Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

August 2020 Purchases, Show them off!

NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough early 1990's Pinnacle Griffey. Searching forever to find something 9 or higher (only 5 higher stashed away in collections).
Takes me to just over 80% complete 177/221 in my Griffey Basic set! LINK

Comments

• dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    Tough early 1990's Pinnacle Griffey. Searching forever to find something 9 or higher (only 5 higher stashed away in collections).
    Takes me to just over 80% complete 177/221 in my Griffey Basic set! LINK

That is a nice set!

Jason

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is kind of neat! My parents are moving out of their house and they’ve been die hard twins fans. In one of our boxes I found our unopened 1987 wheaties box celebrating the 87 word series champions! Still has the wheaties inside! Going in my collection now!
    Does the BBCE actually wrap something like this if I sent it to be wrapped?

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    A couple of postcard pickups arrived this week. First is a 1993 Bernie Williams

Second is probably my favorite Roger Maris card, 1968 AAMCO sponsored 6x9 postcard

The background of that Maris postcard looked familiar to me:

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coarsegold said:

Added everyone's favorite Hall of Famer to my boys HOF RC Collection.

your nine has better centering then the psa 9 i have of baines.

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Low EDITION (50 copies made) Playoff Contenders Fitz ROOKIE.

Back from Auto Grading and a PSA POP 2.

what a great looking card!

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    Love the 72 Ryan’s and I love seeing every Griffey posted.

I bought 2 collections over the past 2 months and have been elbows deep with every spare moment going through to organize, submit and figure out exactly what I have. I am not a big auto collector but one had a great deal of autos in it certified and in person. Here are some of the in person ones I hope pan out as legit.

I am not presenting myself as an expert here, but most look pretty close to what I would expect them to look like.

I am not liking the Appling and Bell cards though. They just seem a little too "flowing". Bell signatures are usually very tight and small.

And...

That Puckett just looks horrible to me. It looks nothing like any of his autographs I own or have seen and given that card is 1996 time frame, I would assume any signature on a card than new would look like the typical Puckett were all all used to seeing. if it were early in his career, maybe I could buy that as an early signature if there were others that were close.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I wanted to start this set a long time and never did. Then a thread resurfaced and it got me thinking about it again. Don’t think I can do the full 91 card set so I just started with the Heisman winners. First three came today and then I also got a Bob Lily because it just looked too good.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Finally knocked off the quartet.

Great job!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:

@rexvos said:
    Love the 72 Ryan’s and I love seeing every Griffey posted.

I bought 2 collections over the past 2 months and have been elbows deep with every spare moment going through to organize, submit and figure out exactly what I have. I am not a big auto collector but one had a great deal of autos in it certified and in person. Here are some of the in person ones I hope pan out as legit.

I am not presenting myself as an expert here, but most look pretty close to what I would expect them to look like.

I am not liking the Appling and Bell cards though. They just seem a little too "flowing". Bell signatures are usually very tight and small.

And...

That Puckett just looks horrible to me. It looks nothing like any of his autographs I own or have seen and given that card is 1996 time frame, I would assume any signature on a card than new would look like the typical Puckett were all all used to seeing. if it were early in his career, maybe I could buy that as an early signature if there were others that were close.

I appreciate the feedback. We will see what happens to them. I am most doubtful of the Puckett. The Bell looked pretty rigid to me at the first glance. Like I said autos are not my typical game but the rest of the deal was a slam dunk for me.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

debating on cracking and sending to PSA or leave it as is. not sure why I decided I needed another one but whatever.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave. And get yourself an etopps rc. They are starting to follow suit as the Lebron.

@blurryface said:
    Leave. And get yourself an etopps rc. They are starting to follow suit as the Lebron.

my brother, im way ahead of you. picked up most when they were cheap as could be over the past year. you should see my Wades.....

myslabs.to/smzcards

wouldnt say way ahead. ;)

sitting on 63 of them. $11.53 highest paid. most of them at $6.

more lucky breaks & what the kids like to refer to these days as “bangers”:

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another nice 61 auto.

todays delivery

myslabs.to/smzcards

• TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Just got this scanned ...figured Id show it off....even though its in the wrong slab. Pop1...none higher.

• 84ToppsCollector84ToppsCollector Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited August 5, 2020 6:46PM

Just some fun unopened from the last couple weeks...below

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Quite a few Jordan's surfaced for sale during the Documentary so have a few to share.

Here is a POP (1 of 5) PSA 10

Amazing how they now found the light of day. That is a beauty!

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2020 9:19AM

@NGS428 - Thanks!! Got some fun one's to share. A few were in old holder's and have been sent off to re-holder so may be a bit before I get them back. One I sent off for re-holdering is a beautiful 1990's POP 5 PSA 10 and I only paid $56 for it!!

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2020 9:27AM

@UFFDAH said:
    @NGS428 - Thanks!! Got some fun one's to share. A few were in old holder's and have been sent off to re-holder so may be a bit before I get them back. One I sent off for re-holdering is a beautiful 1990's POP 5 PSA 10 and I only paid $56 for it!!

How much are they charging for a reholder these days?

$56 for a pop 5 MJ sounds like a steal in this frenzy!

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 - mostly paying $8 to re-holder unless it's a big card.