Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #6

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the direction the coins had taken when looking at the 5-15 year old charts. My specific comment was aimed at the 12-24 month period. And, I was pointing out the strength I am seeing now as compared to the past 12-24 months on the same or very similar coins. The JHF auction (near and dear to my heart) was many, many moons ago. But, even discussing those coins, a number performed wonderfully over that long term chart when factoring in the new plastic they reside in.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AllCoinsRule said:

@wondercoin said:
    Are they 67+FB or higher? Or better date 66FB or higher (like 58-P)?

I was not talking about “widgets” here.

Wondercoin.

The problem is they were once very nice tough coins but they have turned into widgets (a nicely toned 60-p in 67fb, 64-p 67fb ex JHF, for example.)

You know, I'm beginning to like widgets. I've collected quite a few of them, but they weren't widgets at the time. :'(

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mitch, I read your post and then read my post, it sounded ok to hit enter, but now re-reading it - I've got nothing :blush: It would seem I made an example of Apples to oranges :)

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Another large decrease in pricing in the PCGS Price Guide

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:
    Another large decrease in pricing in the PCGS Price Guide

I don’t see anything not warranted. Mostly the high pop early dates is where most of the red is. No red in the clads. It wouldn’t surprise me if the red continued short term in the silvers.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2019 7:46AM

Has anyone else seen the "HUGE" addition to the Halcyon set. I'll give you a hint. Its a silver pop 2/0 that added 14 basis points to his set. Slowly but surly catching Hansen's silvers.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2019 7:54AM

@onlyroosies said:
    Has anyone else seen the "HUGE" addition to the Halcyon set. I'll give you a hint. Its a silver pop 2/0 that added 14 basis points to his set. Slowly but surly catching Hansen's silvers.

I've seen both 49P in 68FB. The one in Hansen's set is not all there for a 68... I'd call it more of a low end 67+FB..

The one in the Halcyon set IS all there for the 68 grade.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:

I check every one of the Roosevelt FB sets daily. It’s what I do. He also added both ‘18’s lately along with an MS67+ pop (1/0) silver variety.

I look at everyone’s set that updates. I don’t discriminate.

Trivia: Can you name the Roosie set that is constantly red d/t the owner adding & subtracting on a daily basis?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

I check every one of the Roosevelt FB sets daily. It’s what I do. He also added both ‘18’s lately along with an MS67+ pop (1/0) silver variety.

Trivia: Can you name the Roosie set that is constantly red d/t the owner adding & subtracting on a daily basis?

World Class Roosies FB Set

• Options

@onlyroosies said:

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

World Class Roosies FB Set

Correct. Not sure why he is constantly doing it, but he sure is having fun with his coins! :o

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Love the obverse.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Nick. What is the history on the new 49-P MS68FB?

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

If the intention is/was to catch Hansen, letting the 64-D pop 1/0 go into Hansen’s set was a tactical mistake.

That said, do not even try to defeat a billionaire in your series. It almost never ends well for you.

Wondercoin.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    If the intention is/was to catch Hansen, letting the 64-D pop 1/0 go into Hansen’s set was a tactical mistake.

That said, do not even try to defeat a billionaire in your series. It almost never ends well for you.

Wondercoin.

John didn't chase the 49P 68FB pop 1/0 at auction that hammered for over $13K. Now he has one in his set and paid well below the $13K number Hansen had to pay. When another 64D 68FB gets made (up graded) the price will be much more reasonable.

I don't think letting the 64D go was a tactical mistake as that particular coin had to much negative history behind it. As I said above, another will eventually be made. If you are a registry player you would know the 64D is only a 1 weight coin in the registry. It only has strong registry value if it stays pop 1/0. The 49P is a 3 weight coin and when the second got made at the FUN show Hansens registry points dropped.

As far as History on the 49P. All I can say is that the coin was not an up-grade. It was in private hands for over 20 years. I submitted it for the owner at FUN where it graded 68FB and handled the transaction between John and the owner.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen the 49P, one of the best Roosies in existence. Totally all there, I think it’s a 68+

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

I just read the last few pages of this roosie talk. You guys are so connected to knowing each other sets and coins. I have a lot to learn.

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    edited April 14, 2019 6:39PM

If you talk about the “when another one gets made” angle, then it is probably best to avoid all of the pop 1, 2 coins and possibly pop 3 and 4 coins as well. I recently added a coin to one of my sets I wanted for about 4 years. I waited until it was pop 8/0 and paid 20 cents on the dollar.

Edited to add... that pop 1/0 64-D I was talking about was an already nicely discounted $5,000-$5,500 pop 1/0 coin (history and all). I am not sure the pop 2/0 coin (whenever that happens) will sell for less. Hence, my comment.

Wondercoin.

• Options

@onlyroosies said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin.

John didn't chase the 49P 68FB pop 1/0 at auction that hammered for over $13K. Now he has one in his set and paid well below the $13K number Hansen had to pay. When another 64D 68FB gets made (up graded) the price will be much more reasonable.

Totally agree Nick.

In fact, I know of a 64-D 67+FB currently being attempted at an upgrade to 68FB at PCGS that has a good shot....

• Options

“John didn't chase the 49P 68FB pop 1/0 at auction that hammered for over $13K”

I can’t confirm or deny that. Do you know who the underbidder was on the 49-P Nick? Whomever did bid $12k or $12.5k did, in fact, “chase” it.

Wondercoin.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    “John didn't chase the 49P 68FB pop 1/0 at auction that hammered for over $13K”

I can’t confirm or deny that. Do you know who the underbidder was on the 49-P Nick? Whomever did bid $12k or $12.5k did, in fact, “chase” it.

Wondercoin.

Don't mean to eavesdrop Mitch, as the question was directed at Nick. But since I know the answer, I'll share. A client of mine out of Wisconsin was chasing the coin which Hansen ended up winning. It was not John, the owner of the second 49P.

• Options

I agree Mitch that the price on the 64D 68FB pop 1/0 was very reasonable. I would still prefer to pay the same price on the next one made without the History. It's also about the coin. John is buying nice coins.

I don't know who the underbidder was on the 49P that Hansen won. I just know it was not chased by John.

Probably pretty good advice not chasing any of the pop 1, 2 or 3 coins. That's easier said then done, especially when a super nice coin gets made and you get first shot at it. I'm always willing to pay a premium for a coin with no History, Or a History where the coin has only traded privately for many years where a select few have seen it. As is the case with John's new addition.

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    I'm always willing to pay a premium for a coin with no History, Or a History where the coin has only traded privately for many years where a select few have seen it. As is the case with John's new addition.

Nick, could you expand on this a little further please.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Stooge,
    There are numerous Roosies very few people have ever seen. They went 68* from NGC first time through and then went to a safety box for an owner who didn’t care about cracking or upgrading.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    Stooge,
    There are numerous Roosies very few people have ever seen. They went 68* from NGC first time through and then went to a safety box for an owner who didn’t care about cracking or upgrading.

Well shame on him huh? B);)

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:
    I'm always willing to pay a premium for a coin with no History, Or a History where the coin has only traded privately for many years where a select few have seen it. As is the case with John's new addition.

Nick, could you expand on this a little further please.

As Bill said, there are Roosies out there that only a handful of collectors know about and will always command top dollar. you will probably never see them in an auction because there is always a collector waiting for the coin to come available again. Johns 52P & 49P fall in this category. There were about half a dozen people that knew of these coins. They sold privately once they were in the right holder with the right grade on it. John ended up with both coins. Hansen ended up with a nice handful of Roosies that fell into this category when he bought my silver set. His: 1947S, 1950S, 1951P, 1953P, 1954S, 1955D, 1961D. You will not find any auction records or eBay records or any sales history on these coins. I will always pay a premium for that.

Onlyroosies

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting reading. I will never catch John on grade, but can pass him by filling holes (varieties). You guys are out of my league grade wise, but I'm still having fun. :)B)

• Options
    edited April 15, 2019 7:23PM

This coin sold on just less than a month ago in a MS68 holder for $731.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/683586/1952-S-Roosevelt-Dime-PCGS-MS-68-Toned

Now, it's in an FB holder.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/698942/1952-S-Roosevelt-Dime-PCGS-MS-68-FB-Toned

Somebody's been busy.. lol

• Options

@ilikemonsters said:
    This coin sold on just less than a month ago in a MS68 holder for $731.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/683586/1952-S-Roosevelt-Dime-PCGS-MS-68-Toned

Now, it's in an FB holder.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/698942/1952-S-Roosevelt-Dime-PCGS-MS-68-FB-Toned

Somebody's been busy.. lol

I noticed that the pop for the 52S 68FB is up 50% over the last 2 months. from 4 to 6

• Options

Would you like to see a redesigned dime?

What would you like to see on it?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

I here the reverse is being redesigned. I would like to see Rivers on the design ;)

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    I here the reverse is being redesigned. I would like to see Rivers on the design ;)

So we'll have a FR designation? LOL

Later, Paul.
  • Options

The price guide updated and I see quite a bit of green in the clads. That's a welcome sight.

• Options

On eBay I came across this 2019 Business Strike dime with a MS67PL designation. In the pop report it's a Prooflike.
    Is PCGS giving out the PL for regular issue business strike coins now?
    Will they be giving the PL to other dates or is this some type of a mechanical error?
    No press release???

Picture courtesy of Tazmicenterprises on eBay:

Later, Paul.
  • Options

I expect to see many PL’s for 2019-D cents and dimes. Not so many for nickels, if any.

Wondercoin.

• Options

I saw that....will this coin go into a MS set?

• Options

I expect hundreds will be graded. No need to buy yet. Wait for the 68FBPL to get graded. I even expect a 69FBPL to get slabbed

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2019 11:16AM

@Stooge said:
    On eBay I came across this 2019 Business Strike dime with a MS67PL designation. In the pop report it's a Prooflike.
    Is PCGS giving out the PL for regular issue business strike coins now?
    Will they be giving the PL to other dates or is this some type of a mechanical error?
    No press release???

Picture courtesy of Tazmicenterprises on eBay:

So, no one has addressed Stooge's question: Is PCGS giving out the PL for regular issue business strike coins now? If they are, when did this begin and was there an announcement?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

If PCGS is giving this PL to dimes then great, but it won't mean a damn thing unless you get the FBPL designation. I still would want a MS68FB over an MS68PL.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BrettPCGS said:
    PCGS has graded modern coins as PL at their discretion over the last decade, notably the 2009 UHRs and 2014s Anniversary set silver. This year the mint is producing some modern products that are clearly PL, and we are grading them as such.

There is no change in SOP in grading these coins. Thanks

That was a response to a question I asked when the first PL cent was mentioned by @mas3387. It does not address if they will be allowing PL designation on previous year coins. It basically only confirms them for this year so far.

• Options

@Stooge said:
    If PCGS is giving this PL to dimes then great, but it won't mean a damn thing unless you get the FBPL designation. I still would want a MS68FB over an MS68PL.

You guys and your FB's! ;) Just kidding. B)

• Options

Has anybody noticed that the highest populated date without a 68FB being graded is 1953-D at 40 67+FB examples. Let me repeat that. There are 40 examples in 67+FB, and not a single 68FB. Mind blowing.

• Options

@ilikemonsters said:
    Has anybody noticed that the highest populated date without a 68FB being graded is 1953-D at 40 67+FB examples. Let me repeat that. There are 40 examples in 67+FB, and not a single 68FB. Mind blowing.

I know of one 53D that has been through the system at least 10 times. I would cut that 40 examples number at least in half.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2019 7:56PM

If Jim owned that 53d that went through 10 times and then he sold it...next time through it is a lock 68. ;)

• Options

I used to love a 53-D that Nick though was a little too dark. I thought it would be the first 68FB.

Wondercoin.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2019 8:31AM

@wondercoin said:
    I used to love a 53-D that Nick though was a little too dark. I thought it would be the first 68FB.

Wondercoin.

I think I know which coin you're talking about. I think it'll be the first 68FB.

I don't know of any crack-out masters attempting to make the first 68FB.

I think it could be "too" terminal on the reverse. Yet, out of all the 67+FB I have seen for the date, I think this example stands the best chance at the 68 grade.

• Options

The coin Mitch is talking about resides in an NGC MS 68*FT holder. The coin has been in that holder for 20 plus years. Unfortunately it has turned in the holder and IMHO will never cross. I now believe the coin is AT. I have no idea where the coin is today.