Home U.S. Coin Forum

***The Official American Eagle 2021 Gold Proof Coin(s) Thread*** _Mint Hi-Res images posted

Comments

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2021 silver eagle proofs are past the PCGS March 15th first strike shipping deadline now, the gold proofs are good until April 12th.

• My order from March 11 finally shipped this morning. Mine likely took longer since it was multiple gold proofs in one order.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spotthedog said:
    I got a 1/4 ouncer in my cart. Sitting there.

I've got a 1/4 and 1/10 in my cart. Couldn't quite check out fast enough. My hands must be getting slower. LOL

Don't worry, your replies are still fast enough.

Maybe it just seems that way because you're reading them more slowly.

I did get a 1/10 in the mail this morning. I didn't open it.

Oh...and UPS apparently dumped another $7000 in silver eagles on my driveway 2 hours ago. I won't be home for another hour. smh....

Quick!! PM me your address and I'll be right over to "help" if I can... o:)

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a couple that showed shipped on 15th that are not yet scanned into the USPS system. They are taking their time picking them up.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spotthedog said:
    I got a 1/4 ouncer in my cart. Sitting there.

I've got a 1/4 and 1/10 in my cart. Couldn't quite check out fast enough. My hands must be getting slower. LOL

Don't worry, your replies are still fast enough.

Maybe it just seems that way because you're reading them more slowly.

I did get a 1/10 in the mail this morning. I didn't open it.

Oh...and UPS apparently dumped another $7000 in silver eagles on my driveway 2 hours ago. I won't be home for another hour. smh....

Quick!! PM me your address and I'll be right over to "help" if I can... o:)

LOL.

They were there, although this time he put them on the front steps instead of the driveway so they are easier to see from the street.

smh...

• TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    I've got a couple that showed shipped on 15th that are not yet scanned into the USPS system. They are taking their time picking them up.

I believe that you are seeing pre shipment information. Labels are printed and attached. Probably haven’t been dropped off at USPS yet. Once mine actually entered the USPS system they arrived a day earlier than predicted.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a 1/2 oz today

Many happy BST transactions
  • spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

I got the 1/4 ouncer I had in my shopping bag. Actually was easy. Now I'm done.

got 12 tenth ouncers somehow.

1/4 ounce went unavailable while I was trying to check out, but somehow still had time to get the tenth ouncers in the bag and checkout. I'm guessing there were a lot of them??? Did anyone see a number?

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the 1/2 oz in my bag

Many happy BST transactions
  • cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2021 5:10AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    got 12 tenth ouncers somehow.

1/4 ounce went unavailable while I was trying to check out, but somehow still had time to get the tenth ouncers in the bag and checkout. I'm guessing there were a lot of them??? Did anyone see a number?

There were 58 of the tenth ouncers AFTER I got through purchasing ...

@jessewvu said:
    I got 3 extra hours of sleep this morning.

I wish I had. My dogs don't seem to be able to tell time.

• liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@92vette said:
    Has anyone's post - 3/11/21 orders shipped yet?

Good question. Mine have not. Anybody else?

liefgold
  • TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@liefgold said:

@92vette said:

No.

• CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

@Tomthemailcarrier said:

@liefgold said:

@92vette said:

No.

Nope

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

no and a few 3/11 orders have not shipped

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope

is this turning into a i'm worried about first strike thread?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two 1/10th ouncers ordered late first day just shipped

• murtymurty Posts: 15 ✭✭

Nope

Wink the sassy one
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

My third and final order from day 1 was just marked shipped all $4.95 shipping. Probably will actually ship Monday. My order from day 2 $20.95 overnight just sits there. If I knew $20.95 was only going to save me a few days shipping I would have gone $4.95 on that one too.

• CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

My 4 pc set ordered on 3/12 just shipped via UPS!

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."

everything but a 1/4oz is marked shipped

• HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    The 2021 silver eagle proofs are past the PCGS March 15th first strike shipping deadline now, the gold proofs are good until April 12th.

Sorry to ask a stupid question (new guy here)
    ...but what does this mean about the gold proofs good until 4/12?

BST references available on request

• Danno44Danno44 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

@Goldminers said:

Here is how the program works.
    https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike

@Danno44 said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@Goldminers said:

Thanks...Thus endeth my first lesson! :smile:
    I guess...since I opened the box from the mint...I'm not eligible for first strike eligibility?

@HoneyMarket said:

@Danno44 said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@Goldminers said:

I guess...since I opened the box from the mint...I'm not eligible for first strike eligibility?

You are if you send it before the 12th.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2021 4:44PM

@HoneyMarket said:

Please review the program link provided by @Danno44

@jmlanzaf is correct. See the first of the two ways to obtain the 'First Strike' designation.

Excerpt:
    "The package mailed to PCGS must be postmarked before or on the PCGS cutoff date for that particular coin/issue. Only the coins need to be mailed to PCGS within the first 30 days of of issue."

Edited To Add: Welcome to the forum. :)

@MetroD said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@jmlanzaf is correct. See the first of the two ways to obtain the 'First Strike' designation.

Excerpt:
    "The package mailed to PCGS must be postmarked before or on the PCGS cutoff date for that particular coin/issue. Only the coins need to be mailed to PCGS within the first 30 days of of issue."

First, Thanks for the Welcome! Glad to be here.

I guess I didn't read the PCGS First Strike Page correctly that @Danno44 sent, with the two options - I def. did not realize it was a 1 "OR" 2 option.

This leads me to my next question - the 2nd way to submit: "Submit the coins in the original unopened shipping box from the U.S. Mint with a postmark date prior to the specified PCGS cutoff date. "

In my mind, the 2nd way is similar to the 1st way, with the exception of what box it's mailed in?

Am I missing something??

BTW, I have a slew of questions to ask about the American Eagle 2021 One Ounce Gold Proof Coin that I got today and what I should do with it going forward. Should I ask away in this topic or start my own topic?

@HoneyMarket said:

@MetroD said:

@HoneyMarket said:

Excerpt:

First, Thanks for the Welcome! Glad to be here.

I guess I didn't read the PCGS First Strike Page correctly that @Danno44 sent, with the two options - I def. did not realize it was a 1 "OR" 2 option.

This leads me to my next question - the 2nd way to submit: "Submit the coins in the original unopened shipping box from the U.S. Mint with a postmark date prior to the specified PCGS cutoff date. "

In my mind, the 2nd way is similar to the 1st way, with the exception of what box it's mailed in?

Am I missing something??

BTW, I have a slew of questions to ask about the American Eagle 2021 One Ounce Gold Proof Coin that I got today and what I should do with it going forward. Should I ask away in this topic or start my own topic?

No, the 2nd way it could be mailed 10 years later as long as it is in the ORIGINAL SHIPPING BOX which is STILL SEALED. It is that original shipping box which has the correct postmark.

@jmlanzaf said:

No, the 2nd way it could be mailed 10 years later as long as it is in the ORIGINAL SHIPPING BOX which is STILL SEALED. It is that original shipping box which has the correct postmark.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
    I guess if reading comprehension is a requirement around here...I gotta get better! LOL

@HoneyMarket said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
    I guess if reading comprehension is a requirement around here...I gotta get better! LOL

Or PCGS needs to write it more clearly.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:
    [...]

This thread is about the Proof AGE. As such, I believe that posting your questions here would be appropriate.

Congrats on your acquisition. :)

I guess I'll ask my first question about the "2021 American Eagle One Ounce Gold Proof Coin".

Are others here, with the 1oz coin (or the 4 coin set), sending it off to PCGS for first strike grading?

If so, how much could that expect to increase the value/resale value of the coin/set?

It seems that most of the 1oz coins selling on eBay are barely getting more than the invoice price + the eBay fee.
    Add in shipping and it appears most are only breaking even...if that.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:
    I guess I'll ask my first question about the "2021 American Eagle One Ounce Gold Proof Coin".

Are others here, with the 1oz coin (or the 4 coin set), sending it off to PCGS for first strike grading?

If so, how much could that expect to increase the value/resale value of the coin/set?

It seems that most of the 1oz coins selling on eBay are barely getting more than the invoice price + the eBay fee.

anywhere between $0 and $1,000,000.

@HoneyMarket said:

If it comes back in a 69 holder, the value goes down.

If you are selling it now, it will probably add a couple hundred.

If you are keeping it, it really depends on whether you want it in a holder. Predicting the future price is dicey. The premium is so high on these, it is higher than the 70 premium on a lot of the Eagles.

• djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:

@HoneyMarket said:

anywhere between $0 and $1,000,000.

Your estimate is not correct, If the coin only grades PR69DCAM it isn't worth what the raw coin is.

maybe between -150 and 250,000.

@HoneyMarket said:

I see the 1 oz at $2700 to $3000 currently. If you have a store, the total eBay fee is only 8.45% and maxes at $250. Even at $2700, you are making $75 or so.

It is quite possible they are selling for less 2 months from now.

This were always a dicey flip.

it seems this year, the raw 1 ounce will be a dud for resale.

@MsMorrisine said:
    it seems this year, the raw 1 ounce will be a dud for resale.

Yeah, if it hasn't gotten a bounce right after going unavailable, it isn't likely to get one later.

@jmlanzaf said:

I see the 1 oz at $2700 to $3000 currently. If you have a store, the total eBay fee is only 8.45% and maxes at $250. Even at $2700, you are making $75 or so.

Yep, that's my thoughts too. It's def. been a dicey flip on the resale.

I wonder why the buyers were offering to pay a nice flip price and it did not work out. They don't usually make mistakes in their pricing - after all, they're supposed to know what they're doing and what to offer so they make money.

they are going to grade them and hopefully the flip price on the graded ones works out.

plus, they know not all are going to be winners. predicting which is not possible. they play them as they come.

@HoneyMarket said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Yep, that's my thoughts too. It's def. been a dicey flip on the resale.

I wonder why the buyers were offering to pay a nice flip price and it did not work out. They don't usually make mistakes in their pricing - after all, they're supposed to know what they're doing and what to offer so they make money.

They will make their money on 70s, typically. And they also aren't always correct. I know plenty of dealers who occasionally lose money on an issue. No one has an infallible crystal ball.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you go back to the beginning of this thread it was not expected to be that great a flip by many here, because the mintage was not that low and the premiums were quite high to even get in the game. With selling fees, this is just not a winner for most flippers, other than the TV marketers.

@jmlanzaf said:

They will make their money on 70s, typically. And they also aren't always correct. I know plenty of dealers who occasionally lose money on an issue. No one has an infallible crystal ball.

As @djm said, "If the coin only grades PR69DCAM it isn't worth what the raw coin is."
    ...and thus the fear of seeking out a grading.

So, what might a 70 possibly bring for wholesale value?

@HoneyMarket said:

@jmlanzaf said:

As @djm said, "If the coin only grades PR69DCAM it isn't worth what the raw coin is."
    ...and thus the fear of seeking out a grading.

So, what might a 70 possibly bring for wholesale value?

Hard to say. You are unlikely to have a 70 in your position for weeks. I need a crystal ball again.

Currently, one just sold on eBay for $3150
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2021-W-Proof-Gold-Eagle-Pcgs-Pf-70-50-FIRST-DAY-ISSUE-PRESALE-Mint-Confirmed/143975488925?hash=item21859b9d9d:g:o3AAAOSw7kdgSUzG

At $3100 retail, you can ask Pinehurst or Apmex what they are paying. My guess would be $2500ish right now, certainly no more than $2700.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file