Home Precious Metals

̶$̶1̶9̶0̶0̶ ̶$̶2̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶$̶2̶5̶0̶0̶ ̶$̶5̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶$̶1̶8̶0̶0̶ ̶$̶1̶9̶0̶0̶ $1800 Gold??

blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 15, 2022 7:42AM in Precious Metals

It's happening!!!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

Comments

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excelsior!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we’ll see 2k by December given the performance lately. 👍

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

If covid rears up big again, to the point that people are made to NOT work again and stay at home again, I think $2000 would be foregone conclusion. I'm holding some for that (and, if it doesn't happen, I'm ok holding it for a few years more anyway....just using it to pay for my kid's college tuition for the next 4 years).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it !!! 👍

Timbuk3
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Good that there is some skepticism here about what direction gold will go from here. Yes, it can go higher, but it could stay around this level. There have been many instances of what may have looked like the beginning of a bull run, but it did not materialize. COVID-19 and the aftermath may sound like indicators that typically drive gold up, but we will see.

I just want remind everyone that the Savings and Loan scandal in 1987(?), or around that time, did hardly anything to gold which hovered around $400/oz. During the recession of the early 1990s that was quite severe as it took a toll on the housing market (even in California) and resulted in a one term president, gold maintained $400/oz throughout and even declined as the economy kicked up in the late 1990s.

Gold is close to reaching its previous high of about $1900 back in 2011. With all these years of inflation taken into a account, just matching a previous high is actually a net loss.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suspect there will be quite a bit of resistance around the $2k mark but if and when she gets past that no telling how high it can go. $2.5K?, $3K, $4K?, $5K?, $10K? We live in a world that had $20K bitcoins for crying out loud.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

For sure!

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

I remember meeting CaptHenway at Harlan Berk for the first time on the day gold first crossed $1,400.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing is definite at this point....but just looking at the entire picture (virus, economy, politics), it would seem that gold at $2K is likely....and silver did hit $23.00 for a brief moment this morning. If it hits 2K, buyers will be screaming for gold....Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

The President's nominee for the Federal Reserve Board just cleared a Senate committee on a party-line vote. She has expressed support in the past for a return to the Gold Standard. Whether she will pass the full Senate or not remains to be seen.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

$1870

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    The President's nominee for the Federal Reserve Board just cleared a Senate committee on a party-line vote. She has expressed support in the past for a return to the Gold Standard. Whether she will pass the full Senate or not remains to be seen.

It's her present leanings that matter and if she wasn't in line with her nominator who wants green numbers in every TV ticker, she would not have been nominated.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

she is off that thought

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • alexercaalexerca Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

$1900 will be here within 2 weeks on the outside! Been waiting for this since 2005!

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 11:45AM

Gold is close to reaching its previous high of about $1900 back in 2011. With all these years of inflation taken into a account, just matching a previous high is actually a net loss.

>
    Not if you bought gold at anytime in 2013 to 2018 (as well as from 1983-2009). Appears everyone thinks gold stackers never sell anything at peaks, and don't buy back former positions at cyclical lows. You think the stock market works the same way? Buy only.........Never sell, except at the end of a crushing decline such as in Oct 2008, June 2013, Dec 2015. I'm sure that's the MSM view of things. Gold, silver, rare coins, and collectibles never change their spots. They stay the same. Yet stock market indexes change all the time. The Dow from 20, 50, 100 yrs ago looks nothing like today. So to compare any precious metal or collectible to a varying basket of stocks that changes annually is not good analysis. You need to ensure the baskets stay 100% comparable. Even the Govt's CPI index doesn't stay comparable. It has been horribly corrupted and altered since the late 1980's. Fortunately, gold eventually sniffs all that index corruption out and eventually reaches the correct price to balance those things out again.

Gold has many specific drivers such as real interest rates, sovereign debt, currencies, faith in governments, political tensions (short term only), etc. But there's no sure thing whether inflation or deflation is brewing....gold has prospered frequently in either environment. Last time I looked, gold drivers DO NOT include CoVid19, the FLU, the Savings and Loan scandal, SoCal housing prices, rare coin prices, etc.

If you're holding gold as just a profit medium, you're probably in the wrong game though for shorter term windows it's a nice game to play. It's really an insurance policy and/or hedge against other competing factors in the economy/world. Funny thing, I've paid housing insurance to USAA now for 25 yrs. Never once filing a claim. Boy, what a waste of money that has been.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

roadrunner,

I agree with what you are saying, my only point was that based on inflation alone, with gold being a hedge against it, the price increase is not surprising and to match its previous high in real dollars would not be $1900 but far beyond it ($2500?, $3000?). There are a lot of variables out there that influence gold directly and indirectly, so exact predictions are difficult, but general trends can be derived with reasonable probability, but this is not my field of expertise. I stayed away from gold when it reached its last apex as I try to buy when its lower, which I did, and now looking to see an adequate time to sell.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alexerca said:
    $1900 will be here within 2 weeks on the outside! Been waiting for this since 2005!

Did you miss it in 2011?

Collector, occasional seller

methinks today

edited July 23, 2020 8:20AM

or maybe reality to set in. . .

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1896...

Collector, occasional seller

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

GOLD$1,903.7336.12

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    I think we’ll see 2k by December given the performance lately. 👍

Depending and I hope it's right there

1901 and upward ho...

Today could be the day. These are certainly historic times for the metal of kings. Enjoy the ride my brothers and sisters!

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

Time to edit the title...

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is upon us

It's all about what the people want...

• 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

Boom

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we’ll see that all time high today. 😄👍

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been between $1905 and $1903 for the last hour or so.... Cheers, RickO

@taxmad said:
    Time to edit the title...

No doubt. Done.

Wonder if the spike to $1943 was real or just a glitch?

• dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I saw that too. I wonder if Gold 2000 and Silver 25 is going to happen by weeks end. I suspect the stimulus package to be announced this week (2 trillion) could push it there.

GOLD$1,923.35 yea baby...

• alexercaalexerca Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@alexerca said:

Did you miss it in 2011?

No I did not! I told my sister if she was not in for the long haul to sell now! I just didn't think the long haul would be 11 years but saying h that I have $1100 gold and more of it then most large dealers. I am selling half at $2500 which will make a small profit then I will have large amount of of $0 gold which I am keeping. Never needed the money anyhow! My insurance policy!

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

With such strong moves... hard to know what level to buy or sell at.

----- kj
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

Just wait until the Robinhood crowd discovers gold. If they can pump a bankrupt car rental company up 300% - imagine what they will do for gold....

Maybe the Merry Men can pump hard enough for gold to catch Palladium.

• roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Congrats to all holding the yellow metal! Im with @tincup it's hard to know when to buy and or sell?

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1946.01 up $38.76

edited July 26, 2020 8:39PM

@taxmad said:
    Just wait until the Robinhood crowd discovers gold. If they can pump a bankrupt car rental company up 300% - imagine what they will do for gold....

Not many leveraged options with gold or silver on Robinhood. Opened an account and went with some UGL and AGQ. These appear to be the best plays for rising gold and silver prices respectively. Let's hope taxman is right, if not I'm sending him a bill.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

Wonder if the spike to $1943 was real or just a glitch?

Manipulation.

Wait, didn't read the replies, did someone already say it? 🤔

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

>

Not many leveraged options with gold or silver on Robinhood. Opened an account and went with some UGL and AGQ. These appear to be the best plays for rising gold and silver prices respectively. Let's hope taxman is right, if not I'm sending him a bill.

You really don't want leveraged etf's, they're a bad idea for playing the long term trends because of their decay in any of their instruments. If you want to leverage a bit, first go to the major miners. If you want to leverage more, go down to the juniors and you can get pretty small. Further leverage than that, exploration/royalty companies. Slv should outperform gld(both up and down). If you really want potential crazy leverage, junior silver miners are tough to beat and then can play OOM options on them for a 10x factor.

My largest gains(over 2,000%) are from options that were OOM on SILJ that are now deep ITM for NOV expiry as it was the farthest out I could get at the time. Theta decay and IV now irrelevent to me on them with those gains, will convert to shares. I just got Jan expiries that are over double and should add another 30-50% tomorrow. GDXJ if want to play gold juniors and look at the constituents on both.

Like I own Yamana(AUY) directly and they were up over 8% on Friday after reporting earnings and have zero worries on decay. Could always option them out or any others but think most people should avoid touching any option.

thanks, but I want leveraged for these particular PM plays. Well aware of the risks and costs.

To da moon!!!

Amazing times we are living in.

1950 this am.

edited July 27, 2020 5:19AM

Spike at $1975 or perhaps another "glitch" lol

This discussion has been closed.