Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cents were from the reject slot at my credit union, the rest was from the trash can next to the machine. Yes, two silvers including my first 40% silver quarter found in the wild - a Bicentennial S mintmarked coin.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a great idea... I never tried that. That is a super haul of silver as well.... I have often seen people retrieving their 'rejects'...never thought of asking them to look them over. BINGO!! The idea light over my head just went on... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinstar Drought worsening around here, just some zincents and a few Mexican bimetallic peso coins post-1993.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:

He was very pleased to accept $10 and looked like he felt he had just rooked me pretty well LOL.
    Bottom line at todays spot: ~ $69 of silver WooHoo!

Looks like he was the one who got ROOKED. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 Roosie yesterday after a looong dry spell.

• Options

Went by the coinstar yesterday and wow... the reject bin was full... I scooped them out.. took three times to get them all.. AND THEN.... along came a woman and said "Did you just pull them out of there?" "They are mine, I just turned in my slip (showed me) and I did not know about that return slot."... Yeah, I gave them to her... must have been about $5 dollars in change... did not notice what all was in there except many denominations... Talk about an 'almost' treasure to look though.... :( Cheers, RickO

• Options

@aj2525r....Nice haul....lots of silver there.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019 5:53AM

@aj2525r said:
    Score!
    Took the daughter shopping and checked the Coinstar out of habit.

26 cents, 1940 to recent with three steel cents.
    3 dimes, 1942 D, 1954D and 1963D
    5 quarters including the 1925, 1962 and three recent.
    1 1969D Kennedy

and 10 foreign coins

and one token to some sort of arcade.

I'm thrilled.

Oh I'm looking at the 1955D cent, It is noticeably thinner. Later when I get the chance I will need to examine it better.

Nice score but, unfortunately, the machine accepts the doubled die 69S...

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a barber dime in one today! Very excited. I’ll post a pic later

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

No pics, but $1.36 in regular US change and a Canadian 10c coin.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Well... hit it big yesterday.... nine quarters, five dimes and three cents.... but no silver or wheaties.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

After ordering my $5 coffee I moseyed on over to the coinstar machine and in disbelief the reject bin looked full. So, I nonchalantly emptied it into my pocket and went back to grab my $5 coffee. Shortly after, I noticed a new customer at the machine so, I went and stood behind her and she was continuously checking the reject slot. Realizing I just beat her to the punch I patiently waited anyway. I must have made her nervous as she left 6 cents in the feed tray. :)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    After ordering my $5 coffee I moseyed on over to the coinstar machine and in disbelief the reject bin looked full. So, I nonchalantly emptied it into my pocket and went back to grab my $5 coffee. Shortly after, I noticed a new customer at the machine so, I went and stood behind her and she was continuously checking the reject slot. Realizing I just beat her to the punch I patiently waited anyway. I must have made her nervous as she left 6 cents in the feed tray. :)

I don't know about you, but it's difficult for me to remain nonchalant when I linger around the Coinstar.....
    I keep looking for my face on a WANTED poster.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever ....nice haul.... If I am leaving the store and see someone dumping a bag/jug of coins, I will loiter by the magazines until they finish and leave.... rarely anything there, but one gets lucky from time to time. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @CoinscratchFever ....nice haul.... If I am leaving the store and see someone dumping a bag/jug of coins, I will loiter by the magazines until they finish and leave.... rarely anything there, but one gets lucky from time to time. Cheers, RickO

Lol. I do the same!!

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options

@mannie gray Just keep your head down and don't be looking around to see if someone is looking at you because that's the moment your busted :D

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Went to usual Meijer's store today and scored this little bit of treasure. I ended up with (6) Canadian Quarters (1) Canadian Nickel and (1) City of Detroit Bus token. Since I live right outside of Detroit all of this is quite common. But I never ride the bus I think the token is pretty cool.

Thanks

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options

All I have found lately are bent quarters, crusty zincolns and a nice AU grade 1958 Belgian franc coin.

• Options

Nice haul of Canadian quarters....The U.S. quarter programs (SHQ, National Parks) make it easy to spend these since cashiers do not check anymore...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well,
    Found some electric box slugs when a bank removed all coin machines.
    Had to break down all of them. Wow those magnets are powerful.
    Oh ya some coins also.
    paperclips. keys ,watch batteries and a whole lot of goofey stuff

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭

I truly envy everyone with their awesome finds here...... the lone Coinstar I pass at Walmart's or the occasional one elsewhere are always bare!!

• Options

The drought I have suffered through was broken when I visited the credit union the other day:

McLovin those 64 and 64-D quarters!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2019 9:24AM

SILVER!!!!!! Never found a silver quarter yet myself

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

That is an outstanding haul....and silver too.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba you get some hauls for sure! nice one

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:

These kind of encounters really make one wonder just how many kilotonnes of this stuff are still out there!

it seems like there is more and more showing up in circulation. but, maybe we just have more information now.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

8 cents today.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dry in my area...

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing I’m months

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlightss said:
    Nothing I’m months

Nothing in months. Damn spellcheck

• Options

Today a Portuguese eurocent, a British 5p coin and an Estonian 2 krooni banknote in the trash can next to the coin machine at my credit union.

• Options

In one more day, it will be exactly one month since my last coinstar finds.....dry spell with no sign of relief. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Silver is always good....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't want to be Debbie Downer here but for those of you finding lots of silver coins and the occasional rarity, variety, gold coin, etc...as an FYI... a local cop here was telling me how they're asking businesses to specifically train cameras on their Coinstar machines as they are a go to place for dumb thieves to cash out stolen coin collections.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that 1965 dated quarters are often (always?) rejected?

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options

@telephoto1....That does not concern me.... should the authorities want to discuss with me any coins I may have retrieved, I will certainly be willing to help. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@telephoto1 The cops can have all the Chuckie Cheeze tokens!

• Options

@fastfreddie .... :D I never thought of that....Congratulations on the silver dime....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@fastfreddie said:
    Picked up 11 cents the other day, the dime was 1964.

I don't know if someone has mentioned this but in addition to checking the reject slot, check the in-feed tray for stuck coins and also press the cash out button. I jiggled the tray a few times and pressed the bottom, after the machine thought long and hard (ha) it issued a receipt for 8 cents!

Uh, yeah, I have found a few silvers and wheats thrown back into the feed in tray!

• Options

And this morning went to the institutional retail feed facility and found 53c on the sorting tray, not the reject slot. No silver or goodies, but happy all the while.

• Options

I have not checked the feed in tray.... never thought there would be anything left in there.... Oh the treasures I may have missed... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I have not checked the feed in tray.... never thought there would be anything left in there.... Oh the treasures I may have missed... :D;) Cheers, RickO

I need a coinstar jacket so, I can slide the machine over and look under it :D

• Options

Definitely.... I think the janitor at the store probably moves the machine and scoops it all up....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file