Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

~14,400 Clad Half Dollar sets left.
    Still >20k 5oz silver.
    12.6k Gold proof & 4.8k Unc

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019 9:23AM

Is this what some would call "Make to Order"? :s :

How could purchasers obtain 'first strike' or even 'first day' .... not having the coins in their hands (if they do care with the designations)?

Hmmmm ....... they have 'the best FLOAT' ..... $$$ in without goods for a few months :#

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019 10:09AM

@Paradisefound said:

How could purchasers obtain 'first strike' or even 'first day' .... not having the coins in their hands (if they do care with the designations)?

Hmmmm ....... they have 'the best FLOAT' ..... $$$ in without goods for a few months :#

There is a cut off date for first strike designation which is I believe the end of the month February. That is why I cancelled all my orders due to the mint not being able to produce the 5 ozrs in a timely manor. As for how they get it I am sure they have a direct line to their Mint Director, Senator/Congresswoman/man guaranting their orders on time cause they can. ( Total speculation ) ( Ignore me ) . :D
    If you want the first day designation you have to be a dealer as that goes to them since they the dealers know better than the common folks. I am exadurating but you get the drift.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, paradise. That’s why asked the question how many were willing to put the money out to order from the Mint to wait for an unknown period of time.
    And then what happens if the dealers can’t fulfill the 70s?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:
    Still >20k 5oz silver.

Thanks for the "heads-up" Looks as if the Kennedy sets will be the 2d offer to sell out, after the BEP engraved print, which is selling on eBay for 3 to 4 times issue price.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:

@nurmaler said:
    Still >20k 5oz silver.

Thanks for the "heads-up" Looks as if the Kennedy sets will be the 2d offer to sell out, after the BEP engraved print, which is selling on eBay for 3 to 4 times issue price.

I knew I should of ordered 5000 engraved prints! :D

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:
    Still >20k 5oz silver.

Thanks!

Half Dollar sets may end up being the only winners here...other than maybe 1st Strike on the pucks.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:

They actually don't charge your credit card until they ship. So they don't get the float.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    The October backorder remains...
    So a question, how many would bother ordering, tying up the money in your CC, with that time frame?

They don't hit your card on the backorder until they ship

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    I agree, paradise. That’s why asked the question how many were willing to put the money out to order from the Mint to wait for an unknown period of time.
    And then what happens if the dealers can’t fulfill the 70s?

Actually, you could order 1000 sets and see if the price goes up and then just cancel before the backorder fills. It costs nothing up front to get in the backorder

• Options

My understanding is that the dealers would charge you once you order the first strike coins and then wait until they can for fill the orders to ship. By then, you are committed.

• Options

Kennedy Set is doing pretty good. Compared to the 1998 matte proof which was offered at the same price in a set and sold 62,000 in a six week period and was, of course, silver. I think the set has good break up potential.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    My understanding is that the dealers would charge you once you order the first strike coins and then wait until they can for fill the orders to ship. By then, you are committed.

Dealers would. Mint doesn't. I was referring to buying directly from the Mint

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for that...I can't remember the last time I bought anything clad and now I will be sending a crapload (for me) of unopened sets off for that "Original Mint Set" label

• Options
    edited February 4, 2019 2:53PM

@BigA said:

Thanks for that...I can't remember the last time I bought anything clad and now I will be sending a crapload (for me) of unopened sets off for that "Original Mint Set" label

It wont be for the SET as their not giving that option. Only Individual Clad and Kennedy label but you still get the special astronaut label! That has to be worth something right? That would be if I am reading your post correctly. Some times I can't read.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

These last Kennedy sets should have the correct printing on the outer sleeve? Yes?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@ECHOES said:
    These last Kennedy sets should have the correct printing on the outer sleeve? Yes?

It should. What did the nice people at the Mint say?

• Options
    edited February 4, 2019 5:52PM

Found it, ordering a second set.
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2019/01/apollo-11-half-dollar-set-packaging-contains-mistake.html

EDIT to add:

“Approximately 70,000 units were shipped before the error was discovered,” according to a statement released by the U.S. Mint the afternoon of Jan. 29. “Plans to reprint sleeves with the correct information are underway. Instructions for ordering corrected sleeves will be made available at a later date. We expect a delay in the shipping of remaining Half Dollar Set orders. Those orders will begin shipping as soon as the corrected packaging is on hand.”

USM064304XX / One Kennedy set with 'Correct' outer sleeve... ;)

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2019/01/apollo-11-half-dollar-set-packaging-contains-mistake.html

EDIT to add:

“Approximately 70,000 units were shipped before the error was discovered,” according to a statement released by the U.S. Mint the afternoon of Jan. 29. “Plans to reprint sleeves with the correct information are underway. Instructions for ordering corrected sleeves will be made available at a later date. We expect a delay in the shipping of remaining Half Dollar Set orders. Those orders will begin shipping as soon as the corrected packaging is on hand.”

So, my question is, Will the correct printed Half Set, be worth more than the 70,000 sets with the printing error ?

• Options

@JazzmanJAB said:

@ECHOES said:

EDIT to add:

So, my question is, Will the correct printed Half Set, be worth more than the 70,000 sets with the printing error ?

Have no clue...
    I want one of each.

• Options

@JazzmanJAB said:

@ECHOES said:

EDIT to add:

NO, absolutely not. They are making the corrected cover available to the 70,000 people.

• Options

Nope we have seen this before with a corrected certificate of authenticity (Mint paper work).
    For those old dogs, do you remember that incident?
    No big deal and not an “error” for the coin.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Nope we have seen this before with a corrected certificate of authenticity (Mint paper work).

Johnson Coin And Chronicles had mint packaging error. There’s no premium on these.

• Options

Welll done on the memory Dennis!

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint has decided it's easier to just strike over the FG initials with GR on the coin and keep the packaging the same. ;)

• Options
    edited February 4, 2019 8:46PM

I sent my 1 Blemished 5 Ouncer back to the Mint for a refund but Here are some nice looking Black Labels don't they look like money? :o Black Gold -Texas tea Movie Star's

2019 P 5 oz Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Proof Silver Dollar PCGS PF 69 FS (Moon)
    Volume pricing:
    1-4 $315.00 (each)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-P-5-oz-Apollo-11-50th-Anniversary-Proof-Silver-Dollar-PCGS-PF-69-FS-Moon/183654087401?epid=13028650277&hash=item2ac2a2fae9:g:lzoAAOSwLgpcS4Sz:rk:2:pf:0

Dang don't this look like Black Gold! To the Moon!
    Price:US $137.99
    2019 P 1oz Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Proof Silver Dollar PCGS PR70DCAM FS
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-P-1oz-Apollo-11-50th-Anniversary-Proof-Silver-Dollar-PCGS-PR70DCAM-FS/192814116636?hash=item2ce49def1c:g:yqoAAOSw0LhcUmHH:rk:1:pf:0

I just wish I had s bag full of money. I would be buying and prices are not bad either.

If your a dealer after all a dealer has to eat too!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone received the fixed sleeve set?

• Options
    edited February 4, 2019 9:26PM

@Hemispherical said:

What is that if you don’t mind me asking?

Or is this the set you were referring to?
    Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof Half Dollar Set

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:

AND ... the 2003-S Silver Proof 10-coin Mint Set. Those actually carried a premium for a while.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@Hemispherical said:

Yes -- correct. To correct an informational error, see a few pages back.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2019 9:59PM

@Akbeez said:

@Gluggo said:

@Hemispherical said:

Well then I got 3 packages from the Mint Alll with them thar sets in them . Today I sent some to PCGS for only individual grading. 1 the half clad and 1 the Kennedy coin. But Not to be labeled as A SET.

The rest are going to NGC cause they are offering the set label which PCGS is not. But yes I got all of my orders. Now I am waiting for my posters from the mint.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019 11:31PM
  • Options

@Gluggo said:

@Akbeez said:

@Gluggo said:

@Hemispherical said:

Well then I got 3 packages from the Mint Alll with them thar sets in them . Today I sent some to PCGS for only individual grading. 1 the half clad and 1 the Kennedy coin. But Not to be labeled as A SET.

The rest are going to NGC cause they are offering the set label which PCGS is not. But yes I got all of my orders. Now I am waiting for my posters from the mint.

Thank you! I was checking to see how fast the mint went through the first 70,000 or so.

Was tempted to get more sets but will wait for the Mint to send the sleeves only.

Wow! About 3.9” in diameter and 1/10oz of gold, too

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2019 5:05AM

@Gluggo said:

@BigA said:

It wont be for the SET as their not giving that option. Only Individual Clad and Kennedy label but you still get the special astronaut label! That has to be worth something right? That would be if I am reading your post correctly. Some times I can't read.

I didn't say that my clad sets were going to our host...I WILL get the "set" and ASF labels with my unopened boxes

5 oz saucers will probably go to our host....

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@Akbeez said:

@Gluggo said:

@Hemispherical said:

Thanks was seeing how quickly the Mint went through/shipped the first 70,000 or so before they started on the fixed sleeve sets.

@nurmaler said:

And here we thought the 5oz coins were big...

That is a big one, more than 3.9” in diamater and includes 1/10oz of a golden moon.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2019 9:16AM

Yep I threw in the towel and decided to buy one from the Big Boys Dealer and got me a Black Label one. Of course its a 69 but what the heck if you cant beat them might as well join them. Cost wise its only an additional 15 bucks on my side. B)

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually like the PCGS Black label Earth rising, and so I also bought graded FS 70's from dealers for all the other coins I need for my commemorative set except the pucks, which I already sent in 4 of my lucky 5 early order. One had a small scratch but the rest were actually good enough for me to gamble on for 70's. I will just get the regular FS label for them.

The larger dealers get a better volume discount, so sending in only a handful of clads, etc. is really pricy especially if any end up 69's.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2019 10:04AM

Awesome Goldminer and thank you for the tip! I wish you good luck on the grading!

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone still looking for the 5 oz pucks?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

I stopped looking when I realized they were still at the Mint.

• Options

@dmwest said:

R U just curious or trying to sell?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

sell....I hear you are paying double? :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

The only pucks I care about, are 4 that are in PCGS grading hands as of a couple hours ago, and I hope for 2 of 4 coins as 70's. Actually the flaws I saw on the other 2 were so small almost not visible except 6X, I really should get 4 -70's, but that never happens to me. However, the 4 I sent in did look very nice, so the Mint did a good job on the early ones at least. Way better than the Block quarters, etc.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

Contact numaler. He was buying.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

My guess is JM will pay double, if he has a buyer that will pay triple. LOL

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

My guess is JM will pay double, if he has a buyer that will pay triple. LOL

I would pay triple if I had a buyer paying triple+10%

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2019 1:41PM

New numbers out for Feb 3 from the Mint:

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives
    DateSoldIncreaseSoldIncreaseSoldIncreaseComment
    Gold$5 Gold Proof (19CA)$5 Gold Unc (19CB)BEP Print: Mission (B49296)
    1/25/201915,5447,7818,000First day sales
    1/27/201919,81219,8129,0669,0668,0008,000Gold Price: $418.75/$408.75
    2/3/201921,9492,1379,9849188,0000Gold issues on backorder
    Silver$1 Silver Proof (19CC)$1 Silver Unc (19CD)$1 5oz Silver Proof (19CH)
    1/25/201986,07335,38051,271First day sales
    1/27/2019105,136105,13638,72838,72860,48960,4895oz on backorder
    2/3/2019117,36112,22543,2514,52363,5983,1095oz on backorder
    Clad50¢ Clad Proof (19CE)50¢ Clad Unc (19CG)50¢ Proof Half Set (19CF)
    1/25/201929,56020,87749,825First day sales
    1/27/201934,43034,43024,22024,22069,15569,155
    2/3/201938,3093,87927,3653,14584,34915,194

This data will also be available in the third post of this thread...

• Options

No surprises in the new data.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    No surprises in the new data.

63,5198 is closer to 80,000 than it is to 1. :)

Don't quote me on that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file