Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my latest addition. Graded as a 40 but has lots of luster for the grade I think.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

My latest Dime variety.

Repunching is minor, but still there. Color is wild and NOT Ricko approved! :o

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't like and laugh at the same time! @ricko

@DIMEMAN said:
    My latest Dime variety.

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    My latest Dime variety.

Congrats on the pick up! This one was part of my set until I upgraded last year. Glad she found a good home - she’s a beauty and as you know these photos don’t fully capture what a vibrant gem this is. Good catch on the RPD!

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jon - Glad you won the 06-S dime last week. Wasn't me bidding against you.

jedm - Nice '15 newp.

Pics for this PM, another with my kind of look, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Jon - Glad you won the 06-S dime last week. Wasn't me bidding against you.

jedm - Nice '15 newp.

Pics for this PM, another with my kind of look, PC55:

Sweet '09-O Vern. Expensive and very rare in AU!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

1892-O quarter. Heavily clashed dies. This one is estimated at about an MS63. Currently raw.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread has slipped way down- I feel compelled to post SOMETHING.

I've had this half for about 5 years. I found it raw on eBay at a giveaway price. Not the prettiest piece, but it's honest.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    This thread has slipped way down- I feel compelled to post SOMETHING.

I've had this half for about 5 years. I found it raw on eBay at a giveaway price. Not the prettiest piece, but it's honest.

Nice enough for filling up an Everyman set though

• Options

Jeff that one looks perfectly graded doesn't it? I like it.
    Here's my latest addition to my graded set.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 7:44PM

Picks for this PM, another coin with just the right look IMO, PC45:

Spectacular 97-S. That is a once in a lifetime coin IMO. Looks AU to me.

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Totally agree on above coin,looks like some luster on the reverse to warrant a 50 grade.
    I would love to own it.

Rob
  • Options

Nice 14-P Half Jeff.
    Nice 97-S Quarter ARCO.

Both very tuff dates.

• Options

I don't want to be the party pooper!

The 14 Half is a 58 from the pictures but is in the bottom 1/3 IMHO.

The 97-S quarter is what is it is. A nice 45!

• Options

I forgot to mention the 14-S Quarter, which is another tuff coin.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2019 2:05AM

@scodal said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Just won this last night on ebay. PCGS55 1906-S Dime with a little something extra in the MM. Had to step up big for this.
    Was I bidding against any of the Barber nuts out here. :o

Seems like choice AU prices can be all over the map when a nice specimen is involved and there's a big jump between 55 and 58 list price, as there was here.

The pop for AU58 1906-S dimes is in the single digits with the total pop across all grades on the lower end (9 in AU58, 178 in All Grades)... of the entire Barber series... not just dimes. Remember, no '06-S quarters either. The half is somewhat closer to the middle of the road at (15 in AU 58, 360 in All Grades) but finding a quality coin for an '06-S dime in high AU is something to grab. Also interesting to note that FS-301 does not look like Jon's coin either. Jon's is more dramatic IMO.

• Options

@jedm said:
    Jeff that one looks perfectly graded doesn't it? I like it.
    Here's my latest addition to my graded set.

Jed, Keep going after those quality halo'd two-bit workhorses! You are doing a great job there with the 'what-you-can-afford' selections you are making.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

I realize you go through many more halves than most of us on this thread. What characteristics would you explicitly describe on Jeff's '14-P half you feel would make it lower 1/3rd?

• Options

For starters Jeff is very good at taking pictures. Unless he bo booed the coin just doesn't have the luster I like to see!

@sedulous said:

@amwldcoin said:

I realize you go through many more halves than most of us on this thread. What characteristics would you explicitly describe on Jeff's '14-P half you feel would make it lower 1/3rd?

• Options

Was thinking about @DIMEMAN today... '97-S RPM dime.

NGC 45.

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Here is an old Hayes beauty (Michael loved this stuff o:)) and my own:

Craig

• Options

To keep this on the first page- I'm waiting on this one to join my collection:

• Options

The 97-S Dime looks like Machine Doubling, but the 07-S Quarter is definitely a RPM.

And that's a nice 02-O Quarter.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

1901-O dime. I was told on another forum that this 1/1 RPD might be new. The 9 and 0 are possibly RPD as well.

• Options

@jedm said:
    To keep this on the first page- I'm waiting on this one to join my collection:

It is a middle of the road date you will be proud to own when a nice coin like yours Jed @jedm shows up.

PC40

• Options

For the heck of it here's my '02 O Quarter:

It came out of a NGC AU 58 holder.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2019 7:42AM

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous & @DIMEMAN
    Nice examples guys and thanks for the compliments.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

Better than it graded from an overall quality perspective Jeff. Did you CAC it?

• Options

@kbbpll said:
    1901-O dime. I was told on another forum that this 1/1 RPD might be new. The 9 and 0 are possibly RPD as well.

Neat RPD. I have never seen a 1901-O RPD.

• Options

Great Barbers here guys!

• Options

David Lawrence mentions #101 0/0 and #102 9/9 for 1901-O, but neither of them are this one. The coin is also Obverse I, which I believe is an undocumented transition variety for any 1901 dime (and why I bought it, didn't see the RPD until later). Everything after 1900 was supposed to be Obverse II. Probably best for another thread sometime.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

No, I didn't send it to CAC. Almost all the coins I own with CAC stickers came that way.

I don't send coins in for CAC. First, I'm not a member. I did send about 12 Halves in through Mike Hayes (about 4 months prior to his passing). As I recall only 4 of the 12 stickered. I sent in pricy stuff and the insurance costs were very high.

CAC is not important to me; it's like ratings on a wine by a critic. A collector should be able to tell if they like the coin or not, just like I don't need a wine critic to tell me if a wine is good or not. But that's just me.....

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

No, I didn't send it to CAC. Almost all the coins I own with CAC stickers came that way.

I don't send coins in for CAC. First, I'm not a member. I did send about 12 Halves in through Mike Hayes (about 4 months prior to his passing). As I recall only 4 of the 12 stickered. I sent in pricy stuff and the insurance costs were very high.

CAC is not important to me; it's like ratings on a wine by a critic. A collector should be able to tell if they like the coin or not, just like I don't need a wine critic to tell me if a wine is good or not. But that's just me.....

Jeff,
    I guess that would be true if you don't ever plan to sell stuff. I don't have experience selling CAC, really, but I hear higher valuations are associated if you do. Tim

• Options

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff,
    I guess that would be true if you don't ever plan to sell stuff. I don't have experience selling CAC, really, but I hear higher valuations are associated if you do. Tim

Tim- Your comments are definitely common opinion. I've sold a lot of Barbers over the last few years- most due to upgrades. Most were PCGS straight grades, some CAC, but most not. I really didn't see a pattern of CAC selling for more, but nice coins certainly sold for more. Obviously my experience is limited and could very well change. In 10years when it's time to sell I may need to re-evaluate.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff,

Tim- Your comments are definitely common opinion. I've sold a lot of Barbers over the last few years- most due to upgrades. Most were PCGS straight grades, some CAC, but most not. I really didn't see a pattern of CAC selling for more, but nice coins certainly sold for more. Obviously my experience is limited and could very well change. In 10years when it's time to sell I may need to re-evaluate.

Jeff

At only 14.50 a coin (and then only if they CAC) you may want to reconsider. Who knows what the CAC model will look like in 10 years
    May not be an option when you want them
    Best wishes
    Jim

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Totally agree with you on this Jeff. I never thought to put it way before. :)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@kbbpll said:

When I saw this brought to the thread, I thought you might like it Jon. I know you have others unlisted... have you made efforts before to get those dimes recognized? and who or where do you go to start that process?

@kbbpll... nice dime!

• Options

@sedulous said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@kbbpll said:

When I saw this brought to the thread, I thought you might like it Jon. I know you have others unlisted... have you made efforts before to get those dimes recognized? and who or where do you go to start that process?

@kbbpll... nice dime!

For what its worth, I contacted ANACS about my coin, thinking it might be cool to have a slabbed "discovery" coin. Here is their response:
    "ANACS does not make discoveries. You will need to send the coin to an outside party such as Wexler or Wiles for the discovery to be published and then we will be more than happy to label the coin as "Discovery". The contact information for the two above can be found on money.org"

James Wiles is the CONECA/Variety Vista guy, Wexler is doubleddie.com. Unless I'm blind, Wexler shows only one, a 1907 Barber dime RPD (no other Barber denominations), and CONECA/Variety Vista has a few dimes under "19th Century & Misc" but they're all RPMs. I know there's a lot more than this so it didn't instill confidence as far as paying somebody to attribute, so I dropped it. Is there another resource?

I have an article in the current BCCS journal on "discovering" a third reverse hub type and two other transition year varieties (in addition to the 1901-O posted above). It seems like Barber dimes have not received the attention or online resources that they perhaps deserve, if somebody like me (numismatist wannabe) can "discover" an undocumented reverse...

• Options

@kbbpll said:

@sedulous said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@kbbpll said:

@kbbpll... nice dime!

For what its worth, I contacted ANACS about my coin, thinking it might be cool to have a slabbed "discovery" coin. Here is their response:
    "ANACS does not make discoveries. You will need to send the coin to an outside party such as Wexler or Wiles for the discovery to be published and then we will be more than happy to label the coin as "Discovery". The contact information for the two above can be found on money.org"

James Wiles is the CONECA/Variety Vista guy, Wexler is doubleddie.com. Unless I'm blind, Wexler shows only one, a 1907 Barber dime RPD (no other Barber denominations), and CONECA/Variety Vista has a few dimes under "19th Century & Misc" but they're all RPMs. I know there's a lot more than this so it didn't instill confidence as far as paying somebody to attribute, so I dropped it. Is there another resource?

I have an article in the current BCCS journal on "discovering" a third reverse hub type and two other transition year varieties (in addition to the 1901-O posted above). It seems like Barber dimes have not received the attention or online resources that they perhaps deserve, if somebody like me (numismatist wannabe) can "discover" an undocumented reverse...

Steve Hustad is the BCCS varieties coordinator in Minnesota. I'll PM his email address to you. - Tim

• Options

@sedulous That's OK I have it from BCCS journal. Guess I should turn on my email on here...

• Options

Speaking of unlisted Barber dimes, this one was sent to Steve and he stated it is a new variety... there are a lot more to be discovered out there @kbbpll

It is unfortunate to be cleaned, Steve said he wished a little bit more could be cleared out in and amongst the date there to get even more indication or pick-up-points on this piece.

Tim

• Options

@No Headlights said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff,

Jeff

At only 14.50 a coin (and then only if they CAC) you may want to reconsider. Who knows what the CAC model will look like in 10 years
    May not be an option when you want them
    Best wishes
    Jim

https://coinweek.com/coins/certified-coins-news/certified-coin-marketplace-cac-coins-bring-premiums-in-march/

• Options

Just back from our hosts. A PC58 1912 dime.

• T

• Options
    edited April 10, 2019 7:28AM

Here is an 1892-O quarter that also was returned with the 1912 dime. I'll leave with you the True View. PC53. Notice the mint-made lamination above the '1' in the date. I just got these True View's in - reduced for file size:

1912-P Dime True View:

• Options

After a bit of a hiatus, I have some new pics to post. This beauty is from Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Ah that Milo B) Very Nice.

...Got this one from Walt Kennedy a number of years ago. ...Another PC58

Craig

• Options
    All SwedeAll Swede Posts: 85 ✭✭

Craig, thanks and your 93-S looks excellent as well.

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options

Craig - Good looking 93-S. Haven't heard from Walt lately.

Pics for this PM, from Jim's No Headlight collection (first time for pics), PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys said:
    Craig - Good looking 93-S. Haven't heard from Walt lately.

Pics for this PM, from Jim's No Headlight collection (first time for pics), PC55:

Tough!

• Options

Something different- in honor of the big quake 113 years ago please post a 1906 S Barber:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file