Options

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ricko said:
    I have not checked the feed in tray.... never thought there would be anything left in there.... Oh the treasures I may have missed... :D;) Cheers, RickO

I need a coinstar jacket so, I can slide the machine over and look under it :D

Too easy. https://www.dynamicdesigntshirts.com/view/2660/coinstar-company-logo-t-shirt

Change the shirt color to green and it will look

Most excellent dude :D

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 great find!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steveben Thank you. I have found maybe five silver dimes in the Coinstar reject slot this calendar year, and one or two silver quarters. Very very fortunate these eleven months.

I have recieved one silver dime in normal retail change in 2019, IIRC.

I have the ability to immediately distinguish the color difference between most silver and clad coins. A helpful thing for a coin person.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a Showa 52(ca. 1978) Japanese 100 yen on Friday. No silver.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    @steveben Thank you. I have found maybe five silver dimes in the Coinstar reject slot this calendar year, and one or two silver quarters. Very very fortunate these eleven months.

I have recieved one silver dime in normal retail change in 2019, IIRC.

I have the ability to immediately distinguish the color difference between most silver and clad coins. A helpful thing for a coin person.

could just be coincidence, but when i see the 62 nickel and the 63 quarter together, and based on the look of the 63 quarter, i imagine someone had just dumped an old jar of change into the coinstar you found these in. who knows how long those have sat around. it's possible they were in circulation, but i like to think they sat in a jar or desk for a while before you got them.

• Options

Another Kroger run for ice cream last night and found roundness in the hole :)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RockyMtnProspector said:
    My first Coinstar find on Friday: two non-silver Canadian dimes, a 1940 S Wheatie, a 2003 1 Euro coin from Spain, and a 1954 D Roosevelt. Pretty cool!

It can become addicting :D

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... I have often watched the coinstar while checking out....and usually use the aisle closest to the machine....For the most part, people do clean out the reject slot. Not always... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

"Coinstar Stalking" - yeah, waiting in the background, hovering - pecking on phone like you are busy texting. Trying to send subliminal messages to the person at the machine, "Okay, you're in a hurry, step away from the machine and take your slip to the cashier - and please forget to check the reject slot!"

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ricko said:
    I have not checked the feed in tray.... never thought there would be anything left in there.... Oh the treasures I may have missed... :D;) Cheers, RickO

I need a coinstar jacket so, I can slide the machine over and look under it :D

I have shamelessly done it. The gap is very narrow. The only thing I ever found was a large Chinese coin. I can't remember what it was specifically but I think it was equivalent to our dollar. I remember having to get something that fit under there to slide it out.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@Dave99B ....Congratulations on the silver... we all look for those little beauties...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 29, 2019 8:29PM

FINALLY. At Walmart:

Oddly enough, two different countries, both 1997. On top is a Chinese Yi Yuan. More interestingly on the bottom is a South Korean 100 Won. The person depicted is Admiral Yi Sun-Sin. Here's a portion of his story from Wikipedia:

"Admiral Yi Sun-Sin; April 28, 1545 – December 16, 1598) was a Korean naval commander famed for his victories against the Japanese navy during the Imjin war in the Joseon Dynasty, who became an exemplar of conduct for both the Koreans and Japanese.[1] Despite the fact that he had no prior naval training, Admiral Yi was never defeated at sea nor lost a single ship under his command to enemy action, and military historians have placed him on par with Admiral Horatio Nelson as one of the greatest naval commanders in history."

Spouse(s)
    Lady Bang
    Lady O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin

I do not actively collect foreign coins, but I save them when I find them. This will be my first from South Korea. :)

• Options

Holy guacamole, two days in a row!

3 Steelies, no mint marks......

Still no silver but it's still fun!

• Options
    edited December 1, 2019 7:59AM

Steel Cents don't come out and into the reject slot here, they just get swallowed without credit. Same with Eisenhowers.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Steel Cents don't come out and into the reject slot here, they just get swallowed without credit. Same with Eisenhowers.

A bank I used to work for had a machine that swallowed all rejects. The 3rd party vendor would come out to empty it and put all the rejects in a ziplock and take them. He said they all had to be turned in. There was always some interesting stuff in it.

• Options

I have frequently found foreign coins in the coinstar reject bin...but only once a steel '43 cent....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still nothing here... :'(

• Options

@ballistic_kennedy . Welcome to the forum and the bug. I caught it a couple years ago and can't seem to shake it. Nor do I want to B)

• Options

@ballistic_kennedy....Welcome aboard.... and a nice coinstar find. I found a dime yesterday in the coinstar also... However, it was not silver :'( and it was the only coin in the slot. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2019 1:31AM

@SaorAlba said:
    "Coinstar Stalking" - yeah, waiting in the background, hovering - pecking on phone like you are busy texting. Trying to send subliminal messages to the person at the machine, "Okay, you're in a hurry, step away from the machine and take your slip to the cashier - and please forget to check the reject slot!"

Loudly breaking wind near the Coin star will usually clear it out rather quickly.
    (The area around the Coinstar, that is. )

• Options

@mannie gray .... :D Now that is one I have never thought of....I bet it would work...Of course, it may get you thrown out of the store before you get to check the reject bin... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    It's been quite the drought but finally today the coinstar gods decided to gift me $1.42 clad and a 64 Kennedy complete with the nasty. After a quick soak in the Weimans off to a 90% roll it goes. Love free silver.

Nice find.
    It amazes me that people will.leave money just sitting there.

• Options
    1040taxman1040taxman Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Early Christmas presents from Coinstar : Within the past few weeks I have found the following DIMES 1951 1953-D 1956-D 1957 1990-S PROOF and just last night a 1917 Walker.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow nice score

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

Tis' the season of giving I think. So, I left the reject slot full of crusty zinc.

• Options

We need to have this shirt made with a big arrow pointing down with "Check the slot" on it.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I'd have gone to the bank for that - not giving $29 to Coinstar!

If you select option to receive gift card instead of cash there is no fee. Amazon, Cabela's, Lowes, Home Depot etc.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

If you select option to receive gift card instead of cash there is no fee. Amazon, Cabela's, Lowes, Home Depot etc.

I didn't know that. Interesting.

• Options

The other day I went to the Coinstar machine to check on the reject slot and there was an older lady trying to figure out how to use it. I helped her, but tried to convince her to join a credit union where most of the time the machines are free to use. The machine in that store was charging 11.9% - highway robbery IMHO

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing today but 93 cents in change. Nothing interesting

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@SaorAlba said:
    The other day I went to the Coinstar machine to check on the reject slot and there was an older lady trying to figure out how to use it. I helped her, but tried to convince her to join a credit union where most of the time the machines are free to use. The machine in that store was charging 11.9% - highway robbery IMHO

If you are only running twenty or thirty dollars through, and you are going to the home grocery store (Coinstar location) anyway, that 11.9% is a wash. But running $200 through, you go the other direction to the further away located bank branch, where the transaction is free or only fifty cents. Three dollars is meh, thirty dollars is something else.

• Options

I have three credit unions, two of them are completely free for non-commercial customers, one charges 2% over $100. Even the solitary bank that I deal with that has a coin machine only charges 5%. The one time I used a Coinstar was when my wife was going to make an Amazon purchase. I found the machine obscenely slow and annoying.

• Options

Wow...Kennedy halves in the reject slot.... amazing... Never found a half dollar coin in a coinstar....Definitely the season for cashing in coin hoards....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:

Yea, I probably should have in this case. I could of carried them in several trips a lot quicker than the hour it took at coinstar.
    And for free.

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

How reliable are the Coinstar sorters? I've only grabbed a few coins from the reject slot. I know that TD Bank closed up theirs because of complaints from shorting customers and the only time I used one it shorted me. They gave me what I was owed after I told them but it was a pain in the butt. After that I only use my credit unions which is reliable and free but will still usually run a few rolls through it before I dump in an uncounted bag. Lately all I see are kids running to the Coinstar machines to check them so no finds in a couple months in my area...

Jim

• Options

@ricko said:
    Wow...Kennedy halves in the reject slot.... amazing... Never found a half dollar coin in a coinstar....Definitely the season for cashing in coin hoards....Cheers, RickO

I found one recently that I was too busy at the time to post here - a '43-S Walker at my credit union when they still had the old machine that had a little plastic door over the reject slot. Now they have a spanking new very slow and inconvenient machine that is a complete PITA to use.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found a 1958 Roosevelt dime about three week ago. This makes 4 silver dimes found since I started checking - three Roosevelts and a mangled Mercury. It would be great to find a silver quarter, but so far nothing but clad in that area, plus a few Canadian quarters, including the 1973 Mounted Police issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file