said:

Marisa Fotieo said:

Lol. Idk. And she calls her school? She's on her way to Switzerland. Not to mention she puts the whole thing on social media. To me, it rings more of "pure sensationalism" (your term).

I also don't know what it has to do with FUN, coins, or anything else. So I guess I don't really need to care at all.

“Pure sensationalism” wasn’t my term. It was used by @vulcanize, whose post you quoted and then wrote “Agree” at the beginning of your reply.

You questioned her call to her school. I presume it was to try to get the word out to anyone who might have been exposed.

• Options

@MFeld said:

Did you read the article?
    “...Before the flight, Fotieo told CNN she took two PCR tests and about five rapid tests, all of which came back negative. But about an hour and a half into the flight, Fotieo started to feel a sore throat...”

You don’t think it was enough for her to have taken about seven tests prior to the flight? How was she guilty of “sensationalism” for taking another test after getting a sore throat?

DUH!!!!
    It was her social media (tiktok video to be precise) that got picked up by mainstream media to be made into a feel good story.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/airplane-quarantine-west-michigan-native-spends-4-hours-in-bathroom/69-55bb2601-e7dd-4c1c-99c3-c92543914189

• Options

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

“...Before the flight, Fotieo told CNN she took two PCR tests and about five rapid tests, all of which came back negative. But about an hour and a half into the flight, Fotieo started to feel a sore throat...”

You don’t think it was enough for her to have taken about seven tests prior to the flight? How was she guilty of “sensationalism” for taking another test after getting a sore throat?

DUH!!!!
    It was her social media (tiktok video to be precise) that got picked up by mainstream media to be made into a feel good story.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/airplane-quarantine-west-michigan-native-spends-4-hours-in-bathroom/69-55bb2601-e7dd-4c1c-99c3-c92543914189

Previously, you wrote “ Should have administered it at home instead of all this drama.” That doesn’t sound like a reasonable criticism, considering all of the tests she’d taken and we don’t know whether one or more of them had already been taken at home. Oh and it’s “duh” or “Duh”, not “DUH”.😉

• Options

@MFeld said:

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

DUH!!!!

Previously, you wrote “ Should have administered it at home instead of all this drama.” That doesn’t sound like a reasonable criticism, considering all of the tests she’d taken and we don’t know whether one or more of them had already been taken at home.

Foteio said she had taken five of the rapid tests ** in the days before leaving** and they were all negative.

She never did it on the day of the flight and could have very well done it before embarking on the journey.

Oh and it’s “duh” or “Duh”, not “DUH”.😉

That was me "yelling" because of your selective choices >:)

• Options

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

DUH!!!!

Previously, you wrote “ Should have administered it at home instead of all this drama.” That doesn’t sound like a reasonable criticism, considering all of the tests she’d taken and we don’t know whether one or more of them had already been taken at home.

Foteio said she had taken five of the rapid tests ** in the days before leaving** and they were all negative.

She never did it on the day of the flight and could have very well done it before embarking on the journey.

Oh and it’s “duh” or “Duh”, not “DUH”.😉

That was me "yelling" because of your selective choices >:)

Yes, she could have taken yet another test before embarking on her journey. But (“DUH”😉) she didn’t get a sore throat until she was on the flight and that was what caused her to test again.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    Yes, she could have taken yet another test before embarking on her journey. But (“DUH”😉) she didn’t get a sore throat until she was on the flight and that was what caused her to test again.

Which percisely brings us back a whole circle to "Pure sensationalism and wanting the five minutes in spotlight" because she SHOULD HAVE tested before leaving for the airport if she was so concerned, as the news articles paint her to have been. ;)

This discussion has been closed.