Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***The Official American Eagle 2021 Gold Proof Coin(s) Thread*** _Mint Hi-Res images posted

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@jmlanzaf said:

They will make their money on 70s, typically. And they also aren't always correct. I know plenty of dealers who occasionally lose money on an issue. No one has an infallible crystal ball.

As @djm said, "If the coin only grades PR69DCAM it isn't worth what the raw coin is."
    ...and thus the fear of seeking out a grading.

So, what might a 70 possibly bring for wholesale value?

Hard to say. You are unlikely to have a 70 in your position for weeks. I need a crystal ball again.

Currently, one just sold on eBay for $3150
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2021-W-Proof-Gold-Eagle-Pcgs-Pf-70-50-FIRST-DAY-ISSUE-PRESALE-Mint-Confirmed/143975488925?hash=item21859b9d9d:g:o3AAAOSw7kdgSUzG

At $3100 retail, you can ask Pinehurst or Apmex what they are paying. My guess would be $2500ish right now, certainly no more than $2700.

What are the qualifications for 'First Day of issue?'

Just sayin'

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

@jmlanzaf said:

They will make their money on 70s, typically. And they also aren't always correct. I know plenty of dealers who occasionally lose money on an issue. No one has an infallible crystal ball.

As @djm said, "If the coin only grades PR69DCAM it isn't worth what the raw coin is."

The 70's are given significantly extra value by a few collectors, but only sometimes. If I get a 69 from my submission, for example, I will then pay more for a 70, to complete my set. If I get a 70 from my Mint order, I will not buy any more, so no demand for a 70 or any of these from me at all on eBay.

To grade a 4-piece set with First Strike designations will cost over $240 or so, depending on your shipping and insurance and you will not even get the grades back for a few weeks on average.

Plus you are at the mercy of the post office and delays or theft during shipping on the way and back. By then, these may have already saturated the actual market and people will already want the next new toy to flip.

Seriously, if you do not collect these, you are better off not buying them with the expectation of quick riches.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    If you go back to the beginning of this thread it was not expected to be that great a flip by many here, because the mintage was not that low and the premiums were quite high to even get in the game. With selling fees, this is just not a winner for most flippers, other than the TV marketers.

Thanks... and I'll admit, I did not read all the posts here due to the sheer number.

BST references available on request

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Hard to say. You are unlikely to have a 70 in your position for weeks. I need a crystal ball again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2021-W-Proof-Gold-Eagle-Pcgs-Pf-70-50-FIRST-DAY-ISSUE-PRESALE-Mint-Confirmed/143975488925?hash=item21859b9d9d:g:o3AAAOSw7kdgSUzG

At $3100 retail, you can ask Pinehurst or Apmex what they are paying. My guess would be $2500ish right now, certainly no more than $2700.

Thanks for finding that. I wonder what the two specs are...under the T & Y on the front!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@jmlanzaf said:

What are the qualifications for 'First Day of issue?'

Just sayin'

Yes, you can only get FDOI if you are a bulk submitter.

But there aren't any other sales.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

The 70's are given significantly extra value by a few collectors, but only sometimes. If I get a 69 from my submission, for example, I will then pay more for a 70, to complete my set. If I get a 70 from my Mint order, I will not buy any more, so no demand for a 70 or any of these from me at all on eBay.

Thanks for your insight into your thought process - makes perfect sense.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

@jessewvu said:

@HoneyMarket said:
    I guess I'll ask my first question about the "2021 American Eagle One Ounce Gold Proof Coin".

Are others here, with the 1oz coin (or the 4 coin set), sending it off to PCGS for first strike grading?

If so, how much could that expect to increase the value/resale value of the coin/set?

It seems that most of the 1oz coins selling on eBay are barely getting more than the invoice price + the eBay fee.
    Add in shipping and it appears most are only breaking even...if that.

anywhere between $0 and $1,000,000.

Your estimate is not correct, If the coin only grades PR69DCAM it isn't worth what the raw coin is.

maybe between -150 and 250,000.

@djm said:

@jessewvu said:

@HoneyMarket said:
    I guess I'll ask my first question about the "2021 American Eagle One Ounce Gold Proof Coin".

Are others here, with the 1oz coin (or the 4 coin set), sending it off to PCGS for first strike grading?

If so, how much could that expect to increase the value/resale value of the coin/set?

It seems that most of the 1oz coins selling on eBay are barely getting more than the invoice price + the eBay fee.

Your estimate is not correct, If the coin only grades PR69DCAM it isn't worth what the raw coin is.

@djm said:

@jessewvu said:

@HoneyMarket said:

He said increase. You can’t increase less than 0.

• Options

🤦‍♂️

• Options
    edited March 19, 2021 7:40PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    Of course you can. A decrease is just a negative increase.

Yep! Mathematically, it works out!

-1 + -1 = -2

o:)

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    If you go back to the beginning of this thread it was not expected to be that great a flip by many here, because the mintage was not that low and the premiums were quite high to even get in the game. With selling fees, this is just not a winner for most flippers, other than the TV marketers.

I went back and read the 9+ pages here. To be honest, I could not really find many posts about post value except a few here and there. Most posts here seem to discuss the Mint's awesome check-out system :* , Credit card issues, order #'s and shipping questions.

I could not find many discussions about potential resale value or future value based upon being the last year for this pressing.

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:

@Goldminers said:

I went back and read the 9+ pages here. To be honest, I could not really find many posts about post value except a few here and there. Most posts here seem to discuss the Mint's awesome check-out system :* , Credit card issues, order #'s and shipping questions.

I could not find many discussions about potential resale value or future value based upon being the last year for this pressing.

There's actually a second thread on these where most of the discussion took place. Or course, it is all just opinion.

I bought 20 tenth ouncers, but zero one ouncers. The premium was just too high to make it likely to be much of a winner. In my opinion, of course. $600 is a pretty big premium.

Very few Mint products are winners in the long run. The ones that are typically have very small mintages. These do not.

• Options

Thanks, everyone for your comments...I def. picked up a few things here and I appreciate the sharing of knowledge and wisdom towards a newbie to this hobby/passion.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw them available this morning. Everybody pushed themselves away from the table here ?

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made a purchase like I have done for several days...

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot this morning

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a 1/2 ounce this morning.

• Options

What was available?

• Options

@cheezhed said:
    What was available?

I saw 4 pc set for a second and half ounce maybe 10 seconds (long enough to get one if you wanted). I didn’t check any others.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2021 5:00AM

What’s chapping my azz is my order shipped Thursday $4.95 first class is out for delivery. Mint website says $20.95 shipping is typically received next day if placed before noon et. My overnight has sat for a week who cares if I get it overnight when it takes over a week to get out the door and I’m receiving first class in two days.

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    What’s chapping my azz is my order shipped Thursday $4.95 first class is out for delivery. Mint website says $20.95 shipping is typically received next day if placed before noon et. My overnight has sat for a week who cares if I get it overnight when it takes over a week to get out the door and I’m receiving first class in two days.

I never pay for the expedited shipping. If you read their own disclaimer, it does not get it out the door faster. It just changes the tier of shipping. Waste of money in my opinion.

• Options

Did anyone notice the Congratulations sets were available on Back Order for a while?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

I never pay for the expedited shipping. If you read their own disclaimer, it does not get it out the door faster. It just changes the tier of shipping. Waste of money in my opinion.

There maybe disclaimers but their description of overnight says “typically received next day If order before noon et” I know the loophole is “typically” but I have more that once got priority out the door with overnight. Not this time and won’t get burned twice.

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

How many congrats sets did you get @jmlanzaf ?

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

There maybe disclaimers but their description of overnight says “typically received next day If order before noon et” I know the loophole is “typically” but I have more that once got priority out the door with overnight. Not this time and won’t get burned twice.

But if you read the rest of their shipping policy, processing times are IN ADDITION to the delivery times. Only once did I ever pay the $20 for next day. It took them a week to ship it...then it did arrive the next day. I called them and they pointed out the policy to me. I was livid because I had paid next day because I needed it in 2 days for a customer. If it was going to take 9 days to get there, I could have saved the $20

"The table below outlines the United States Mint online catalog shipping options, costs, and estimated shipping times from our distribution center. Please allow 1-2 business days for order processing plus the additional delivery times below."

• Options

@Weather11am said:

None. I threw some in my cart, but those actually have unlimited mintages and so the "back order" made me wonder how many they were actually releasing.

As it is, I appear to have a whole lot of unofficially back ordered orders.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

I got one yesterday still processing and no confirmation email from mint.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:

@Bullsitter said:

I got one yesterday still processing and no confirmation email from mint.

Got my confirmation email about 30 minutes ago. Hope you get yours today.

• Options

I was looking for some other items this am. I saw the gold but think these are fizzling fast so I passed.

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Weather11am said:

None. I threw some in my cart, but those actually have unlimited mintages and so the "back order" made me wonder how many they were actually releasing.

I needed company. I bought 10. We’ll see what happens.

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    I was looking for some other items this am. I saw the gold but think these are fizzling fast so I passed.

I think the one ounce and the half-ounce are fizzled. The tenth ounce and quarter still seem to have some margin. The 4 coin set is getting close. They are selling at around $5000 to $5200. At $5000, you still make net $300ish on eBay which is good money but typical low margin.

I did just sell a tenth ounce in under an hour as a BIN at $319. They don't seem to be going much over $325 at the moment which is about a $35 margin which is still okay.

• Options

@Weather11am said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Weather11am said:

I needed company. I bought 10. We’ll see what happens.

Sorry, you should have told me earlier that you wanted company. I would have at least bought a couple.

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

I think the one ounce and the half-ounce are fizzled. The tenth ounce and quarter still seem to have some margin. The 4 coin set is getting close. They are selling at around $5000 to $5200. At $5000, you still make net $300ish on eBay which is good money but typical low margin.

I did just sell a tenth ounce in under an hour as a BIN at $319. They don't seem to be going much over $325 at the moment which is about a $35 margin which is still okay.

Do you think selling $5000 coin risky on eBay?

• Options

@Samuel8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

The real risk is with eBay themselves. They will not back you up if the buyer screws you and says to eBay that you did not send the coins. That's where the real risk is IMO!

• Options

@Samuel8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

I think selling a $5000 coin through the mail is risky. eBay doesn't increase the risk any. I've never had a problem.

@HoneyMarket said:

@Samuel8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

The real risk is with eBay themselves. They will not back you up if the buyer screws you and says to eBay that you did not send the coins. That's where the real risk is IMO!

This is simply NOT true. If you have tracking and it is scanned they will back you up. They have always had my back.

Go ahead, sell it on Facebook or BST. What added protection do you have there?

The only safer route is to take directly to a dealer and hand it to him/her.

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

I'm still waiting for a 1/10 oz from 3/11 about 12:09 order, It was scheduled for Weds. March 17th delivery, just keeps getting pushed back each day saying "in transit arriving late". I've got 3 brothers all who got their orders in after me on 3-11 who have already received their coins- their scheduled delivery dates were Friday and Saturday (19th/20th). Two of my brothers live in the same town as me, not sure where my coin went but apparently its taking the long route around to destination!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Samuel8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

I think selling a $5000 coin through the mail is risky. eBay doesn't increase the risk any. I've never had a problem.

@HoneyMarket said:

@Samuel8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

This is simply NOT true. If you have tracking and it is scanned they will back you up. They have always had my back.

A buyer can file a claim saying it was an empty package, or even do a credit card chargeback. They can possibly scam you that way.

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@liefgold said:

@92vette said:
    Has anyone's post - 3/11/21 orders shipped yet?

Good question. Mine have not. Anybody else?

I placed an order last Saturday for 1 1/10th oz and it got delivered today. I did not pay for upgraded shipping.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2021 5:48PM

@jwitten said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Samuel8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@Samuel8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

A buyer can file a claim saying it was an empty package, or even do a credit card chargeback. They can possibly scam you that way.

Of course they can. So can you FB or BST "customer". But in that case, you don't have any "Seller Guarantee".

Empty package results in filing an insurance claim.

There's a million ways anything can go wrong. Next time you buy something online, just remember that you're the scammer everyone's worried about.

Everyone says this like I don't have 70,000 eBay transactions. In those 70,000 transactions, I had ONE "empty package" and that was 20 years ago and resulted in a USPS insurance claim which was paid.

• Options

In my past 17 years of eBay sales, I had one package arrive “empty”. I had insurance and the post office declined to pay because I couldn’t prove where it was “removed”. I filed a police report and PayPal ended up paying me back.

I’ve only shipped about 20,000 packages but that’s a pretty good record I suppose.

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    In my past 17 years of eBay sales, I had one package arrive “empty”. I had insurance and the post office declined to pay because I couldn’t prove where it was “removed”. I filed a police report and PayPal ended up paying me back.

I’ve only shipped about 20,000 packages but that’s a pretty good record I suppose.

Yes, there is far less scamming going on than you would think from reading this forum. LOL.

And no risk means no reward.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

My fractional’s were delivered lickety-split without expedited shipping of which I’ve never purchased in the history of the Mint. Unless they gave it to me free.
    Yet, the Mint is the Mint! They have no rhyme or reason. Practice acceptance. And try your best to move quickly through the IV previous stages.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2021 4:49AM

jwitten is correct. IMHO you can forget a business model of shipping $5,000 packages on eBay, taking credit cards in the process, with the hopes of netting 5% on the deals. Far too many issues (especially) these days with USPS, unreasonable buyers, right to return shipments weeks or even months later if the market turns South, etc, etc. Don’t take only my word for it... ask the OP too!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, my 4 coin set is currently stuck with the post office. Sold it to coinflip, and he had us ship USPS this time instead of his normal fedex. Was sent 3 day priority, expected Friday, and no updates since Wednesday. Ugh.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 6:57PM

...disregard, I found out myself.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

my 4 coin was upgraded from $4.95 to UPS ground, no other $4.95 orders were so upgraded

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I just got my 1/2 canceled? Can’t call till tomorrow now.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any one else with strike-throughs? Quality control.....

(2021 1/10 ounce)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file