Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #6

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 11, 2019 12:06AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Every once in a while I have been asked to start a new Roosie thread since I started the first one back a few years ago after I decided to get back to collecting these little gems. Usually it's to celebrate a milestone achievement in someone elses set, but today I get to say it is my set I'm gloating over.

I finally finished the silver portion of my Roosie set 100% complete, 100% Full Bands, all MS66FB or higher. This is a feat I haven't done before as I concentrated on the clads usually, but this time I'm doing both. Now my set is just a work in progress and is now in 7th place. I plan on upgrading until I can't afford anything further or something else happens.

The last coin in question was a 1958 MS66FB which I had to pay dearly for. It seems to be an all there dime from what the TV shows. Best looking bands I've seen on a '58 in my days of searching. Here is a picture of said coin:

MS66FB

Now that I have finished this set, my immeadiate goal is to get everything in 66+FB, then up to 7's and beyond.
Here is my set as it stands today. Thanks for looking and as always comments are welcome.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/roosevelt-dimes-major-sets/roosevelt-dimes-fb-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1946-1964/publishedset/152390

Later, Paul.

Comments

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Paul, first and foremost. We missed you at FUN. A BIG congratulations to you on your 100% FB completion. Am beginning to open up to the idea of having a complete FB set. I was watching your 58P tonight, and was shocked to see the final price it realized. Are you thinking it will 67?

I'd like to finish by saying that your 55-D is beautiful, and that I feel honored to know that my old 53-P is in such a nice collection.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:
    Paul, first and foremost. We missed you at FUN. A BIG congratulations to you on your 100% FB completion. Am beginning to open up to the idea of having a complete FB set. I was watching your 58P tonight, and was shocked to see the final price it realized. Are you thinking it will 67?

I'd like to finish by saying that your 55-D is beautiful, and that I feel honored to know that my old 53-P is in such a nice collection.

Thanks for the great comments. It's the first '58 I've liked, not to mention it's the first one in 66FB to come along in a long while. For some reason they just don't pop up. The last on to sell cashed at $464 on eBay in May 2018. I knew it was going to be a strong price, but was hoping for less. I put my 1 shot nuclear bid in with about 3 seconds to go. As far as it upgrading, it will see a trip out west in it's future. I'll take anything I can get, but would be grateful for a 66+FB.

Later, Paul.
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Paul on achieving your goal. Really is a nice set!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set! I like the mix of white coins and toned coins. Good job reaching for the 58

@Stooge

1958 Roosevelts with FB sure are difficult to locate. According to the population report, it is the lowest populated date with Full Bands. I remember a year or two ago on eBay there was a 66FB selling in an eBay auction, it was a white coin. The bid was $100ish up until ten seconds til the close of the auction. I prefer ones with color compared to white ones, so yours sure is nice in my opinion!

I am so glad you completed your set. Can't wait to join you at the top.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now on to the upgrades!!

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats Paul, When I sold my Last set the 58P was the only date I needed in FB to have a complete FB set. It is
    the toughest to locate in FB.

As of today there are 103 1958P Roosies graded FB in all grades. It is second only to the 1949S where 102 have
    been graded FB in all grades. Seems there is always a 49S FB coin available somewhere. Not so for the 58P.

Great Set Paul. Hope to see you next year at FUN

Nick

@erwindoc said:
    Now on to the upgrades!!

Absolutely! Not really worried about the registry rankings, but would like to have a really solid set. It was certainly fun to assemble.

Later, Paul.

Did anyone see the pop 2 PCGS 1987-P MS67+FB on eBay???
    Only $3,000 + $47.87 shipping.
    Any thoughts???

Later, Paul.

Didn't see it, but that is impressive!

@Stooge said:
    Did anyone see the pop 2 PCGS 1987-P MS67+FB on eBay???
    Only $3,000 + $47.87 shipping.
    Any thoughts???

Yep I saw it. I had the pop 1/0 which John now has. So his went to pop 2/0. Great for John if the eBay coin sells.

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paul,
    Looks sweet!!!

• AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Viewed the set today, congrats Paul looks great!

Anyone see the 1966 MS68FB sell on GG for $1750 with the juice tonight?

Who pulled the trigger???

Later, Paul.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTG Paul. That 58-P is pretty. I am trying to upgrade all of my 66's to 67's and the varieties as good as I can find.

@Stooge said:

I missed it. I would have paid more. I think that's a bargain for that coin. my guess is that it shows up in Hansens set.

@onlyroosies said:

@Stooge said:

I missed it. I would have paid more. I think that's a bargain for that coin. my guess is that it shows up in Hansens set.

Personally I think it's at least a $2,500+ coin.

Later, Paul.

There is another big clad coming up soon(1967 MS68FB), if I remember. It was originally listed as NGC, but they have now corrected it.

So who dropped 2K on the pop (1/0) 1969-D PCGS MS68FB on GC last night?

It’s certainly a nice dime!

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:
    So who dropped 2K on the pop (1/0) 1969-D PCGS MS68FB on GC last night?

It’s certainly a nice dime!

Not Hansen

• MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I was the underbidder on it. I noticed that it was in Hansen’s registry set before the auction was over.

I see it in Hansen's set and it was put there before the auction ended. I remember when the pop 1/0 47P 68FB was on
    GC and Hansen added it to his set before the auction closed. Then he removed it and it showed up in the Halcyon set.
    So, Did Hansen win it or not..... NOT, Watch it disappear from his set.

I heard from someone who saw it in hand and said the coin was all there for the grade. I think $2K was a steal for that coin.
    If I still had my set I would have bid way above $2K for the 69D 68FB. I did not win the coin, But only because I'm out of the game...…………….. For Now

Onlyroosies

• MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I bid just shy of $2,300 all in, figuring that it’s a $3000 coin. I didn’t continue going since the person outbidding me was obviously going to go much higher and I would’ve only thrown another $200ish at it.

My pride and joy which I’ve been working on for 8 months. It’s becoming very difficult to locate one’s I can add to the set.

Anytime you find one, please give me a bill at.

The 1958 ms65 is a dupe and will be for sale, as I have an MS66 coming in the mail today.

edited March 26, 2019 10:10AM

I valued the coin at $3500 - $4000. if the coin had been offered to me pre auction I would have paid that for it. Going forward I will be reducing my values and buy prices based on this sell.

@onlyroosies said:
    I valued the coin at $3500 - $4000. if the coin had been offered to me pre auction I would have paid that for it. Going forward I will be reducing my values and buy prices based on this sell.

The coin is worth that now, but going forward there will be 2-3 more in the next few yrs. Look what happened to the 1965-1967 dates in 8FB. They all went up.

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

The coin is worth that now, but going forward there will be 2-3 more in the next few yrs. Look what happened to the 1965-1967 dates in 8FB. They all went up.

I'm glad I don't collect the Clads; heck, I can't keep track of the Silvers. :/

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
    edited March 26, 2019 4:09PM

If anyone wants some of my clad dimes, let me know. Ive been slowly bleeding them to the top players for a while now. Pretty picked over, but still some very nice coins hiding inside! Its over ATS if you felt like looking.

@erwindoc said:
    If anyone wants some of my clad dimes, let me know. Ive been slowly bleeding them to the top players for a while now. Pretty picked over, but still some very nice coins hiding inside! Its over ATS if you felt like looking.

I want some of those NGC Silvers!!!!

edited March 27, 2019 5:17PM

1949 S PCGS MS67+ realized $480 at 2019 Spring Baltimore show:
    https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-GQBC2

1949 S PCGS MS68 (made at 2019 Vegas Members Only Show):
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/37475247

Normally I wouldn't point out an ms68 with a pop of 5, but this is a key date and a coin I was personally bidding on as a 67+.

Nice score. To bad its not FB, Then it would be a $10K coin.

Nice looking coin, that's for sure.
    I like my newly acquired '49-S better... ;)

Later, Paul.

@ilikemonsters said:
    1949 S PCGS MS67+ realized $480 at 2019 Spring Baltimore show:
    https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-GQBC2

1949 S PCGS MS68 (made at 2019 Vegas Members Only Show):
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/37475247

Normally I wouldn't point out an ms68 with a pop of 5, but this is a key date and a coin I was personally bidding on as a 67+.

You told me your grading submission got slammed at the Vegas Show, the MS68 ain't getting slammed. :o

Jim, I don't think that was Gary's submission he's talking about

@onlyroosies said:
    Jim, I don't think that was Gary's submission he's talking about

Oops, my bad. :'(

The 1969D MS68FB was removed from Hansens set and I now see it in the Halcyon set. I'm not understanding Hansens thought process here. Why add the coin when you don't own it, then let it go so cheap? Nice score for John.

Onlyroosies

@onlyroosies said:
    The 1969D MS68FB was removed from Hansens set and I now see it in the Halcyon set. I'm not understanding Hansens thought process here. Why add the coin when you don't own it, then let it go so cheap? Nice score for John.

Onlyroosies

There are a few that have questioned this behavior. He's doing this with hundreds of coins that he doesn't buy. Glad it went to a Roosie collector. Sad to say, but any Roosevelt dime picked up by Hansen will drown in a vast collection of more "Important" coins and will never be seen again. He doesn't care one iota about Roosies, he just needs them to fill in a spot.

BTW, he just purchased the #1 Jefferson Nickel 1938-Date w/complete varieties recently. He is a force to be reckoned with.

Later, Paul.
    edited April 1, 2019 5:01PM

@onlyroosies said:

Onlyroosies

There are a few that have questioned this behavior. He's doing this with hundreds of coins that he doesn't buy. Glad it went to a Roosie collector. Sad to say, but any Roosevelt dime picked up by Hansen will drown in a vast collection of more "Important" coins and will never be seen again. He doesn't care one iota about Roosies, he just needs them to fill in a spot.

BTW he just bought the #1 Kennedy Half set. He is a force to be reckoned with.

Edited to change my comment from nickels to halves.

Later, Paul.
    edited April 1, 2019 3:42PM

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

Onlyroosies

BTW, he just purchased the #1 Jefferson Nickel 1938-Date w/complete varieties recently. He is a force to be reckoned with.

You're wrong. He likes the series very much. Sometimes after midnight when he's free and at home he goes on ebay and tries to cherrypick some varieties for the series.

While he the series. There are more important (historical) coins and more expensive ones to worry about.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2019 8:58PM

Interesting... the 1947-P Dime in MS67+FB that Justin sold tonight on eBay for $700 as pop 8/1 last appeared at Heritage (the same coin) as the pop 4/0 coin less than 2 years ago and fetched about $415 hammer plus BP. So, price up about 40% even though pop went from 4/0 to 8/1. An “apples to apples” example of strength coming into the Roosie market (even without Hansen buying).

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Are they 67+FB or higher? Or better date 66FB or higher (like 58-P)?

I was not talking about “widgets” here.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

One> @wondercoin said:

Interesting... the 1947-P Dime in MS67+FB that Justin sold tonight on eBay for $700 as pop 8/1 last appeared at Heritage (the same coin) as the pop 4/0 coin less than 2 years ago and fetched about $415 hammer plus BP. So, price up about 40% even though pop went from 4/0 to 8/1. An “apples to apples” example of strength coming into the Roosie market (even without Hansen buying).

Wondercoin

One sold on GreatCollections in December for just over $1K. Another recently sold in a private transaction for $800.

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to be the 1st to request Jamie send all his widgets to Paul and I ;) That would avoid any confusion :blush:

All kidding aside... I don't want to high jack this thread to state an obvious state of affairs. We are in a strong buyers market! I just picket up a Lincoln for my 1964 set on the cheap MS67 '64-D for $310 - $360 with the juice. Guide lists this as a $600 coin and I think it is a plus coin compared to others I've seen on CF and at auction. Yet now is not the time to get it re-graded - pretty much every thing I'm sending RAW their tough on (I don't want to use the word brutal cause that is not a fair statement) and stuff already graded is coming back the same grades. I think this is seen somewhat in all series. I'd apologize, but it's JMHO :)

Cointime... what does a 1964-D cent have to do with silver 67+FB Roosies? Proof modern Commems are weak too. Lol.

Wondercoin.

edited April 2, 2019 5:20PM

Stooge appears on board as well. Comment on that final piece to finish his collection...

“The last coin in question was a 1958 MS66FB which I had to pay dearly for”.

Folks get so “worked up” when someone points out the obvious that Roosies are getting “hot” again. ;).

Wondercoin.

edited April 2, 2019 5:24PM

@wondercoin said:
    Stooge appears on board as well. Comment on that final piece to finish his collection...

Folks get so “worked up” when someone points out the obvious that Roosies are getting “hot” again. ;).

Wondercoin.

I bought a 1958 65FB for $20 B)

Although it's only a 65...

Unfortunately, it doesn't trump my 67+ in the registry.

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin.

I think it depends on the date/grade/eye appeal of said coin.
    A 1959 MS67FB just sold on GC for $175 with the juice on 3/31/19.
    A 1959 MS67FB is for sale on eBay for nuthair short of $3,000.

It may be a sellers market or a buyers market. Depends on where ur buying it and who is selling it.

One thing for sure is half my set is empty in the clads and I'm very picky.

Later, Paul.