Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Halves are my territory. Thought I would take a shot. I will let the quarter guys take over🙂

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are the two '07 S/S varieties that I'm aware of:

The above variety is the FS recognized by PCGS.

The above variety is the one I recently posted not recognized by PCGS. The coin is currently at PCGS for crossover without variety attribution (since PCGS won't acknowledge it). I'm sure this variety has been previously discovered, but digital photography is now making it possible to document the odd stuff and share it with others.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Tim will get this the moment he looks at it.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2020 4:44PM

All that I know of the 07-S/S haves I have owned have rabbit ears on the top...AKA 2 Points sticking up from the top. I don't see that in either of yours

Edit to add...LOL I see you are talking about Quarters! You know I only have Halves on my mind! :#

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here are the two '07 S/S varieties that I'm aware of:

The above variety is the FS recognized by PCGS.

The above variety is the one I recently posted not recognized by PCGS. The coin is currently at PCGS for crossover without variety attribution (since PCGS won't acknowledge it). I'm sure this variety has been previously discovered, but digital photography is now making it possible to document the odd stuff and share it with others.

• Options

Darrell- There are these smaller orbs called Quarters.....

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I waited all day for someone else to reply.... it's a '92 S/s quarter?QQ!

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

92-S

Rob
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

1892S due to position of mint mark

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Tim will get this the moment he looks at it.

Yep, Jeff is right, this is a new variety for the '07- S over S quarter just recently acknowledged by Steve Husted. At some point John Frost will want to see it in hand I am sure.

• Options

The coin is indeed a '92 S/S Quarter. Good detective work! Here's the rest of the coin (it arrived raw in the mail yesterday):

It' a Type 1 Reverse and will be sent off to PCGS soon. It looks like a XF45 to me.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    The coin is indeed a '92 S/S Quarter. Good detective work! Here's the rest of the coin (it arrived raw in the mail yesterday):

It' a Type 1 Reverse and will be sent off to PCGS soon. It looks like a XF45 to me.

Of all my '92-P, O, and S mint marks, the 1892-S Type 1 I have had a difficult time locating. Tough coin.

• Options
    edited April 20, 2020 2:57PM

Lenny and Milo helped me with this upgrade. Thanks guys. Continuously going after a PC40 set. I am of the opinion this is a really nice 1896-P PC40 BQ... just about as close to perfect as it gets for this grade level:

• Tim

• Options

Yep Tim, that's a great looking '96 Quarter.

On to the Liberty Nickel channel- a '96 in a PC63 holder:

Look how slanted the date is (from the rim). I wonder if they're all this way?

• Options

For comparison, look how straight the date is to the rim on my '85 PC58 Nickel:

Something else to study when I have time.....

• Options

That '96 is a nice looking one for sure Tim! The nickels are superb Jeff! To my eye the last part of the date on both seems to come away from the rim; however, it's more noticeable on the '96.

• Options

Moving along, here's one of my more "disappointing" PCGS results:

I purchased the raw coin thinking it would grade AU58; it came back as a MS62,

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

Tough way to be disappointed! I realize you want to continue building your everyman.

• Options

I wouldn't be disappointed. 92-O's are 1 of the few dates I wouldn't mind getting a 62 vrs. a 58 on.

@JeffMTampa said:

• Options

I'm happy with the 62 now since I later purchased a nice AU58:

• Options

Here's one at the other end of the spectrum from my stash:

The '05 O Dime is a tough date. Someday I'll find a suitable upgrade.

• Options

When you lay them out like that it looks very impressive!

• Options
    wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Really nice collection!

• Options

I came across several really nice slabbed branch mint Barber Quarters over the last 2 weeks; I couldn't pass them up. Here's a '98 S purchased from Liz Coggan in an ANACS AU 58 holder:

I decided to crack this one out and submit it. There's a chance it will come back as a 58, but my guess is an equal chance as a 55. I really love the colorful toning.

It's on it's way to our hosts.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2020 4:42PM

While I think it's technically a 55(maybe even a 53)...the originality might give it a bump to 58. Nice Coin!

@JeffMTampa said:
    I came across several really nice slabbed branch mint Barber Quarters over the last 2 weeks; I couldn't pass them up. Here's a '98 S purchased from Liz Coggan in an ANACS AU 58 holder:

I decided to crack this one out and submit it. There's a chance it will come back as a 58, but my guess is an equal chance as a 55. I really love the colorful toning.

It's on it's way to our hosts.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2020 7:40PM

A lot of nice Barber Quarters and Halves here lately. Here is my only Barber Quarter. It's the RPM 501.

• Options

Great looking Quarter, Jon! Here's mine:

• Options

Interesting sleuthing on @DIMEMAN part. He noticed the '16 D/D I just posted is NOT the FS-501 RPM (as certified by PCGS). It is a RPM (RPM-001 from Kevin Flynn's book), but not the one listed in the Cherrrypickers' Guide as the FS-501. Jon also noticed that Coinfacts have photos of FS-501 RPM that aren't. Ugh.

So am I obligated to now send my coin in as a Mechanical Error?

• Options

Those are some beautiful looking coins guys! I am waiting for this newp to arrive. In the meantime I'm curious to know what you think it might grade and any opinions you may have on it. I feel confident that it's a 40 but don't think it would go 45. It's got the look that I like.

• Options

I agree on a XF40 grade- nice looking coin!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Darrell- There are these smaller orbs called Quarters.....

There are also ords smaller than Quarters.....called Dimes. B)

• Options

I could see it going 40...but expect a 35.

@jedm said:
    Those are some beautiful looking coins guys! I am waiting for this newp to arrive. In the meantime I'm curious to know what you think it might grade and any opinions you may have on it. I feel confident that it's a 40 but don't think it would go 45. It's got the look that I like.

• Options

BCCS Journal (2007 Vol. 18, No. 1) has an article by William H. Cowburn Jr. discussing Type I and Type II reverses on 1892 quarters. "The author finds it easier to recognize the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 reverses by looking at the base of the 'T' in UNITED rather than trying to judge the percentage of the 'E' is covered by the wingtip." I (Tim) personally use the first star in the left hand of the field to determine reverse type and whether the star is tilted. To understand a rough rarity of each, Cowburn Jr. showed data broke down by mint: "'92-P Type 1 Rev. 32%, MS64 median grade; '92-P Type 2 Rev. 68%, MS60 median grade (roughly 36% of the '92-P is graded XF-AU); '92-O Type 1 Rev. 43%, MS63 median grade; '92-O Type 2 Rev. 57%, MS62 median grade (roughly 37% of the '02-O is graded XF-AU); '92-S Type 1 Rev. 54%, MS60 median grade; '92-S Type 2 Rev. 46%, AU55 median grade (roughly 54% of the '92-S is graded XF-AU)"

• Tim

• Options

I found a few nice raw Barbers early this year and submitted them for grading in mid February. They arrived back home from our hosts today. Here's a tougher date I'm very happy with, a 1908 S Quarter now in an AU 58 holder:

I like the blueish tone of this coin. It upgrades a VF 35 I've had in my set for many years. The 35 is going up for sale

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Very nice coin and rare
    Congrats

Rob
  • Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I found a few nice raw Barbers early this year and submitted them for grading in mid February. They arrived back home from our hosts today. Here's a tougher date I'm very happy with, a 1908 S Quarter now in an AU 58 holder.

I like the blueish tone of this coin. It upgrades a VF 35 I've had in my set for many years. The 35 is going up for sale

@JeffMTampa Jeff, PM sent.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2020 8:32PM

Interesting data. The early 1890's dates, the mintmark positions, the rarity of these positions, the median grades.. this data is circa 2007-ish and out of a review of Heritage Auction archives up until then.

• Options

Interesting Tim- thanks for sharing!

• Options
    edited April 30, 2020 11:32AM

@JeffMTampa said:
    Interesting Tim- thanks for sharing!

Yep. Confirms to me the higher-circulated grade '97-S center MM is very scarce to rare. It gives me some interest in searching for those MM placements I may not already have in my collection. In regards to the tougher options, a quick review found that I have the '94-S center MM but not many more of the other dates that have two different major mintmark placement distinctions.

I also have the '97-S center MM but only in NGC VG08.

• T

• Options

I just purchased a '97 S center MM in AG condition and sent it to PCGS for grading. They're going to laugh when they see it. Obviously a waste of money to get it graded, but I now like keeping the collection in holders so they can store together and be recorded in my inventory at PCGS. I agree the center '97 S mm is rare (but out there in AG to Good condition).

Maybe someday we can get PCGS to acknowledge the variety! Tim, maybe we can use Vern's money and purchase PCGS to get these dang varieties recognized!

• Options

I picked up a couple of nice (MS) raw Barber Halves earlier this year and sent them in for grading. Here's a 1905 S that came back in a PC MS62 holder:

The only other '05 S Half I had is an AU58, so this addition upgrades my regular "Best Of" Barber Half set.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:

Really nice coin from the pix. That date isn’t for sale usually even though the pops aren’t too scarce.
    I had an early bid in and was going to play at the end but forgot. I figured $180 and I see it as a 35. It’s perfectly wholesome look could well give it a 40 kiss if the graders are feeling it that day.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff - Vern's money. Good one.
    It is too bad that our hosts don't recognize more varieties, tho.

jedm - nice 03-S, tough to find looking like that. I'll guess 40 on a good day, 35 on most.

Pics for this PM, newp into my collection, thanks Lenny, PC53:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2020 4:44AM

Great looking coin and photo, Vern. I see you have a second lamp!

• Options

Here's a couple of new Quarter pickups in NGC holders. First, a '96 O in an AU55 holder:

Second, a '97 O in an AU 50 holder:

Both are on their way to PCGS for crossover at any grade. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they come back at the same grade in PCGS holders.

• Options
    edited May 2, 2020 10:27AM

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's a couple of new Quarter pickups in NGC holders. First, a '96 O in an AU55 holder:

Second, a '97 O in an AU 50 holder:

Both are on their way to PCGS for crossover at any grade. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they come back at the same grade in PCGS holders.

Jeff, I love the beauty of those coins you obtained. Very nice. They should have no problem crossing. I am excited for you! My PCGS cycle is every March so I have 4 freebee gradings at Regular Submission to use up somehow... that is my current dilemma. - Tim

• Options

Tim- You have PLENTY of time to find some nice items to submit.

When I was a kid I spent my summers is Northern Minnesota in the 1960's. Both of my parents were school teachers; we had a cabin on a lake. I used to go fishing for Walleye's with my Dad. We would catch a lot of fish, but only keep what we were going to eat that day. Dad considered a Walleye about 2 lbs. and up a "keeper". If a fish was smaller Dad would say "throw it back".

In early January I purchased a raw 1911 Barber Half on eBay. It was blast white (obviously dipped in the past), but otherwise looked great. It was clearly uncirculated and didn't have any distracting marks. I already had an MS 63 in my regular Barber Half set, but I was looking for an upgrade. I thought it looked like at least a 63 and hopefully a 64.

Off it went to our hosts for grading. Last week the coin returned in a MS 62 holder. I was reminded of fishing with Dad when I learned the grade. The new purchase wasn't an upgrade for my set; time to "throw it back" (as in sell it).

It's a nice coin, but it doesn't fit into my collection.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Tim- You have PLENTY of time to find some nice items to submit.

When I was a kid I spent my summers is Northern Minnesota in the 1960's. Both of my parents were school teachers; we had a cabin on a lake. I used to go fishing for Walleye's with my Dad. We would catch a lot of fish, but only keep what we were going to eat that day. Dad considered a Walleye about 2 lbs. and up a "keeper". If a fish was smaller Dad would say "throw it back".

In early January I purchased a raw 1911 Barber Half on eBay. It was blast white (obviously dipped in the past), but otherwise looked great. It was clearly uncirculated and didn't have any distracting marks. I already had an MS 63 in my regular Barber Half set, but I was looking for an upgrade. I thought it looked like at least a 63 and hopefully a 64.

Off it went to our hosts for grading. Last week the coin returned in a MS 62 holder. I was reminded of fishing with Dad when I learned the grade. The new purchase wasn't an upgrade for my set; time to "throw it back" (as in sell it).

It's a nice coin, but it doesn't fit into my collection.

In the last year I have made a good number of submissions. I should say, ever since Mark Salzburg of NGC wrote that scathing (ok, competitive) article stating how PCGS has been conducting an exercise of inflating submission grades, we have seen a PCGS leadership change and the grade results have been a grade-lower than what I believe an accurate grade should be in a number of cases. @JeffMTampa 1911-P Half may be a case in point.

• Options

I feel like I'm "hogging" the thread with all my posts recently. Are Tim and I the only Barber Megathread followers still alive?

Here's another recent purchase, a 1909 S Barber Quarter in a PC AU 58 holder:

Purchased from J. J. Teaparty.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys....I'm new around here...Big fan of Barber coinage since the early 90's. OK, for the experts here....Take a look at this coin, and tell me if you believe it is natural...and how you would grade it....No looking at the cert....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file