Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #6

Comments

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:
    @Stooge All of the information given in the magazine about PCGS' standards regarding the PL designation could've been predicted. Hate to compare the two, but that's basically NGC's standards too.

The REAL question is wether they will allow toned coins into PL holders.
    A much larger question is wether Jim's 47S will PL at PCGS. Suppose we'll find out soon...

This is all very nice but I need to let you in on a small secret. I don't do NGC nor will I ever. I've bought my share of their dimes and I personally don't like them as I'm a fan of PCGS, now having said that I've been on their website maybe a dozen times in 20yrs. so I wasn't at all aware of the PL over there, so thanks for informing me on that. I do appreciate it. B)

Like I said earlier, I will possibly test the waters and send in a small 5-6 dime reconsideration for PL regrade just for fun and to see what I get. Wish me luck.

Later, Paul.

BTW, can someone give me another lesson on just how the "Star designation" works over at NGC and do you think PCGS will take on that at some point in the future?

Thanks Roosie Bros!!!

Later, Paul.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:

A much larger question is wether Jim's 47S will PL at PCGS. Suppose we'll find out soon...

One of the example coins was a PCGS 1871CC Dime graded with the PL designation and the coin was toned.

@onlyroosies said:

@ilikemonsters said:

One of the example coins was a PCGS 1871CC Dime graded with the PL designation and the coin was toned.

Nick, I know you know dimes and that 1871-CC is an absolte stunner. You hardly ever see that date in high grades. What an amazing dime.

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

@ilikemonsters said:

Nick, I know you know dimes and that 1871-CC is an absolte stunner. You hardly ever see that date in high grades. What an amazing dime.

Here is that dime to give you some sort of idea as to what kinda toners PCGS will give the PL.

1871-CC MS65+PL

Later, Paul.
  • TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2019 4:42PM

disregard, was apparently missed an entire page.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

@ilikemonsters said:

Here is that dime to give you some sort of idea as to what kinda toners PCGS will give the PL.

1871-CC MS65+PL

Which would you rather have...….. this 1871-CC + 64K spending money OR that 38-S Mercury that Hanson just bought!!!!
    :o

@DIMEMAN said:

@Stooge said:

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

@ilikemonsters said:

1871-CC MS65+PL

Which would you rather have...….. this 1871-CC + 64K spending money OR that 38-S Mercury that Hanson just bought!!!!

No contest, this 1871-CC.

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Stooge said:

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

@ilikemonsters said:

1871-CC MS65+PL

No contest, this 1871-CC.

Me too! And this PL on moderns seems silly to me. All new clad Dimes look PL to me. At what does it matter really since they were made yesterday...….they should look really nice!

• DANNYDANNY Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Hey there Roosie Collectors.
    I am having a hard time filling a vacant hole in my clad Roosie set. Cannot find a 2005D FB dime in any grade. Anyone out there got one they would like to sell or trade?

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Off to FUN. See you soon Billy! @rainbowroosie

• CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2019 7:28PM

I am planning to post a Roosie topic on Hansen watch sometime late tomorrow afternoon or evening. You guys may find it to be interesting. Also, I know you have more knowledge about Roosies than me. Feel free to correct any mistakes and misperceptions.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
    edited July 8, 2019 7:26PM

Let me know when posted, I'll be right over

@Currin said:
    I am planning to post a Roosie topic on Hansen watch sometime late tomorrow afternoon or evening. You guys may find it to be interesting. Also, I know you have more knowledge about Roosies than me. Feel free to correct any mistakes and misperceptions.

@Currin Thank you for taking the time to let us know in advance, very kind of you. Talking about Roosevelt Dimes in that thread is a big boost and puts Roosie on the same playing field as the other greats in the coin world, so for that I appreciate it. All coins are equal in the complete set.

I would hope you mention some of his history with his silver set and please highlight the clads if you will as they don't get enough exposure on the big screen. Lots of pictures too.

Later, Paul.

I see another 1960-D MS68FB was popped. This makes a pop 2 now.

If someone keeps picking off Hansens pop 1's and his total GPA drops with each new pop 2, John has a ligit shot at catching him, that is if the planets align properly.

Hansen lost 0.014 and 0.015 with the last 2 dimes being upgraded. So john gained 0.058 points since Feb. 1st w/o even doing anything. Going to be very interesting to see what happens in the next year.

Later, Paul.

BTW I sent PCGS an Email because the Roosevelt Dime pop report is a total mess from about 2016-date. Has anyone looked at it lately?

None of the 2017-S even show up in the report, and just 2 of the 2019-D PL appear.

I'll let you know what PCGS says.

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:
    I see another 1960-D MS68FB was popped. This makes a pop 2 now.

If someone keeps picking off Hansens pop 1's and his total GPA drops with each new pop 2, John has a ligit shot at catching him, that is if the planets align properly.

Hansen lost 0.014 and 0.015 with the last 2 dimes being upgraded. So john gained 0.058 points since Feb. 1st w/o even doing anything. Going to be very interesting to see what happens in the next year.

John gained 10 points on Hansen when the 49P 68FB pop went to 2 and John bought the coin and Hansen lost pop 1/0 bonus points. I believe John will eventually catch Hansen's silver's. But Hansen can never catch John's clads or John's complete 46-date set.

Plus John's got the Roosie Gang working for him.... B)

I doubt it really meaningful in the grand picture that Hansen is painting if he is #1 or #2. I think the important point is he is not over looking the Roosies. I personally think it is good for the Roosie community (gang). I do think he wants a very nice set of them. As for clads, if I recall, JB said at some point they were not chasing the POP 1/0 clads, for the reason the chance of staying 1/0 was not very good. I don’t think that has changed.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

The problem with playing the 1/0 --> 2/0 game is that at some point MY 1/0s get called and I start losing points lol ! We'll keep plugging along nonetheless.

As for the Roosie Gang, I literally couldn't be competitive without you all. Not only have you helped on the collecting front, but you have made this such an enjoyable experience to the point where I couldn't ask for a better group of collecting friends. Each of us all helping each other is what it's all about at the end of the day. Already looking forward to seeing you all at FUN in January!

@Currin said:
    I doubt it really meaningful in the grand picture that Hansen is painting if he is #1 or #2. I think the important point is he is not over looking the Roosies. I personally think it is good for the Roosie community (gang). I do think he wants a very nice set of them. As for clads, if I recall, JB said at some point they were not chasing the POP 1/0 clads, for the reason the chance of staying 1/0 was not very good. I don’t think that has changed.

I agree with everything you said. I think it's the opposite of what JB said. I can agree with him on 2000 - date clads. It is far more difficult on the 1965 -1999 dates slabbing a high grade clad in FB or any grade in FB. I would bet that within 10 years there will be an MS68FB in all the silver date and mint marks. I would also bet that within 10 years there will be dates in the clads with less than 5 in all grades with FB.

@Stooge said:
    BTW I sent PCGS an Email because the Roosevelt Dime pop report is a total mess from about 2016-date. Has anyone looked at it lately?

None of the 2017-S even show up in the report, and just 2 of the 2019-D PL appear.

I'll let you know what PCGS says.

Paul, Thanks for that. Let me know when it gets fixed. It's been bugging the H@#% out of me.

@onlyroosies said:

@Currin said:

I agree with everything you said. I think it's the opposite of what JB said. I can agree with him on 2000 - date clads. It is far more difficult on the 1965 -1999 dates slabbing a high grade clad in FB or any grade in FB. I would bet that within 10 years there will be an MS68FB in all the silver date and mint marks. I would also bet that within 10 years there will be dates in the clads with less than 5 in all grades with FB.

Hi Nick,
    You know Roosies better that anyone. I should been a little more clear. What I think I remember JB saying, they were not chasing any POP1/0 clads right now. If I recall correctly, this statement made when he was quizzed about some Ikes that were available. I am not sure if JB even considered difficult for early Roosies clads. I think the last time I looked, Hansen had maybe 13 POP1/0 for all clad series. This is well below the average for his collection. I have no doubt what you saying is true. Maybe JB will see this post and modify post his strategy at some point if only for Roosies.

By the way, I am down to only 17 remaining clad Roosies. I been working on the set a very long time. Thanks to you and Stooge, I am closer than ever. They are not easy to find.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2019 6:11PM

“But Hansen can never catch John's clads or John's complete 46-date set.”

Not true Nick- all that has to happen is for PCGS to give bonus registry points for PL graded coins. Agree?

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

@wondercoin said:
    “But Hansen can never catch John's clads or John's complete 46-date set.”

Not true Nick- all that has to happen is for PCGS to give bonus registry points for PL graded coins. Agree?

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

You are correct. I'm not taking into account additional points added to the registry. I never would have caught Steve Heller if it wasn't for PCGS adding FB, and JHF's set never would have been passed if the plus, top pop and pop 1 bonus didn't exist.

I will qualify my statement to add "as long as John is an active collector his 46 - date set will never be passed"

Onlyroosies

I would just like to get back on top in the Silver Roosies Complete Variety non FB Set. It's the only set I have a shot at! :o

John’s now owns an 18-D Dime that should likely PL as well! A good start if they modify the registry point structure!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

@wondercoin said:
    John’s now owns an 18-D Dime that should likely PL as well! A good start if they modify the registry point structure!

Wondercoin

They should never give extra points for PL in the current sets. They could create sets for PL coins like they do for the Morgan Dollars.

@DIMEMAN said:
    I would just like to get back on top in the Silver Roosies Complete Variety non FB Set. It's the only set I have a shot at! :o

Better start collecting MS68's!!!

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Better start collecting MS68's!!!

Don't need to...….just fill more holes. I am only around .47 behind him. 67+ is my limit on grade. If I had 68's I would be way ahead due to completeness.

All quiet on the Roosie front.

Danny is adding to his set on a daily basis as it seems. How are the silver MS67FB upgrades coming along @DANNY ??? Any updates you care to share???

Anyone get back from PCGS any PL's other than 2019-D's???

Later, Paul.

Hansen added a pair of MS68FB, 2018-P & 2018-D. Wonder where he got them.

edited July 18, 2019 7:55PM

Currin. I believe Justin (monstercoinmart) sold one publicly on eBay. Easy to check completed sales there.

Wondercoin

@Currin said:

I see a 2018P 68FB and a 2018D 67FB in Hansens set. I know the 2018D 68FB is a pop 2/0 and
    Halcyon has one. If DH picked up the other one what set did he put it in. I looked in several of
    his sets and did not find it.

@Stooge said:

Danny is adding to his set on a daily basis as it seems. How are the silver MS67FB upgrades coming along @DANNY ??? Any updates you care to share???

Danny's on vacation right now and asked if I would respond to Paul's question. I'm vetting his NGC and PCGS clad dimes at the present. You will see a complete NCG Silver Roosie set all MS67 and all blast white for sale on GC shortly. Anyone looking for a complete blast white NGC set that was graded 20 years ago here it is. Most all of Danny's other NGC Roosies will be listed on GC. Of the 11 MS68's he had only 4 are left and will also be on GC.

Danny has a fabulous clad set and many coins have been sent to PC for another look. As PC goes through them you will be able to see the coins updated in his set.

I have no news on Danny's 1300 silver Roosies as Heritage is handling them at this time. I can tell you if any are to be sold Danny will be making that decision after he gets them all back.

Danny has a great love for these little silver disc's and has now decided to build a top 5 1946 - Date Roosie set with his son. He may decide to keep all his dimes and continue to build several sets. His set has solidly captured the #4 spot in the registry.

Danny is back and we have our long lost Roosie Buddy back.

@onlyroosies said:

@Currin said:

I see a 2018P 68FB and a 2018D 67FB in Hansens set. I know the 2018D 68FB is a pop 2/0 and
    Halcyon has one. If DH picked up the other one what set did he put it in. I looked in several of
    his sets and did not find it.

Confirmed, he has them. I have both the 2019-D/P in MS68FB now, but missing the 2018’s, go figure.

Thanks for the update Nick.

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:
    Confirmed, he has them. I have both the 2019-D/P in MS68FB now, but missing the 2018’s, go figure.

Wow! The 19P in 8FB is a pop 4/0. Nice that you were able to get one.

@onlyroosies said:

@Stooge said:

Last year L & C coins had 6 First Strike 2018-P’s for $600, then dropped the price to $400. Not sure where they went but I passed. This year they had the FS 2019-P’s for $100 and I bought the 2nd of 3 they had. They were all gone in less than 18hrs.

If they want to sell me the 18-P for that price I’m a buyer. 😎

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

@Stooge said:

Last year L & C coins had 6 First Strike 2018-P’s for $600, then dropped the price to $400. Not sure where they went but I passed. This year they had the FS 2019-P’s for $100 and I bought the 2nd of 3 they had. They were all gone in less than 18hrs.

If they want to sell me the 18-P for that price I’m a buyer. 😎

Looks like Paul is playing in the deep end of the pool now! :o

@onlyroosies said:

@Stooge said:

Danny's on vacation right now and asked if I would respond to Paul's question. I'm vetting his NGC and PCGS clad dimes at the present. You will see a complete NCG Silver Roosie set all MS67 and all blast white for sale on GC shortly. Anyone looking for a complete blast white NGC set that was graded 20 years ago here it is. Most all of Danny's other NGC Roosies will be listed on GC. Of the 11 MS68's he had only 4 are left and will also be on GC.

Danny has a fabulous clad set and many coins have been sent to PC for another look. As PC goes through them you will be able to see the coins updated in his set.

I have no news on Danny's 1300 silver Roosies as Heritage is handling them at this time. I can tell you if any are to be sold Danny will be making that decision after he gets them all back.

Danny has a great love for these little silver disc's and has now decided to build a top 5 1946 - Date Roosie set with his son. He may decide to keep all his dimes and continue to build several sets. His set has solidly captured the #4 spot in the registry.

I've been in conversation with Danny this past week as he bought 6 of my extra Roosie Silver Varieties. He is a real nice guy and enjoyed talking to him.

• DANNYDANNY Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:

@Stooge said:

Thanks Nick for covering for me while I was away. I actually traveled to Oklahoma to visit one of my three sons and was able to bring my grandson back to Kentucky with me so that he can stay a couple of weeks with my wife and I...........
    Foe everyones information, Nick will also be vetting the approximately 1300 PCGS Silver Mint State Roosies ( about 1000 MS67 and 300 MS66) for me in the very near future.
    He is anxiously awaiting their arrival.
    Who knows what he might find??? (Plus upgrades, numerical upgrades, varieties, proof like)?
    All of my silver Roosies were graded by PCGS and bought by me BEFORE PCGS began the Full Band grading designation.
    I hope I am able to share Nicks new findings with my fellow Roosie collectors as the upgrades become available.
    Danny

Amazing!

Just think about this for a minute. You have 1,000 MS67 silver graded PCGS dimes that haven't been seen in 20+yrs. That is what I call a "Saddle Ridge Find". Dude you may be sitting on a gold mine.

Later, Paul.
  • TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DANNY said:

@onlyroosies said:

@Stooge said:

Thanks Nick for covering for me while I was away. I actually traveled to Oklahoma to visit one of my three sons and was able to bring my grandson back to Kentucky with me so that he can stay a couple of weeks with my wife and I...........
    Foe everyones information, Nick will also be vetting the approximately 1300 PCGS Silver Mint State Roosies ( about 1000 MS67 and 300 MS66) for me in the very near future.
    He is anxiously awaiting their arrival.
    Who knows what he might find??? (Plus upgrades, numerical upgrades, varieties, proof like)?
    All of my silver Roosies were graded by PCGS and bought by me BEFORE PCGS began the Full Band grading designation.
    I hope I am able to share Nicks new findings with my fellow Roosie collectors as the upgrades become available.
    Danny

Nick is gonna have a field day. That sounds like a fun project. Sounds like an incredible collection. Good luck!

• I have a question on Roosevelt dimes. I have recently been involved in collecting high quality Roosevelts. I came across several dimes that I had sent out and got back.I had just last week sent one of my dimes to have PCGS do a current crossover on the dime to see if it meets their grading standards. If the dime meets their standards and meets the crossover to PCGS, then it will be the top pop Roosevelt dime for this date. How do I then go about getting a value. Does PCGS then put a price on it in their guide?

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@saturn said:
    I have a question on Roosevelt dimes. I have recently been involved in collecting high quality Roosevelts. I came across several dimes that I had sent out and got back.I had just last week sent one of my dimes to have PCGS do a current crossover on the dime to see if it meets their grading standards. If the dime meets their standards and meets the crossover to PCGS, then it will be the top pop Roosevelt dime for this date. How do I then go about getting a value. Does PCGS then put a price on it in their guide?

What's the date and grade? Knowing that piece of information, we should be able to help you out further.

• It was graded by ANACS. When I originally sent in the dime I thought it would hit MS68. ANACS has always graded my coins hard but that is the way it goes. Well they sent the 1980 D Roosevelt dime back with a MS67 FSB grade. The bands are very nice on the coin. A week ago I sent it into PCGS and shortly within 4 days they will start grading the coin because I chose express grading of the coin because I am curious if the grade will stand up. I sent it to PCGS as a current crossover grading. I also have a lot of coins by PCGS and I like them too. Heritage told me the coin should be crossover graded by PCGS to stand a chance at auction. Well if it makes it it is top pop for that year. I guess in 1980 D very few made full bands so I have a chance at a winner I hope.

@saturn if you get this 1980-D into a PCGS MS67FB slab, you will not need to send this dime to Heritage as it will see a handsome offering made right here.

Good luck.

Later, Paul.
  • I sure am hoping things go my way,thanks. I have looked at a lot of coins under a loupe for the last 50 years plus. I loved the coin and I have several other top pop Roosevelt dimes in my collection. Thanks again.

1975-No/S Roosevelt Dime PCGS PR68 in upcoming Heritage sale. It's the pop (1/0) of 2 known.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/roosevelt-dimes/dimes/1975-10c-no-s-pr68-pcgs/p/1299-26003.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

My pre auction guess is $400,000.

Later, Paul.
  • KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

$500k easy, and that’s without juice. I just hope a billionaire other than Hansen gets it.