• Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Beautiful color,, LUV IT!!!

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    My new colorful 47-S.

What's not to like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 2019-D MS68FB PCGS Roosevelt Dime sold for $8.50 with $3.09 for the shipping....let that sink in.

I paid $50+ for mine.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

I have always wondered why some collectors are eager to buy the current years newest slabbed coins for the crazy prices that dealers charge. Some dealers correctly advertise their particular coin as a POP 1/0, because they were the first dealer to MAKE that particular coin, (asking price $1995.00 etc). A month later the pop is 25, a couple of months later the pop is 50, and the price is $19.95 (1/100th the original asking price). Why not wait till late in the calendar year and see how the pops of the current years coins are going to be before rushing to buy. Registry set collectors do not have to add the current year coins to their registry set until a much later date than the date the very first Pop 1/0 coin was made.
    I will try and buy the top pop 2019 Roosie clads late in 2019, when the pops are probably 100+. Hopefully they will be around $10-$15 each.
    Just sharing my personal opinion, right or wrong.
    Danny

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

FB> @Stooge said:

A 2019-D MS68FB PCGS Roosevelt Dime sold for $8.50 with $3.09 for the shipping....let that sink in.

I paid $50+ for mine.

When you go to the pop report for the 2019D it doesn't add the Discovery FBPL pops so its skewed. The actual pop when adding those in is 56 MS68FB/PL and 5 MS69FB/PL.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:
    FB> @Stooge said:

I paid $50+ for mine.

When you go to the pop report for the 2019D it doesn't add the Discovery FBPL pops so its skewed. The actual pop when adding those in is 56 MS68FB/PL and 5 MS69FB/PL.

Aren't all new clad coins PL? Really...the ones I get in change look like proofs. What's the big deal? :/

• Options

Is anyone willing to pay a premium for a PL. a silver maybe, but not a clad. I’d only pay a premium for a silver if I thought it looked cameo.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:
    Is anyone willing to pay a premium for a PL. a silver maybe, but not a clad. I’d only pay a premium for a silver if I thought it looked cameo.

Me. I just bought an NGC 1948-S 66PL for $150.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2019 7:54AM

Me, me me... for a clad quarter or Kennedy 50C though (my 2 MS series of focus). I always pursued those a little harder and more aggressively when they were pop top and PL.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2019 8:44AM

Speaking of modern coins set aside back in 1999 or 2000... I remember back in 1999 when the state quarters came out. The proof silver set was highly collectible. The Delaware in PCGS PR69DC was maybe a $100 coin tops, but the PR70DC was selling for the crazy sum of around $1,000 - $2,000. It was a tough coin to get in a 70 holder and collectors were paying up for them. David Hall Rare Coins was a big selling of these as I recall and PCGS was not even a public company back then.

Many folks were laughing at these collectors paying that kind of money for a coin struck the same year, not to mention it being a proof. I personally thought DHRC was “making a killing on these”.

I had just started “bulk grading” moderns maybe a year or two before this (beginning with MS Roosies) and I was determined to produce some of these PR70 Delaware coins at PCGS. I was never able to produce a single Delaware silver in 70 for the first roughly 8 years of my submitting them, but that is not the interesting part of this story.

The “crazy” collectors that paid that $1,000-$2,000/coin back in 1999 “struck gold”. When Michael Fuller sold his state quarter collection at Heritage in 2007, his Delaware Silver 70 fetched $17,250.00!! Other examples, privately or publicly, fetched “five figures” as well in that time period. Then, they started to go the other way - all the way down to $500/coin today- 20 years later.

A collector waiting on a PR70 Silver Delaware could have literally paid about $1,000, $2,000, $3000, $4000 and all the way to $17,250 depending upon whether he wanted to wait 1 year all the way up to 8 years to buy his coin. If he waited about (10) years, he was facing roughly a $5,000-$10,000 asking price. If he had (20) years to buy his coin, he could pay $500 now. Or, he could have bought in 1999/2000 for $1,500 and sold in 2007/2008 for $12,500-$17,500. Or, never sold and lost half his money now 20 years later! Lol.

This is not the only example of a modern coin being a decent buy “out of the gate”. Heck, early on, I passed on the potential opportunity to buy a 1975 No S Dime for under $40,000. I think Nick did too if memory serves me right.

Anyway, as the PCGS founder always said... “have fun with your coins”.

Just my 2 cents (and bored waiting for a flight to Hong Kong of all places to fly at this time!) Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

1946 NGC MS69*

• Options
    KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

What a stunner! Where’d you get those pics, Gary?

imagineifthathadbands

• Options

Ummm, that’s what a “#” does before a word on this forum. Lesson learned. . .

• Options

@ilikemonsters said:
    1946 NGC MS69*

Maybe it's the pic and/or the fact that this coin is in a ngc holder, but it doesn't look 69 to me. More like a 67 or even a 66 if that neck is accurate. JMHO

• Options

I once owned that 1946. This is a 10 - 15 year old pic taken on a phone from a computer enlarged pic. The coin is as pure as any Roosie I have ever held. Put it in a fresh NGC or PCGS holder and it will pop. MS69 314 days a year. :)

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    I once owned that 1946. This is a 10 - 15 year old pic taken on a phone from a computer enlarged pic. The coin is as pure as any Roosie I have ever held. Put it in a fresh NGC or PCGS holder and it will pop. MS69 314 days a year. :)

Where is the coin and is it in a PCGS slab?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

I have no idea where the coin is and I don't see it in the PC pop report so I'm sure it's still in the NGC star holder

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2019 12:51PM

The Halcyon Collection is #1 - Congratulations Roosie Buddy!!!!!

"The Halcyon Collection - Roosevelt Dimes FB Basic Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1946-Present)
    Wow! Not only does this set contain 27 single finest known coins, it has a large number of coins that are tied for finest known as well. With over 250 coins required, this set has a Set Rating of 70.71."

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

@lablover said:

"The Halcyon Collection - Roosevelt Dimes FB Basic Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1946-Present)
    Wow! Not only does this set contain 27 single finest known coins, it has a large number of coins that are tied for finest known as well. With over 250 coins required, this set has a Set Rating of 70.71."

As nice as this is, and I say congratulation many times over, why on earth is this set not H.o.F. worthy???
    I think it's time that PCGS gave the Roosevelt Dime a place in the H.o.F.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:

@lablover said:

As nice as this is, and I say congratulation many times over, why on earth is this set not H.o.F. worthy???
    I think it's time that PCGS gave the Roosevelt Dime a place in the H.o.F.

I agree that is a very impressive set of Roosies and worthy of a H.O.F.

• Options

Thank you Jim, Paul, and Jon! I couldn't have done it without the Roosie Gang (including some guy named Nick who I've heard lurks around here periodically). And we'll keep upping the game this upcoming year, no doubt.

As for the set itself I personally don't think it's HOF yet - once we fill the last two FB holes ('74 and '90) and we upgrade some more of the silvers (and a few proofs) then we'll be getting closer. BTW, Hansen looks to have bought the sole '74 67FB and put it in his set this week - that definitely stuck in my craw! If anyone has access to a couple thousand '74 & '90 mint sets let me know. . . :D

-John

• Options

In the next few years the U.S. Mint will put out a brand new design in the dime series.
    The Roosie dime series is the only U.S. coin that has not been re-designed in the recent past.
    Once the Roosie Dime series becomes a closed-end series, its popularity and collector demand will
    increase substantially.. Then John Q. Public may/should give the series the respect that it has been lacking.

Congrats John on this amazing set of coins.
    I thank you for all of the help you have been to me over these last few months, and I hope that I am able to return the favor
    in the near future.
    The Roosie Dime gang is a great group of guys.
    I am so happy to be a small part of the gang.
    Danny

• Options

@Khayman said:
    BTW, Hansen looks to have bought the sole '74 67FB and put it in his set this week - that definitely stuck in my craw! If anyone has access to a couple thousand '74 & '90 mint sets let me know. . . :D

-John

Did you really want this dime in your set? It looks like a MS65 at best with no full bottom bands. Not sure how they gave it a 7FB but it's not a FB dime IMHO.

@DANNY said:
    In the next few years the U.S. Mint will put out a brand new design in the dime series.
    The Roosie dime series is the only U.S. coin that has not been re-designed in the recent past.
    Once the Roosie Dime series becomes a closed-end series, its popularity and collector demand will
    increase substantially.. Then John Q. Public may/should give the series the respect that it has been lacking.

Congrats John on this amazing set of coins.
    I thank you for all of the help you have been to me over these last few months, and I hope that I am able to return the favor
    in the near future.
    The Roosie Dime gang is a great group of guys.
    I am so happy to be a small part of the gang.
    Danny

Danny, I've personally spoken to 2 U.S. Mint directors in person (At the Nationals) about the dime being redesigned and I got a resounding NO. I couldn't even get them to start selling new dimes via rolls/bags on their stinkin' website and this was when every denomination was being sold that way.
    Keep dreamin' because the Roosevelt dime is here to stay for the unforseeable future.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

To quote from the movie The Shawshank Redemption:
    HOPE IS A GOOD THING!!!! B)B););)

• Options

I hope nobody’s feeling green today!

Here’s my 55P which I crossed from PCGS MS66 to receive the star designation.

• Options

@ilikemonsters said:
    I hope nobody’s feeling green today!

Here’s my 55P which I crossed from PCGS MS66 to receive the star designation.

Beautiful coin, but I would rather have this coin back in the PCGS66 holder.

• Options

@DIMEMAN Always an option down the road...

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

That’s a pretty coin in any holder.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2019 12:27PM

I just noticed that Danny just jumped to 1st over myself and John in the Complete Roosie's Variety Set 1965 - present no bands. And bringing up 4th is Hanson. B) First 3 are pretty tight.

WTG Danny! :)

• Options

Thanks Jon for the shout out.....
    I just pointed the following out to Nick a little earlier today (Labor Day), that the Pop Report for the
    1953D MS67+FB Roosie has changed dramatically over the last few days.
    Back in June of this year the pop was listed at 42.
    A few weeks later, the pop dropped to 35, then 34.
    In the last few days, the pop has dropped to 21, exactually one-half what it was a few months ago.
    Looks like a dealer finally sent in has cracked-out labels and/or PCGS has finally decided to update their pop reports by deleteing the crack-out return labels.
    If PCGS updates their pop reports DAILY to reflect the new coins that were graded that day, they should also update the pop reports DAILY with returned crack-out labels, (not every few months like it seems to be).
    Danny

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

After haunting this thread for months I just want to say I hate you all. I don’t need something else to collect and yet I’ve spent half the day searching toned roosies on eBay. :D:p:D

It seems like doing a 46-64 circulation strikes set of some sort would be attainable for my limited budget if I stick to around MS66 and maybe MS66 FB. Even paying a big premium for toned shows a lot in the sub $100 range and honestly some under $50 with out the FB designation. Toned still seems to be 2x - 3x the PCGS Priceguide. I guess that’s normal?

I’m not looking for registry glory but most things I like, toned commemoratives and toned Lincoln’s seem to run much higher cost for lower grade compared to the Roosies.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options

Sirius,
    You can do a very nice set in 67 with no bands for not a lot of $$. Forget the bands and look for toning.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options

@SiriusBlack said:
    After haunting this thread for months I just want to say I hate you all. I don’t need something else to collect and yet I’ve spent half the day searching toned roosies on eBay. :D:p:D

It seems like doing a 46-64 circulation strikes set of some sort would be attainable for my limited budget if I stick to around MS66 and maybe MS66 FB. Even paying a big premium for toned shows a lot in the sub $100 range and honestly some under $50 with out the FB designation. Toned still seems to be 2x - 3x the PCGS Priceguide. I guess that’s normal?

I’m not looking for registry glory but most things I like, toned commemoratives and toned Lincoln’s seem to run much higher cost for lower grade compared to the Roosies.

@rainbowroosie said it best. Forget the bands, and look for toning. If you find a beautifully toned Roosie with FB, then so be it, but I wouldn't go out of your way to do it.

• Options

Thanks, @rainbowroosie and @ilikemonsters I’m not sure I can see the difference with my untrained eye between MS67 and 66 :/ I’m glad to hear I don’t need to chase the FB designations. Is there a reason for that? I just assumed they were more desirable but I’ve seen some of you mention here not bothering to go back and update. Is it just to much of a premium price for registry glory?

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack said:
    Thanks, @rainbowroosie and @ilikemonsters I’m not sure I can see the difference with my untrained eye between MS67 and 66 :/ I’m glad to hear I don’t need to chase the FB designations. Is there a reason for that? I just assumed they were more desirable but I’ve seen some of you mention here not bothering to go back and update. Is it just to much of a premium price for registry glory?

At the $30-$100 price level I’d suggest an album of raw coins. I think it’s fun to look at a lot of them together and 48 slabs is pretty bulky. Plus, you won’t end up paying a lot for the plastic. I would be happy to give you a good deal on a few nice ones if you go that route. Also, @ilikemonsters has a great 52-S available right now.

• Options

@david3142 I do have a LoC album with a couple in it. I tend to hunt those down at local coin stores. You might be right though about the cost, not to mention it would help me learn more about the series without dropping as much money. Also my safe is rather full now :D

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I would take some pics on a point and shoot 12Mp :)

• Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was introduced to Roosevelts back in April. Never collected them or had any interest. Was offered a couple nice toners in trade for a coin I had listed on the BST and decided to take it. Once I got them in hand they grew on me a little, these little pieces could develop some really nice color and not break the bank. Soon after I was hooked and began putting together a registry set. Not trying to become #1 by any means, not looking for highest graded or lowest pops just putting together a nice eye appealing set of mid/high MS toners. I am about halfway through, my pictures need some work but here are a few of my nicer examples so far.
    Grades in order of pictures shown are
    65+FB
    67+
    66FB

• Options

Those are a great start to a raw set in a Capitol holder

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are also a great start for a registry.

• Options

Beautiful coins. I love pretty toning. These little discs will grow on you, they are like Lays Potato chips, "No one can have just one!!!!!"

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just found a great tune....I mean toner,

and so pronounced. Reverse not so cool.