Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #6

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those who missed it... Big Roosie Dime Summit took place in So. CA yesterday morning.

Nick started the meeting with a gift for Justin immediately “softening Justin up” on his asking price for the 69FB PL FDI dime (that’s 3 official designations on a coin for anyone that cares Lol) that Nick acknowledged is now a much better coin than it was a few weeks ago. Nick also raised his offer for the dime by a staggering amount! While a deal was not closed yesterday the parties did get much closer on a future deal (sort of like the China/USA ongoing talks).

Other notable topics of conversation... how to fly to Europe First Class for free by simply buying a car.

All kidding aside... Great seeing you again Nick!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here remember the Michigan collection? This set was #1 complete when I came in around I want to say 1997-1998??? It was the only complete 1965-date set when I started and was in last place which was around 12th, as there was no one doing this set. He had an incredible run of early MS68’s. This set one day up and disappeared and I’ve never known who’s set it was. Any info would be great...

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    For those who missed it... Big Roosie Dime Summit took place in So. CA yesterday morning.

Nick started the meeting with a gift for Justin immediately “softening Justin up” on his asking price for the 69FB PL FDI dime (that’s 3 official designations on a coin for anyone that cares Lol) that Nick acknowledged is now a much better coin than it was a few weeks ago. Nick also raised his offer for the dime by a staggering amount! While a deal was not closed yesterday the parties did get much closer on a future deal (sort of like the China/USA ongoing talks).

Other notable topics of conversation... how to fly to Europe First Class for free by simply buying a car.

All kidding aside... Great seeing you again Nick!

Wondercoin

I wouldn't call it a... Big Roosie Dime Summit since our main focus was bullion related. Our conversation did quickly roll over to, How Mitch travels all around the world is style and all almost FREE... I am but a student of his is this regard. How to get a $15K first class ticket to Asia for less than $2K.

I did raise my offer substantially for the 2019D MS69FB PL Roosie, Percentage wise. Money wise we are still several miles apart. I'm not so sure we're that much closer on a future deal, especially if others get made. My percentage of more getting slabbed decreased substantially there-for my raised offer.

It's always good times and good conversation when meeting Mitch and Justin for lunch.

Onlyroosies

• Options

I'd imagine that more of the 9FBPL's will be mad, but for now, I'll be happy with an 8FBPL for around $40. Anyone have one to sell me at this price?

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I'd imagine that more of the 9FBPL's will be mad, but for now, I'll be happy with an 8FBPL for around $40. Anyone have one to sell me at this price?

I agree Paul. I just can't spend big money on clad Dimes. It's just something I can't do. Not knocking those who do, but I just can't do it. :/

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Stooge said:

I agree Paul. I just can't spend big money on clad Dimes. It's just something I can't do. Not knocking those who do, but I just can't do it. :/

If it ain't Silver, it's not a real dime... :o

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

@lablover said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Stooge said:

If it ain't Silver, it's not a real dime... :o

I would pay pretty big money for a 1983-D 501. :)

• Options

“I'd imagine that more of the 9FBPL's will be mad, but for now, I'll be happy with an 8FBPL for around $40. Anyone have one to sell me at this price?”

Paul. I don’t strongly disagree. What I can say (and of course this is irrelevant to Nick, but very relevant to me) is it personally cost me around $20,000.00 in fees and costs to produce those -2- dimes. Of course, we got a mountain of other lesser grade slabs in the process and we sell them off, one at a time, at mostly $20-$100 each. I may even “break even” sometime in 2020 or 2021 without selling the 2 dimes if prior history is any indication. But, this the reason I am not highly motivated to “dump” the dimes and move on. And, of course, I may regret later not selling them at current levels.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@wondercoin said:
    “I'd imagine that more of the 9FBPL's will be mad, but for now, I'll be happy with an 8FBPL for around $40. Anyone have one to sell me at this price?”

Paul. I don’t strongly disagree. What I can say (and of course this is irrelevant to Nick, but very relevant to me) is it personally cost me around $20,000.00 in fees and costs to produce those -2- dimes. Of course, we got a mountain of other lesser grade slabs in the process and we sell them off, one at a time, at mostly $20-$100 each. I may even “break even” sometime in 2020 or 2021 without selling the 2 dimes if prior history is any indication. But, this the reason I am not highly motivated to “dump” the dimes and move on. And, of course, I may regret later not selling them at current levels.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

With 20K invested ……. that is a lot of coins that you thought had a shot. What Kind of grades do you have to sell off and for how much?

• Options

@wondercoin said:

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

MItch, I can't compete with anything like $20,000, so for me to understand those #'s is crazy. You have played in the deep end for a few yrs now and I've heard stories like a closet full of worthless MS65/66 State quarter slabs you can't sell, but I can't give my money away to high price moderns anymore. Been burned to many times.

BTW, is PCGS going to require 2 different 2019-D's this year or just 1???

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:

@wondercoin said:

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

MItch, I can't compete with anything like $20,000, so for me to understand those #'s is crazy. You have played in the deep end for a few yrs now and I've heard stories like a closet full of worthless MS65/66 State quarter slabs you can't sell, but I can't give my money away to high price moderns anymore. Been burned to many times.

BTW, is PCGS going to require 2 different 2019-D's this year or just 1???

Paul, why would you need 2 19-D's?

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

I was wondering if PCGS was going to require the regular business strike and the 2019-D from the "Explore & Discover" set.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I was wondering if PCGS was going to require the regular business strike and the 2019-D from the "Explore & Discover" set.

I doubt it. They have had different labels others years and they all worked. If they start doing that I may be out of the clads!

I was thrilled when they dropped the Satin crap! :)

• Options

“With 20K invested ……. that is a lot of coins that you thought had a shot. What Kind of grades do you have to sell off and for how much?”

Dimeman. I consign everything to my son, Justin. So, please have a look at Monster CM’s items for sale on eBay. Grades start at MS63 for the blank cents and up from there.

Paul. It is true that I own a lot of lower grade coins that are difficult to sell. But, that comes with the territory of chasing top pops. I have heard nothing on requirements, but it would not surprise me if only 1 of anything was required for most sets.

Wondercoin

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Stooge said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I doubt it. They have had different labels others years and they all worked. If they start doing that I may be out of the clads!

They require the Satin Finish dimes in a few of the FB sets. You just have to look.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Stooge said:

@DIMEMAN said:

They require the Satin Finish dimes in a few of the FB sets. You just have to look.

Not since about 2010.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe somebody thought it would go FB? The bands looks pretty good to me.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

I was the underbidder.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    I was the underbidder.

I was the under under bidder.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2019 10:36AM

@Stooge said:

@rainbowroosie said:
    I was the underbidder.

I was the under under bidder.

I was under at least one or more of you! Beautiful Dime! I did have this one to fall back on though. :)

• Options

The last half dozen posts once again prove what I’ve preached for 40 years... All 67s/68s are not the same...eye appeal matters a lot...conversely, there are some very unappealing Roosies in high graded holders.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2019 3:12PM

@rainbowroosie said:
    The last half dozen posts once again prove what I’ve preached for 40 years... All 67s/68s are not the same...eye appeal matters a lot...conversely, there are some very unappealing Roosies in high graded holders.

Yes, and you own most of those "unappealing Roosies in high graded holders". ;)

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

Jim,
    You are right. :/

I’m thinking of changing my board name to Fuglyroosies.

• Options
    edited May 28, 2019 8:48PM

Got back from PCGS - a couple 2018-D Roosies in top pop MS68FB FS. Old best was a pop 1/0 MS67FB.

Wondercoin

• Options

Does the first strike label bring any bonus points to the Roosie set because I have a couple of them and I haven’t noticed anything .

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:
    Does the first strike label bring any bonus points to the Roosie set because I have a couple of them and I haven’t noticed anything .

As far as I know no bonus points for SF or PL

• Options

I did > @rainbowroosie said:

Does that mean you don't like my 47-D? :(

• Options

O.K. guys, been following these threads for awhile now and I must say I've learned a lot. Beautiful Roosies too. I can't compete financially for the beautiful coins you all have. I have a question if I may ask. Searching for white MS66 fb that you high end guys don't get excited about. Do you pass on these ? Have any for sale ? Or is there sources ( besides eBay ) where I may find them. 46 to 64 set is 95% complete. I understand some of the clads in fb are rare. Just trying to " fill in the holes "

• Options

@Tom1471 said:
    O.K. guys, been following these threads for awhile now and I must say I've learned a lot. Beautiful Roosies too. I can't compete financially for the beautiful coins you all have. I have a question if I may ask. Searching for white MS66 fb that you high end guys don't get excited about. Do you pass on these ? Have any for sale ? Or is there sources ( besides eBay ) where I may find them. 46 to 64 set is 95% complete. I understand some of the clads in fb are rare. Just trying to " fill in the holes "

Check out GreatCollections; I frequently see MS66FB's listed.

• Options

@Tom1471 said:

Every once in a while I have an extra Roosie when I upgrade from a 66FB to a 67 no bands.

• Options

@Tom1471 said:

Welcome to the show!!!
    What dates are you needing? I have tons of extras, not all dates but some.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Dimeman,

I like this one more.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Before anybody confronts @rainbowroosie about his 47D being in the wrong plastic..
    The coin IS in PCGS holder....
    It's deserving of the grade, it is technically there, and is eye appealing. You've got yourself a great 47D Billy!

• Options

Lablover, I should have said that besides eBay I also use Great Collections. ( white 71-D MS66 fb should be in hand tomorrow from GC ) Still needing a 47, 47-D, 53, 60, 61 and 63-D in untoned MS-66 fb in a PCGS holder. 57 and 58 fb are out of my financial capabilities for the forseeable future.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 10:59AM

@Tom1471 said:
    Lablover, I should have said that besides eBay I also use Great Collections. ( white 71-D MS66 fb should be in hand tomorrow from GC ) Still needing a 47, 47-D, 53, 60, 61 and 63-D in untoned MS-66 fb in a PCGS holder. 57 and 58 fb are out of my financial capabilities for the forseeable future.

I have a 58 65fb as a dupe. If you want, PM me.
    Edit: I'm pretty sure I have a 57 65fb as well.

• Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone, Danny Biddle from Paris, KY. reporting back in,,, to the Roosey Dime collector gang.
    I have been inactive with my Roosey collection since about 2010. Got frustrated when PCGS decided to start
    grading the Rooseys in Full Band. I have been sitting on my inventory of Rooseys that I purchased before the Full Band craze started. Just now coming out of hiding. With the help of Heritage Auction Company, my entire collection of SILVER Rooseys, from 1946-1964 has been sent to PCGS for the Full Band review, as all of these coins were purchased by me before the Full Band grading craze started. Approximately 1700 dimes were sent to PCGS. I have received back from PCGS, about two-thirds of these dimes. At present, approximately 23% of them have been upgraded to FULL BAND, about what I expected.
    I have already added some of the new Full Band coins to my Registry Sets.... I only sent in TWO of my CLAD Rooseys,
    the 1999P MS69 and 1999D MS69. I am excited to report that both of these coins have been upgraded to FULL BAND.
    I believe that the 99P MS69FB is the only one of it's kind, Pop 1/0.
    Good to be back in the loop. You can be on the Look-out for many of my upgraded Full Band coins in an upcoming Heritage Auction, as well as those silver Rooseys that did not make the Full Band upgrade.
    I have missed being a part of the PCGS Roosey Dime Registry, buy have learned that time heals all wounds.
    Danny

• Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    Dimeman,

I like this one more.

So do I ! ;) So far 67+ is top of the line for me.

• Options

@DANNY said:
    Hello everyone, Danny Biddle from Paris, KY. reporting back in,,, to the Roosey Dime collector gang.
    I have been inactive with my Roosey collection since about 2010. Got frustrated when PCGS decided to start
    grading the Rooseys in Full Band. I have been sitting on my inventory of Rooseys that I purchased before the Full Band craze started. Just now coming out of hiding. With the help of Heritage Auction Company, my entire collection of SILVER Rooseys, from 1946-1964 has been sent to PCGS for the Full Band review, as all of these coins were purchased by me before the Full Band grading craze started. Approximately 1700 dimes were sent to PCGS. I have received back from PCGS, about two-thirds of these dimes. At present, approximately 23% of them have been upgraded to FULL BAND, about what I expected.
    I have already added some of the new Full Band coins to my Registry Sets.... I only sent in TWO of my CLAD Rooseys,
    the 1999P MS69 and 1999D MS69. I am excited to report that both of these coins have been upgraded to FULL BAND.
    Good to be back in the loop. You can be on the Look-out for many of my upgraded Full Band coins in an upcoming Heritage Auction, as well as those silver Rooseys that did not make the Full Band upgrade.
    I have missed being a part of the PCGS Roosey Dime Registry, buy have learned that time heals all wounds.
    Danny

Welcome back Danny, Its been a long time. Are you liquidating all of your Roosies or just the silvers? I would be interested in the 99P & D 69FB you have. PM me if they are for sale.
    It's nice to hear from you Danny

Nick

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 4:00PM

no PL :/

• Options

@Tetromibi said:

Is it for sale?

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:

@Tetromibi said:

Is it for sale?

Will be once I get it. Grades just popped.

No PL on any of my first batch of mint set coins. Several of them were every bit as PL as the rocket Kennedy’s.

• Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:

@DANNY said:
    Danny

Welcome back Danny, Its been a long time. Are you liquidating all of your Roosies or just the silvers? I would be interested in the 99P & D 69FB you have. PM me if they are for sale.
    It's nice to hear from you Danny

Nick

Nice to hear from you Nick. Most of my silver Rooseys will be in some upcoming Heritage Auctions that are to be determined., as well as the two clad 1999
    P and D MS69FB Roosies. Gonna keep all of the other clad ones for now and work on that set for awhile.
    I was happy to get a Full Band upgrade from PCGS on a few Roosies with pops less than 20: 1949,1957,1961,1963D.
    Still over 500 coins to be looked at by PCGS.
    Danny

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

Not going to get the PL unless..... or Unless......

• Options
    edited May 31, 2019 12:01PM

Does the PL designation really matter since most of the dimes are PL whether designated or not. I'm giving 0 premium for PL and First Strike designations.

• Options

@DANNY said:
    Danny

Welcome back to the boards @DANNY Glad to have you come back after all these years. I've often wondered what happened to you and those 3 complete MS67 sets. PCGS actually did us a favor back in the day by going to the FB designation. I appreciated it at the time and still do to this day. I imagine that John will have a complete set of FB's soon. I have faith in him.

I do have a few questions/comments for you Danny.

I remeber you saying that you have/had 3 or more NGC sets from years ago that were also complete MS67 sets. What happened to those if you don't mind me asking???
    Did PCGS honor your free FB review through Heritage as PCGS gave everyone in the registry back in the day a free review of all of their dimes???
    If you submitted 1,700 dimes, how is it that (From looking at your sets now) that you did not receive any upgrades to any of the 3 PCGS MS67 sets other than FB's??? Not a single MS67 was upgraded to an MS67+FB or an 8FB? If that is true I find that quite disturbing.
    What made you decide to send all of the dimes to Heritage???

I have many more questions, but this will do for now.

Glad to have you back and hope you post more often.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@onlyroosies said:
    Does the PL designation really matter since most of the dimes are PL whether designated or not. I'm giving 0 premium for PL and First Strike designations.

I couldn't agree more Nick! All this special crap on the label is useless unless it has FS- in it! :)

• Options

Hi Danny. Congrats on the upgrades! I will also keep an eye out for your coins at Heritage. Nice to take a 9 year break! I should do it with my quarters! Lol.

Wondercoin

• Options

“No PL on any of my first batch of mint set coins. Several of them were every bit as PL as the rocket Kennedy’s.”

Congrats to you on making a very tough coin! The nickels and dimes were the toughest coins for us to locate in high grade from the mint sets. We screened a “ton” of them. I don’t expect to see many, if any, PL grades from our mint set submissions either when they come back from grading. We have INCREDIBLE PL 2018-D Kennedy coins (stronger in some cases than very nice RS coins) in pop top MS67 and none of them (or any 2018 mint set coin for that matter) received the designation yet.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin