Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not been near a machine in months. I sure miss looking at them as I walk by.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2020 5:55AM

Not actually COINSTAR but just as exciting. Yesterday I not only got a $2.00 Tuesday pint of Culver's Turtle ~~yogurt~~ (make that custard) but received this in change.....

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 7:06PM

Got a $20 star note in change yesterday. It went high on the scarcity chart. Bill is in good shape, but I have no idea of the real value.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never even check for star notes.....I know people collect them....I have seen a few in change, but just spend them. A fellow who used to work for me collected them. Had quite a collection....His mail order bride took them all when she divorced him.... :'( Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

Got a $20 star note in change yesterday. It went high on the scarcity chart. Bill is in good shape, but I have no idea of the real value.

It will be worth money when you die! :o

Ken
  • Options

@theseos ....Welcome aboard... I think I have a farthing just like that from my Navy days in Scotland...I remember the bird....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious feature of British farthings is that they are very similar in size and weight to the 1st gen bronze decimal pennies. By the time of the changeover from £SD to decimal the farthing had been out of circulation for over 15 years.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 9:10PM

Latest find since the Coinstar machine returned last month was about $1.00 in US modern change and this:

Costa Rica 100 Colones 2007
    Brass, 29 mm, 8.94 gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got one silver dime today. First thing in years other than a few foreign minors.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checked Walmart twice last week. Nothing. Hopefully my luck will improve

• Options
    Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    No headlights:

Pennies are still legal tender in Canada. All Canadian money ever made, bills or coins is, and hopefully will always be, perfectly legal tender. Fact that it is recommended by the Feds not to circulate the pennies is simple. They want to remove them from circulation as they cost more to make than they are worth. And it is so much easier to do without them.
    Any transaction can still include pennies. However, it is up to the merchant to accept or not. Banks are technically "not allowed" to give them out any longer.... but, some still do if you ask and they know you.
    paper only transactions are still done "to the penny".
    Again, Canadian pennies of any age, are legal tender! B)

They may be legal tender, but merchants won't accept them, nor give them out any longer.

• Options

87 cents in regular non-numismatic change in a couple of machines today. Nothing else other than a couple of Canadians in the reject slot in the past few weeks.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

It has been a drought here the last couple weeks....no coins at all, not eve Euro's...I have not even seen anyone using the Coinstar..... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Was at one grocery store today and someone had their voluminous posterior parked there at the coin machine scratching off their farking lottery tickets. I hate it when people use the coin machine to scratch off lottery tickets.

• Options

I have seen that several times.....Once, when I saw coins in the return, I asked the person to move, they did, I scooped the coins and left. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MrbarlintMrbarlint Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

Had always decent luck at my local supermarket. Last year, on one trip I found over $13.00 sitting in the reject tray for the taking.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Got a $20 star note in change yesterday. It went high on the scarcity chart. Bill is in good shape, but I >have no idea of the real value.

since you can always just spend it, no harm in keeping it around. a good conversational piece at a minimum. :smiley:

that is weird. this was in drafts. thought i submitted it 2x 1-2 days ago. odd

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@Mrbarlint.... Wow... that is a major haul.....any silver in that pile? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MrbarlintMrbarlint Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Mrbarlint.... Wow... that is a major haul.....any silver in that pile? Cheers, RickO

If memory serves correctly, one Washington and two Roosevelt dimes with a few wheat cents and foreign coins mixes in for good measure. My youngster ran up to the machine ahead of me and gasped. Shocked that someone would leave that much coinage in the tray. I walked out of there with my pockets full like Kramer/Seinfeld episode at the pizzeria paying for a calzone in change! Always had good luck at that same machine with goodies left behind. Same supermarket on another trip we found a silver Washington on the floor in front of the ice cream freezer. Strange.

• Options

@Mrbarlint.... Thanks for the reply... Amazing haul.... I have had a few 'large' one's, but never that much. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can see where my left foot was when the box said Bucket!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Went to the credit union to cash out the $26.50 in halves that were left over from the silver mining expedition of the $30 in CWR, no goodies in the reject slot but then checked the trash can next to the machine:

A '43-S steelie and a '51-D roosie saved from the landfill.

nice trash

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Strangely enough, none of the three coinstars in this area have trash bins next to them...Nice finds there. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Went to the credit union to cash out the $26.50 in halves that were left over from the silver mining expedition of the $30 in CWR, no goodies in the reject slot but then checked the trash can next to the machine:

A '43-S steelie and a '51-D roosie saved from the landfill.

You must either live in the grocery store or credit union; it seems like you find a haul every other day.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1040taxman said:
    A few days later I met another person who had a bag full of coins going into the store.
    I checked the machine 10 minutes later and found an 1865 nickel-type three cent.

That is crazy!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I had a jackpot day yesterday,.....Two dollar coins (prezzie and Sac), twelve quarters, ten dimes and six cents.... No silver but two wheaties (1944,1912)... and one European coin. Cheers, RickO

Good haul.....pocket fuzz, buttons and paperclips here in the Coin Star.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grabbed a snack with my kid after school yesterday. In the age of Covid I'm not reaching into returns, and it pains me to walk past a machine that I KNOW has a gold $2.5 Indian or proof Morgan in it.

But this time I saw silver from a mile away. 1954 D dime, 1964 dime, 2002 Greek 2 euro cent, and plus some sticky clad:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    Grabbed a snack with my kid after school yesterday. In the age of Covid I'm not reaching into returns, and it pains me to walk past a machine that I KNOW has a gold $2.5 Indian or proof Morgan in it.

But this time I saw silver from a mile away. 1954 D dime, 1964 dime, 2002 Greek 2 euro cent, and plus some sticky clad:

Maybe you can afford a new Rubik's cube for the kid now.

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I just got a 2004 Chuck E. Cheese token, 2 stuck together cents, and a road rash roosie.

• Options

I don't care if there is a virus... a coinstar return slot full of change gets my attention... I reach right in and scoop it out. Plenty of wipes and/or sanitizer available.... ;) and acetone for the coins... Has worked so far... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Wasn’t in the coin star, but I found a 10$ bill at the store.

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    Wasn’t in the coin star, but I found a 10$ bill at the store.

Did you turn it in to lost and found? Bad karma if you didnt.

• Options

No, there was no one around and it’s only 10$. Anyways a lot of the time when you turn in a small amount to lost and found the employees pocket it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file