Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #6

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really happy with the bands on my new 2019-D. May need to replace later, but for now I will sit on it.
    The bottom bands look flat on the right side and you really have to strain to see the separation. Like I said, I'll sleep on it.
    What is the opinion of the lower bands on this years dimes???

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paul. Justin has a number of no problem banded Roosies for 2019-D in MS68FB PL FDI that I believe he is selling privately for $150. I understand that might be more than you want to spend on the slot.

Warm regards from 39,000 feet!

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't got my 19's yet. I usually wait until later when they get dirt cheap......like 30 bucks for the pair.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Rainbow toned 2019s

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

ship a dozen to me please

• Options
    KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Lots of Varieties!!!

• Options

So I'm sure you've all heard by now as an Email was sent out by PCGS but on July 1st of this year, PCGS will be giving the PL (Prooflike) designation to all minted series not proof.

Interestingly I would imagine that most of the clad Roosies minted say after the 2000 would somehow be PL in the higher grades such as the 8FB and 9FB, except for the Satin Finish dimes which wouldn't get it.

I know I have a 1968-D 7+FB I bought from @Datentype that is solid and has an insane mirror finish on it. It should easily get the PL, so I'm wondering what others tend to think about regrading some of their dimes? I plan on sending a small handful maybe 5-10 to test the waters.

Any thoughts on the PL subject?

BTW, if I'm not mistaken @wondercoin was possibly instrumental in getting PCGS to do this as he had a fantastic thread going on in the US Coin forum about a yr or 2 ago. One of the best serious discussions around here about PL coins with unreal information and posts from others serious about their coins. Such a great read.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I plan on resubmitting this MS67.

• Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Is PCGS going to offer any kind of "free review" for possible PL coins that they have already graded?
    If you change the "Rules" after the game has started, the people already playing the game should get a "free re-start".

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DANNY said:
    Is PCGS going to offer any kind of "free review" for possible PL coins that they have already graded?
    If you change the "Rules" after the game has started, the people already playing the game should get a "free re-start".

I'm curious. How did they handle the FB designation when that first started?

• Options

I just hope this doesn't screw up the Registry. :/

• Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

In time we will find out which issues are available in P-L and which ones aren't.

• Options

When FB for Roosies first came out PCGS allowed everyone to submit for FB review for free. I think they allowed this for a year. I don't remember if there were any restrictions as to who could submit. FB was to be given 2 bonus points in the registry and I think that's why PC did the free review. If the new PL designation doesn't add any bonus in the registry then I doubt PC will allow a free look. It will turn out to be like First Strike holders. For Roosies I don't see any significant premium for either PL or FS unless the designations affected the weighting in the registry.

Just my 10c worth
    Onlyroosies

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    When FB for Roosies first came out PCGS allowed everyone to submit for FB review for free. I think they allowed this for a year. I don't remember if there were any restrictions as to who could submit. FB was to be given 2 bonus points in the registry and I think that's why PC did the free review. If the new PL designation doesn't add any bonus in the registry then I doubt PC will allow a free look. It will turn out to be like First Strike holders. For Roosies I don't see any significant premium for either PL or FS unless the designations affected the weighting in the registry.

Just my 10c worth
    Onlyroosies

IMHO, there is no sense in adding the PL to any coins unless you give it a 1 point bump in the registry. That's not even to say is PCGS going to give a CAM or DCAM designation or is it just limited to PL.

Back in 2003 when PCGS went to FB for Roosie dimes, they sent out an Email asking whether or not we wanted FB or FT. My initial response was FB because the Mercury dimes have the FB, so why not continue it. Everyone on the registries got to vote. PCGS then gave us I believe 30 days to get our dimes in for evaluations. Ihad very few FB dimes and had to essentially rebuild my already half complete Roosie set. Nick might be right though it has been 16yrs and I'm losing my mind. B)

So if PCGS does what I think they'll do it'll go something like this: BTW this is just an example as I know there is 2 of these.

2019-D First Strike PCGS MS69FBPL pop (1/0)

69 points for grade
    2 points for the FB
    1 point for the FS
    1 point for the PL
    1 point for the single pop 1 specimen

I could see this really being confusing for some especially competing for top spots.

@BrettPCGS could you please give us your opinion on the subject.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:

So if PCGS does what I think they'll do it'll go something like this: BTW this is just an example as I know there is 2 of these.

2019-D First Strike PCGS MS69FBPL pop (1/0)

69 points for grade
    2 points for the FB
    1 point for the FS
    1 point for the PL
    1 point for the single pop 1 specimen

I could see this really being confusing for some especially competing for top spots.

@BrettPCGS could you please give us your opinion on the subject.

I don't think PC will give any bonus points for FS. First Strike holders do not effect the coins surface, PL does. If 1 bonus point gets awarded for PL designation how will that affect the top pop and pop 1/0 bonus points. Will the PL be put above the non PL same grade coin like the plus does? In your example above will the MS69FBPL pop (1/0) receive the 2 bonus points for being pop 1/0 even though there are 2 69FB non-PL graded? Or will the PL be considered more or less like the varieties and become a sub-category to the date with it's own registry set. Hmmmmmm

Onlyroosies

• Options
    edited June 24, 2019 7:59PM

@onlyroosies Nick, please text me back.

• Options

No PL Bonus points. That will make it simple for the registry. IMHO I see no reason sending any clad Roosies in for PL designation. I see no premium for PL clad dimes. I do believe silver PL dimes will get a premium, though small.

• Options

I completely agree with no bonus points for PL, and especially none for FS (which in my view is simply a marketing gimmick). As for the PL designation I’d much rather take a nicely toned Roosie with no bonus points than a PL finish with points. IMHO.

• Options

Did PCGS announce no bonus points for PL? Can someone post that memo here please.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

If bonus points were to be awarded for the PL designation it would have been stated by PCGS already. This way PCGS does not have to offer any free review nor does it upset the Registry point system as it stands.

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2019 8:36PM

Had these two graded recently. 67 and 66 respectively.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

@Stooge said:
    Did PCGS announce no bonus points for PL? Can someone post that memo here please.

As long as they keep one set where no bonus are given for anything I will be happy. That is the only set I care about! :s

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

does this coin carry a higher grade with the roosie effect.
    Its on both sides in the same manner

• Options

Roosie Alert:
    For those who are not like Paul and I where we check the registry everyday, Take note of the resurgence of Danny Biddle. His silver set is now a complete FB set and just took over the #4 spot of current finest and climbing. 90 days ago there wasn’t an FB coin in the set. Not only are there now 48 FB Dimes but 3 (so far) are top pop MS 68FB. I’m not going to say we have a new player because Danny has been around for over 20 years. I will say it looks like he has a new found love for his Roosies and FB. Watch out above.....
    The Danny is back and with a vengeance.

Welcome back my old friend

Nick Cascio
    Onlyroosies

• Options

Thanks Nick for the friendly welcome back.
    It is amazing that this recent journey involving myself and Roosie dimes began AFTER I sent all of my PCGS Roosies to Heritage for auction back in February of this year. It was my understanding that all of these Roosies would be sent to PCGS to be checked for the FB upgrade, the + upgrade, and the possibility of a # upgrade, as everyone of my Roosies was bought by me BEFORE the FB grading, +grading started at PCGS. Unfortunately, all that Heritage asked PCGS to do was check each coin for the FB designation.
    I gave Heritage my silver Roosies only, not the clad. Almost 1300 Silver PCGS Roosies.
    When all of my dimes were returned to Heritage, from PCGS, I requested that they be returned to me, so that I could personally make arrangements to have all of them checked for the +upgrade and/or a number upgrade. It is my opinion that the grading standards at PCGS were much more strict back in the 1990's than they are today. Some of my MS67 Roosies have a great chance of receiving the + upgrade and/or a number upgrade.... Approximately 23% of the total dimes sent in for FB review came back as FB. Some tough dates included. Hopefully the upcoming process of vetting all of my dimes will yield some hidden gems. Time will tell, the process is about to begin.
    Danny Biddle
    Paris, KY.

• Options

Yes, I check the PCGS set registry several times a day, usually when I'm on doing other things and have noticed that Danny passed me on the registry like I was a parked car. His 3 complete silver sets are now back in the top 20. It's so refreshing to see him back after a very long hiatus and to watch his set grow daily.
    I can't wait to see what happens when PCGS gets around to giving the +'s and # increase I'm sure many of his dimes deserve.

Welcome back Danny.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:
    Yes, I check the PCGS set registry several times a day, usually when I'm on doing other things and have noticed that Danny passed me on the registry like I was a parked car. His 3 complete silver sets are now back in the top 20. It's so refreshing to see him back after a very long hiatus and to watch his set grow daily.
    I can't wait to see what happens when PCGS gets around to giving the +'s and # increase I'm sure many of his dimes deserve.

Welcome back Danny.

Paul.

Thanks Paul for the kind comments.
    When I came out of hibernation a few months ago, I rounded up my old Roosie Dime 3-ring binder. In it
    I kept a list of the names of the Roosie collectors and their Forum stage name.
    Believe it or not, on this list of many names, you were the very first one I recorded:
    STOOGE=PAUL B. GUNSALLUS
    Your name was just above the second name I recorded:
    REGISTRYCOIN=STEVE HELLER
    That was back in "the good ole days".
    Danny

• Options

@DANNY said:

@Stooge said:

Welcome back Danny.

Paul.

Thanks Paul for the kind comments.
    When I came out of hibernation a few months ago, I rounded up my old Roosie Dime 3-ring binder. In it
    I kept a list of the names of the Roosie collectors and their Forum stage name.
    Believe it or not, on this list of many names, you were the very first one I recorded:
    STOOGE=PAUL B. GUNSALLUS
    Your name was just above the second name I recorded:
    REGISTRYCOIN=STEVE HELLER
    That was back in "the good ole days".
    Danny

I remember either buying or selling a couple of Roosies to you I believe they were clads, which brings me to my next question. What are you planing on doing with your clads? You have some amazing clads and some insane dates in MS68. Even if just 1 of those had FB's it would be worth it.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DANNY said:
    Thanks Nick for the friendly welcome back.
    It is amazing that this recent journey involving myself and Roosie dimes began AFTER I sent all of my PCGS Roosies to Heritage for auction back in February of this year. It was my understanding that all of these Roosies would be sent to PCGS to be checked for the FB upgrade, the + upgrade, and the possibility of a # upgrade, as everyone of my Roosies was bought by me BEFORE the FB grading, +grading started at PCGS. Unfortunately, all that Heritage asked PCGS to do was check each coin for the FB designation.
    I gave Heritage my silver Roosies only, not the clad. Almost 1300 Silver PCGS Roosies.
    When all of my dimes were returned to Heritage, from PCGS, I requested that they be returned to me, so that I could personally make arrangements to have all of them checked for the +upgrade and/or a number upgrade. It is my opinion that the grading standards at PCGS were much more strict back in the 1990's than they are today. Some of my MS67 Roosies have a great chance of receiving the + upgrade and/or a number upgrade.... Approximately 23% of the total dimes sent in for FB review came back as FB. Some tough dates included. Hopefully the upcoming process of vetting all of my dimes will yield some hidden gems. Time will tell, the process is about to begin.
    Danny Biddle
    Paris, KY.

Might as well wait until July and have them designate PL as well.

• Options

@Stooge said:

I remember either buying or selling a couple of Roosies to you I believe they were clads, which brings me to my next question. What are you planing on doing with your clads? You have some amazing clads and some insane dates in MS68. Even if just 1 of those had FB's it would be worth it.

Paul: All of my clad PCGS Roosies will be vetted for:
    1. FB upgrade
    2. + upgrade
    3. Number upgrade
    The same arrangements have been made for both my PCGS silver and clad dimes.
    At the present time, all of my NGC Silver Roosies are being searched for possible cross-over.
    Just as with the PCGS coins, all of my NGC Roosies were bought by me BEFORE the FB and + designation went into effect.
    The NGC dimes consisted of two complete sets of silvers 1946-64 in MS67 (96 coins), in addition there are 11 NGC MS68 Roosies and a good number of additional MS67 coins.
    Danny

• Options

@DANNY said:

@Stooge said:

Paul: All of my clad PCGS Roosies will be vetted for:
    1. FB upgrade
    2. + upgrade
    3. Number upgrade
    The same arrangements have been made for both my PCGS silver and clad dimes.
    At the present time, all of my NGC Silver Roosies are being searched for possible cross-over.
    Just as with the PCGS coins, all of my NGC Roosies were bought by me BEFORE the FB and + designation went into effect.
    The NGC dimes consisted of two complete sets of silvers 1946-64 in MS67 (96 coins), in addition there are 11 NGC MS68 Roosies and a good number of additional MS67 coins.
    Danny

Danny, you certainly have the absolute mother load of Roosies.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@lablover said:
    Oh, you guy's; could there be a 53D that's out there that's MS68FB no one has seen, not even onlyroosies has seen?
    Raw sets contain some terrific Roosies, even onlyroosies has not seen them all...yet!!!.

Perhaps...

@onlyroosies said:

Has anyone seen this one. B)

I see the set composite has changed and there is a new 1953-D MS68FB, is this it?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

5 new MS68FB Roosies got slabbed. 46D went from 2 to 3. 48S went from 5 to 7 and the 53D now pop 1/0. I can pretty much assure you the 53D is not the one above. I'm sure we'll see them soon enough when they hit the market

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

“48S went from 5 to 7”

When a 32 year long finest known roosie pop jumps up about 40% in a week, we generally know where prices are headed on these!

Nick... might be time to build set #3! I’ll sell it for you like I did your first 2 sets. The 3rd time is a charm!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@wondercoin said:

Nick... might be time to build set #3! I’ll sell it for you like I did your first 2 sets. The 3rd time is a charm!

3 was a charm. Mitch you have sold 2 of my silver sets. But you forgot about the one that went to Dan Close. You sold #1 & #3. I’m officially Roosie Retired. There will be no set #4 from me.

John is now our Roosie Champion.

• Options

Hey Nick & John, this dime look familier? This was a coin I just missed as I didn't bid enough and it sold for a few bucks over $400. This exact coin was in an MS66+FB slab about 2 months ago or less.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

BTW, I have a huge regret not picking this coin up. That's why I'm mentioning it.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2019 4:36PM

I was the underbidder both times, when it sold as a 66+FB on eBay, and when it sold as a 67FB on GC. I'm out now. I have a feeling it'll go for too much money as a 67+FB.

Out of John's #5 Stellar set, this was my favorite coin, and I tried to buy it multiple times.

• Options

I originally got this coin from Lablover. I graded it MS67+FB. I sent it to PCGS 4 times and it always came back 66+FB. When john bought my set he ended up with it. It was my fault not having him pull it from being sold.

• Options

I'm never going to live that '57 down, am I?? To be fair I was so psyched to buy Nick's set and offload my dupes that I didn't go through the Silvers as closely as I should have. That'll be my albatross for a while. . . !

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 6:26PM

@onlyroosies said:
    I originally got this coin from Lablover. I graded it MS67+FB. I sent it to PCGS 4 times and it always came back 66+FB. When john bought my set he ended up with it. It was my fault not having him pull it from being sold.

Yep, I sort of sucked on this one. Think I sold it to Nick for a song. My eyes aren't as good as they once were. All of you should be ashamed of taking advantage of an old retired guy.

You know, I've lost count of the coins I've owned and under-graded that were later upgraded for big bucks. Happens to all of us. It's ok, since we're a brotherhood. :)

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

Talk about the ones we lost. In my early years (learning years) I sold an NGC 1946P MS67 for $1000. A dealer bought it and I thought I took him to the bank. 30 days later the NGC pop report showed a 1946P MS69* had just been graded. Yes it was the same coin and I bought it back for $5000. Top that one

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:
    Talk about the ones we lost. In my early years (learning years) I sold an NGC 1946P MS67 for $1000. A dealer bought it and I thought I took him to the bank. 30 days later the NGC pop report showed a 1946P MS69* had just been graded. Yes it was the same coin and I bought it back for $5000. Top that one

Talk about attending the school of hard knocks. Wow :o

• Options

@cointime said:

Yep, But from that point on I made sure I was on the other end more times than not. Like when I bought a 1955D raw Roosie off eBay for $35 and sold it for $8000 as the pop 1/0 MS68FB B)

• Options

@cointime said:

@onlyroosies said:

I would like to know how you got 1000 for a 67! Especially a ngc 67!!! :oB)

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

That was a very nice 67😉

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

Look familiar Nick?😉

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

I would like to know how you got 1000 for a 67! Especially a ngc 67!!! :oB)

The dealer that bought the coin was a known crack out specialist. I asked moon money hoping he thought it could grade 68 at PCGS. He looked at the dime for all of 15 seconds and then promptly wrote a check for my asking price. Later he told me he thought it was a lock 68 at PCGS and shot 69 at NGC. Back then a PC 68 silver Roosie would trade for $5K+. This was before FB and plus.

I have no idea where the coin is today

• Options

Recieved the latest copy of the Rare Coin Market Report from PCGS. There is an article in it regarding the prooflike coins. Here is what it says...

PCGS will use strict criteria for assinging the PL designation.
    1st) Both sides of the coin must display reflective surfaces.
    2nd) If the surface is reflective but overly cloudy, it will not receive the PL.
    3rd) If the coin shows excessive striations, the coin will fail to meet the PL.
    4th) Only 1 PL level will be assigned for coins other than Morgans, meaning DMPL is for Morgans only at this time.
    NO bonus registry points as of now. They may change their minds if enough collectors want it, and this is due to several reasons, like the population within a certain series of coins.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge All of the information given in the magazine about PCGS' standards regarding the PL designation could've been predicted. Hate to compare the two, but that's basically NGC's standards too.

The REAL question is wether they will allow toned coins into PL holders.
    A much larger question is wether Jim's 47S will PL at PCGS. Suppose we'll find out soon...