Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its pretty light.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Its pretty light.

Just look at your order form and compare the tracking number

• unspendableunspendable Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

neighbor just brought mine, opened mailperson cant get the right house...

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sheesh!

Just like@Eagleguy above, UPS dropped my box off with the Dollars and Halfs on my door step, not even inside the screen door, with no signature, as required, and not even a knock on the door. A fail for UPS. Good thing I checked the "follow my delivery" feature and saw it was delivered. I could have waited for the driver to knock and get my signature and it would still be out there.

But, they are all perfect looking so I'm happy with that. Nice job by the mint.

Now it's the BEP Mission Engraving which is on the way. Maybe tomorrow. And the 5 oz which who knows when that will ship. My order is confirmed so it's just the unknown wait for more whatever, packaging, capsules or pucks, to be made.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

So...technical question for the audience...now that the silver dollars are .999 silver content vs. .900...are the new versions the same exact dimensions and thickness as the older dollars?

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto
    It's very hard to capture the mirror field without having my whole house reflected on it ;) Good luck with the new equipment and come see us in Maui again soon B)

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:
    Mine arrived today. It’s great, I’m happy to have one, and I’m dreading the absolute nightmare of photographing them. I had to order some new equipment to help.

Also, as I said, I ordered this with the New Frontier US Mint Medal, which is a fantastic, huge piece that’s an underrated gem.

Agree...I purchased the medal several years ago and now will be part of my Apollo 50th Anniv display.

In addition this recent released silver round will be part of the US Mint set produced coins.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unc gold on backorder.

——-

PF Gold: 1 May
    Unc Gold: 1 May
    5oz: 23 Aug
    Print: Unavailable

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019 11:24PM

@OPA said:
    Just received an email that my BEP Apollo Mission Engraved Print has shipped :)

Yep. Same here. Now I have four packages coming smartpost next month. (And there's something odd going on, hopefully it will straighten itself out today...)

That means the only outstanding item is the single 5oz puck in a brown box.

@RichR said:
    So...technical question for the audience...now that the silver dollars are .999 silver content vs. .900...are the new versions the same exact dimensions and thickness as the older dollars?

The specs say the same weight and same diameter, so I would think the blank would be slightly thinner, since silver is heavier than copper. The reason given was the dollar was easier to strike, so a thinner plachet would be understandable.

It would be hard to tell with this release, but since the next commem also lists as .999, it might be more easily measured.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Unc gold on backorder.

——-

Not anymore...order away if you so desire

@BigA said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Unc gold on backorder.

——-

Website is very fluid! Wonder if the site is programmed to pull production/order data and adjust accordingly. Or, someone (i.e., a person) is making the adjustments.

——-

20 July 1969

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Backorder date is now October 25, 2032 ( seriously oct 25)

edited February 1, 2019 6:27AM

I cannot find it. Was there an article about there being only one(?) press capable of making the domed 5ozers? Or something to the effect the production of them is limited/slow?

——-

20 July 1969

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    Backorder date is now October 25, 2032 ( seriously oct 25)

2032!!!!! :o:)

End of October???? Something is up.....

• nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

13,171 Gold Proofs "left" in backorder
    4,995 Gold Uncs "left" in backorder
    Again, that can change if someone places a 5k Unc order or 10k proofs, but key - ~18k left... total
    Both the 5oz Silver and Clad Half Dollar sets have >20k each.

• jabbajabba Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 8:55AM

I broke down and ordered a puck they are so cool! August is crazy but I guess the presses must be booked
    When I ordered yesterday it was still August ship date now I hear October from another post that’s crazy stuff but it would take the monster press to mint these and I’m sure they use it for all the other 5oz coins

@BigA said:
    End of October???? Something is up.....

They have to also make ATB pucks.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

All this is reminding me of those WW 1 Medals and Cadaver Coins. Is all THAT BS finally wrapped up?

I sure hope so.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finally opened by proof and unc mini-dollars and set of half dollars.

Proof looks good, probably not PR70. Unc looks good. Those curved capsules are so darn hard to get out of the felt liner in the case. I had to take out the felt and push the coin out from the back. Just like the BHOF coins.

The half dollar set came in the "error" sleeve. The proof Apollo half looks good and the JFK looks outstanding - that is a good looking coin.

The big shock was that there was a big wad of bubble wrap that secured everything in place during shipment.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 9:35AM

This delay just increases the value of the first strike coins with the pucks. I don’t know if anybody has an absolute number of those that have been shipped or can guess how many will be minted and received before the first strike cut off.
    Those will be the most high value pucks.
    For those that have received your 5 ounce silver Apollo’s, congratulations!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

@Hemispherical said:
    I cannot find it. Was there an article about there being only one(?) press capable of making the domed 5ozers? Or something to the effect the production of them is limited/slow?

You need to pay more attention, because I hate homework... :wink:

From coinworld:Apollo 11 3-inch silver dollar provides challenge in production:

The 3-inch silver dollars are being struck on a German-made Graebener GMP 1000 press. The press was assembled circa 2009–2010 in the basement of the Philadelphia Mint.

The press, the only one of this type owned by the Mint, was acquired for dedicated production of 3-inch silver quarter dollars for the America the Beautiful Quarters Program in bullion and Uncirculated versions.

And in the same article:

The 3-inch coins are being struck at the rate of 13 coins per minute, based on three strikes per coin at a striking speed of 39 coins per minute.

The actual number of coins struck per minute is much lower since each blank is hand-fed between the coinage dies in the coinage press and removed by hand after being struck into a coin.

All 100,000 coins maximum will be struck on blanks hand-fed into the press by press operators wearing cotton gloves.

And there is only one press capable of producing the 3-inch silver Proofs, the same press used to strike the 5-ounce silver American the Beautiful quarter dollars in bullion and Uncirculated versions.

The article was written about a month ago, so I assume the statement is still true. Thus, I wrote:

Keep in mind the Mint only has one press that can do 3" rounds, so we're probably looking at not only a slow process (13 coins per minute, mentioned in the old thread here), but it also has to strike the ATB pucks as well, which is on their own schedule.

I imagine the ATB pucks will take precedence. They have to get both the bullion and collectors versions out on schedule.

That means we may see the Apollo pucks trickle out of the mint for the next few weeks/months.

@BigA said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Unc gold on backorder.

——-

Both gold issue on backorder...

edited February 1, 2019 12:11PM

New article over on Coin World...

coinworld:Planchet supply, press driving shipping delays for Apollo 11 5-ounce coin

And there's the beast:

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

So, 135 reverse dies and 67 Obverse dies....and a special press...wonder how much it costs to make each die....

Don't quote me on that.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

There seem to be a lot of presale PR70's around $580 to $600 each for the pucks, but I don't see any official PCGS numbers actually graded yet. Might be wishful thinking that they will be easy to get.

I should get my order today and I will be looking closely before sending anything in. As the only US Mint ATB sized proof, I think a large percentage of real 70 First Strike labels might be a challenge especially with shipping delays,

edited February 1, 2019 12:47PM

@BackroadJunkie Thanks! I knew I read it somewhere; and that new article explains a lot; but opens the question of the blanks. Sunshine Mint must have a heck of a time with the sheets of silver for the 5ozers.

Edit. News video of Sunshine Mint.

“Published on Mar 15, 2013
    KXLY4's Derek Deis takes us inside Sunshine Minting on this week's Made in the Northwest.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3G2gM4kI8G4

@nurmaler

The pucks were at 60k just on Tuesday’s report. So they are now at almost 80k ordered with 20k left? At this rate they will sellout this coming week...

Don't quote me on that.

I will be surprised if they sell out next week, with what must be many cancellations due to ridiculous August!! shipping delays. If they sell 100,000 next week, but 20,000 are cancelled in the next 6 months, is it still a sellout?

.> @dmwest said:

@nurmaler

The pucks were at 60k just on Tuesday’s report. So they are now at almost 80k ordered with 20k left? At this rate they will sellout this coming week...

@dmwest said:

@nurmaler

OVER 20k remaining....could be 39k left

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BigA said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Unc gold on backorder.

——-

Both gold issue on backorder...

Had to be quick this AM to get "em.....

@dmwest said:

@nurmaler

greater than 20k left could be 40k left...

@Hemispherical said:
    @BackroadJunkie Thanks! I knew I read it somewhere; and that new article explains a lot; but opens the question of the blanks.

Does it?

Lowell is coming out Feb 7. If they're freely available at dealers, and the collector versions don't go to backorder right away, then the Mint had the 60K-100K blanks to do the ATB issue.

That would indicate the problem is sourcing the extra 100K for the commem, which would have been over and above the Mint's normal 5oz blank order.

Further, American Memorial is supposed to come out this spring, War in the Pacific this summer. No solid dates yet, but I somehow get this feeling that these Apollo backorder dates may lie between the releases (or at least the striking) of the ATB pucks.

We'll see how it plays out over the next few months...

“Published on Mar 15, 2013
    KXLY4's Derek Deis takes us inside Sunshine Minting on this week's Made in the Northwest.”

And right after that video was aired, silver dropped $10 (33%) over the next six months. (It did. I looked.) :D

@Goldminers said:
    I will be surprised if they sell out next week, with what must be many cancellations due to ridiculous August!! shipping delays. If they sell 100,000 next week, but 20,000 are cancelled in the next 6 months, is it still a sellout?

Cancellations will be reflected in the weekly sales totals.

Cancellations aren't returns, so they're probably immediately added back into available inventory.

• bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

This is purely anecdotal, but of the four 5 oz coins I got, two were pretty obviously 69s to me. Still impressive coins in hand. I have two that I couldn't find fault with.
    I already sent in both my gold coins for grading, as they both looked perfect to me. Hope PCGS agrees with me.
    I'm not sending in my two good pucks yet, as they have to be on their own order and the fees add up quick with the oversize holders at $20. I'm still thinking about those. If one or both made 70s, I'd be happy I did it.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 2:28PM

@bigole said:
    This is purely anecdotal, but of the four 5 oz coins I got, two were pretty obviously 69s to me. Still impressive coins in hand. I have two that I couldn't find fault with.
    I already sent in both my gold coins for grading, as they both looked perfect to me. Hope PCGS agrees with me.
    I'm not sending in my two good pucks yet, as they have to be on their own order and the fees add up quick with the oversize holders at $20. I'm still thinking about those. If one or both made 70s, I'd be happy I did it.

What imperfections did you see on the 5 oz coins that you graded 69?

Thanks.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

The BEP Mission Engraving showed up. All that's left is the 5 oz. candy dish cuz it will be so sweet when It arrives.

I received my box of Apollonian 5 ouncer’s today. I bet they are beautiful.

I just received my 5. I sent 4 for grading on my PCGS membership coupon. I may just keep the other one as a display piece. Based on what I received I think they did a good job and I am expecting 2 of 5 70's at this point. Time will tell.

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@nurmaler

I guess we will see next Tuesday.

Don't quote me on that.

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@nurmaler

Yup, but a zero or negative week is not impossible

Especially now with availability pushed back to October 25th....

edited February 2, 2019 6:30AM

@BigA said:

What? Wow! It is...

5oz: 25 Oct

——-

20 July 1969

Once again, these delays make the current ‘in hand’ coins more valuable, as first strike eligibility often dictates pricing.

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2019 7:38AM

@SoundPoint said:
    Would you say this statement is True or False?
    --->>51,000 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof 5-ounce Silver Dollar Coins were minted and available for sale on the First Day they were issued and all orders after the initial allotment sold are backordered and will be available WED, May 1, 2019 until the mintage limit is reached.

I'm guessing it was under 20,000. Knowing what we know now even 10,000 wouldn't surprise me.

@BigA said:

Y'all are going me make me grade my pucks. Looks like this might be an inevitability...

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file