Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to go to the store yesterday and just happened to walk by the coinstar (yeah right, lol :D ) and much to my surprise it was a banner day.
    .....no paper clips...nor pocket fuzz.
    But...there was a broken button and a tiddlywinks chip.
    This is a sign from the Coinstar deities.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    I had to go to the store yesterday and just happened to walk by the coinstar (yeah right, lol :D ) and much to my surprise it was a banner day.

How am I supposed to grade grumpy when you guys keep quacking me up :D
    Now shut it I got work to do :#

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

Is "pocket fuzz" a polite euphemism for navel lint? ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing in the coinstar yesterday.... Well, had a couple good days in the past weeks.... so can't complain. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@tommy44 said:
    A slightly broadstruck 1969-S Jefferson in the credit union reject bid bin yesterday.

A first for me.

Hard to tell exactly what is going on from the photo. It doesn't look purely broadstruck, although it might be a partial collar error. It also looks like it might be a finning error:

http://www.error-ref.com/finning/

Any photos of the edge of the coin?

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2020 2:21PM

@IkesT said:

@tommy44 said:
    A slightly broadstruck 1969-S Jefferson in the credit union reject bid bin yesterday.

A first for me.

Hard to tell exactly what is going on from the photo. It doesn't look purely broadstruck, although it might be a partial collar error. It also looks like it might be a finning error:

Finning never crossed my mind, you just may have hit the nail on the head. Here are a couple of shots of the edge, the anomaly goes around about 885% make that 85% of the rim.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@tommy44 said:

@IkesT said:

@tommy44 said:

A first for me.

Finning never crossed my mind, you just may have hit the nail on the head. Here are a couple of shots of the edge, the anomaly goes around about 885% of the rim.

Neat! I'm still not 100% sure what to call it, but perhaps an expert like @FredWeinberg could offer an opinion.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

@tommy44 said:

Finning never crossed my mind, you just may have hit the nail on the head. Here are a couple of shots of the edge, the anomaly goes around about 885% of the rim.

Neat! I'm still not 100% sure what to call it, but perhaps an expert like @FredWeinberg could offer an opinion.

Partial collar strike I believe

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of days ago I found 10 all copper US pennies in the reject bin along with a Mexico 5 centavos.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

@tommy44 said:

@IkesT said:

@tommy44 said:

A first for me.

Neat find. The odd rim is presumably why Coinstar rejected it.

• Options

Coinstar(s) have been empty for about two weeks now.... I think the store clerks are keeping a sharp watch on the reject slot. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2020 12:00PM

@JBK said:
    Yesterday I found two Canadian quarters and a 1968 Canadian dime.

In 1968 Canada was transitioning from silver to nickel for dimes and above. The US mint in Philadelphia helped them mint some coins in nickel, while the Canadian production was in silver.

Based on color, I think this dime is silver.

Check it with a magnet. If it sticks to the magnet, it is the nickel version. If it doesn't stick to the magnet, it's silver.

• Options

@mannie gray said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    After an hour and a half dump, this guy walks up behind me with a small bag while I was waiting to cash out.
    And left this for me :)

You may want to consider adding some fiber to your diet.

Funny you say that I started a high fiber diet 3 weeks ago and after cutting out fast-food, ice cream, etc. etc. etc. I've lost 12 lbs. Half way there.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

@JBK said:
    Yesterday I found two Canadian quarters and a 1968 Canadian dime.

In 1968 Canada was transitioning from silver to nickel for dimes and above. The US mint in Philadelphia helped them mint some coins in nickel, while the Canadian production was in silver.

Based on color, I think this dime is silver.

Check it with a magnet. If it sticks to the magnet, it is the nickel version. If it doesn't stick to the magnet, it's silver.

Now why didn't I think of that? :# Mine did not stick. B)

Maybe I subliminally thought the Philly coin was actually a copper-nickel alloy? Not sure. But it prompted me to research the details.

1968 Canadian dimes:

Type 1: 50% silver, 50% copper

Type 2: nickel, minted in Canada

Type 3: nickel, minted in Philadelphia

Type 1 - about 70 million
    Types 2 and 3 (roughly split evenly) - about 172 million.

It is coming back to me from my youth that the way to determine Type 2 and Type 3 is the reeding. The reed count and style is different between the two.

• Options

I hope the reed style difference is easily discerned,... At my age and eyesight, I do not want to count reeds on my '68 Canadian dimes.... ;) I will just use a magnet :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

Grabbed a 1964 10c a few weeks ago

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options

@Joe_360 .... Congratulations on the silver quarter....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found a dime today. Not silver.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mrbarlint said:
    Found these today sitting on the Coinstar counter.....1964 Washington, 1963D Roosevelt, Wheat cents 53D and 57D, 2006 Canadian quarter, 1976 Canadian dime, 2007 Caribbean dime and a NYC subway token.

Very nice in deed...

• Options

@Mrbarlint.... Nice silver finds.... I have found nothing for the past two weeks or so....maybe a tad longer. :'( Cheers, RickO

• Options

At last.... Yesterday I found one dime in the reject slot.... No, not silver...It is a 2020P.... bright and shiny, as it should be.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I wonder what this could buy me in the Bahamas - See the wooden waves @emeraldATV 😁 I do

• Options

Wow!!! That is indeed a treat. Try some acetone to remove the glue/schmutz. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

I found this earlier today on top of the coin counting machine at my local credit union.

The Bahamas 2015, 25 Cents KM# 220

delenda est WitterU

• Options

@WillieBoyd2.... That is a nice haul with silver....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not been near a machine in months. I sure miss looking at them as I walk by.

• Options

@nwcoast.... Wow...nice hoard... lots of Canadian coins there...and looks like a fair amount of silver as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Nice pile of change.... I have been looking for a Texas SHQ in change... Scarce in this area (NE)....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Well that is cool... a Twoonie in a holder.... Very nice find...Cheers, RickO

• Options

OK... today I found a Rosie and a cent... the cent is all gummed up with some kind of smutch... the dime is a 2020. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@CoinscratchFever.... Now that is different... I have not found one of those yet. Plenty of Euro's and Middle East coins... That coin is familiar - was in the U.K. a lot at that time (Navy)...and one of those would get you an order of fish and chips (Scotland)...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @CoinscratchFever.... Now that is different... I have not found one of those yet. Plenty of Euro's and Middle East coins... That coin is familiar - was in the U.K. a lot at that time (Navy)...and one of those would get you an order of fish and chips (Scotland)...Cheers, RickO

I thought it was silver for a minute then looked it up and it’s cupronickel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file