Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I got my Apollo 50 cent pieces today and the first one I opened had copper showing all around the outside edge. Is this normal?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got my Apollo 50 cent pieces today and the first one I opened had copper showing all around the outside edge. Is this normal?

Yes

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @BackroadJunkie, your sales grid is appreciated.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:
    Anyone still looking for the 5 oz pucks?

R U just curious or trying to sell?

sell....I hear you are paying double? :)

Contact numaler. He was buying.

Yup, I could still use 5oz silvers at cost+ship+tad. Completed dozens of pleasant transactions with CCU members.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two dollars showed up today. Box was basically un-sealed, but both were in it. They are pretty cool. Probably should have got at least one 5oz. but had that money tied up in my true collection.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2019 8:56PM

I got an email from Liberty Coin my Black Label coin will be perfect 69 and I won’t be able to tell the 70 from the 69. At least I won’t have to worry about a blemish spot, unlike the coin with a blemish the Mint sold me.
    Here is the blemish hope you don’t get one of these. Maybe it’s a ghost!!! No the Star Ship Enterprise!

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2019 1:46AM

If anyone can get fresh 5 oz. coins in my hands by Friday (in CA) please send me a PM as well.

Wondercoin.

Edited to add.. thanks to those who are Express Mailing me coins on Wednesday. Anyone else can as well from the US and depending upon where you live, even shipping fresh coins to me before Noon on Thursday should likely get the coins in my hands by the 1:00 p.m. deadline on Friday the 8th. Write me for details today. Or, if we regularly do business, just get the coins shipped and we will talk later!

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Seems to me, based on last week's sales, that we are probably 2 or 3 weeks away from the Kennedy set going unavailable. I don't really like the price point on this set, BUT, I do think it may be the only coin in the Apollo releases that has any long term potential. There are still a LOT of Kennedy collectors and 100k is not a lot of coins.

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Seems to me, based on last week's sales, that we are probably 2 or 3 weeks away from the Kennedy set going unavailable. I don't really like the price point on this set, BUT, I do think it may be the only coin in the Apollo releases that has any long term potential. There are still a LOT of Kennedy collectors and 100k is not a lot of coins.

Another thing about these Kennedys is that they don’t seem to be as nicely made as their Apollo roomies. Out of 15 sets I studied, I found about 8 Apollos I’ll send in for grading, but only like 3 Kennedys. Some have what I’d call light pockmarks or frost breaks in the fields, and worse, mostly brown small spots. One had a bit of what looked like green verdigris; another had light brown spattered across the obv device. One Kenn was uniformly warmly toned, which I actually thought was interesting. Pics to follow sometime.

• Options

Down to ~11,350 Half Dollar Clad sets left. Anyone want to split the $610k and get this thing sold out?

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Has anyone received the fixed sleeve set?

My second set shipped, hopefully it will have the correct sleeve, will let you know... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@nurmaler said:
    Down to ~11,350 Half Dollar Clad sets left. Anyone want to split the $610k and get this thing sold out?

I'll take 50 if you take the other 11,300. :wink:

LOLZ

• Options

@nurmaler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:
    Anyone still looking for the 5 oz pucks?

R U just curious or trying to sell?

sell....I hear you are paying double? :)

Contact numaler. He was buying.

Yup, I could still use 5oz silvers at cost+ship+tad. Completed dozens of pleasant transactions with CCU members.

Bump

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

OK I have to ask.

How does Bullion Exchange, for example, get so many 5 oz pucks coins graded and pre-sold approx. 50 of the PF70 already???

Did they really have an army of Minions ordering the limit of 5 each from the get go? or did they have a special "distributor" channel to get access to so many coins?

And same thing with the grading service. Do they have an insider to push these to 70? Im sure hate to pre sold any pf70 coins but later found out the 70 to 69 ratio is liked the Block Island quarter grading ratio.

thoughts?

• Options

@Sweetpie said:
    OK I have to ask.

How does Bullion Exchange, for example, get so many 5 oz pucks coins graded and pre-sold approx. 50 of the PF70 already???

Did they really have an army of Minions ordering the limit of 5 each from the get go? or did they have a special "distributor" channel to get access to so many coins?

And same thing with the grading service. Do they have an insider to push these to 70? Im sure hate to pre sold any pf70 coins but later found out the 70 to 69 ratio is liked the Block Island quarter grading ratio.

thoughts?

They buy them on the secondary market just like Nurmaler or Wondercoin. There is NO BACK DOOR.
    And if you really want to get banned from this site, continue to suggest that the grading service can be manipulated.

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2019 2:50AM

@planetsteve said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Another thing about these Kennedys is that they don’t seem to be as nicely made as their Apollo roomies. Out of 15 sets I studied, I found about 8 Apollos I’ll send in for grading, but only like 3 Kennedys. Some have what I’d call light pockmarks or frost breaks in the fields, and worse, mostly brown small spots. One had a bit of what looked like green verdigris; another had light brown spattered across the obv device. One Kenn was uniformly warmly toned, which I actually thought was interesting. Pics to follow sometime.

**My understanding is this Kennedy coin is the first and only coin produced by the mint with an "Enhanced Reverse Proof" finish. https://youtu.be/uY_MVzuMPf8?t=29

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taking order for the Puckie FS 70s and actually being able to fullfill those orders are two different things.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:

Too many ordered by me already....

• Options
    edited February 6, 2019 12:05PM

@Sweetpie said:
    OK I have to ask.

thoughts?

Hi Sweetpie!!!!! :)
    I never ever ever question the BIG BOY/BIG MONEY, on how they get it only get me mine and the price is about $7.00 more than if I buy mine after shipping cost's ect. Plus I sent them an email telling I wanted on that you cant tell is a 70 or 69 and they told me not a problem as they have a nuismatic employee onsite that will pick out a choice one just for me! B)B)B) Talk about service.

Now if you want to see what the M##t sent me which I sent back for a refund well if you blow this up you can see what appears to either be the Star Ship Enterprise going into warp speed or a possible X-File Ghost headed right for the Astronaut for a direct head shot!

One of the great members here reminded me as to why I would put up with such poor QC workmanship. I guess I am just cursed first the Palladium was a 69 Bomb and now this which might of graded to be a 68, Who knows but I was very depreeeeeeeeesed! :(:(:(:(:(
    Until Bullion Exchange to the rescue! :p:p:p:p Plus there giving me the Eilite Flagship "BLACK LABEL"! The regular public people's cant even order these there for the BIG DAWGS! but hey not complainin I got's me one coming in 8 day's!

Speaking of DAWGS my Izzy is awful cute dontcha think?

It a Ghost!

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s the going offer for pucks...I bought 5 but might be willing to part with at least 3...Mint sealed box was opened to confirm contents, but other than that everything is as received from the Mint.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2019 1:27PM

@RichR said:
    What’s the going offer for pucks...I bought 5 but might be willing to part with at least 3...Mint sealed box was opened to confirm contents, but other than that everything is as received from the Mint.

If the mint sealed box is open, I'm not aware of any premium in general. If you can get it to Wondercoin by Friday, he may pay a premium. It is the First Strike that has value which means either submit by whatever the deadline is or have the box still sealed. The other issue is cherry-picking. The assumption with an open box will be that you pulled any 70s out of the box. There isn't much premium on First Strike 69s (about $310 currently)

You can try and find someone too impatient to wait.

• Options

Or you can blame the "wife" opening your box o' pucks and cherry picking may have been an "accident"

• Options

I do agree with other posters hear about the gold proof and uncirculated, they are just so small that I don’t like them. Details are difficult to view unless under magnification. The 5 ounce ouncers are ideal and 100 ouncers might’ve been overkill.
    Half ounce gold would’ve been much better.

• Options

No rush for FS/ER since the cutoff dates are 2/25 & 2/24 respectively. No sealed boxes needed....yet...and I will assume all orders that were sent to "processing" have been delivered by now or will be this week

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2019 2:44PM

Bad link.....sorry.

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Wondering if there might be another mintage play here on the 5oz puck.

If the mint is gonna take till Oct 25 to fulfill the current backorders load as stated, wouldn't the Mint
    in theory, could only take on another 10-20k more till end of year before they hv to cut off production come Dec. 31st?

So the final mintage might be lower than the max. of 100k. Of course no one knows the mints' inner working...

• Options

@PipestonePete said:
    Offerings from the ASTRONAUTS MEMORIAL FOUNDATION....
    https://www.amfcse.org/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-commemorative-coin-program-

Dead link for me

• Options

@Sweetpie said:

If the mint is gonna take till Oct 25 to fulfill the current backorders load as stated, wouldn't the Mint
    in theory, could only take on another 10-20k more till end of year before they hv to cut off production come Dec. 31st?

So the final mintage might be lower than the max. of 100k. Of course no one knows the mints' inner working...

Current backorders = continuing to be ordered but admittedly at a slower pace. Once they catch up and start shipping I think these will disappear pretty quickly....they will take on as many orders as it takes to get to 100k

• Options

After the Izzy pic I feel obliged to post my guard cat.....ummm "Kitty"

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:

@PipestonePete said:

Dead link for me

This should work. PipestonePete was missing the end of the URL.
    https://www.amfcse.org/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-commemorative-coin-program-2019/

• Options
    edited February 6, 2019 3:36PM

@Hemispherical said:

@BigA said:

@PipestonePete said:

Dead link for me

This should work. PipestonePete was missing the end of the URL.
    https://www.amfcse.org/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-commemorative-coin-program-2019/

Thanks, Hemi. I tried to order two of the half-dollar sets but was allowed to order only one. It would appear that I purchased the last one they had in stock.
    "All coins offered for sale by AMF come from the official First Day of Issue Coin Launch Ceremony at Kennedy Space Center on January 24th, 2019. Only the coins submitted by AMF to PCGS will carry this “Launch Ceremony” pedigree."

• Options

@Sweetpie said:

Doesn't matter. If it doesn't sell out, it's because of lack of demand. Price doesn't follow mintages, look at platinum eagles. Price follows demand relative to mintage.

• Options

Doesn't matter. If it doesn't sell out, it's because of lack of demand. Price doesn't follow mintages, look at platinum eagles. Price follows demand relative to mintage.

There is always the possibility that these will be offered in another offering of some kind. As stated on the U. S. Mint page for this item..."Mintage Limit: 100,000 across all products".

• Options

@PipestonePete said:

There is always the possibility that these will be offered in another offering of some kind. As stated on the U. S. Mint page for this item..."Mintage Limit: 100,000 across all products".

Highly unlikely. No demand is no demand. And, more to the point, if they can't get them struck, what's the difference.

These pucks are nice, but they it is HIGHLY likely that they will not be a price winner. Don't let your passion override your reason.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo Izzy is adorable!!!!!! And that "ghost" is nothing more than a star nebula. That makes your coin priceless and extremely valuable!!!! Wait, what?? You sent it back? ohhhhhhh

• Options

@PipestonePete said:

But the mintage limit is STILL 100k

• Options

Thank Onastone yes that Izzy she can be a terrorist if she wants to but generally she is just a sweet little girl! In fact she blows my mind day after day. Its that Kitty I bought for her while I am at workie! She is the real terrorist! bigA like the smile!

Well look what I found? Its a special label pedigree ! Gonna cost me a few bucks though.

• Options

One of my pucks has a silver coated fiber on it. Grrrr

• Options

@Onastone said:
    One of my pucks has a silver coated fiber on it. Grrrr

Strike through? Or will it come off?

• Options

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back order date of 10/25 has a lot to do with demand. A lot more would be sold if they were available for immediate shipment.

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    Back order date of 10/25 has a lot to do with demand. A lot more would be sold if they were available for immediate shipment.

Maybe yes or maybe no. If there were any risk of a sell out, people would order them just to be in line to get one. You only hold of on ordering if there is sufficient supply for demand available.

100k is a LOT for a puck. Look at ATB sales. So far, sales are what would be expected for this type of issue, slightly higher than a normal puck. The mistake would be the unproven assumption that this particular issue should have significantly more demand. That does NOT necessarily have to be true.

• Options

@Onastone said:

Maybe @FredWeinberg or @ErrorsOnCoins can offer their insight on this.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought 5oz. in a PCGS holder. I'm thinking about putting legs on it and using it for a coffee table

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sweetpie said:

There's a good chance it will come in under 100k but I wouldn't expect it to be by much. I'd bet the farm it goes over 90k.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2019 8:33PM

<3 Izzy IS a Speak Easy CUTIE bomb B)

@Gluggo said:
    Speaking of DAWGS my Izzy is awful cute dontcha think?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

Maybe yes or maybe no. If there were any risk of a sell out, people would order them just to be in line to get one. You only hold of on ordering if there is sufficient supply for demand available.

100k is a LOT for a puck. Look at ATB sales. So far, sales are what would be expected for this type of issue, slightly higher than a normal puck. The mistake would be the unproven assumption that this particular issue should have significantly more demand. That does NOT necessarily have to be true.

Yes 100k is a Lot for a puck...but this issue is a bit unique

..First curved 5 oz. silver coin
    ..First proof 5 oz silver coin

Could be why sales after two weeks, even skewed by the out of stock issue, are already around four times the puck's normal final sales...and it costs more. I have bought both the bullion and P pucks for quite some time and this Apollo saucer blows them away

• Options

@BigA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

Yes 100k is a Lot for a puck...but this issue is a bit unique

Could be why sales after two weeks, even skewed by the out of stock issue, are already around four times the puck's normal final sales...and it costs more. I have bought both the bullion and P pucks for quite some time and this Apollo saucer blows them away

Obviously, I agree. As I said, the sales for this particular puck are higher than a normal puck. BUT, my point is that it is quite possible that 100k is too many to ever sell out even at the somewhat elevated sales.

People love space and I could probably sell a million $20 bronze medals. But $225 is a lot of money for the casual space collector who probably doesn't care that it is silver or curved or proof. I would say the same for the $5 gold: it is too expensive to have a huge non-numismatic following. There are some incremental sales, certainly, but I don't foresee this issue being a long-term winner. [As with most Mint products.]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file