Home Sports Talk

NFL latest news

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread will discuss anything and everything that is happening in the NFL. I will be updating this thread regularly with the latest stories from around the NFL.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 11:39AM

Raiders player Johnathan Abrams ran into a TV cart last night during the MNF game. The cart was positioned on the sideline near the endzone.

Speaking of the Raiders game, the "Drew Brees is washed up" talk has already started, and Drew is defending himself in this article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/drew-brees-dismisses-concerns-about-decline-after-loss-to-raiders/ar-BB19iVrY

The NFL has fined coaches Pete Carroll, Vic Fangio, and Kyle Shanahan $100,000 each for mask non-compliance violations.

An MRI has confirmed that Giants running back Saquon Barkley has a torn ACL.

Oh no! My Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey is out 4-6 weeks with a high ankle sprain! Nooooooooooo! We sucked before, now we're really going to suck!

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carson Wentz getting booed with no fans in the stadium is pretty hilarious. I'd like to buy that sound guy a beer.

edited September 22, 2020 12:43PM

Thursday night football will feature the Jaguars vs Dolphins. It will be Gardner Minshew vs Ryan Fitzpatrick. It is already being hailed as "the battle of facial hair". It will be Gardner Minshew's mustache vs Ryan Fitzpatrick's beard. Well, Ryan Fitzpatrick has thrown a shot at Gardner Minshew's mustache.

Ryan Fitzpatrick - "I think the beard is cooler, because guys that grow mustache's have patchy sides."

In the battle of the facial hair, I actually like the Jacksonville Mustaches over the Miami Beards.

My prediction:

Mustaches - 24
    Beards - 16

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bosa brother that plays for the niners is also out for the season.
    The one that plays for the Chargers is an absolute beast and is still healthy and on the loose.
    If you spot the Bosa beast please we ask you do not approach him. Contact the local authorities
    and they will take the appropriate measures to subdue him.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Minshew fires back at Fitzpatrick! It's getting juicy!

Gardner Minshew - "I'll let my mustache speak for itself, but I'm going to have respect for my elders, especially when they're much, much elder."

edited September 23, 2020 3:08AM

Sean Payton and Jon Gruden just got fined $100,000 each for mask violations.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

That’s a huge fine! Relatively speaking compared to vicious late hit type fines 🤷‍♂️

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

That’s a huge fine! Relatively speaking compared to vicious late hit type fines 🤷‍♂️

Yes it is and they got Pete Carroll, Vic Fangio, and Kyle Shanahan with the same fine also for mask violations. They're cracking down bigtime!

Indianapolis Colts linebacker Darius Leonard gave a young fan his gloves after the Vikings game on Sunday, but what Darius Leonard didn't realize is that his wedding ring had slid off his finger and was still inside the glove. Darius later discovered what had happened and figured his wedding ring was gone for good. Luckily, the young fan is honest and sent Darius's wife a message on social media, and told her he had found the ring.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29946501/colts-darius-leonard-give-fan-gloves-wedding-ring-inside

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Yes it is and they got Pete Carroll, Vic Fangio, and Kyle Shanahan with the same fine also for mask violations. They're cracking down bigtime!

I am not sure what the mask issue is with all of these coaches. Its really is no big deal to wear a mask for 4 or 5 hours. i do it every day. but every time the camera pans to the sideline, these guys have their masks pulled down over their chin and are yelling. either you take it seriously or you dont. it seems the NFL is taking it seriously. If I was Goodell, i would issue the warning that after this round of fines, any coach seen on the sideline without a mask would be suspended without pay for 1 game. I bet that would get their attention.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

I am not sure what the mask issue is with all of these coaches. Its really is no big deal to wear a mask for 4 or 5 hours. i do it every day. but every time the camera pans to the sideline, these guys have their masks pulled down over their chin and are yelling. either you take it seriously or you dont. it seems the NFL is taking it seriously. If I was Goodell, i would issue the warning that after this round of fines, any coach seen on the sideline without a mask would be suspended without pay for 1 game. I bet that would get their attention.

I think it’s a caught in the moment habit, I’ve actually taken my mask down to speak out of habit of something blocking my mouth. I understand the NFL’s position though but I don’t think these guys are doing it intentionally

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

mask fines are crap. There are 55 players without a mask standing around the masked coaches :D

turns out the reason tyrod taylor was scratched from the game for chest pains is the idiot team doctor punctured his lung giving him a pain killer shot .

wtf ?

@bronco2078 said:
    turns out the reason tyrod taylor was scratched from the game for chest pains is the idiot team doctor punctured his lung giving him a pain killer shot .

wtf ?

Your joking 😳

@bronco2078 said:
    mask fines are crap. There are 55 players without a mask standing around the masked coaches :D

So true! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

@bronco2078 said:

wtf ?

oh my word! no wonder they were so vague about why he was in the hospital. good grief.

Yes, bronco is right, the doctor was trying to give Tyrod Taylor a painkiller shot for his cracked ribs, and the idiot punctured his lung. Justin Herbert will start for the Chargers Sunday against my kittens.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Yes, bronco is right, the doctor was trying to give Tyrod Taylor a painkiller shot for his cracked ribs, and the idiot punctured his lung. Justin Herbert will start for the Chargers Sunday against my kittens.

Tyrod Taylor as a person is as good as they come. As a quarterback he has had zero luck. Buffalo drafted Allen. Cleveland drafted mayfield. Finally a chance for him to start and the Chargers drafted Herbert.
    My take on Taylor as a quarterback? His favorite play on 3rd and 9 is a 3 yard scramble.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

Tyrod Taylor as a person is as good as they come. As a quarterback he has had zero luck. Buffalo drafted Allen. Cleveland drafted mayfield. Finally a chance for him to start and the Chargers drafted Herbert.
    My take on Taylor as a quarterback? His favorite play on 3rd and 9 is a 3 yard scramble.

he played well against the patriots

My buddy is from Buffalo and they called him T-Mobile

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Carson Wentz getting booed with no fans in the stadium is pretty hilarious. I'd like to buy that sound guy a beer.

Maybe the sound guy has been to enough Philadelphia games to know how the fans show their displeasure. I have heard that Philadelphia fans have booed Santa Claus.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@bronco2078 said:

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

he played well against the patriots

In 2016 Tyrod Taylor had Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins as receivers. He threw a grand total of 19 TD passes that year. 19 to the whole team. 19!! Buffalo scored a grand total of 3 points in the playoff game. I called him Mr. 3 yard scramble.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces The favorite play on 3rd and 9 being a 3 yard scramble is absolutely hilarious

edited September 23, 2020 5:35PM

Ben Roethlisberger will break the record Sunday for most games played for the Steelers. He will break Mike Websters record of 220 games played for the Steelers when he takes the field against the Texans on Sunday. It will be his 221st game played for the Steelers.

Jon Gruden has come up with a nickname for Cam Newton. He calls him "Slam" Newton.

Jon Gruden - "I haven't seen many guys walk through my doors that look like Cam. I call him Slam,
    Slam Newton. That was a name I gave him. He is a power forward playing quarterback. He's oversized for the position, but he's gifted so much athletically."

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 8:40PM

@bronco2078 said:

wtf ?

If that is true, the doctor is looking for a new job.

edited September 24, 2020 9:39AM

We all know Minshew Mania has taken the NFL by storm, but here are a few interesting facts you may not know about Gardner Minshew:

1. He once tried to break his own hand with a hammer. Follow the link to read about that insane story.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/gardner-minshew-once-smashed-his-hand-with-a-hammer-in-attempt-to-play-more-football/7psdhc96m37p1qqqt5d15pawd

1. He exercises in the lockerroom wearing only a jockstrap, shades, and a headband and sometimes he exercises completely nude. And Steve Spurrier has actually walked in on him while he was doing it!!

1. He sleeps on a cheap used $10 mattress that he bought off of Facebook marketplace.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    We all know Minshew Mania has taken the NFL by storm, but here are a few interesting facts you may not know about Gardner Minshew:

1. He once tried to break his own hand with a hammer. Follow the link to read about that insane story.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/gardner-minshew-once-smashed-his-hand-with-a-hammer-in-attempt-to-play-more-football/7psdhc96m37p1qqqt5d15pawd

1. He exercises in the lockerroom wearing only a jockstrap, shades, and a headband and sometimes he exercises completely nude. And Steve Spurrier has actually walked in on him while he was doing it!!

1. He sleeps on a cheap used $10 mattress that he bought off of Facebook marketplace.

I remember the story about trying to break his hand. If he could do it again, maybe he'd try to break his non-throwing hand. That way he wouldn't have risked messing up his grip and he would have been able to maybe put some more elbow grease into it.

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I remember the story about trying to break his hand. If he could do it again, maybe he'd try to break his non-throwing hand. That way he wouldn't have risked messing up his grip and he would have been able to maybe put some more elbow grease into it.

He is a wild man, and he wrestles with big fish and all kinds of crazy stuff.

Minshew t-shirts are selling like hotcakes!

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2020 1:10PM

@Hydrant said:

@bronco2078 said:

wtf ?

If that is true, the doctor is looking for a new job.

I go to the Charger's team docs. Have also gone to Kerkan Jobe docs, who operate on ~ 20% of big name pro athletes from every team in US. Tommy John surgery invented by Dr. Jobe. If you're a big name you go to KJ or the orthos in Colorado (where Kobe went).

Received multiple pain relief injections from each medical group. The Chargers team orthos are every bit as good as KJ docs.

I'm sorry everyone, but the biggest NFL stories I can find right now are Slam Newton and Minshew Jock strap king.

edited September 25, 2020 3:49AM

Well, I was certainly way off with my Beards vs Mustaches pick. On Thursday night football, the Beards stomped the Mustaches 31-13. Fitzmagic had his way with the Jaguars and seemed to be enjoying himself. He completed twelve straight passes at one point, including a pass to himself.
    He also broke a record, the record being that he has now defeated the Jags as the quarterback for the Dolphins, Bengals, Bills, Titans,Texans and Jets. He has beat the Jags as the quarterback for six different teams. He is the Jags' daddy.

edited September 25, 2020 3:46AM

Minshew certainly will have respect for his elders now. Last night, the elder Fitzpatrick had to issue a little discipline to Minshew.
    "Come over here Mustache boy, the Beard is going to teach you about respect for your elders."

Beards - 31
    Mustaches - 13

So the Jags beat Indy week 1 and had a chance to beat Tennessee last week. Miami gives up 500 yards to Buffalo and handles the Jags with ease. Miami defense throttled Jacksonville. Maybe Buffalo is really that good. We’ll see when the Rams come to town Sunday.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:
    So the Jags beat Indy week 1 and had a chance to beat Tennessee last week. Miami gives up 500 yards to Buffalo and handles the Jags with ease. Miami defense throttled Jacksonville. Maybe Buffalo is really that good. We’ll see when the Rams come to town Sunday.

Fitzpatrick is either really good or really bad , If the stars align fitzy can beat anyone but he beats himself at least half the time

He is like an older, bearded version of Josh Allen . The ghost of Josh's future

edited September 25, 2020 9:50AM

That is true, sometimes Ryan Fitzpatrick will light it up and put up huge numbers, and then the next week he'll stink it up. But let's face it, last night was no ordinary game, it was the Facial Hair Bowl, and Fitzpatrick walked away with the Facial Hair Bowl championship, and that's what counts.

Joe Montana and his wife were at their Malibu Ca. home when a female intruder entered the home through an unlocked door and grabbed Joe Montana's grandchild. Here's the full story.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/27/us/joe-montana-kidnapper-confrontation-trnd/index.html

edited September 28, 2020 9:41AM

Cowboys defensive end Trysten Hill is likely to face a fine for this tackle on Seahawks running back Chris Carson in yesterday's game. You can see in this video that when Trysten Hill has a hold of Carson's leg, he does a "gator roll". After the play occured, Chris Carson grabbed his knee in pain. It was determined that Carson has a knee sprain.

Seriously how has Dan Quin not been fired yet?

@perkdog said:
    Seriously how has Dan Quin not been fired yet?

That was horrible yesterday. Just horrible.

Earl Thomas is reportedly closing in on signing a deal with the Houston Texans.

The Montana story was nuts. I wonder if they knew the intruder or if it was totally at random?

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Falcons should serve as a prime example of why no one should ever pile on any team that runs up the score. the object of any game is to win..............whatever it takes. and in the case of Atlanta, a team/organization that clearly does not possess a lick of killer instinct, every single point is needed.

so the next time one of those lame baseball managers bellyaches about the opposition swinging on 3-0 with a 7-run lead in the top of the ninth, try to recall a football team that blew a 28-3 SB lead in the 3rd and also gagged two 15-pt, 4th-quarter leads in the same season for the first time in decades.