Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #6

Comments

• Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I do have a few questions/comments for you Danny.

I remeber you saying that you have/had 3 or more NGC sets from years ago that were also complete MS67 sets. What happened to those if you don't mind me asking???
    Did PCGS honor your free FB review through Heritage as PCGS gave everyone in the registry back in the day a free review of all of their dimes???
    If you submitted 1,700 dimes, how is it that (From looking at your sets now) that you did not receive any upgrades to any of the 3 PCGS MS67 sets other than FB's??? Not a single MS67 was upgraded to an MS67+FB or an 8FB? If that is true I find that quite disturbing.
    What made you decide to send all of the dimes to Heritage???

I have many more questions, but this will do for now.

Glad to have you back and hope you post more often.

Hello Paul:
    Thanks for the welcome back.
    Yes, I still have the three complete Silver MS67 NGC sets of Roosies, plus many additional NGC MS 67 coins. I also have 11 NGC MS68 Roosies. I hope to send all of these dimes to NGC for FB upgrade review in the near future. I bought all of these NGC dimes before the FB designation began, just like I did with all of my PCGS Roosies.
    I am currently in discussion about the cost/charge from PCGS for this review of my Registry Set dimes.
    The lack of upgrade to MSFB+ is also very disturbing to me, and I am also asking about this.
    Winn Callender and another rep from Heritage came to see me in February of this year concerning some other items
    that I wanted to sell, and after discussion with them, I decided to let them have all of my silver Roosie dimes. I kept all of my clad Roosies at this time, (except for the two 1999P and 1999D MS69 Roosies which both upgraded to FB) as they will have to go thru the same upgrade review at PCGS at some point in the future. We are trying to decide how best to proceed with the silver Roosies after all of the dimes are returned to Heritage from PCGS.
    Danny

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back @DANNY …….. I think I have bought some Roosies from you in the past. :)

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@DANNY said:

@Stooge said:

I remeber you saying that you have/had 3 or more NGC sets from years ago that were also complete MS67 sets. What happened to those if you don't mind me asking???
    Did PCGS honor your free FB review through Heritage as PCGS gave everyone in the registry back in the day a free review of all of their dimes???
    If you submitted 1,700 dimes, how is it that (From looking at your sets now) that you did not receive any upgrades to any of the 3 PCGS MS67 sets other than FB's??? Not a single MS67 was upgraded to an MS67+FB or an 8FB? If that is true I find that quite disturbing.

Hello Paul:
    Yes, I still have the three complete Silver MS67 NGC sets of Roosies, plus many additional NGC MS 67 coins. I also have 11 NGC MS68 Roosies. I hope to send all of these dimes to NGC for FB upgrade review in the near future. I bought all of these NGC dimes before the FB designation began, just like I did with all of my PCGS Roosies.
    I am currently in discussion about the cost/charge from PCGS for this review of my Registry Set dimes.
    The lack of upgrade to MSFB+ is also very disturbing to me, and I am also asking about this.
    Winn Callender and another rep from Heritage came to see me in February of this year concerning some other items
    that I wanted to sell, and after discussion with them, I decided to let them have all of my silver Roosie dimes. I kept all of my clad Roosies at this time, (except for the two 1999P and 1999D MS69 Roosies which both upgraded to FB) as they will have to go thru the same upgrade review at PCGS at some point in the future. We are trying to decide how best to proceed with the silver Roosies after all of the dimes are returned to Heritage from PCGS.
    Danny

It seems to me your Silver Roosies were sent in for review under designation (FB) review. If this were true, then the graders would not be considering an upgrade for your coin regarding the numerical grade, only for the FB designation.

Even if this is not the case, and you sent your coins in for regrade or recon- under any, then a coin cannot upgrade by a numerical half-point of full point AND the designation. Therefore, it should've been expected that none of your dimes would upgrade from MS67 to MS67+FB or MS68FB, considering it doesn't work this way.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DANNY said:

@Stooge said:

Hello Paul:
    Danny

Danny, Thanks for getting back to me regarding your great dimes. I know you know I wasn't trying to talk negative about your dimes but it's quite unbelieveable that 1700 dimes haven't netted some serious upgrades since they were all graded roughly 2 decades ago. These esentially are all "Fresh" to the market and PCGS should have some sort of answer to why not a single dime went up.
    Can't wait to see the dimes on Heritage. Not sure I would part with them.

Another question that I know @ilikemonsters would love to know is how many PCGS dimes did you have in old green holders?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@ilikemonsters said:

@DANNY said:

@Stooge said:

Hello Paul:
    Danny

It seems to me your Silver Roosies were sent in for review under designation (FB) review. If this were true, then the graders would not be considering an upgrade for your coin regarding the numerical grade, only for the FB designation.

Even if this is not the case, and you sent your coins in for regrade or recon- under any, then a coin cannot upgrade by a numerical half-point of full point AND the designation. Therefore, it should've been expected that none of your dimes would upgrade from MS67 to MS67+FB or MS68FB, considering it doesn't work this way.

Not necessarily true. Keith LaBrozzi whom is a friend of mine sent his entire MS66 silver set in back to get the FB's and they gave him 4 upgrades to MS67FB, but I get what ur saying and was wondering if PCGS gave himthe free FB designation review we were all given back in 2001.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@stooge Rattlers, not old green holders.
    But true, would love some Roosies in rattlers.

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

Danny,

I’d love to see those 11 NGC MS 68 Roosies you have. If there is anything I can do to help you out let me know. I’m now retired from roosies but love helping out a fellow collectors.

Nick

• Options

I hope to receive an answer from PCGS about the lack of upgrade on any coin. I do know that Heritage sent all of them to PCGS to be checked for possible FB upgrade. No mention was made at the time of submission as to number grade upgrade or the + for eye appeal. Some of my Roosies are beautifully toned, and would , in my humble opinion, deserve the +.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    I did not have any Roosies in the Rattler holders.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    When I received the upgrade results from Heritage, I was charged many different grading fee prices for each coin in each box of 20 coins.
    $8.40 $4.95 $5.20 $4.00 $3.90 $6.40 $4.40 $3.20 $5.60...Invoice says that there is a per item fee for shipping and handling. Not sure about the price variation as all of the dimes were sent to PCGS at the same time. Hope to receive free fee for the coins that were in my Registry Sets. Will let everyone know how this all turns out.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    I will try and post a few pics of the NGC MS68 dimes in the near future.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Thanks guys for the welcome back.
    Danny

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Welcome back Danny !!
    And thank you for your recent purchases.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    “No PL on any of my first batch of mint set coins. Several of them were every bit as PL as the rocket Kennedy’s.”

Congrats to you on making a very tough coin! The nickels and dimes were the toughest coins for us to locate in high grade from the mint sets. We screened a “ton” of them. I don’t expect to see many, if any, PL grades from our mint set submissions either when they come back from grading. We have INCREDIBLE PL 2018-D Kennedy coins (stronger in some cases than very nice RS coins) in pop top MS67 and none of them (or any 2018 mint set coin for that matter) received the designation yet.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

A little of topic with a 2018 D Kennedy "Anyone up for some Roosie Talk?"
    There are plenty of 2016 to date coins including Roosies that are "INCREDIBLE PL"
    But since you brought it up maybe we will both grade some "INCREDIBLE PL 2018-D Kennedy coins"
    It will be a win win for the collectors, Like Walmart tumbling prices

That's my 2 cents

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mas. I agree! Walmart has been good for this country all things considered.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@wondercoin said:
    Hi Danny. Congrats on the upgrades! I will also keep an eye out for your coins at Heritage. Nice to take a 9 year break! I should do it with my quarters! Lol.

Wondercoin

Thanks Mitch,, I bought a bunch of my Roosies from you way back then............
    I remember when you listed Heller's 8 Silver MS68 Roosies on Ebay for $33,333.33.
    My how times have changed.
    Danny

• Options

Danny. Yes, I sold you some great silver Roosies. I don’t recall if I sold you the (2) 1999s?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@wondercoin said:
    Danny. Yes, I sold you some great silver Roosies. I don’t recall if I sold you the (2) 1999s?

Wondercoin

I bought the 1999D MS9 Roosie from you in Sept. 2001. You told me it was a consignment coin from someone.

• Options

@DANNY said:

I remember when you listed Heller's 8 Silver MS68 Roosies on Ebay for $33,333.33.
    Danny

Yes Times have changed. A 1954S PCGS MS68 Roosie just hammered tonight on Great Collections auction
    for $825 plus juice. When PC brought the FB designation into the picture all non-FB Roosies collapsed in
    price. When the plus was introduced non plus Roosies in the same grade sunk in value.

• Options

If memory serves me right, Heller’s (8) MS68 dimes finally ended up selling for closer to $40,000.

If one bought Roosies “right”, they did great. If one bought Roosies “wrong” they did poorly. Ditto for the Sellers!

Wondercoin

• Options

For those (me), who don't know what Hellers MS68 Dimes are, can someone please explain?

• Options

@onlyroosies said:

@DANNY said:

Danny

Yes Times have changed. A 1954S PCGS MS68 Roosie just hammered tonight on Great Collections auction
    for $825 plus juice. When PC brought the FB designation into the picture all non-FB Roosies collapsed in
    price. When the plus was introduced non plus Roosies in the same grade sunk in value.

This is the third appearance of this coin specifically on GC, so I'm not surprised it brought this much. In January of 2018, the coin sold for $1,518. In July of 2018, the coin sold for $902. And tonight for $928. These are all-in prices.

Two more being made since the coin first came on the market certainly doesn't help. The pop rose from 3 to five this year for the 1954-S MS68 Roosevelt. I believe one is being regraded for the FB designation though..

• Options

@ilikemonsters said:
    For those (me), who don't know what Hellers MS68 Dimes are, can someone please explain?

way back in the early 2000's,before Full Bands, Steve Heller(Registry Coin), had the best set of Roosies, which included eight MS68 coins.
    Back then, there were only about 15 known, (I had two, and still do), Mitch posted them on Ebay for sale originally for $35,000(?), they did not sell.
    He then re-listed them for $33,333.33. I do not believe they sold for that price either. I guess Mitch sold them for Heller at a later date. Mitch can possibly give some more insight into this transaction.
    Danny

• Options

@DANNY said:

@ilikemonsters said:

way back in the early 2000's,before Full Bands, Steve Heller(Registry Coin), had the best set of Roosies, which included eight MS68 coins.
    Back then, there were only about 15 known, (I had two, and still do), Mitch posted them on Ebay for sale originally for $35,000(?), they did not sell.
    He then re-listed them for $33,333.33. I do not believe they sold for that price either. I guess Mitch sold them for Heller at a later date. Mitch can possibly give some more insight into this transaction.
    Danny

In the early days, PCGS was very strict. It was almost impossible to get a Roosie graded as MS68. Today, the grading standards seem to be much less strict.
    Just my two cents worth!!
    Danny

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Similar to a couple others I've had graded, but this is one of my last from this set. I'm definitely a color > grade guy.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

@DANNY said:

@Stooge said:

Good Monday Morning To All:
    Win Callender, From Heritage called me this morning to discuss my bulk submission of Roosie Dimes to PCGS.
    According to him, the time frame for receiving a FREE submission review of my Registry Set coins has lapsed.....
    However, Heritage was able to negotiate a very fair deal with PCGS on my cost per coin in this bulk submission.
    I was charged a very small fee for each coin that did not upgrade to FB, and a very nominal fee for those that did upgrade to Full Band.........
    The bad news is that there was a misunderstanding between myself, Heritage, and PCGS for the reason for my submission.
    I wanted PCGS to review each coin for (1)Full Band Upgrade (2) Numerical Upgrade (3) possible + upgrade, which I know are eligible.
    Mr. Callender informed me this morning that Heritage ONLY asked PCGS to check each dime for the FB upgrade. Therefore NO DIME came back as a number or + upgrade. I was under the impression that each dime would be reviewed for all 3 catagories listed above......
    The dimes will have to be re-submitted to PCGS. Since they were all graded before PCGS started the FB designation (when grading standards were more strict), My hope is that there will be some that go up a numerical grade and some that are given the + designation on this second review. (Yes there will be an additionaal cost to me, but, I believe the end result will far out-weigh the added cost).
    Danny

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Have someone else submit them.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    Have someone else submit them.

Why would/should I do this? Not sure of your reasoning. Please advise. Other options are always good to know.
    Danny

• Options

They messed up your order. Don’t give them another chance.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options

@DANNY said:

@DANNY said:

@Stooge said:

Good Monday Morning To All:
    Win Callender, From Heritage called me this morning to discuss my bulk submission of Roosie Dimes to PCGS.
    According to him, the time frame for receiving a FREE submission review of my Registry Set coins has lapsed.....
    However, Heritage was able to negotiate a very fair deal with PCGS on my cost per coin in this bulk submission.
    I was charged a very small fee for each coin that did not upgrade to FB, and a very nominal fee for those that did upgrade to Full Band.........
    The bad news is that there was a misunderstanding between myself, Heritage, and PCGS for the reason for my submission.
    I wanted PCGS to review each coin for (1)Full Band Upgrade (2) Numerical Upgrade (3) possible + upgrade, which I know are eligible.
    Mr. Callender informed me this morning that Heritage ONLY asked PCGS to check each dime for the FB upgrade. Therefore NO DIME came back as a number or + upgrade. I was under the impression that each dime would be reviewed for all 3 catagories listed above......
    The dimes will have to be re-submitted to PCGS. Since they were all graded before PCGS started the FB designation (when grading standards were more strict), My hope is that there will be some that go up a numerical grade and some that are given the + designation on this second review. (Yes there will be an additionaal cost to me, but, I believe the end result will far out-weigh the added cost).
    Danny

@DANNY I hope you don't mind me giving a few more thoughts on the whole regarding your dimes.

First I would pull all of my dimes from Heritage toot suite. They botched a once in a lifetime submission of 1700 essentially super fresh dimes in 20+yr old slabs that haven't been seen by anyone other than you. PCGS had their "fresh eyes audit" as I say of your dimes and only gave them FB's on direction from Heritage. Big mistake as when they go back to PCGS they've already seen them. The dimes should stand on their own, but I'm assuming they are now all in fresh slabs. I'm sorry but I don't believe they will be seen in the same manner as 20+yr old slabs.

If @onlyroosies is interested as I cannot speak for him, I would ask Nick to at least look at them and get his opinion. Everyone here will agree that Nick is the premiere Roosevelt Dime expert I would say in the country. I would agree with whatever he says as far as what should get regraded, and anything else. You can send him a PM here.

Personally I would go with Great Collections. They are the new Teletrade and Ian from what I hear is a fine person to deal with.

1700 Roosies sold at once is suicide as I'm sure ur aware of. I would sell off a dozen or so every week as the Roosie market is about as thin as a bible page, although I believe it's picked up here and there. GC can help you with spreading them out if that's what you choose to do.

That's it for now. Please feel free to continue to post thoughts here. I'm sure everything will pan out.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

And no one grades Roosies better than Nick (apologies to Wondercoin).

• Options
    KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I wholeheartedly agree with Paul. Nick is the Pinball Wizard of Roosies (minus the deaf/dumb/blind thing! 😂). He could tell you upgrade potential better than anyone and his ethics are unparalleled.

• Options

Nick is a master at assembling world class Roosie sets. When Nick wanted to sell BOTH of his World Class #1 Silver Roosie sets, I sold both sets for him - for top, top dollar! That said, if I was you Danny, I would not use Nick or myself to sell your set coins - other than perhaps Nick in a consulting role. I would continue to use Heritage so you could honor 100% whatever deal you originally struck with them. They are great to work with (as you know) and, no doubt, they will help you through this “bump in the road” regarding the next round of grading your dimes. In fact, this may have worked in your favor. Your dimes got FB added in round 1 and now the graders are free to concentrate on the grades of the coins (or even liner FB coins) in round two. I would not be surprised if you end up making even more money through PCGS seeing your dimes twice.

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    Nick is a master at assembling world class Roosie sets. When Nick wanted to sell BOTH of his World Class #1 Silver Roosie sets, I sold both sets for him - for top, top dollar! That said, if I was you Danny, I would not use Nick or myself to sell your set coins - other than perhaps Nick in a consulting role. I would continue to use Heritage so you could honor 100% whatever deal you originally struck with them. They are great to work with (as you know) and, no doubt, they will help you through this “bump in the road” regarding the next round of grading your dimes. In fact, this may have worked in your favor. Your dimes got FB added in round 1 and now the graders are free to concentrate on the grades of the coins (or even liner FB coins) in round two. I would not be surprised if you end up making even more money through PCGS seeing your dimes twice.

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin

This is also another great way to go. Wondercoin is top notch. I didn't mean to leave you out Mitch, and you certainly have decades of experience.
    I'm eager to hear what Nick has to say.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Thanks guys for your insight into this situation. I need to make a rather large decision here with my silver Roosies and any/all insight from my fellow collectors is knowledge gained.............
    Nick: I would love to hear your thoughts on my situation.
    Danny

• Options

I just checked in and read all your post. Thank you all so much for all the kind words. Danny, First off I would love to discuss your Dimes. I don't think a public forum is the best place for that. PM me or e-mail me and we'll chat.

Nick

• Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    And no one grades Roosies better than Nick (apologies to Wondercoin).

As much as I’d like to I can’t agree with that. You haven’t heard his name much here but I think Justin is the premier grader for moderns. I may have a few more years on him but boy does he have an eye.

Onlyroosies

• Options

Thanks Nick. Justin has become quite a force in top pop modern coin production. His (2) 2018-D Roosies in MS68FB produced just a couple weeks sold quickly - BOTH OF THEM. And, at strong prices. He personally produced my 2018 P/D quarters for my set and, so far, graded for me 6/10 of the coins in top pop MS68 grade, including the only Voyageurs D in MS68 (pop 1/0 for all inserts and labels). I am very proud of his accomplishments!

Wondercoin

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Thanks Nick. Justin has become quite a force in top pop modern coin production. His (2) 2018-D Roosies in MS68FB produced just a couple weeks sold quickly - BOTH OF THEM. And, at strong prices. He personally produced my 2018 P/D quarters for my set and, so far, graded for me 6/10 of the coins in top pop MS68 grade, including the only Voyageurs D in MS68 (pop 1/0 for all inserts and labels). I am very proud of his accomplishments!

Wondercoin

How did you get first strike on coins that he sorted a year after release? What's the trick there?

• Options

Tetromibi. Feel free to ask Justin. You both are pretty much grading the same coins most of the time. And, congrats on grading that 2019-D Roosie in 69FB! Such a tough coin!

Wondercoin

• Options
    edited June 8, 2019 4:38AM

@Tetromibi said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

How did you get first strike on coins that he sorted a year after release? What's the trick there?

Not bad for sending in sealed boxes !!! Or did you??
    Edit to say you, well because.......

• Options
    edited June 8, 2019 5:20AM

@wondercoin said:
    Tetromibi. Feel free to ask Justin. You both are pretty much grading the same coins most of the time. And, congrats on grading that 2019-D Roosie in 69FB! Such a tough coin!

Wondercoin

Hey Justin, enquire minds want to know?
    LOL

and that's my two cents

• Options

Mas3387... as I told you already ... I really have you to thank for many of my great recent results! So, thank you again! 😀

Wondercoin

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    Mas3387... as I told you already ... I really have you to thank for many of my great recent results! So, thank you again! 😀

Wondercoin

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Now your results... you said ask Justin..

Whoever graded them, you got it !!!
    Still wearing those dancing shoes B)
    Back to work, Have a great day all !!!

• Options

Easy y'all. Back on to dimes. Looks like someone made a 2019-P 68FB. (Not my top pop this time.)

Also, what's the best toned Roosie anybody has seen? Pics?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

Also, what's the best toned Roosie anybody has seen? Pics?

I love the obverse of this one. I only wish the reverse followed suit.

• Options

• Options

• Options

One I used to own and was fond of.

• Options

Those are some beautiful coins pictured above.
    I personally believe that the entire Roosie Dime Series (Silver and Clad) is under-appreciated and under-valued in this present day/time.
    I believe that all present-day Roosie collectors will receive a very nice return on their original investment one day in the future.
    Patience my friends!!! :):):)
    Danny

• Options

So what’s everyone doing for Father’s Day? Searching for Roosies?

I just scored a 2019-D MS68FB non explorers set, as I will be collecting both.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    So what’s everyone doing for Father’s Day? Searching for Roosies?

I just scored a 2019-D MS68FB non explorers set, as I will be collecting both.

Watching the College World Series. Go NOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers