Home U.S. Coin Forum

***The Official American Eagle 2021 Gold Proof Coin(s) Thread*** _Mint Hi-Res images posted

191011121315»

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

@cagcrisp said:
    A Gold Grid price change is one thing.
    A weekly price adjustment is something else.
    A Gold Grid price change is permanently Upwards.
    A weekly price adjustment can be Up or Down…

So, even if the price of gold fell drastically, the grid price on these would not change?

As mentioned…

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

@cagcrisp said:
    A Gold Grid price change is one thing.
    A weekly price adjustment is something else.
    A Gold Grid price change is permanently Upwards.

So, even if the price of gold fell drastically, the grid price on these would not change?

The entire Gold Grid was adjusted Upward two weeks ago. The premium to LBMA Gold fixes will not decline. Weekly the grid changes prices based on LBMA Gold fix. The LBMA Gold fix changes +/- daily. Weekly the Mint changes pricing on Wednesday afternoon +/- depending on the daily fixes…

edited May 26, 2021 4:54PM

Currently the 2021 Gold Buffalo Proof sells for $2,790.00
    That’s based on LBMA Gold of $1,850.00-$1,899.99
    Premium for the Gold Buffalo to LBMA Gold of $1,850.00 is $920.00
    That premium will Not go down.
    IF next week the daily LBMA fixes are Under $1,850.00 then the Mint will drop the 2021 Gold Buffalo to $2,740.00
    IF next week the daily LBMA fixes are Over $1,899.99 then the Mint will increase the 2021 Gold Buffalo Proof to $2,840.00…

• HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

Got it...(I think)!

I'm done asking questions and trying to understand Mint pricing...
    I'll just stick to prices and the price increase (or potential decrease) of these 2021 AE Gold Proofs.

BST references available on request

Go on the mint web site and search for the pricing grid

Read it and you’ll understand

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2800 for the Gold Buff Proof!!
    Once again, glad I got enuf.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:
    Got it...(I think)!
    [...]

It can be confusing at first. Hopefully, this will help. :)

The current 'grid', or 'pricing range table', can be found here.

The row used to set the price at release is determined by the "average price per ounce" (i.e., the left-hand column). For example, 21EL was released on 5.13.21 at $2,740.00. This means that the "average price per ounce" at release was between $1,800.00 and $1,849.99.

To find this on the 'grid', locate the "American Buffalo 24K Gold Proof" column. Scroll down this column until you see $2,740.00. This price is in the row that corresponds to an "average price per ounce" of "$1,800.00 to $1,849.99".

However, as you pointed out, the price of the underlying PMs can change after release, either up or down. So, the Mint re-visits the 'grid', and the resultant pricing, on a weekly basis.

The 'rules' for changing the 'price/row', can be found here. At this point, the details are not important. Just know that the Mint employs a systematic approach.

Continuing with the 21EL example, the price increased today from $2,740.00 to $2,790.00. This increase was 'triggered' by the Mint's weekly 'grid' review. This means that, per the 'rules', the applicable "average price per ounce" changed. The new row is "$1,850.00 to $1,899.99".

@MetroD said:

@HoneyMarket said:
    Got it...(I think)!
    [...]

It can be confusing at first. Hopefully, this will help. :)

The current 'grid', or 'pricing range table', can be found here.

The row used to set the price at release is determined by the "average price per ounce" (i.e., the left-hand column). For example, 21EL was released on 5.13.21 at $2,740.00. This means that the "average price per ounce" at release was between $1,800.00 and $1,849.99.

To find this on the 'grid', locate the "American Buffalo 24K Gold Proof" column. Scroll down this column until you see $2,740.00. This price is in the row that corresponds to an "average price per ounce" of "$1,800.00 to $1,849.99".

However, as you pointed out, the price of the underlying PMs can change after release, either up or down. So, the Mint re-visits the 'grid', and the resultant pricing, on a weekly basis.

The 'rules' for changing the 'price/row', can be found here. At this point, the details are not important. Just know that the Mint employs a systematic approach.

Continuing with the 21EL example, the price increased today from $2,740.00 to $2,790.00. This increase was 'triggered' by the Mint's weekly 'grid' review. This means that, per the 'rules', the applicable "average price per ounce" changed. The new row is "$1,850.00 to $1,899.99".

Thank you for detailing a specific example in your explanation that even someone boneheaded like me could understand.

I'm a visual learner, so using the 2021 Gold Buffalo weblink example and its corresponding updated price made perfect sense when you put it all together. When I first opened up "the grid", I was like...this is one of those crazy, busy, spreadsheets...but you spelled it out for me and I was able to follow along.

Thanks-again!

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint finally posted the High Resolution images of the new reverse.

https://www.usmint.gov/news/image-library/american-eagle-gold-proof-coins#2021onenew

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting a little bit old, and scruffy. These days are tough for eagles, too :/

hmmm

side-by-side one looks like a chicken

edited May 27, 2021 5:45PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    hmmm

side-by-side one looks like a chicken

Damn, I'm seeing that. And this is the start of the type 2 reverse that everyone is fighting for?

At least the silver proof reverse looks like an eagle.

And I repeat, do NOT sell your 69's....at least for now.
    And this example is First Day of Issue.

There are several other examples of 69's getting clobbered at GC.

Mint cost was around $2,400.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/997926/2021-W-50-One-Ounce-Gold-American-Eagle-Type-1-First-Day-of-Issue-PCGS-Proof-69-DCAM

• don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

I still have several 4-coin type 2 gold sets on backorder. Anyone else?

Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL

That is a great result to get 4 70's and a great TrueView.

@Goldminers said:
    That is a great result to get 4 70's and a great TrueView.

Thanks and a bit of luck, but thanks goes to Phil Arnold and his team at PCGS photography.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you GB! That is a beautiful set and I imagine one that you will hold onto and cherish for a very long time.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

@MilesWaits said:
    Good for you GB! That is a beautiful set and I imagine one that you will hold onto and cherish for a very long time.

Thanks Miles, it is a beautiful set indeed.

For now, it is in my safe that I can open when I need a good smile!!

Max rez

Here is mine. Another nice photo but the assigned grade a disappointment. Not seeing the real problem with the coin, as sometimes, it happens.

@Goldminers said:
    Here is mine. Another nice photo but the assigned grade a disappointment. Not seeing the real problem with the coin, as sometimes, it happens.

Am I to understand that you pay for grading but yet they don't justify the reason for the grading provided?

In other words, they don't tell you why something gets a lower grading than a 70?

They’ve run through over 30,000,000 items

They can’t detail a grade for them

@MsMorrisine said:
    They’ve run through over 30,000,000 items

They can’t detail a grade for them

Could one pay extra for details?

Seems like they have lots of "a la carte" service options that once can pay extra for?

IRL, when I pay for a home inspector to inspect a home or an appraiser for a value on a home that I am interested in purchasing, I receive a very detailed report. Further the home inspector can be legally liable for any glaring mistakes or omissions they make on their detailed report.

• HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

@Goldminers said:

Am I to understand that you pay for grading but yet they don't justify the reason for the grading provided?

In other words, they don't tell you why something gets a lower grading than a 70?

Exactly. It would take all of 30 seconds to jot down a note about why this wasn’t a 70.

Great Collections last night.

2021-W $5, $10, $25 and $50 Gold American Eagle Type 2 Set First Day of Issue PCGS Proof-70 (4 Coins)

Winning Bid: $6,749....$7,592.62 with BF.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1050772/2021-W-5-10-25-and-50-Gold-American-Eagle-Type-2-Set-First-Day-of-Issue-PCGS-Proof-70-4-Coins

Yesterday I cancelled backorders for five 4-coin gold sets. Good luck to anyone still trying to snag one. Curious how long until they pop up at 7:30am...

Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL

@kimber45ACP said:
    Here my max res photos

Very nice indeed.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

beautiful coins !!!!!

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Available for backorder

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Available for backorder

This morning?

Yes sir 15 minutes more or less

Still available for Backorder…

Reject bin?

6:00 pm eastern and they are still up

Prolly the five sets I cancelled....

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    6:00 pm eastern and they are still up

I'm just seeing unavailable. Is the 4 coin set available?

edited October 10, 2021 3:12PM

****1oz gold up. High relief. 4-coin no. Haven’t seen it up in awhile

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Oh, I thought you were speaking of the Type 2 proof gold AGE's.

Really no interest in the high relief bronco coin....missed the post to that coin in this thread.

High relief bronco has been available all day for many days.

This thread is for the AGE Proofs

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Oh, I thought you were speaking of the Type 2 proof gold AGE's.

Really no interest in the high relief bronco coin....missed the post to that coin in this thread.

While ridiculously overpriced, I personally preferred the Bronco in 24K to the type 2 AGE.

Incidentally the West Point American Liberty 2021 High Relief Gold Coin (Broncos) with 12,500 mintage is currently being shown as on Back order. Perhaps the flippers are rteturning it back because of lack of interest in secondary market because of the already 1000$ mark up of the mint as it is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file