Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    A nice Stage-A example. Congrats on cherry-picking yourself, I’m sure that was a nice surprise, especially out of an estate sale.

I’m hoping when the CPG comes out next month, it prompts a lot more folks to dig out their folders and collections. Hopefully we will have a mint state example before long!

I was told last month by an editor at Whitman that the new CPG would be available by the end of August. I keep checking their website everyday. This is a highly anticipated book!

The sooner, the better. Amazon still shows it September 22nd on pre-order though.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    @RockyMtnProspector
    That is one sweet looking AG-3! Lot of meat on the bone

Thanks! Can't believe I overlooked it earlier.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options

Not a lot happening in the last 6 months. We just crossed over 6 years since we started this journey together.

The #29 Coin (PCGS AG-03) sold on eBay last month with a BIN for $1,499.99

There is an additional PCGS G-4 in the Pop Report - Still trying to track it down and see if it's a new discovery, cross, or one of the raw ones got graded. Anyone with info - post or PM me please.

I see the Cherrypicker's Guide is now on Amazon with a June 15th, 2021 release date - guess it got delayed from last year - still think that will be a nice shot in the arm to get more eyes looking.

I still haven't seen if the entry got reinstated in the Mega Red.

Anyone work at Coins Magazine? Every month I look at the listings and still nothing - yet there are far-FAR lesser Mercury Dime Doubled Dies listed - just makes no sense.

I suspect most of us don't have many/any coin shows to go to to look for these things - was kind of hoping bored and restless dealers would be going through their project boxes or re-flipping their inventory during all this downtime and might have stumbled across more.

About all for now - PM or post if you have any new info.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX Thanks for keeping this thread updated. I still have yet to find one. Maybe one day.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 3:52PM

Stunning and brilliant! ...and you can see it with the naked eye... Well, my eyes anyway!!

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up the 1919 DDO (coin 30) from Doug on Ebay on 6/22. You can update your records if you want.
    Coin 30: In God We Trust Coins and Currency sold to ARSave Collectibles on June 22, 2021.

Thanks, Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

Congrats on your purchase - updated the records.

Not much new to report.

Sill need pictures of coin 22 (PCGS VG8) currently in the jwinter(2) registry set is he a member, or anyone know him who can ask for pictures?

Still trying to confirm Coin #35 (A newer PCGS AG-3) in the pop report from April is a new find vs a cross. Anyone with info on this one? I have yet to see an actual cross besides my original find, and coin #3 when there was a problem getting that early find designated at PCGS.

My local show opens back up in August so hoping other areas are starting to move again too. Happy Hunting!

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago I bought a 10 coin dime lot on Ebay.

One of the coins is the 1919 10c DDO FS-101. I sent it to PCGS, it will most likely grade P01. It has a light obverse scratch which might cause it to, No Grade it.

I will post the results from PCGS, in a few weeks.

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options

@BWRC said:
    A few weeks ago I bought a 10 coin dime lot on Ebay.

One of the coins is the 1919 10c DDO FS-101. I sent it to PCGS, it will most likely grade P01. It has a light obverse scratch which might cause it to, No Grade it.

I will post the results from PCGS, in a few weeks.

That is awesome. Did you take any pictures by chance before you sent it in?

I assigned your coin as #36 in the census - Let me know when it grades so I can update things. We haven't had a Poor-1 graded yet. The PCGS FR-2 sold for $606.83 on GC and $1,475 though a private treaty. If it straight-grades, still probably worth $300-400 or so depending on how well you can see the DDO. Even if it gets a details-grade, still likely worth $100-200.

• Options

Here is an obverse picture, It has the die crack near the T in Liberty to the rim and the U S T appear doubled. Kind of a ruff condition though.

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options

BWRC congrats on the find!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

@BWRC said:
    Here is an obverse picture, It has the die crack near the T in Liberty to the rim and the U S T appear doubled. Kind of a ruff condition though.

I also bid on this lot, congrats on getting this one!

• Options

@BWRC said:

Nice - I updated it to a stage B
    Unless the reverse is really horrible, it looks to have just about as much left on the obv as the FR-2.
    Good luck on the grade!

• Options
    edited July 2, 2021 4:19PM

Confirmed coin #35 is a unique entry in the census.

A wholesome PCGS AG-3 (CAC) currently up for auction at Heritage (Not mine - simply providing info for others). The Obv is as good as some of the G4's, but the reverse holds it back in AG territory.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/mercury-dimes/dimes/1919-10c-doubled-die-obverse-fs-101-ag3-pcgs-cac-pcgs-population-8-10-and-0-0-ngc-census-0-0-and-0-0-ag3-mi/a/132127-21201.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

They got the population info wrong for the NGC entries (There are 5 NGC AG-3 coins) with 4 higher.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an attractive example of the "money side" of the coin. It would be perfectly acceptable to me.

• Options
    edited July 21, 2021 3:34PM

So when you bought the 10 coin lot, did you suspect the DDO? If that picture you posted earlier was from the auction, I would have suspected as much. Can’t believe others didn’t as well. Here is your photo, nice job!

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    So when you bought the 10 coin lot, did you suspect the DDO? If that picture you posted earlier was from the auction, I would have suspected as much. Can’t believe others didn’t as well. Here is your photo, nice job!

I am sure he did. Hard to beat him to a variety.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    kuwegg57kuwegg57 Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2021 6:24PM

A 1919 DDO in F02 just sold for $660.00 inc. BP. Heritage Auction

• Options

It was my coin, as shown above ID 42653019

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Congrats to the new owner!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see these variety holding it own after all this time.
    Still amazes me that this major variety went unnoticed for so long.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Yeah-I agree.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2021 7:23AM

Thanks for the heads up, I updated the census.

Congrats on the sale Brian. Both times a PCGS FR-2 were in a true auction, they finished about the same ($606.83 and $660). Coin #17 sold a bit higher off of a fixed price sale a few years ago, someone must have really wanted that one.

(17) PCGS FR2 (CAC) - $1,475 (1/2/18 - Sold through Gerry Fortin's website - seateddimevarieties.com)
    (36) PCGS FR2 - $660.00 (9/7/21 Heritage)
    (17) PCGS FR2 (CAC)- $606.83 (9/4/16 GC)

Coin #34 (PCGS G4) is listed on Heritage as part of: 2021 October 6 - 10 Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature® Auction #1334. Although it isn't very attractive, I still think it will finish in the $2000-$2500 range. (Not mine, just providing info for others)

https://coins.ha.com/itm/mercury-dimes/dimes/1919-10c-doubled-die-obverse-fs-101-good-4-pcgs-pcgs-population-3-7-and-0-0-ngc-census-0-0-and-0-0-good-4-mi/p/1334-5007.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edit on 9/18/21 - with 22 days left, online bidding on the above is already at $1,702 ($2,042.40 with BP)

There has only been 2 G4 sales so far, it's already in 2nd place.

(15) PCGS G4 (CAC) - $2,750 (8/22/19 - eBay Buy It Now)
    (32) PCGS G4 - $1914.75 ($1,702 bid + $212.75 BP) Great Collections 5/10/20

With only 11 problem-free coins higher (10 certified) might set a new record for a G4.

(8) PCGS XF-45
    (4) PCGS XF-40 (B)
    (1) PCGS VF-20 (CAC)
    (27) PCGS F-12 (B)
    (18) PCGS VG-10 (B)
    (20) NGC VG-10
    (3) PCGS VG-8
    (22) PCGS VG-8
    (11) RAW - VG
    (5) NGC G-6 (B)
    (6) NGC G-6

• Options
    edited October 10, 2021 4:55PM

Congrats to the new owner of coin #34, PCGS G4 - just shy of the G4 record.

Sold for $2,640 ($2,200 + 20% BP of $440). I had guessed betewen $2000-$2500 - at least prices are still staying strong on these.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what a solid no questions Mint State coin would bring if one were ever found?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    I wonder what a solid no questions Mint State coin would bring if one were ever found?

Good question. If you look at the 1916 DDO Buff you like to compare this to, PCGS Price guide is just about double at every grade than the Merc today.

If that held true, would put the Merc about:

60 - $30,000
    61 - $37,500
    62 - $47,500
    63 - $ 87,500
    64 - $137,500

• Options

The nickel is more dramatic and is doubled in the best place a doubled die can be-the date-but the dime is much rarer. If a Mint state example is ever found it would be unique in that grade so I imagine the sky would be the limit as far as value is concerned, especially when you take the registry craze into account.

• Options

Maybe then it might be added in the Redbook.

• Options

I'm amazed that it isn't in there now. I certainly deserves to be.

• Options

Yea, the nickel has a lot going for it. It’s prices are about double the Merc right now.

But… there are at least 10x the amount of the Buffs out there. Once the Merc gets in a published CPG, and hopefully eventually the Redbook and other price guides, even if it draws 2-3 times the current population out, I still don’t see many over XF. It will likely only ever hit about 1/3 the total pop of the Buff too. It may take years and years, but at some point, I think the Merc will close that about 1/2 the price of the Buff gap. May not ever get even to it, but on upper end examples, can see maybe 2/3 or 3/4 putting the upper end coins in the big money.

• Options

I would love to see it in the next Red Book.

• Options
    edited December 13, 2021 5:46PM

Number 37 was found and posted on reddit by user wordisborn (Who also found coin#26 a few years ago)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/coins/comments/rbvhv9/1919_ddo_mercury_dime_fs101_population_now_37/

I'd estimate it would grade AG and is a Stage B (Has the die cracks).

Maybe he/she is a member here or will join and tell the story of how it was found. Their pictures from the reddit post:

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if a true MS Piece will ever be found, could be lurking in an old collection that comes onto the market someday.

• Options
    edited December 13, 2021 5:54PM

WOW - I just saw NGC has an AU55 now in the census.

Who has info on this? It could possibly be coin #2 after re-conservation? (Last I knew it was in an NCS AU-50 Details / Environmental Damage holder). Maybe they had it re-re conserved and got it straight graded?

It could be coin #38 if it's a fresh discovery and a new Top Pop!

======================================

One other bit of sales news - Coin 33 sold 2 Sundays ago at Great Collections, right at where the AGs have been going:

(33) PCGS AG3 - $1125 ($1000 bid + $125 BP) Great Collections 12/5/21

• Options

WoW! Could this be it? From NGC Variety Plus'

• Options
    edited December 13, 2021 6:10PM

@kuwegg57 said:

If that picture is the NGC AU55, then I'm 99% sure it's coin #2 after some serious re-conservation. The staining above the O, and the dark dot above the 1st T in trust, the mark between I and W as well as some of the hits on some of the letters match the pictures I have of #2. Waiting to hear back from NGC, who usually helps me keep the census straight, see if I can get a cert #, hopefully with pics.

I just can't remember for some reason if that picture was there before (Likely from the NCS AU 50 Details grading) or not - I'm getting too old!

If you look at one of the other pictures in their array - that too is coin #2 (They used it very early on to document the variety even before it was graded). See how most of it matches up, hence I'm not sure if it was their NCS pic or the new AU55.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be really something if a MS showed up at one of the coin shows like FUN. It would probably bring the house down.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2021 6:33PM

@oih82w8 said:
    It would be really something if a MS showed up at one of the coin shows like FUN. It would probably bring the house down.

You are assuming all 13 people who follow these, and all 50 who could identify it would be there LOL. But yea, if a MS one ever pops up, it should cause quite a stir.

• Options

@kuwegg57 said:

I have pictures of #2 in the original slab, obv. and rev. Do you have a link to the full obverse and reverse of this piece?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I'm at work and away from my picture library to compare, will check this evening, but this may be a new discovery.

This is the NGC AU55 Cert: 6071356-001
    https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6071356-001/55/

• Options
    edited December 14, 2021 9:02AM

Number 2 has a few minor rim tics that I do not see on this coin. Looks like a new discovery and the new King of the Hill!
    TD

• Options

Love following this thread. You do have to wonder if there is a 1919 just sitting out there in mint state, with the owner having no idea what it is. Time may tell.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

@kuwegg57 said:

I have pictures of #2 in the original slab, obv. and rev. Do you have a link to the full obverse and reverse of this piece?

For my curiosity, can you post your images of #2?

• Options
    edited December 14, 2021 11:34AM

OK DDO Fans - after confirming coin #2 is still in its details holder, I have added coin #38 and new TOP POP to the census - the NGC AU-55!!!

Congrats to someone. If this is your coin, please chime in on how/where you found it, or any other details those who salivate at any new 1919 DDO news may enjoy!

If this is yours, it would also be nice to have a close-up picture of the motto on it.

PS - Somewhere I can envision DimeMan shedding a tear! 8-)

• Options

Specimen Number 2. Photos courtesy of Paul Hodson. Posted with permission.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

""PS - Somewhere I can envision DimeMan shedding a tear! 8-)""

I immediately thought the same thing when you first mentioned an AU55.

For a moment I thought there was a chance it may be one of his finds but it would be in a PCGS slab if it was.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file