Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    From the ewwwww gross

They were just lying there on the counter on the machine.

At least they weren’t in the tray with some coin to hide them while you pick them up.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    From the ewwwww gross

They were just lying there on the counter on the machine.

Did you look first or just grabbed what was in the reject slot?

I know myself. Grab and go... then feel... then... what the heck! ... then look. ;)

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

I know myself. Grab and go... then feel... then... what the heck! ... then look. ;)

They were already on the counter.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:

@Hemispherical said:

They were already on the counter.

The more I look at them the more I think they are not human or anything else.

They are plaster or enamel for educational purposes.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is different.... I have found tokens, foreign coins and slugs... never teeth.... :o Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once took a large jar of coins to the bank for counting and noticed the female teller laughing and showing another teller something. When I received the rejects, there was a large toenail amongst the coins.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

I found two US cents, 40 Canadian cents, and 10 Centavos for Guatemala.

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Today’s haul. 😳

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just pulled out $0.72 of perfectly good modern change. No idea why it was in the tray at the bottom. Maybe just overloaded?

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options

One crusty zincoln and a judging stare.

• Options

@derryb

Noice!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Nice finds... silver is always welcome.... Anything would be welcome here to end this long drought....Cheers, RickO

• Options

A rolled penny from Rainforest cafe, a Canadian 5c coin and a Caymans 10c coin.

• Options

@SaorAlba ...What is a 'rolled penny'?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko One of those machine rolled coins that people pay 50c and a lousy cent for.

• Options

On the loading tray of the coinstar, stuck when the machine stopped but I got them out with a key. The dime is a 1964, the Canadian cent is one of the earlier Canadian coins I have found on a coinstar machine.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    @ricko One of those machine rolled coins that people pay 50c and a lousy cent for.

Works a lot better with a pre 1982 cent.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just kidding

• Options

@asheland .....Wow... gave me palpitations there for a minute.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lulo90 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Lulo90 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Lulo90 said:

@CaptHenway said:

@Lulo90 said:
    These are the coins i found at a smiths, random grab. Gave them to my Neighbor that has a coin collection, very appreciative.

You gave away a gold coin?

Gold coin?

In the middle.

So, a gold filled coin? since its only 1/10th?

The pictured krugerrand has 1/10th of a troy ounce of gold.

Gold, precious metal, chemical symbol Au.

Krugerrand's are a South African gold coin.

Edit to add: And your a good neighbor to give your neighbor gold.

I am assuming it’s real and not a counterfeit/fake coin/token.

Thank you!
    And yes, he must be happy!

This should be it's own thread! I bet most of the forum is unaware of this find and would appreciate hearing about it

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this in a machine. One pound, With a strange mint mark, and was educated on the history and the style, as these strikes are three crosses.
    Thats all I remember. But I cant forget the reverse,fell off my chair, scared my cat, and the children ran for cover. Im kidding. lighten up!

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2019 11:33AM

The local Safeway store removed it's Coinstar machine in May 2019 and yesterday I visited a larger nearby store and made my first Coinstar find since then, an Australia 2 cent coin from 1980.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

A German 2 pf from 1983, two Canadian cents all hiding on top of the machine.

The rest, including 93c in US, a Loonie and 4 Mexican pesos were in the reject slot.

• Options

@SaorAlba....You are doing very well lately.... Hope it continues... Cheers, RickO

• Options

More change for the donation bucket.

• Options

You did it again,.... Keep this up and you can retire.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko my retirement plans got one huge boost yesterday at the QFC Coinstar

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options

@Swampboy.... You are on a roll..... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow!! a 1/10 oz gold Krug?!! I need to start looking in CoinStar bins again!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

Three different machines over the period of 1.5 days:

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

My wife grabbed 9 SBA $1 today :)

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck

• Options

@JimW .... WOW!! Nine SBA's....Now that is a haul....Congratulations to your wife....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @ricko - she doesn't know (or care) anything about coin collecting... but knows to check the coinstar for me <3

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck

• Options

Last couple of days worth of finds:

The three jewelry items were in the trash can next to the machine with a bent dime. The Catholic medal is some inexpensive metal, the earring appears to be silver. But the ring, it is marked 10K and is a wedding band. Whoops. I have been watching the lost and founds to see if anybody is missing their wedding band. But then again maybe they don't want it if it was in the trash next to the coin machine.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DiggerJim said:
    My very first Coinstar find!!!
    At Walmart.
    I can’t believe you guys got me checking coin returns like I used to do when I was a kid checking phone booths.

But this hobby is great fun!!

This find was nothing special and very crusty. 😳

Your post reminds me of a time when I was about 8-9 years old and was grocery shopping with my mom.
    She'd take me because she had only X amt. to spend and this was before calculators were common ( they were out there but a very simple one cost around $100) and I would keep a running total in my head for her.
    If I got it exactly right (including tax) she would give me a quarter.
    (That was a lot of money then....5 packs of ballcards or 5 candy bars).
    So she was checking out and I went to the pay phone as I was prone to do and jiggled the return handle and a flood of nickels and dimes rained out. I mean....two handfuls......

I was so excited.....until she made me return them to the store manager.

But I digress.....coinstar has been a wasteland around here..

Nothing.
    I suspect the store employees make regular checks.
    I have found more $$ walking from my parking spot to the store than in the reject bin.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last 60 days, sum total of maybe $1.30 common change over four occasions at Coinstar.

Nothing more rarefied than a 1969 Canada 25 cents.

• Options

Once again.... a long drought at the coinstar.... nothing at all for weeks now. I am sure the store people check it all the time... I have seen a manager scoop coins out and pocket them.... and the attendant for the self checkout stands right by the coinstar.... :'( Cheers, RickO

• Options

Finally.... Two quarters, two dimes, three cents and two small foreign coppers...No silver, no wheaties. The drought has ended... now another will start.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

The last three days worth of finds

The 1956 Roosie and the Swiss 20 rappen were the craziest find, I had to go to the grocery store literally at 4am on Sunday and they were lying on the counter part of the coin machine.

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said: :(
    Finally.... Two quarters, two dimes, three cents and two small foreign coppers...No silver, no wheaties. The drought has ended... now another will start.... :D Cheers, RickO

Have been in quite a drought myself...... :(:(

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options

@Tomthemailcarrier....That is quite the eclectic group of coins... but two silver is great. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two whole cents today! As I walked in the grocery store I saw a guy with a huge basket of coins putting them through and thought to myself that I would give it a couple of minutes and cruise back on by - well, out of the corner of my eye, I saw him scoop out ALL of the items in the return!
    Damn! I checked anyway after buying my milk, tuna and coffee beans, and there were all of two not very shiny pennies!
    Oh, well better than anything for the last month.LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file