Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***The Official American Eagle 2021 Gold Proof Coin(s) Thread*** _Mint Hi-Res images posted

Comments

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    Any one else with strike-throughs? Quality control.....

(2021 1/10 ounce)

I'll take another look tomorrow, but didn't notice any on initial louping

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cotton fibers?

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

Got a 1/4 oz this morning. The silver eagle was also available after I placed the order for gold. I hesitated, and it was gone.

• Options

@SPalladino said:
    Any one else with strike-throughs? Quality control.....

(2021 1/10 ounce)

I also noticed some kind of fiber on my 1/2 oz.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

Got my 1/2 oz. AGE yesterday. Coin looks good. No fibers or other marks that I can see.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

would be nice if they could eliminate fiber strike throughs

flakes of metals and grease are going to be impossible to prevent.

don't know of the cost of checking each coin for them so they can be melted.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    Cotton fibers?

These are incuse - strike-throughs. Looks more like small wire brush piece strike-throughs that I've seen on other coins. But it could have been other filamentous material.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Samuel8 said:
    Got a 1/4 oz this morning. The silver eagle was also available after I placed the order for gold. I hesitated, and it was gone.

I bought 1/10 oz this morning. I'd rather have the silver eagle, but the 1/10 was in my cart so I tried to buy it and jump over. Almost made it but I had 9 eagles in the cart and by the time I hit the final button, there was less than 9.

Oh well...there's always tomorrow.

USPS has apparently dropped the 4 pc gold set on my doorstep or driveway about 2 hours ago. smh...

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

@cheezhed said:
    Cotton fibers?

These are incuse - strike-throughs. Looks more like small wire brush piece strike-throughs that I've seen on other coins. But it could have been other filamentous material.

Cotton fibers are an incuse strike through

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

My first post… 🙂

• Options

I am a bit outspoken,, controversial..,, and sometimes in your face,,,, LOL,,,,... I hope to Bring a little eyebrow lift to some of the conversations…..,, hope I don’t get kicked out of here.. 😂

• Options

I started with this subject because I recently bought a 2021 four coin gold eagle proof set and a half ouncer,,, I was afraid to try to order them separate for fear of not getting neither one.... I would like to sell the Four coin set…,, but they are both in the same unopened box…,,, I have always collected the half ouncer’s…,,, Back in the day (1999),,, when I started,,, man,, they were a whole lot cheaper back then…..,, lol,,, 🙂
    Any suggestions how I could go about this and get the most bang for my buck?,,,, I would like to keep my original half ounce Goldeagle…,,,,

• Options

@Corvette said:
    I started with this subject because I recently bought a 2021 four coin gold eagle proof set and a half ouncer,,, I was afraid to try to order them separate for fear of not getting neither one.... I would like to sell the Four coin set…,, but they are both in the same unopened box…,,, I have always collected the half ouncer’s…,,, Back in the day (1999),,, when I started,,, man,, they were a whole lot cheaper back then…..,, lol,,, 🙂
    Any suggestions how I could go about this and get the most bang for my buck?,,,, I would like to keep my original half ounce Goldeagle…,,,,

1. Submit both to PCGS and let them open it and grade them.
    2. Open the box.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Samuel8 said:

I bought 1/10 oz this morning. I'd rather have the silver eagle, but the 1/10 was in my cart so I tried to buy it and jump over. Almost made it but I had 9 eagles in the cart and by the time I hit the final button, there was less than 9.

USPS has apparently dropped the 4 pc gold set on my doorstep or driveway about 2 hours ago. smh...

This morning I got a silver eagle just to try whether I am fast enough.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

UPS had my 4 pc set on the truck for delivery yesterday. Delivery time 10:30am. When it hadn’t arrived by 3 I called them. I was told package had been damaged and is being repackaged. Alarm bells blazing. I said I was concerned contents may have been compromised. I was told don’t worry ( that means worry) the box didn’t open it was only the wrapping. I said there is no wrapping, it’s a cardboard box with a shipping label attached. I told him I may have to refuse delivery. He said it was coming yesterday, never showed up. Called again after 8pm same story wrapping damaged. Who put that in the notes ? Package didn’t need a signature I would not have a chance to examine unless I caught the driver. I told them unacceptable I decline delivery. I called the mint got a great customer service girl. She spent half an hour clearly documenting everything and had me fill out a form.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arghhh...That is one of the more concerning stories I’ve heard a bout a delivery gone awry. At least you are doing your best.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

Just received shipping email for the 1/4 oz gold I ordered yesterday morning.

• Options

this has some really negative potential.

it's a good thing you had the mint cust serv make notes before receipt.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

For sure, it is really scary how the USPS and UPS handle packages. They are thrown all over the place and at everything. I have had packages arriving bent or crushed and with holes in it.

I recently received the 1/2 oz. AGE I ordered from the Mint. The UPS driver literally threw it on my porch (like delivering a paper), and it landed in a flower bed next to my porch. Lucky I was home. With service like this and the super-slow delivery times (especially with the USPS), I'm trying to figure out if there is a better alternative. Certainly not DHL! DHL lost a package sent to me from Europe. The sender and I gave up on it. Well, it appeared at my door 3 months later.....and delivered by the USPS!

Today, I finally got a package I was expecting since last week. It kept bouncing back and forth between two USPS distribution centers in my metropolitan area like a hot potato. Seems like no one wanted to send it on its way to me.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM

For sure, it is really scary how the USPS and UPS handle packages. They are thrown all over the place and at everything. I have had packages arriving bent or crushed and with holes in it.

I have not witnessed such behavior by USPS and UPS.

That's sounds out of control and unacceptable.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

have had several packages from overseas arrive via usps absolutely mangled over past several weeks - beyond reason, all contents were undamaged 🤷

• Options

One of my recent packages with the gold eagle proof was pretty pummeled as I would imagine patience is running thin for USPS employees Wondering about job security and job demands.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2021 7:59PM

@Corvette said:

You might want to try and reach out to CoinFlip. He may still be looking for the four-coin set.

Here was his latest thread he created, where he was looking for them and what he "was" paying. Send him a PM...and explain your situation (with the two orders in the same box). He may just instruct you to take your coin and send him the 4 coin set.

Good Luck!

BST references available on request

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

1. Submit both to PCGS and let them open it and grade them.

A total newbie question here...

How would I go about getting a 2021 1oz Gold American Eagle Proof Coin graded by PCGS?
    What type of costs might be involved??
    I'm thinking $84 just on the known costs that I can think of ($38 grading, first strike designation $18, mailing $28)?

I obviously don't have a subscription with them and would probably not pursue one @$69/year.

Does one just try to reach out to a local coin dealer who does subscribe and ask them to submit it on their behalf?
    ...and I'm sure there is a cost involved with that too??

BST references available on request

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

Does one just try to reach out to a local coin dealer who does subscribe and ask them to submit it on their behalf?

You can find a PCGS authorized dealer in your area by doing a Google search. They could submit your coin for you, When I’ve done that I usually make a small purchase there but it’s not required.

• Options

@Samuel8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Samuel8 said:

This morning I got a silver eagle just to try whether I am fast enough.

LOL. I got the 4 silver eagles that were in my cart from yesterday. I don't even know why anymore. Sales have slowed down and I still have 144 on hand already.

I think I might have a problem.> @Tomthemailcarrier said:

@HoneyMarket said:

You can find a PCGS authorized dealer in your area by doing a Google search. They could submit your coin for you, When I’ve done that I usually make a small purchase there but it’s not required.

You probably need/want to do this. It is completely cost prohibitive to send in a single coin. Even if sending in multiples, it is often much more cost affective to just buy one that's already graded.

• Options

Oh boy, I see the fractional‘s are going for just over a fraction of the issue price on the BST.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Oh boy, I see the fractional‘s are going for just over a fraction of the issue price on the BST.

And they’re not even going.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2021 5:59PM

@MilesWaits said:

Should we act surprised? LOL.

I sold three 1/10th on eBay at $319 last week. I just got 16 in the mail today. I'll let you know what happens.

I also got five 1/4s in the mail today. [Another banner front stoop drop-off from UPS.] Just listed those on eBay to see what happens.

One wholesaler I talked to isn't paying over issue price for them anymore.

• Options

Nope. No surprise here, most saw this coming.
    You were just a little bit more invested and candid about your prediction.
    For those wanting out, the best hope now is that gold spot rises up closer to the issue price.
    Which has floated a few sunk PM boats in the past.

• Options

I'd call this like I think of the 2020 palladium: it appears that everyone who wanted one got one.

thought the graded sales have not really hit yet. also, these are AGE, I suspect they'll fare a lot better than the APdE.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    I'd call this like I think of the 2020 palladium: it appears that everyone who wanted one got one.

thought the graded sales have not really hit yet. also, these are AGE, I suspect they'll fare a lot better than the APdE.

The tenths didn't have a crazy premium. At $90 over, that's only a little worse than old proofs which are all $50 over.

I believe the premium over spot for the 1/10 is a fair bit more than the 1 oz, Current mint price is 37% over spot for the 1 oz and 50% over for the 1/10)

• Options

@nags said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

The tenths didn't have a crazy premium. At $90 over, that's only a little worse than old proofs which are all $50 over.

I believe the premium over spot for the 1/10 is a fair bit more than the 1 oz, Current mint price is 37% over spot for the 1 oz and 50% over for the 1/10)

That's not the way to measure it. It's the absolute $ amount. Any proof eagle, no matter the size, typically has a $50 to $100 premium. When they are selling the 1/10 with a $90 premium, they are only $40 above typical sale prices for older eagles. On the other hand, when they have a $600 premium on a 1 ounce, they are $500 over typical sale prices for older eagles.

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

@nags said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

This.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@nags said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

That's not the way to measure it. It's the absolute $ amount. Any proof eagle, no matter the size, typically has a $50 to $100 premium. When they are selling the 1/10 with a $90 premium, they are only $40 above typical sale prices for older eagles. On the other hand, when they have a $600 premium on a 1 ounce, they are $500 over typical sale prices for older eagles.

By that logic (10) 1/10 for $2600 is a better deal with less premium than a 1 oz for $2340? Arguably the 1/10 is more saleable due to the smaller price, but the premium is undoubtedly more.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2021 8:53AM

@nags said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@nags said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

By that logic (10) 1/10 for $2600 is a better deal with less premium than a 1 oz for $2340? Arguably the 1/10 is more saleable due to the smaller price, but the premium is undoubtedly more.

That is correct.

At $2000 gold, you will only get $2100 for the 1 oz eagle whereas you would get $2500 for the 10 one-tenth ounce eagles.

The premium on old proofs is generally a flat $ amount not a percentage.

Edited to add: I just checked wholesale prices and the premium on proof gold has gone way up. $250 on 1 oz.

• Options

is anyone even trying at 7:30 now?

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

I'm there every morning. I'm not really "trying" for any of the gold.

I could probably flip a 4 coin set if one came available. I think 1 ounce and 1/2 ounce are dead in the water. Quarter ounce and 1/10 ounce are probably on life support, so I have enough of those.

• Options
    taciturntaciturn Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited March 26, 2021 11:59PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I could probably flip a 4 coin set if one came available. I think 1 ounce and 1/2 ounce are dead in the water. Quarter ounce and 1/10 ounce are probably on life support, so I have enough of those.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I just checked the sold prices on ebay and all prices are good above issue prices.
    set still getting sold around $5300, one ounce $2700-2800, half around $1700, quarter around $850 and tenth around $320. of course after deducting the ebay/paypal fees not much left, but for me the value of a coin is what people are willing to pay. People are complaining that they can't flip, better complain about the ridiculous fees. I'm a collector and happy with the development of these coins.

• Options

@taciturn said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I just checked the sold prices on ebay and all prices are good above issue prices.
    set still getting sold around $5300, one ounce $2700-2800, half around $1700, quarter around $850 and tenth around $320. of course after deducting the ebay/paypal fees not much left, but for me the value of a coin is what people are willing to pay. People are complaining that they can't flip, better complain about the ridiculous fees. I'm a collector and happy with the development of these coins.

I'm referring to the flip potential, of course. The only ones where there is money left are the quarter and the tenth.

But, you need to look at the volume of sales. There is not a lot of selling going on anymore.

Dealers are also not buying them at above issue price anymore, except for the 4 coin sets.

It would be silly to complain about "ridiculous fees" when the fees are quite reasonable. 6.3% total fees to flip the coins is damn cheap.

I would also point out the trajectory of these things. The price levels off before it starts dropping.

(Not so) bold prediction: these will be under issue price before summer.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2021 4:45AM

“(Not so) bold prediction: these will be under issue price before summer.”
    By then we will be beating our brains out over type 2.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

LOL. Maybe. We don't know what the parameters on those will be. If they issue them "unlimited", then probably not. Since it is the new permanent design, there is no reason for them to limit the issue.

• Options
    GuxiyouGuxiyou Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

LOL. Maybe. We don't know what the parameters on those will be. If they issue them "unlimited", then probably not. Since it is the new permanent design, there is no reason for them to limit the issue.

100% agree, but that's the sane position, and we are talking about the mint...

• Options
    edited March 27, 2021 9:24AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

Funny thing is I would think the logic behind no limits is not to limit, let the spigot flow but in effect then no one (exaggerating a bit) wants them. Limits are important.
    Consider the type 1. They placed the limit just under the number sold over the last few years with no limits. Put on a so called limit (how much more would have sold with no limit considering last last few years) and people are falling over themselves to get in. Especially us up every morning trying to catch those few precious (not so precious) coins available.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

My Guess is they Will be limited...

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

Funny thing is I would think the logic behind no limits is not to limit, let the spigot flow but in effect then no one (exaggerating a bit) wants them. Limits are important.
    Consider the type 1. They placed the limit just under the number sold over the last few years with no limits. Put on a so called limit (how much more would have sold with no limit considering last last few years) and people are falling over themselves to get in. Especially us up every morning trying to catch those few precious (not so precious) coins available.

@cagcrisp said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

My Guess is they Will be limited...

Except the proper marketing approach would be to limit the Type 1 to create a price increase and then issue an unlimited Type 2.

The Whole point of the intentional rarity is not to sell the rarity. After all, the Mint doesn't profit from the secondary market appreciation. The point of the rarity is to create a "winner" so people buy the unlimited issues in larger numbers.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2021 6:14AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

I remember the "no limit" fractional Buffalos.... Then they ABRUPTLY ended sales, caught a whole lot of people off guard.

(l8-)>>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file