Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Card of the Day

Comments

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Never. That’s an absolute beauty, sir.

One of many such in your stable; I pay attention, good sir.

Thank you! Means a lot!
    My eyeballs popped out of head when he was sittin on ebay. Couldn't hit BIN fast enough. Pre-insane prices of course, about 2017 I think

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emar said:

Thank you! Means a lot!
    My eyeballs popped out of head when he was sittin on ebay. Couldn't hit BIN fast enough. Pre-insane prices of course, about 2017 I think

For a variety of reasons, there can’t be many tougher card #1’s - there are just so many problems - blurry printing, streaks of black and/or yellow, off centeredness, spotting, snow and that’s off the line into a pack!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@emar said:

Thank you! Means a lot!

For a variety of reasons, there can’t be many tougher card #1’s - there are just so many problems - blurry printing, streaks of black and/or yellow, off centeredness, spotting, snow and that’s off the line into a pack!

I looked it up, $575 Sept. 2017. Unbelievable.
    I waited years to find an acceptable Whitey. So many problems with the #1 card.
    Nowadays I thank my lucky stars for the cards I've been able to acquire prior to market madness.

How about we start the day with some classic cards of the Iron Horse...

1935 Wheaties Series 1

1935 Wheaties Series 3

1935 Wheaties Series 4

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emar said:
    2nd card/player of the day.
    I find the history of baseball fascinating!

The eccentric George (Rube) Waddell.
    If you have 17 minutes and love baseball history, the video below is well worth watching. Well done & entertaining

Great Card! One of my top 3 personal Favorite T206 images, not to mention one of the more interesting dead ball era HOF's

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

edited March 22, 2021 6:48AM

You know you love me...why?

Cause I’d rather be...

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@emar said:
    2nd card/player of the day.
    I find the history of baseball fascinating!

The eccentric George (Rube) Waddell.
    If you have 17 minutes and love baseball history, the video below is well worth watching. Well done & entertaining

>

Great Card! One of my top 3 personal Favorite T206 images, not to mention one of the more interesting dead ball era HOF's

Thanks!
    Love the portrait cards.

A really fun piece...one of the best Mickey items there is, in my humble opinion.

edited September 21, 2023 6:47PM

With latest round of PSA price increases, it's sad (depressing actually) but there will new no future stories for cool but low value items.. [sarcasm] Kudos to PSA for destroying something (except for the very well-to-do) that for many was the most fun aspect of the hobby. [/sarcasm] . I really do hope CGC's card grading catches on as Comic related non-sports is a perfect match for CSG. Appears PSA no longer wants that business anyhow given the metaphoric flip of the bird to those registry collectors.

edited September 21, 2023 6:48PM

Get Happy!

For one season in 1985, this guy was about as good as it can get. The way he made it look so easy would be something I didn’t really see again in baseball until Pedro Martinez circa 2000. There were plenty of dominant pitching peers but the good doctor looked like he was throwing wiffle balls in ‘85.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

For one season in 1985, this guy was about as good as it can get. The way he made it look so easy would be something I didn’t really see again in baseball until Pedro Martinez circa 2000. There were plenty of dominant pitching peers but the good doctor looked like he was throwing wiffle balls in ‘85.

Gooden was a lot better than people give him credit for. Despite the fact that he never came close to his 1984-85 greatness again, his career as a whole is better than that of at least a dozen HoF starting pitchers. Problem is he doesn't get his due because such a high percentage of his value was before his 21st birthday, over 54% by @dallasactuary 's favorite measure.

To stay on topic, the '83 Kittle and Strawberry started it, but it was this card and the corresponding Fleer Update that legitimized the Traded sets.

Also, how the heck does he not win the 1984 Cy Young?

edited May 14, 2021 7:46PM

@daltex said:

Gooden was a lot better than people give him credit for. Despite the fact that he never came close to his 1984-85 greatness again, his career as a whole is better than that of at least a dozen HoF starting pitchers. Problem is he doesn't get his due because such a high percentage of his value was before his 21st birthday, over 54% by @dallasactuary 's favorite measure.

To stay on topic, the '83 Kittle and Strawberry started it, but it was this card and the corresponding Fleer Update that legitimized the Traded sets.

Also, how the heck does he not win the 1984 Cy Young?

While Dwight was mostly dominant in 1984 - Rick Sutcliffe who the Cubs picked up in June84 went 16-1 2.69ERA in leading the Cubs to their first post season 4 decades. While not as flashy or awe inspiring it was just as "magical" or so I was told :)

edited September 21, 2023 6:48PM

^ Nice Docs

With a total of ten cards, you can pick one a day for ten straight!

Pictured athletes: Bob Feller, Otto Graham, Jim Pollard (3 cards on box side), Phil Rizzuto, George Mikan, Johnny Lujack, Ralph Kiner, Stan Musial, Jimmy Paterson, Sam Snead (7 cards on box back). Also pictured, with no actual card, is Ted Williams.

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

With a total of ten cards, you can pick one a day for ten straight!

Pictured athletes: Bob Feller, Otto Graham, Jim Pollard (3 cards on box side), Phil Rizzuto, George Mikan, Johnny Lujack, Ralph Kiner, Stan Musial, Jimmy Paterson, Sam Snead (7 cards on box back). Also pictured, with no actual card, is Ted Williams.

That’s pretty awesome Mr Wheaties!

• ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Was at Target tonight and saw they had a couple of Opening Day blasters for $10 each. Pulled this.

edited July 12, 2021 7:43PM

dupe post

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 6:19AM

For a 1980's issue the short printed cards, like this one, in this set are very difficult to find and almost always way off-centered. In my youth during the early 90's I recall picking up packs at a card store in the 4 then 3 for $1 budget bin.

Talk about low demand cards. Only 3 cards from the set graded have ever been PSA Graded. It may never be worth sending in items with this little value ever again to PSA? Although hoping one day there will be a mechanism for low value items for registry collectors.

Have never seen this set before.

I was a big fan of the reruns.

This is the one where Ralph is getting a safety driver award and he was involved in a car accident that morning with the guy who's going to give him the award; but he fesses up and says it was "his" fault. And a side story - Alice with that hideous "bow adorned" dress? It turns out that Trixie comes down wearing the same one! So after the "fuss" - Trixie winds up wearing a coat.

The episodes done in 1955 were on really good tape - so the resolution is very good.

To me, IMO, a lot of the comedy we've watched over the past 3 decades are nothing more than "footnotes" to the themes portrayed on the Honeymooners (and perhaps I love Lucy also?).

Mike
    edited September 21, 2023 6:49PM

• tomg1977tomg1977 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Loved the cards so much, I ended up collecting all 45 cards from the standard signature shots set that was in 19/20 UD Engrained. Saw this Hughes and loved how the red/black insert meshed with the Devils colors and design of the card.

edited September 18, 2023 6:23PM

A day late.

As mentioned

Continuing

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    1961-62 Lee Clothing Company Lance Alworth, an exceptionally rare pre-rookie card

That's cool

• Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Nice rookie of a guy who will get in to the Hall of Fame one day. Really great player who always seemed at his best in big games...

Nice card! Great pitcher! He was caught expressing himself one time. He was the first Jeffrey toobin of the early 90s. 😂

This is a really beautiful card. We lost this legendary knight a while back now but this is how I will always remember one of the greatest Scottish actors in the history of cinema. Creator of too many memorable roles to list, his most enduring legacy is likely as the protagonist of one of the most lucrative, entertaining and long lasting film franchise’s in Hollywood history. Whether it’s the Aston Martin’s and BMW’s, the martini ordered shaken not stirred or the timely pun delivered after exercising a license to kill, chances are you’ve been influenced in some way by Ian Fleming’s master spy. A man’s man if there ever was one, assuredly so.

Bond. James Bond.

RIP, Sir Sean Connery

A unique and special card from my collection; this one comes from a set that originated from France. Due to the fine detective work of @ReggieCleveland , the hobby now recognizes this beautiful card as that of The Great Bambino. Likely issued in 1935, the card depicts George Herman on the 1934 Baseball Tour of Japan where Ruth along with Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx and a host of other stars (including baseball catcher Moe Berg, this being the alleged start of the spy career) served as baseball’s ambassadors for a few weeks in Japan.

One cool bit to me is that that entire team was American Leaguers as NL owners would not permit their players to go. As such, it’s sort of Babe’s last card as a Yankee as he is still hitting next to Gehrig, and upon his arrival home, would never wear the pinstripes again, signing with the NL’s Boston Braves after the tour to play what would be his final season in ‘35.

I found the card raw and sent it in to PSA. Of the two they have graded, it’s top pop though SGC has graded what would easily be the finest known copy.

Here is the thread from when I found it with much more information on the card and the 1934 Tour of Japan, if you’re interested in any more information:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1052920/wait-is-that-a-vintage-babe-ruth-unicorn-c1930-jean-donat-dupont-indiana-sport-avion-babe-ruth

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2021 8:06AM

Great card, Tim! I love that set. There are easy-to-find foreign sets and then there are really, really hard-to-find foreign sets. This one is definitely the latter.

Arthur

ETA: The SGC example used to be mine and was the first one discovered. I donated it to a charity auction and the winner got a steal because no one had ever seen it before.

Hi Folks:

🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈

Shark Week starts Sunday, hoping to see shark related cards posted each day. I have few scanned and ready to go.

~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks:

🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈

Shark Week starts Sunday, hoping to see shark related cards posted each day. I have few scanned and ready to go.

~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\~~/\

Hoping to see Tarkanian and Samardizja make appearances.

edited July 9, 2021 2:48AM

The Yankee that broke the color barrier pictured as a rookie in the ‘55 Bowman set…

• WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

The Yankee that broke the color barrier pictured as a rookie in the ‘55 Bowman set…

Very nice! I need the big boys, Robinson, Doby, and Banks RC's to have them all. But most are raw.

edited September 18, 2023 6:14PM

Today begins 2021's 🦈 week

edited September 18, 2023 6:11PM

🦈 🦈🦈🦈
    Perhaps the nicest Black Bordered PSA 7 I've ever seen. The now cliched quote applies "Buy The Card Not The Holder/Flip".

Another player that broke a color barrier- maybe you’ve heard of him?

1947-66 Exhibits Jackie Robinson

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2021 7:05AM

love the elston!

• 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Thanks to that Jaws of Death poster, they now put rear-view mirrors on all water-skiing boats. (and a 5th gear)

edited July 25, 2021 1:43AM

In my lifetime, I have met and befriended several wacky, fun loving Canadian’s. So I literally picture my friend with his 70’s haircut, back in 1971 heading to work at the OPC factory:

“How’s about we slam some Molsen’s and cut some cards, hoser.”

I always liked this card - OPC or Topps - but for me the Canuck back is greatly preferred.

1971 Topps #5 Thurman Munson (card back)

I love both card but something about the golden yellow back pops against the black front when you flip it over in hand.

• Here's another OPC for today (and a pop 1 to boot). Say what you may about him as a broadcaster, but when I hear his voice I can't help but think "World Series" and sitting on a covered porch in the deep South drinking an ice cold sweet tea on a hot Summer's day (I'm a native NYer who has lived in CA since age 18 so the latter is a figment of my imagination). Many who discredit this HOF Ford C. Frick Awardee's broadcasting career overlook his long and successful playing career ('59-'80) despite his two WS rings, finishing second to Cepeda for NL MVP in '67, and being the catcher of choice of two HOFers (Gibson and Carlton). This PSA 10 is more off center than I would prefer, but if there's a better example out there it hasn't been slabbed yet.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

A card I have had for a while. A POP 1 Double PSA 10 Mantle.

• azvikeazvike Posts: 352 ✭✭✭

UFFDAH, I am sure I speak for many when I say...we would LOVE to see what you consider the Top 10 items in your collection...WOW!...congrats!

Here’s some cards for Mr. Coffee, Mr. 56 and the man a nation turned it’s lonely eyes to…

1937 Wheaties Joe DiMaggio run

Series 6

Series 7

Series 8

Series 9

(All hand cut…by me 😁)