Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***The Official American Eagle 2021 Gold Proof Coin(s) Thread*** _Mint Hi-Res images posted

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edgar said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:
    “(Not so) bold prediction: these will be under issue price before summer.”
    By then we will be beating our brains out over type 2.

LOL. Maybe. We don't know what the parameters on those will be. If they issue them "unlimited", then probably not. Since it is the new permanent design, there is no reason for them to limit the issue.

I remember the "no limit" fractional Buffalos.... Then they ABRUPTLY ended sales, caught a whole lot of people of guard.

Well, "no limit" doesn't mean infinite supply.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, Edgar, those were the salad days!!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

For salad reference purposes:
    https://youtu.be/ITzOSwZjYAM

• Options
    taciturntaciturn Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited March 28, 2021 1:25AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    It would be silly to complain about "ridiculous fees" when the fees are quite reasonable. 6.3% total fees to flip the coins is damn cheap.

6.3% total fees to flip? for ebay I would be 10% fees and then paypal charges fees too. Total fees are much higher for me. Maybe you have better fees condition as dealer?

• Options

@taciturn said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    It would be silly to complain about "ridiculous fees" when the fees are quite reasonable. 6.3% total fees to flip the coins is damn cheap.

6.3% total fees to flip? for ebay I would be 10% fees and then paypal charges fees too. Total fees are much higher for me. Maybe you have better fees condition as dealer?

No, not at all. GET A STORE! Get managed payments.

The managed payment rate for coins, with a store is 8.45%. The bullion rate is 7%. Bullion over $1500 is only 5%.

If you have top-rated seller plus, you can take another 10% off of that which is where my 6.3% came from (7% bullion rate - 10% = 6.3%)

If you have a store, top-rated seller discount and are selling a 1 oz proof gold eagle in bullion, the TOTAL FEES including EVERYTHING (no PP extra) is 4.5%

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2021 12:12PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@taciturn said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The managed payment rate for coins, with a store is 8.45%. The bullion rate is 7%. Bullion over $1500 is only 5%.

If you have top-rated seller plus, you can take another 10% off of that which is where my 6.3% came from (7% bullion rate - 10% = 6.3%)

If you have a store, top-rated seller discount and are selling a 1 oz proof gold eagle in bullion, the TOTAL FEES including EVERYTHING (no PP extra) is 4.5%

** (Just adding in more info about an eBay Store) **

To have an eBay "Store" costs a re-occuring monthly subscription fee.

At the lowest level (Starter Store acct), it will cost ~$95 a year

BST references available on request

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

looking at my last 30 days sales summary, my TOTAL costs on the eBay is 9%, that covers all fees and shipping costs.

Anyway, back to the gold coins. Anyone have luck getting one yesterday or today? I didn't see them flip today.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

My single four coin set is being graded.

Some of the eBay graded FDOI gold 70 recent sales are just way too high to believe.

• Options
    GuxiyouGuxiyou Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

I saw it flip yesterday, but wasn't fast enough to get it

• Options
    edited March 28, 2021 3:45PM

@HoneyMarket said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@taciturn said:

@jmlanzaf said:

** (Just adding in more info about an eBay Store) **

To have an eBay "Store" costs a re-occuring monthly subscription fee.

At the lowest level (Starter Store acct), it will cost ~$95 a year

You need the basic store $22 per month. But you also get $100 in free shipping supplies for that price. And given that you are saving 4% on every sale, you only need to do $6600 per year to break even and the shipping supplies for pure profit.

But, why do you need a year's subscription? If you only do the occasional flip, buy the monthly. $25 for one month gets you the 4% discount with a break-even of $625 in sales.

Or keep paying 12.45%, if you want. If you don't sell much of anything, it won't matter. But if you don't sell stuff, why are we even having this discussion? [That's a generic "you", not a specific "you".]

• Options

@jmlanzaf Great additional info about the store...(incl the shipping supplies)!!

I guess we're having the discussion...so that some of us can learn a few things from the veterans here!

Thanks!

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Us mint is “rate limiting” again. Too many browser resfreshes locks you out.

• Options

i just clicked refresh 20 times in under 20 seconds and nothing happened. How fast are you clicking!

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    i just clicked refresh 20 times in under 20 seconds and nothing happened. How fast are you clicking!

Hmmm. Not that fast. We’re you doing that at 7:28-7:30?

• Options

This.

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:

The "Add to bag" automatically shows up no matter you click or not, right?

• Options

Bl> @Samuel8 said:

The "Add to bag" automatically shows up no matter you click or not, right?

NO.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

The number of refreshes you do is Not the reason for the timeout.

It has been Repeatedly posted Incorrectly on this site that that is the reason.

You are in timeout for what you’re doing,

it’s just Not the refreshes that’s causing the problem...

• Options

@cagcrisp said:
    The number of refreshes you do is Not the reason for the timeout.

It has been Repeatedly posted Incorrectly on this site that that is the reason.

You are in timeout for what you’re doing,

it’s just Not the refreshes that’s causing the problem...

Explain please?

• Options

This seems to say that it IS the refreshing that causes the limit to kick in.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Betting the golds are toast now
    Seemed pretty unusual that most of the products were within 13 items of max....and then we haven’t seen anymore available. Maybe reserve for some returns? 13 sounds like a real small number as a reserve.

• Options

It is random. It has recently become more random.
    It doesn’t occur every morning at exactly the same time.
    So if you start refreshing at 7:28, ouch. That is a recipe for a lockout.
    And yes, hopefully they AGE’s are gone. Keep freshin, though!

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sort of surprised that there is not more hot demand for the gold. The edition sizes are quite low. The half oz. has an edition of 1,600 (singly) and 8,200 in the 4-coin set, for a total of 9,800. The 1 oz. and 1/4 oz. are not far from that. These editions are very low. Yet, they are not being gobbled up at high premiums. I bought a half ounce from the Mint and two more from a friend hoping for a decent investment. This fooled me. Thank God I'm not a big flipper with a load of these.

• Options

> @JeffM said:

I'm sort of surprised that there is not more hot demand for the gold. The edition sizes are quite low. The half oz. has an edition of 1,600 (singly) and 8,200 in the 4-coin set, for a total of 9,800. The 1 oz. and 1/4 oz. are not far from that. These editions are very low. Yet, they are not being gobbled up at high premiums. I bought a half ounce from the Mint and two more from a friend hoping for a decent investment. This fooled me. Thank God I'm not a big flipper with a load of these.

How many were sold last year?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    > @JeffM said:

Were the editions the same?

• Options

@JeffM said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    > @JeffM said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "editions". But if you look at each denomination, as of this writing (still available), they sold a total of 5784 one ounce eagles, 2446 half-ounce eagles, 4232 quarter-ounce eagles, 12466 tenth ounce eagles, and 10808 four coin sets.

So, yes, this years edition sizes are lower than last year but not by orders of magnitude.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JeffM said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    > @JeffM said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "editions". But if you look at each denomination, as of this writing (still available), they sold a total of 5784 one ounce eagles, 2446 half-ounce eagles, 4232 quarter-ounce eagles, 12466 tenth ounce eagles, and 10808 four coin sets.

So, yes, this years edition sizes are lower than last year but not by orders of magnitude.

Although the two year sales are in the same ballpark, there has been a marketing push and spark over this year being the final year of the current reverse. Look at the ASEs. As such, I figured that there will be an equal AGE craze. And they did sell out (for all intents and purposes). That's why I'm surprised that the secondary market does not reflect higher demand for the AGEs.

• Options

I don't click refresh until 0730 and 02 seconds. Then I do the obligatory 20 refreshes in the next 20 seconds.

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    I don't click refresh until 0730 and 02 seconds. Then I do the obligatory 20 refreshes in the next 20 seconds.

I sure hope you feel refreshed after that routine!

• Options

2021 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1 OZ 4,497 +12
    2021 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ. 1,597 + 11
    2021 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/4 OZ. 2,697 +10
    2021 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/10 OZ. 7,994 +7
    2021 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 4-COIN SET 8,196 + 9

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

For the newbies in here (...me specifically!), what is the meaning/context of the above post?
    How do the numbers correlate to each other (ex. 4,497 + 12)?

...And where does the information come from?

TIA.

(On another note: To some posters - you use way too many acronyms that some (I.e. new folks) don't understand - you'd make the US Army blush with some of the acronyms you use - Please help some of us understand - I'll eventually learn by osmosis of coming here more often)

• Options
    Dirt94Dirt94 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

@cagcrisp said:

For the newbies in here (...me specifically!), what is the meaning/context of the above post?

TIA.

(On another note: To some posters - you use way too many acronyms that some (I.e. new folks) don't understand - you'd make the US Army blush with some of the acronyms you use - Please help some of us understand - I'll eventually learn by osmosis of coming here more often)

These are the sales figures the Mint puts up on their website. The +# is the change from the previous week. +12 meaning 12 more sold in the past week. Sales figures for the week ending Sunday are usually posted on Tuesday morning.

Here is a link to the sales figures.
    https://www.usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures/cumulative-sales

• Options

@Dirt94 said:

These are the sales figures the Mint puts up on their website. The +# is the change from the previous week. +12 meaning 12 more sold in the past week. Sales figures for the week ending Sunday are usually posted on Tuesday morning.

Thanks - Great info when put that way...

I wonder how many from here were part of those + numbers!!

Another question: If I had to guess, these extra sales, after the fact that they were supposedly sold out...are probably from returns, undeliverable items, no payment purchases, etc?? Would that be a good guess?

...and based upon the history/knowledge of this group...will these + numbers just erode to 0 in the very near future...or does the Mint always seem to find a few more in the back corner somewhere?? :o

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:

@Dirt94 said:

Thanks - Great info when put that way...

I wonder how many from here were part of those + numbers!!

Another question: If I had to guess, these extra sales, after the fact that they were supposedly sold out...are probably from returns, undeliverable items, no payment purchases, etc?? Would that be a good guess?

...and based upon the history/knowledge of this group...will these + numbers just erode to 0 in the very near future...or does the Mint always seem to find a few more in the back corner somewhere?? :o

You can Only have +3, +3, +3, +6 and +4 respectfully to max out mintages which does Not happen.

You will More likely start seeing a negative number vs. a positive number. It all depends on how many extra's the Mint produced because there is No such thing as returns being re-sold...

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:

@cagcrisp said:

TIA.

LOL. He says as he uses TIA as an acronym...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

LOL. He says as he uses TIA as an acronym...

Everyone knows that TIA stands for Transient ischemic attack.

• Options

Thank you VERY much for that link.

...Some think they're helpful by being funny (while being rude)

...and then there are some (like you) who actually go out of their way to be VERY helpful (especially to new members).

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazing - OP in forum lingo post said:

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

...and then there are some (like you) who actually go out of their way to be VERY helpful (especially to new members).

Hey Honeymarket,
    It's all in good fun; no harm meant. We're glad you're here!

• Options

@Halfpence said:

@HoneyMarket said:

Hey Honeymarket,
    It's all in good fun; no harm meant. We're glad you're here!

...no hurt felt here!

Thanks - Glad to be here!! :)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 6:37AM

entered in error

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Question(s) for the US Mint veterans around here...

There are buyers who are buying up as many of the 2021 four-coin AGE sets they can get their hands on. Some were even buying the 1oz coin and paying a premium above the Mint sales price prior to opening day on this latest round of Mint sales.

If the buyers are paying $450-600 above the mint sales price on the four-coin set, how much do you believe they are charging eventual buyers?

...and who are their buyers?

• Old guys/gals that don't know how to operate a computer?
    • Pre-existing "wealthy" customers who will pay anything for an AGE set from the Mint?
    • Sending them off for grading and hoping for an MS70 grade??

Thanks in advance (TIA) for any responses - I'm just trying to understand the other parts of this business/hobby.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

There are buyers who are buying up as many of the 2021 four-coin AGE sets they can get their hands on. Some were even buying the 1oz coin and paying a premium above the Mint sales price prior to opening day on this latest round of Mint sales.

If the buyers are paying $450-600 above the mint sales price on the four-coin set, how much do you believe they are charging eventual buyers?

• Pre-existing "wealthy" customers who will pay anything for an AGE set from the Mint?

Thanks in advance (TIA) for any responses - I'm just trying to understand the other parts of this business/hobby.

I think it is option three. Send in quantity for better chances at 70s and sell for a nice profit. Try to recoup costs the best you can on the 69s.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2021 4:40AM

R> @HoneyMarket said:

There are a lot of retail operations that have existing customer bases that they need to supply. They have to get their coins on the secondary market when they can't get them directly.

A lot of them go off for grading. The 70s "win", the 69s "lose".

Eventually, everyone who bought one in this time frame probably loses. The 70s won't hold value moving forward. The premium on raw sets will evaporate. It's the nature of the business. Only really small mintages like the V75 AGE will hold their issue price.

I would also expect that for this issue, people will be issuing fancy packaging special sets when the Type 2 are released.

• Options

I have only one tenth ounce left and five quarter ounce. My goal is to have none left by May Day. I will even sell the quarter ounce at below issue price, if necessary, to get them moved out before then.

• Options

Thanks again for the great comments & education of the "secondary" market for these coins.

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    I think it is option three. Send in quantity for better chances at 70s and sell for a nice profit. Try to recoup costs the best you can on the 69s.

If one was to just look at one coin (the 2021 one-ounce AGE), what do most believe the value might between a 69 & a 70 grading?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file