Home U.S. Coin Forum

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well,
    Found some electric box slugs when a bank removed all coin machines.
    Had to break down all of them. Wow those magnets are powerful.
    Oh ya some coins also.
    paperclips. keys ,watch batteries and a whole lot of goofey stuff

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭

I truly envy everyone with their awesome finds here...... the lone Coinstar I pass at Walmart's or the occasional one elsewhere are always bare!!

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

The drought I have suffered through was broken when I visited the credit union the other day:

McLovin those 64 and 64-D quarters!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2019 9:24AM

SILVER!!!!!! Never found a silver quarter yet myself

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an outstanding haul....and silver too.....Cheers, RickO

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba you get some hauls for sure! nice one

@georgiacop50 said:

These kind of encounters really make one wonder just how many kilotonnes of this stuff are still out there!

it seems like there is more and more showing up in circulation. but, maybe we just have more information now.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

8 cents today.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dry in my area...

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing I’m months

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlightss said:
    Nothing I’m months

Nothing in months. Damn spellcheck

Today a Portuguese eurocent, a British 5p coin and an Estonian 2 krooni banknote in the trash can next to the coin machine at my credit union.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

In one more day, it will be exactly one month since my last coinstar finds.....dry spell with no sign of relief. Cheers, RickO

Silver is always good....Cheers, RickO

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't want to be Debbie Downer here but for those of you finding lots of silver coins and the occasional rarity, variety, gold coin, etc...as an FYI... a local cop here was telling me how they're asking businesses to specifically train cameras on their Coinstar machines as they are a go to place for dumb thieves to cash out stolen coin collections.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that 1965 dated quarters are often (always?) rejected?

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

@telephoto1....That does not concern me.... should the authorities want to discuss with me any coins I may have retrieved, I will certainly be willing to help. Cheers, RickO

@telephoto1 The cops can have all the Chuckie Cheeze tokens!

@fastfreddie .... :D I never thought of that....Congratulations on the silver dime....Cheers, RickO

@fastfreddie said:
    Picked up 11 cents the other day, the dime was 1964.

I don't know if someone has mentioned this but in addition to checking the reject slot, check the in-feed tray for stuck coins and also press the cash out button. I jiggled the tray a few times and pressed the bottom, after the machine thought long and hard (ha) it issued a receipt for 8 cents!

Uh, yeah, I have found a few silvers and wheats thrown back into the feed in tray!

And this morning went to the institutional retail feed facility and found 53c on the sorting tray, not the reject slot. No silver or goodies, but happy all the while.

I have not checked the feed in tray.... never thought there would be anything left in there.... Oh the treasures I may have missed... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have not checked the feed in tray.... never thought there would be anything left in there.... Oh the treasures I may have missed... :D;) Cheers, RickO

I need a coinstar jacket so, I can slide the machine over and look under it :D

Definitely.... I think the janitor at the store probably moves the machine and scoops it all up....Cheers, RickO

@TurboSnail said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ricko said:

Too easy. https://www.dynamicdesigntshirts.com/view/2660/coinstar-company-logo-t-shirt

Change the shirt color to green and it will look

Most excellent dude :D

@BillDugan1959 great find!

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steveben Thank you. I have found maybe five silver dimes in the Coinstar reject slot this calendar year, and one or two silver quarters. Very very fortunate these eleven months.

I have recieved one silver dime in normal retail change in 2019, IIRC.

I have the ability to immediately distinguish the color difference between most silver and clad coins. A helpful thing for a coin person.

I found a Showa 52(ca. 1978) Japanese 100 yen on Friday. No silver.

@BillDugan1959 said:
    @steveben Thank you. I have found maybe five silver dimes in the Coinstar reject slot this calendar year, and one or two silver quarters. Very very fortunate these eleven months.

I have recieved one silver dime in normal retail change in 2019, IIRC.

I have the ability to immediately distinguish the color difference between most silver and clad coins. A helpful thing for a coin person.

could just be coincidence, but when i see the 62 nickel and the 63 quarter together, and based on the look of the 63 quarter, i imagine someone had just dumped an old jar of change into the coinstar you found these in. who knows how long those have sat around. it's possible they were in circulation, but i like to think they sat in a jar or desk for a while before you got them.

Another Kroger run for ice cream last night and found roundness in the hole :)

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RockyMtnProspector said:
    My first Coinstar find on Friday: two non-silver Canadian dimes, a 1940 S Wheatie, a 2003 1 Euro coin from Spain, and a 1954 D Roosevelt. Pretty cool!

It can become addicting :D

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Yep... I have often watched the coinstar while checking out....and usually use the aisle closest to the machine....For the most part, people do clean out the reject slot. Not always... ;) Cheers, RickO

"Coinstar Stalking" - yeah, waiting in the background, hovering - pecking on phone like you are busy texting. Trying to send subliminal messages to the person at the machine, "Okay, you're in a hurry, step away from the machine and take your slip to the cashier - and please forget to check the reject slot!"

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ricko said:

I have shamelessly done it. The gap is very narrow. The only thing I ever found was a large Chinese coin. I can't remember what it was specifically but I think it was equivalent to our dollar. I remember having to get something that fit under there to slide it out.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

@Dave99B ....Congratulations on the silver... we all look for those little beauties...Cheers, RickO

edited November 29, 2019 8:29PM

FINALLY. At Walmart:

Oddly enough, two different countries, both 1997. On top is a Chinese Yi Yuan. More interestingly on the bottom is a South Korean 100 Won. The person depicted is Admiral Yi Sun-Sin. Here's a portion of his story from Wikipedia:

"Admiral Yi Sun-Sin; April 28, 1545 – December 16, 1598) was a Korean naval commander famed for his victories against the Japanese navy during the Imjin war in the Joseon Dynasty, who became an exemplar of conduct for both the Koreans and Japanese.[1] Despite the fact that he had no prior naval training, Admiral Yi was never defeated at sea nor lost a single ship under his command to enemy action, and military historians have placed him on par with Admiral Horatio Nelson as one of the greatest naval commanders in history."

Spouse(s)
    Lady Bang
    Lady O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin

I do not actively collect foreign coins, but I save them when I find them. This will be my first from South Korea. :)

Holy guacamole, two days in a row!

3 Steelies, no mint marks......

Still no silver but it's still fun!

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 7:59AM

Steel Cents don't come out and into the reject slot here, they just get swallowed without credit. Same with Eisenhowers.

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Steel Cents don't come out and into the reject slot here, they just get swallowed without credit. Same with Eisenhowers.

A bank I used to work for had a machine that swallowed all rejects. The 3rd party vendor would come out to empty it and put all the rejects in a ziplock and take them. He said they all had to be turned in. There was always some interesting stuff in it.

I have frequently found foreign coins in the coinstar reject bin...but only once a steel '43 cent....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file