Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL latest news

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    As we all know, Miami is benching Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tua will be taking over. Ryan Fitzpatrick has made a statement about his being benched for Tua.

Big, big mistake. Fitz has played well. You know what you’re getting. Tua starts his career against the Aaron Donald? Why not wait until they’re no longer in contention? 3-3 might be just one game out of the 7th spot. Good luck Tua

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:
    As we all know, Miami is benching Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tua will be taking over. Ryan Fitzpatrick has made a statement about his being benched for Tua.

Big, big mistake. Fitz has played well. You know what you’re getting. Tua starts his career against the Aaron Donald? Why not wait until they’re no longer in contention? 3-3 might be just one game out of the 7th spot. Good luck Tua

I've always been a fan of riding the hot hand, and Fitzpatrick is leading the charge right now. I am against this decision as well.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Afaik, it was originally suggested by the doctors for him to sit out this year before playing. He is considered by many to be a guaranteed franchise QB (as opposed to a hit or miss number one pick) and the year off would allow full healing without taking any chances. I fully expected him to hold a clipboard til his 2nd season.

• Options

The Baltimore Ravens plan to sign former Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant to their practice squad. If he passes a physical and things go well, it will probably end in a contract signing.

https://www.nfl.com/news/baltimore-ravens-plan-to-sign-wr-dez-bryant-to-practice-squad

• Options
    edited October 22, 2020 11:15AM

@doubledragon said:
    The Baltimore Ravens plan to sign former Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant to their practice squad. If he passes a physical and things go well, it will probably end in a contract signing.

https://www.nfl.com/news/baltimore-ravens-plan-to-sign-wr-dez-bryant-to-practice-squad

As someone who has followed his pro career from the start, I can honestly say that I will be happy for him if he just gets onto a team for another snap. I'm not saying it will necessarily go well or help the team, I'm just saying that I believe he really wants it.

Edit to add: I guess living in the Dallas area and knowing Dez's story of how he came to be in the NFL, I want to root for the guy. Bryan Broaddus, former NFL scout who is on the radio here, said years ago "“The worst I had ever seen of a background is the kid Dez Bryant".

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

I thought it was a strange time to switch QB's, eventhough Tua is your QB of the next decade. The team appears to be playing well with Fitz, Fitz himself has played well and it's been so long since they have had any continuity at all. We all know the 5 INT game is coming, but give Fitz a chance to ride the wave out instead of going through the inevitable growing pains with Tua.

• Options

The Buffalo Bills against Kansas City last week has two healthy STARTERS scratched. Both on the Defensive Line. KC ran for over 200 yards against a few players called up from the practice squad. In April they signed Quinton Spain 2 a 3 year contract for $15M. This week they cut said player.
    This tells me no matter who you are I you are not playing up to expectations, no matter how big the game is Sean McDermitt won’t tolerate it. It sends a message to the rest of the team this is the culture in Buffalo. I applaud McDermitt and his process. Look for a really mad Bills team against the Jets this week. What a perfect get right game to go into week 8 New England. Bills hang 42 on the Jets. Put the mortgage on it and laugh all the way to the bank.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said: :D
    The Buffalo Bills against Kansas City last week has two healthy STARTERS scratched. Both on the Defensive Line. KC ran for over 200 yards against a few players called up from the practice squad. In April they signed Quinton Spain 2 a 3 year contract for $15M. This week they cut said player.
    This tells me no matter who you are I you are not playing up to expectations, no matter how big the game is Sean McDermitt won’t tolerate it. It sends a message to the rest of the team this is the culture in Buffalo. I applaud McDermitt and his process. Look for a really mad Bills team against the Jets this week. What a perfect get right game to go into week 8 New England. Bills hang 42 on the Jets. Put the mortgage on it and laugh all the way to the bank.

It could turn out to be the ultimate trap game. 🤪😜 But probably not.

• Options

@thisistheshow If it were any other team besides the Jets I’d agree. But it IS the Jets.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Totally forgot about him

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Totally forgot about him

hasn't he been out of football for about 4 years now?

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Totally forgot about him

hasn't he been out of football for about 4 years now?

He tore an Achilles’ tendon in training camp 2018.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
  • Options

There's talk of Antonio Brown signing with Tampa.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    There's talk of Antonio Brown signing with Tampa.

Yep, just saw that online. He's visiting them tomorrow and they may be working out a contract if things go well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30175919/source-antonio-brown-meet-tampa-bay-buccaneers-saturday?platform=amp

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was that because you were the unfortunate bettor? Or was it from the day old leftover Old El Paso tacos? Or prior to that, had you been over indulging on the big batch of Lazy Man's Margarita that you made? 😉

• Options

@countdouglas said:

Was that because you were the unfortunate bettor? Or was it from the day old leftover Old El Paso tacos? Or prior to that, had you been over indulging on the big batch of Lazy Man's Margarita that you made? 😉

Wait, I don't think it was DoubleD who posted that Margarita mix. Wasn't it @clarke442 ? 😎 Or am I mixing things up?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@countdouglas said:

Wait, I don't think it was DoubleD who posted that Margarita mix. Wasn't it @clarke442 ? 😎 Or am I mixing things up?

It was somebody else's recipe, but you gotta know an Old El Paso taco guy like DD would be all in on the Margarita hack, too!

• Options

😂😂 That lazy man's margarita looked delicious! I just might have to grab those ingredients and make a few!

• Options

looks like we're back on the taco and mexican food talk again.

• Options

@JRR300 said:

Tacos talk has spread to the NFL latest news thread.😂😂

• Options
    edited October 23, 2020 5:26PM

🤔

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    🤔

Flagged for 12 men on the field...

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@JRR300 said:

Tacos Talk . It's unstoppable.

Can't stop the spread. :D

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@JRR300 said:

It's only a matter of time before the sports forum becomes a mexican food forum. We can talk about mexican dishes, and swap recipes all day. 😂😂

• Options

Can we diversify and talk about other foods?

• Options

🤔

• Options

If Tampa ever gets their shot together they can be scary good. Their defense is top 5. Right now too many penalties and miss assignments. But if they make a run late Vegas might have been right after all. I sure did doubt their preseason predictions. Division winner? Super Bowl? Thoughts?

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love seeing Tampa Bay going all in for Brady!

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@JRR300 said:

It's only a matter of time before the sports forum becomes a mexican food forum. We can talk about mexican dishes, and swap recipes all day. 😂😂

Keeping my mouth shut this time... probably.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 7:46AM

Antonio Brown to the Bucs = BIG MISTAKE
    I think this is second chance #4 if he's signed.

Would you want this guy on your team???
    Source: New York Post

The rape allegations against New England Patriots wide receiver Antonio Brown are just the latest in a recent string of off-field drama and legal incidents involving the All-Pro known around the league as “AB.”

Here’s a look at some of the lowlights:

January 2017
    Brown secretly streams the Steelers’ post-game celebration after a playoff win over the Kansas City Chiefs, in violation of league policy. He was reportedly fined $10,000 for the stunt.

October 2018
    Brown is named in a civil lawsuit alleging that he tossed furniture off the balcony of his 14-story apartment in Sunny Isles, Florida, narrowly missing a 22-month-old boy.

November 2018
    Brown is cited for reckless driving outside of Pittsburgh, where he was clocked speeding more than 100 mph just hours before the Steelers took on the Carolina Panthers.

February
    The mother of one of Brown’s children told police in Florida that the wideout pushed her to the ground after she wouldn’t let him close the front door. NFL officials at the time promised to investigate the incident, which did not end in Brown’s arrest.

July
    Celebrity chef Stefano Tedeschi sued Brown in Florida over an unpaid tab of $38,521, TMZ reported. An attorney for Brown declined to comment on the allegations, but said the NFL star would contest them.

July
    Brown shows up to Raiders’ training camp in a hot-air balloon after signing a restructured contract including $30 million in guaranteed money. Despite the dramatic arrival, Brown claimed he was unable to practice due to frostbite on his feet after getting cryotherapy in France.

August
    Brown’s former personal trainer, Sean Pena, sued Brown for $7,194 for unpaid services. An attorney for Brown insisted to TMZ that Pena was paid in full.

Sept. 4
    A frustrated Brown posted on Instagram a letter from Oakland general manager Mike Mayock notifying him of more than $53,000 in fines due to missing practices for not being able to wear his old helmet.

Sept. 7
    The Raiders cut ties with Brown before he ever played a game for the team. The move comes just hours after Brown demanded his release in a heavily produced video.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm sitting here this morning trying to wrap my mind around what Brady card prices will be like if he wins a title with the Bucs

i shudder at the thought, really

and since this NFL banter is morphing into a cuisine discussion, here's a little Pasta Mardi Gras last night from my fav restaurant in the universe -- Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen

linguine, crawfish, andouille sausage, cremini mushrooms, marinara cream sauce, jumbo grilled shrimp

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    i'm sitting here this morning trying to wrap my mind around what Brady card prices will be like if he wins a title with the Bucs

i shudder at the thought, really

and since this NFL banter is morphing into a cuisine discussion, here's a little Pasta Mardi Gras last night from my fav restaurant in the universe -- Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen

linguine, crawfish, andouille sausage, cremini mushrooms, marinara cream sauce, jumbo grilled shrimp

Oh my!!!!

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

galadeux- Are you sure your favorite team isn't the Saints.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot, don't concern yourself with Brady winning anymore Super Bowls. Isn't happening.
    HIs time has come and gone, kind of like Montana when he went to the Chiefs. Still good, but not good enough.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I forgot, don't concern yourself with Brady winning anymore Super Bowls. Isn't happening.
    HIs time has come and gone, kind of like Montana when he went to the Chiefs. Still good, but not good enough.

a Tampa-KC SB would probably reel in the highest ratings ever

• Options

@2dueces said:
    If Tampa ever gets their shot together they can be scary good. Their defense is top 5. Right now too many penalties and miss assignments. But if they make a run late Vegas might have been right after all. I sure did doubt their preseason predictions. Division winner? Super Bowl? Thoughts?

I agree. More cohesion plus more discipline combined with health would mean a really strong team can roll into the playoffs.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2020 9:38AM

Brady was so enamored with the idea of AB being a Patriot that he had Brown stay at his house. Brady also told people that AB did things in practice he had never seen other than Randy Moss.

So Tom really wants to play with the guy.

Edit for spelling

• Options

@Darin said:

:D 🐐

• Options

Oh my. Bruce Arians has a message for Antonio Brown, and that message is simple: "Be a team player, or be gone."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/25/bruce-arians-to-antonio-brown-be-a-team-player-or-be-gone/amp/

• Options

Fun day in the NFL yesterday. Some great finishes.
    Steelers-Titans
    Browns - Bengals
    Cardinals- Seahawks
    Lions-Falcons
    Saints-Panthers

If you have a heart condition you couldn’t watch the above.

Some real stinkers. Patriots, Cowboys and yes even the Bills first half. Jets had 9 total yards in the 2nd half.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Antonio Brown to the Bucs = BIG MISTAKE
    I think this is second chance #4 if he's signed.

Would you want this guy on your team???
    Source: New York Post

The rape allegations against New England Patriots wide receiver Antonio Brown are just the latest in a recent string of off-field drama and legal incidents involving the All-Pro known around the league as “AB.”

Here’s a look at some of the lowlights:

January 2017
    Brown secretly streams the Steelers’ post-game celebration after a playoff win over the Kansas City Chiefs, in violation of league policy. He was reportedly fined $10,000 for the stunt.

October 2018
    Brown is named in a civil lawsuit alleging that he tossed furniture off the balcony of his 14-story apartment in Sunny Isles, Florida, narrowly missing a 22-month-old boy.

November 2018
    Brown is cited for reckless driving outside of Pittsburgh, where he was clocked speeding more than 100 mph just hours before the Steelers took on the Carolina Panthers.

February
    The mother of one of Brown’s children told police in Florida that the wideout pushed her to the ground after she wouldn’t let him close the front door. NFL officials at the time promised to investigate the incident, which did not end in Brown’s arrest.

July
    Celebrity chef Stefano Tedeschi sued Brown in Florida over an unpaid tab of $38,521, TMZ reported. An attorney for Brown declined to comment on the allegations, but said the NFL star would contest them.

July
    Brown shows up to Raiders’ training camp in a hot-air balloon after signing a restructured contract including $30 million in guaranteed money. Despite the dramatic arrival, Brown claimed he was unable to practice due to frostbite on his feet after getting cryotherapy in France.

August
    Brown’s former personal trainer, Sean Pena, sued Brown for $7,194 for unpaid services. An attorney for Brown insisted to TMZ that Pena was paid in full.

Sept. 4
    A frustrated Brown posted on Instagram a letter from Oakland general manager Mike Mayock notifying him of more than $53,000 in fines due to missing practices for not being able to wear his old helmet.

Sept. 7
    The Raiders cut ties with Brown before he ever played a game for the team. The move comes just hours after Brown demanded his release in a heavily produced video.

he never actually did anything to get cut by the patriots but he did call Handi Kraft a pervert after he was out.

How stupid are the patriots to hire and fire that guy in 10 days ?

Either don't bring him in at all or don't cut him after writing a check for 10 million

they could have given the 10 million to the GOAT and he'd still be here . Or spent the 10 million and hired a GM to relieve the idiot that has been drafting for the team for the last 10 years

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not enough "Lazy Man Margaritas" to wipe out the memory of that Patriots game !
    AND
    The Tampa Bay game was blacked out on TV !

ps Sorry to add to the "Taco/Mexican Food" derailment of this thread

• Options

Odell Beckham is out for the season with a torn ACL.

• Options

Washington's Jon Bostic will not be suspended any games for yesterdays hit on Andy Dalton, but is expected to be fined.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Washington's Jon Bostic will not be suspended any games for yesterdays hit on Andy Dalton, but is expected to be fined.

Saw the hit while watching the game. aa cheap a shot as you will ever see. And the league who is now preaching player safety, no helmet to helmet, don't even tough the QB, etc doesn't feel a hit like this deserves a suspension! What kind of message are you sending. But I'd bet a million bucks if that hit was to a higher profile QB, there would have been one.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

he is ginger so the penalties offset B)

• Options

🤔