Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

August 2020 Purchases, Show them off!

Comments

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exciting mail day! Got to add a little to my 1968 All-Star subset (as mint as possible) And a couple others!

• Options
    rookiecardfanrookiecardfan Posts: 46 ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2020 12:13PM

This may be it for me on the Soto Rc’s. Too many other cards I’d love to get

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added another 71 for my team set

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options

@NGS428 said:
    One more I acquired from a fellow Griffey collector. Purple Star Ad Card for my 1987-1989 showcase.
    https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/showcase/album/4007

Just curious why they will grade this but not star basketball?

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@uncbuddha said:

@NGS428 said:
    One more I acquired from a fellow Griffey collector. Purple Star Ad Card for my 1987-1989 showcase.
    https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/showcase/album/4007

Just curious why they will grade this but not star basketball?

Good question. I am not up on the star basketball cards, so I couldn’t tell you. All I know is that there are about 40 different star cards PSA grades just for Griffey from 1988 to 1989 alone...

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

So much for buying mostly raw. A BGS slab isn't my first choice and that bottom right corner is definitely dinged but this one is still a beauty!

Jason

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

This 1960 Post Cereal is probably my favorite Mantle card.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judgebuck said:
    This 1960 Post Cereal is probably my favorite Mantle card.

Great get, @judgebuck

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an August purchase per se but an August discovery - found in a lot of “junk” graded bkb I bought last year and never went through.

Any idea how successful BCCG is for crossovers?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    Not an August purchase per se but an August discovery - found in a lot of “junk” graded bkb I bought last year and never went through.

Somewhere between slim and none. Remember that BCCG has a different grading scale so it is not a 10/10 per se. Minus any surface scratches and taking centering into account you are probably looking at a PSA 9 at best.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

Scanning more of the Jumbos that came back. First a comment about the sub "surprises". I know how to handle and take care of my stuff. This being said-- sometimes I'm in a rush and may not check what I need to check before something leaves.
    But rest assured- I'm NOT going to miss blatant dings, dents, or large scratches. This outta the way these 3 were the "surprises".

The Ruth Panarizon developed an indent somewhere between here and Santa Ana by his rear leg. Not seen by me when mailed. I certainly don't remember that indent when mailed. This card I know I did not check. Lesson learned- check ALL your stuff multiple times no matter if your in a rush or not. Scan it all in high res and overprotect it . The item is a Pop 1 , just a PSA 7 is higher so no biggie. I'll try again with one of the 6 or 7 Panarizon sitting here.

The Nomar was in a soft CS4 sleeve. The only 1 of all the stuff I mailed. Lesson learned there- don't use CS4 when the rest are all in hard plastics.

The Munson has an indent roughly in a spot similar to the Ruth as if something droppe d on it . Didn't leave this apartment that way and that's all I'll say. You can bet next subs going in with a) double the thickness protection wise and b) high res scans and c) pics of the pack out protections. Going to fully prove IF I see what I see on this occurs again I'll expect it to be dealt with professionally once proof is shown of the received condition. See Ruth comments-- going to overprotect the next supersize subs.

Munson I have tons of as that was part of my Red Sox PC ( has Bernie Carbo so I have quite a few). If your doing a run of his well I just somehow got the lowest of 38 back :(

Have lots more coming I am scanning. Some as expected, some test runs to teach me low grade expectations, and a " best I can do, fresh from a pack ,something to smile about".

• Options
    edited August 22, 2020 3:55PM

Next were some test runs to see how harshly corners, edges, and surface would be treated. These are the "as expected" items that came back. No surprises just expected stuff.

Joltin Joe is a Pop 4 with lots higher ,no biggie, resale or trade fodder to finance future subs.

Hammering Hank as expected- always appreciated the Henry tags as the respectfulness of it resonates here
    PSA is very tough on the corners and edges and once again showed. resale / trade fodder once again
    Pop 1 in 6.5 tons higher graded

Yaz thought I'd sold all his cards years ago still finding stuff. Resale / trade fodder also
    Small corner flipped ( again don't remember that there)
    Pop 3 just 3 higher. The rest I have are in much better shape. See if I can keep that way

More to follow including the best of the first batch back. Couple are PC and 1 for resale.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

I think the saying for BCCG used to be Buy assuming it is a regular 7 and hope it comes back an 8? I was on the board when BCCG started. My brain may be making up stories, but I do recall someone bought a few BCCG 10 and submitted. I thought most of them came back 7/8, couple 9s, and I think even one made it into a 10. For modern you may have a better chance pulling a 9, the surface on chrome cards is what knocks down most of them down.

Mike
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

Best advice I can give you is crack it out. I've had a lot of success from buying BCCG 10's and cracking them out before sending to PSA. I would say I'm 8/10 in doing that method. Good Luck, the VC looks really nice.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:

@Nathaniel1960 said:

Best advice I can give you is crack it out. I've had a lot of success from buying BCCG 10's and cracking them out before sending to PSA. I would say I'm 8/10 in doing that method. Good Luck, the VC looks really nice.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be sure to give the board an update if I crack it.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigMike79 said:

A batboy card!

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw in a facebook group where someone has lined up Leonard Garcia (The Bat Boy) for a private signing, the first ever. If anyone were to want Garcia to sign the card, sounds like here is a chance. $15 was the price I recall. Seems high for a nobody, but it is him on the card after all.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really like those Seaver and Drysdale rookies. Congrats to both of you on great pickups.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigMike79 said:

Finally got a the Seaver i always wanted

Huge respect for anyone who follows a Seaver psa 8 stunner with a Morris Lukowich 79 OPC. That’s a collectors mind right there. Great cards, all.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pumped up about this pick up.

2013 Panini Golden Age Black Aqueous Thomas "Hitman" Hearns. This card is a 1/1 which means only 1 of these will ever exist.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    Did a show this weekend. Lots of tables. Lots of cards. I get antsy and buy things when I have cash

A few of the better raw pickups.

Some of the graded stuff

Bought a few other odds and ends as well. Sorry for the crappy pics on the the first pic. Poor lighting in the hotel room.

These are better than cash!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

That die cut Jordan is amazing!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx D, congrats on finding such a rare card for your PC. It's always a thrill to land one of those for a player collection!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

Can't decide which I like more the Jordan card = or the quality of that nail job B)
    Awesome adds folks- always amazed by several peoples additions !!

Got a fix back ( was labeled as a refractor but was just the base card)and added it to my Nomar registry and the rest were the last part of Box 1 of the supersize subs that just returned. Going to take me forever to scan em all. The Nomar/Walker is a current Pop 1 (Chrome that year was horrible quality).

The Griffey # 2 is a Pop 1 highest graded. Only 2 so far slabbed of the #2 version
    He has another Jumbo in that set #9 which has a PSA 9 and Gem 10
    These you just have to get lucky when taking it out of the boxes.

,'

I also got in some Jumbo Nomar's I have yet to scan will do so when I can

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added this today , nice addition to my HOF auto set

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭