Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

August 2020 Purchases, Show them off!

Comments

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    I hadn't been picking up much during the run up the past few months, other than some precious metals, but got the bug again and started grabbing some items several days ago. I got this from a guy who ran a graphics company and requested some holographic samples from 3M in 1991. Just so happens it's a sticker that was used for the 1991 Pro Set Arnold Palmer Award Hologram insert. Black adhesive back on a clear plastic backing ...

It makes sense, but I never realized these Pro Set Holograms were stickers or have any clue who made them for Pro Set.

This is REALLY cool ! I love finding random things that were related to card production.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat - I'm thinking about dumping my 8.5 that never gains value and buy more guns. I have 100+ but you can never have too many is my motto......???

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great example and I have studied that card (56 Mantle) for about 7 years since I got back into collecting graded cards again. You are correct in that it never gains value in an 8 ($8-10k) or 8.5 ($13-16.5k) the last few years. A couple of years ago a Mantle 8.5 from 1956 or 1957 would have turned into a bidding war, but today they seem to sell well but nothing crazy. Plus you can never go wrong with guns either. I am looking to add another one as well - carry a different CCL like a S&W M&P shield or maybe a Benelli Super Black Eagle for shooting clays.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcadams said:
    This is REALLY cool ! I love finding random things that were related to card production.

Thanks! Me too, I was pretty excited to run across it and had to have it when I saw it.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

Sweet cards being shown-- nice !!! With a recent Jan sub poppage came this one down to just 6 or 7 left to complete his 1998 HR History slab run. Once I do will get PSA to create the set so I can upload it to the registry ( went looking didn't see this set specifically for Mac yet)

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Love me some Unbrella Academy! All autos from the season one set.

Jason

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 more Mothers day added my 7th

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options

Tatis Jr

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium = I remember a dealer at the old Gloria Rothstein shows had tons of those and many other Premiums and regional /specialty photos and disc sets. Wish I could find mine and compare to what your showing. Do your remember that dealers name by chance? I'm sure you probably went to Yonkers as well to scope it out. I also did a lot of Gem & Jewelry shows of hers also with the then girlfriend ,now wife at various locales she went to. Loved those shows !! Traveled all the way from Mass the full 3 hrs. Made a day out of it. If Eddie Silard was open would pop into his store in Greenwich on the way down.

Anyways speaking of discs some supersize PC items I've held 40+ years finally being slabbed.
    Not the biggest slab in my PC but it is fairly large ( 4 inch wide by 7 inch tall)
    Glad to see some discs I've toted around forever remain in decent shape :s

Adding them to the Papa Ginos Red Sox I slabbed a while ago.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium = I remember a dealer at the old Gloria Rothstein shows had tons of those and many other Premiums and regional /specialty photos and disc sets. Wish I could find mine and compare to what your showing. Do your remember that dealers name by chance? I'm sure you probably went to Yonkers as well to scope it out. I also did a lot of Gem & Jewelry shows of hers also with the then girlfriend ,now wife at various locales she went to. Loved those shows !! Traveled all the way from Mass the full 3 hrs. Made a day out of it. If Eddie Silard was open would pop into his store in Greenwich on the way down.

Anyways speaking of discs some supersize PC items I've held 40+ years finally being slabbed.
    Not the biggest slab in my PC but it is fairly large ( 4 inch wide by 7 inch tall)
    Glad to see some discs I've toted around forever remain in decent shape :s

Adding them to the Papa Ginos Red Sox I slabbed a while ago.

Jeff,

Great cards! I do not recall the name of that dealer but I do recall the old Yonkers shows having some really great tables and being in awe of the sheer magnitude of Yankees ‘stuff’ and made a handful of those shows over the years chasing cardboard.

I don’t think we knew how good we had it; card shops everywhere, big shows every weekend and prices that make me want to create a time machine just to punch my younger self in nuts anytime I passed on an epic once in a lifetime card because I thought I’d find another at a better price...

Thanks for the kind words.

Best,

Tim

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

As a Mets fan I’m lovin that Donruss Straw

Another Tatis Rc

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kcherevka said:
    I originally found a seller with these 1978 Steelers Team Sheets uncut with the intention of cutting them up to send in for grading. I liked them so much that I couldn't bring myself to cut them. So when I saw a full 64 card hand-cut set pop up, I was all over it! A few of these will be submitted with the next group sub. The Bradshaw will definitely fill a hole in my master set. The others will fit nicely in my personal collection. Just posting a couple pics but let me know if you want to see others.

Great find! I love these.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2020 8:38AM

@MLBdays nice card! Sheffield had some solid years for my Brewers!

For me, tough time choosing between the 89 bowman tiffany and the 89 fleer glossy.... I am leaning a bit toward the Bowman.

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options

@brad31 said:

With managed payments and sales tax think there is enough incentive for us to all make more deals on here.

Well said.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Awesome looking cards everyone. Love scrolling thru this post seeing everyone’s additions

2 really young and talented players in my mailbox this afternoon

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rookiecardfan said:
    Awesome looking cards everyone. Love scrolling thru this post seeing everyone’s additions

2 really young and talented players in my mailbox this afternoon

full w soto. nice.

• Options

@lilmule

Just wow all around. Nicely done!

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

lilmule won the thread.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilmule - Great Rose Rookie!! Congratz!!

• Options

Wow beautiful Rose Rc !

Tough to follow that awesome card with this modern stuff but here goes

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    @lilmule nice Rose rookie! Sharp!

I documented this in my grade run thread, but just got this addition scanned in.. POP 4, may very well be the only one in existence. Who keeps a 3.5 slabbed, I do. :o

Forgive me for asking but, what’s even wrong with it?

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2020 5:08PM

@Rofles hard to tell from the scan, but there is a crease on the back about a 1/3 way down all the way across LH to RH. Some marks of some type on the top left border and by the word experience on the back. Centering is off. Still presents well for a 3.5 in my book.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Back from BBCE Authentication/Wrapping!! ROBERTO CLEMENTE 1973 Rack!!

Enjoy this video of the Legend!! [https://bing.com/videos/search?q=roberto+clemente&&view=detail&mid=91EC362ED7A791E7976F91EC362ED7A791E7976F&&FORM=VDRVRV]

WOW! Always love seeing what you pick up!